News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

^ I'm thinking that's what the deal was with the new overpass and exit that Jason and I saw when driving through there a week ago. A sign is covered up for the new exit and there are barricades up, but the bridges are done. If this is where the welcome center is to go, then access to it will be from a standard diamond interchange.

Also, this street view image shows that the bridge is adorned with the Tennessee star. I don't remember seeing this when we came through because it was dark, but I wonder if that bridge got painted?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 08, 2013, 11:56:30 AM
Contract has been awarded for the I-40/240 interchange modification in east Memphis. The low bid was for $109 million.
Quote from: Grzrd on November 18, 2013, 02:07:10 PM
This TDOT press release states this section of TN 385 will open to traffic at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, November 22, 2013
(bottom quote from Interstate 269 thread)

This TV video reports that construction is about to begin on the I-40/I-240 interchange project, that Sam Cooper Boulevard will be reduced to one lane for a significant period of time, and that the section of TN 385/Future I-269 scheduled to open on Friday will partially serve as an alternative for traffic:

A major project will begin on Sam Cooper Boulevard after the holidays. That means headaches for drivers east of the city could continue next year.
Tennessee Department of Transportation crews are starting to make way for the new I-40/I-240 interchange.
"They're planning for it, after the holidays, closing Sam Cooper down to one lane," said Nichole Lawrence, TDOT. "That closure will last approximately 12 to 15 months." ....

On Friday, the state will open the final leg of Highway 385. The new highway should provide some traffic relief ahead of the upcoming construction, but drivers will need to get used to the new road.

codyg1985

Ugh, why did they have to slap "US" inside of the shields on the TV news report?  :banghead:
Cody Goodman

UptownRoadGeek

What the final project should look like..

UptownRoadGeek

txstateends

\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

lordsutch

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on November 20, 2013, 11:16:43 AM
What the final project should look like..

If the images are to be believed, the old left ramp from I-40 east to I-40 east is staying, although the TDOT website's diagrams don't show it. I guess some ramp for that movement needs to be included, since otherwise you wouldn't be able to access I-40 east from White Station due to split being west of the White Station entrance.

codyg1985

The image doesn't reflect the Wolf River bridge being widened.
Cody Goodman

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 04, 2012, 05:56:39 PM
The Memphis MPO recently approved its Priority List from its November 15 Agenda
I found it interesting that the I-55/ Crump Boulevard project, #2 on the list, needs a construction fund.

This article reports that work should begin on the I-55/Crump interchange improvement project in late 2014:

Nichole Lawrence, community relations officer for Tennessee Department of Transportation Region IV office in Jackson ....
New area projects slated to get underway next year include a new I-40 interchange at Canada Road, with work set to begin in the spring, as well as work at I-55 and Crump beginning in late 2014, according to Lawrence.

Here's an image of the project (page 30/168 of pdf):

Marc

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on November 20, 2013, 11:16:43 AM
What the final project should look like...
What is TDOT's obsession with left exits/entrances in this interchange?!
I have spent a good deal of time in Memphis and I must say it is ridiculous how long it has taken them to construct this.
I also would have reconfigured it like they did the midtown 40/240 interchange–to where you don't have to exit to stay on I-40.

lordsutch

Quote from: Marc on January 08, 2014, 02:54:21 AM
What is TDOT's obsession with left exits/entrances in this interchange?!

For I-40 eastbound, it makes I-40 the proper through route, as the midtown interchange reconstruction did. For I-40 westbound, bear in mind that the traffic is probably 50-50 between taking I-240 west and I-40 west, so a left ramp to I-240 is justifiable.  The redesign also provides 2 through lanes for I-40 in both directions, reestablishing some continuity. Now if only they'd fix the damn exit numbers to make I-40 the through route; all I can figure is someone at TDOT just doesn't want to use the number 11.

Having said that, they probably could have cut-and-covered I-40 underneath North Parkway to avoid Overton Park back in the 70s and 80s for less money than they've blown on midtown 40/240 and the different phases of east 40/240.

