ICC Intercounty Connector

Started by Alex, August 27, 2009, 12:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on December 06, 2011, 08:31:32 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 06, 2011, 11:52:48 AM
WTOP Radio: Tolls mean drop in traffic on Intercounty Connector
Well, yes, but let's give it a few months (not just weeks) for traffic to first even out and then reroute based on the new baseline. Traffic will shift off the ICC, then discover traffic is bad again, then shift back, eventually reaching an equilibrium between fast travel and free travel. Then we can evaluate how many lanes the ICC really needed...

I agree with you about the "balancing" and "shifting" process, which will take some months to get worked-out among users of the highway network. 

I am also very curious to see what the westbound Md. 200 volumes are when there is a crash (with injuries) on Outer Loop of I-495 between I-95 and I-270/Md. 355 during the morning commute period.  In the past, I have frequently observed east-west arterial roads in eastern Montgomery County (E. Randolph, Fairland, Briggs Chaney and Md. 198) instantly fill with "bail-out" traffic when such an incident is reported on the radio.

Though I also think that 6 lanes was appropriate all the way from  I-370 to I-95 (and 4 lanes from I-95 to U.S. 1). 

Don't forget that there are some moderately steep grades that the traffic on this road has to climb - eastbound from the Northwest Branch bridge up to Md. 650 and from the Paint Branch bridge up to U.S. 29.  Westbound from Little Paint Branch to U.S. 29; from Paint Branch to Md. 650; and from the  Northwest Branch most of the way to Md. 97.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Duke87 on November 30, 2011, 06:01:46 PM
Quote from: oscar on November 29, 2011, 02:03:10 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on November 29, 2011, 01:33:14 PM
New York has been providing not only online statements but the ability to set up and modify an account online for years free of extra charge. I can log in and request another tag, discontinue a tag, change what car tags are registered to, make payments online, etc. Virginia needs to get with the program!

I hope the program doesn't include monthly fees just to maintain an account.  Virginia, so far, is fee-free if you can live without statements.

There is no monthly fee so long as you are a New York state resident. Out of state residents get a $1.00 per month fee, although this only applies to new out of state applicants. Out of state users who registered before the fee was implemented (my parents, for instance) are not subject to it.

Or those who register with an in-state address and then change it back.  I did that with a Thruway tag I picked up while in New York and I have not been charged any fees thus far.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Gazette: Future Laurel development plans triggers Contee Road changes
QuoteThe county's Department of Public Works and Transportation presented plans to more than 100 community members Tuesday for the realignment of Contee Road, currently a two-lane undivided road. Contee Road will be realigned to intersect with Virginia Manor Road east of Interstate-95 and expand the road to a divided four-lane roadway with sidewalks, medians and bike lanes. The $20 million project is expected to begin in the summer of 2014 and last for about two years, said Susan Hubbard, spokeswoman for the department.
QuoteVirginia Manor Road will be similarly realigned and expanded to accommodate increased traffic from expected developments, including the $3 billion, 2,200-acre mixed-use Konterra development just north of the Intercounty Connector which is expected to break ground in 2012.
QuoteThe planned extension of the ICC to U.S. 1, which is expected to open to traffic in early 2014, will include a partial interchange at Virginia Manor Road, bringing more traffic to what is currently a two-lane undivided road. The Maryland State Highway Administration also is in the planning phase for an I-95 interchange at Virginia Manor Road, north of the ICC.

cpzilliacus

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

oscar

Quote from: Beltway on December 30, 2011, 11:51:12 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 30, 2011, 10:53:31 PM
D.C. Examiner: In Maryland, Intercounty Connector use meets officials' expectations

12,000 ADT is low for a 6-lane freeway ... and what is the large truck percentage?

The quoted article says the ADT in the first two weeks after the freeway was completed to I-95, and toll collections began on the new segment and resumed on the old segment, was 21,000 (not 12,000) and expected to increase to 30,000 in a few months.   
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Beltway

Quote from: oscar on December 31, 2011, 12:08:33 AM
D.C. Examiner: In Maryland, Intercounty Connector use meets officials' expectations

12,000 ADT is low for a 6-lane freeway ... and what is the large truck percentage?

The quoted article says the ADT in the first two weeks after the freeway was completed to I-95, and toll collections began on the new segment and resumed on the old segment, was 21,000 (not 12,000) and expected to increase to 30,000 in a few months.   

Sorry ... I meant to post 21,000.

21,000 ADT is low for a 6-lane freeway ... and what is the large truck percentage?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on December 31, 2011, 01:12:24 AM
Quote from: oscar on December 31, 2011, 12:08:33 AM

Sorry ... I meant to post 21,000.

21,000 ADT is low for a 6-lane freeway ... and what is the large truck percentage?

By my informal observations, less than 5%, and maybe less than 2%.

I have seen some UPS "feed" trucks (tractor-trailers), a few tank trucks carrying petroleum products and an occasional Giant Food tractor-trailer combination (which makes sense, since most of Giant's warehouse and distribution facilities are now in Jessup, Howard County). 