SFPredsFan

I remember all the debates to finish I-40 through Memphis that ranged from twin tunnels under Overton Park/Zoo, a bridge over it, and to bypass the park onto North Parkway. None got anywhere because of the NIMBY's. Which really sucks because the area around Overton Park is mostly ghetto and Overton Park and Zoo is really nothing special and a dangerous area. Of course, the people around it were all screaming racism since all of the neighborhoods effected are black. The rebuilds of east and midtown interchanges will cost over $300 million when all done when it would have cost to finish I-40 back then about $35 million in todays dollars. TDOT even offered to help relocate the Zoo, but when the only land available was the all white eastern Shelby County and another site near the jail, the racism card was used again and lawsuits threatened. Thus I-40 was dropped, I-40 exits east of Memphis are off by 2 miles, and the Overton Park area is still as shitty now as it was back then.

NE2

Sounds like the 'racism card' was accurate, racist.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

codyg1985

Quote from: lordsutch on January 09, 2014, 12:43:43 AM
Having said that, they probably could have cut-and-covered I-40 underneath North Parkway to avoid Overton Park back in the 70s and 80s for less money than they've blown on midtown 40/240 and the different phases of east 40/240.

But how easy would it have been expanded? Chances are all of I-40 inside of I-240 would have needed to be widened by now, and while that may not cost as much as the two interchange rebuilds, it still would have been a significant cost, and the interchanges may have needed revamping anyway.
Cody Goodman

SFPredsFan

All of I-40 (Sam Cooper Blvd) inside I-240 was built to 6 lanes with diamond interchanges and a medium wide enough to expand to 8 lanes and add a jersey barrier down the middle. As far as the cut and cover under North Parkway, a 4 lane westbound underground tunnel and ground level 4 lane eastbound freeway much like double deck freeways could've worked. Last time I was thru there North Parkway is not much to look at and they would be doing those houses a favor by tearing them down much like a lot of inner city Memphis.

NE2

Quote from: SFPredsFan on January 09, 2014, 07:27:24 AM
Last time I was thru there North Parkway is not much to look at and they would be doing those houses a favor by tearing them down much like a lot of inner city Memphis.
I know, right? They'd totally be doing those hep cats a favor by tearing down their houses. All they want to do is go out on the streets and run with gangs anyway.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SFPredsFan

You got it. I guess you've done a lot of walking around Memphis and lived to tell about it. Half of Memphis inside I-240 could be leveled and the rest of Tennessee or the USA wouldn't miss it. They don't just call it the murder capital of the country for nothing, rivaling Detroit. And I say that as a Tennessean that actually likes Memphis.

NE2

Quote from: SFPredsFan on January 09, 2014, 08:21:16 AM
Half of Memphis inside I-240 could be leveled and the rest of Tennessee or the USA wouldn't miss it.
Damn straight. Them three-fifths get rounded down to zero like they should be.

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on January 09, 2014, 08:00:09 AM
Quote from: SFPredsFan on January 09, 2014, 07:27:24 AM
Last time I was thru there North Parkway is not much to look at and they would be doing those houses a favor by tearing them down much like a lot of inner city Memphis.
I know, right? They'd totally be doing those hep cats a favor by tearing down their houses. All they want to do is go out on the streets and run with gangs anyway.

Does TennDOT not purchase property needed for highway expansion, nor offer relocation assistance?  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

A certain line from A Christmas Carol is suddenly coming to mind...

agentsteel53

Quote from: SFPredsFan on January 09, 2014, 08:21:16 AM
You got it. I guess you've done a lot of walking around Memphis and lived to tell about it. Half of Memphis inside I-240 could be leveled and the rest of Tennessee or the USA wouldn't miss it. They don't just call it the murder capital of the country for nothing, rivaling Detroit. And I say that as a Tennessean that actually likes Memphis.

meh.  rather be dead on the outside than dead on the inside.  if any region of any is need of leveling, it's places like Henderson, NV.  just useless suburbia.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on January 09, 2014, 12:03:12 PM
A certain line from A Christmas Carol is suddenly coming to mind...

God bless us every one?  :-D

SFPredsFan

Does TennDOT not purchase property needed for highway expansion, nor offer relocation assistance?

Yes, Pretty generous actually to head off lawsuits or having to deal with to eminent domain. They usually offer 150% appraised value, relocation cost, and up to a year to relocate sometimes longer. TDOT had already bought most ROW on the east and west side of Overton Park and 26 of its 342 acres were needed for I-40.

hbelkins

I was being a bit sarcastic -- ok, a lot sarcastic -- since SPUI played the race card as those of his ilk are apt to do.

Of course TDOT would pay for any property it buys for road improvement projects.

But 150 percent of assessed value? That seems a waste of tax dollars.

NE2

HB, you and your buddies play the race card every time you breathe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.