But give it time. I think that the ICC will be serving more trash and recycling trucks (and I have suggested that MdTA should reach out to these haulers) - especially those trucks with routes in Eastern Montgomery County and Olney will save time, fuel and wear and tear on their fleets - if they use the ICC to get to the county's Solid Waste Transfer Station located on Shady Grove Road just east of Md. 355. 

I believe that the Transfer Station was sited there back in the 1980's in part because it was near the western end of the (long-planned) ICC and next to the CSX Transportation Metropolitan Subdivision, so that the trash could be hauled away by rail (which it currently is - there is a humorous (and accurate) description of the way that Montgomery County's trash is shipped a few miles up the Metropolitan Sub to the incinerator at Dickerson on the Pacer Farm site here).

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Take the ICC and exit at Norwood – where?

QuoteDrivers leaving the newly opened Intercounty Connector at Exit 10 for Layhill Road have a choice listed on the big, green overhead sign: They can head south onto Layhill to go to Glenmont or travel north to go to Norwood.

QuoteNorwood?

cpzilliacus

This was posted to the Greater Greater Washington site last week (sorry for not posting it sooner):
Why is the ICC so empty? How long will it stay that way?

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 09, 2012, 01:43:46 PM

QuoteDrivers leaving the newly opened Intercounty Connector at Exit 10 for Layhill Road have a choice listed on the big, green overhead sign: They can head south onto Layhill to go to Glenmont or travel north to go to Norwood.

Norwood?

Looking at the map, I'd have said Sandy Spring, given that the other two choices are taken by the adjacent exits. It's more than just Layhill Rd. at this exit, it's MD 182 (unless Google lies), and the two separate just south of Sandy Spring. At least that's a place name.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: The Situation™ on January 09, 2012, 08:10:46 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 09, 2012, 01:43:46 PM

Norwood?

Looking at the map, I'd have said Sandy Spring, given that the other two choices are taken by the adjacent exits. It's more than just Layhill Rd. at this exit, it's MD 182 (unless Google lies), and the two separate just south of Sandy Spring. At least that's a place name.

Norwood is not far north of the Md. 200/Md. 182 (Layhill Road) interchange.

The intersection where they intersect (separate?) is known to locals where the "Red Door Store" general store was located (now closed, building still there).

Md. 182 goes to the south as Layhill Road.

County road Ednor Road goes to the north and east.

County road Norwood Road heads to the south and east.

In the other direction, Md. 182 goes to the north and (slightly) west as Norwood Road.

froggie

Amongst other transportation points made (like a proposal to extend the sales tax to gasoline purchases), Gov. O'Malley was on WTOP's "Ask the Governor" this morning and mentioned that they're looking at increasing the ICC speed limit to 65 MPH (about 3/4 down the page).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on January 30, 2012, 12:11:19 PM
Amongst other transportation points made (like a proposal to extend the sales tax to gasoline purchases), Gov. O'Malley was on WTOP's "Ask the Governor" this morning and mentioned that they're looking at increasing the ICC speed limit to 65 MPH (about 3/4 down the page).

I heard that.

I was told by a personal friend on the staff of the MdTA (who I very much trust and respect) that the design speed of the road is only 60, which is why the speed limit signs read 55, though in my personal opinion, it could easily be posted at 65.

In  a perfect world, and since the ICC is so "wired" for electronic toll collection and the like, I would suggest that MdTA post New Jersey Turnpike-style variable speed limit signs - 65 (or even 70 in the overnight hours) when the road is dry, and a lower limit when there's rain or snow falling, or in the event of an incident.

NJRoadfan

Raising the speed limit would be a good thing on this road, its way over patrolled with MdTA police!

Henry

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 30, 2012, 03:21:38 PM
Quote from: froggie on January 30, 2012, 12:11:19 PM

I heard that.

I was told by a personal friend on the staff of the MdTA (who I very much trust and respect) that the design speed of the road is only 60, which is why the speed limit signs read 55, though in my personal opinion, it could easily be posted at 65.

In  a perfect world, and since the ICC is so "wired" for electronic toll collection and the like, I would suggest that MdTA post New Jersey Turnpike-style variable speed limit signs - 65 (or even 70 in the overnight hours) when the road is dry, and a lower limit when there's rain or snow falling, or in the event of an incident.
That's a great idea!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

treichard

If the higher speed limit is implemented, would this be the first freeway in Maryland with both a state route number and a speed limit above 55 mph?
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

cpzilliacus

Quote from: treichard on February 07, 2012, 11:18:06 PM
If the higher speed limit is implemented, would this be the first freeway in Maryland with both a state route number and a speed limit above 55 mph?

Yes, at least for now, it would be the only non-Interstate highway with posted limit above 55 MPH, though I can think of some others that could use a higher limit, including most of the limited-access sections of Md. 4, 5, 10, 32 and 100.

cpzilliacus

froggie

QuoteYes, at least for now, it would be the only non-Interstate highway with posted limit above 55 MPH

The US 13/50 bypass of Salisbury is 65 MPH.  But it'd definitely be the first state route to go above 55.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on February 09, 2012, 05:50:08 PM
QuoteYes, at least for now, it would be the only non-Interstate highway with posted limit above 55 MPH

The US 13/50 bypass of Salisbury is 65 MPH.  But it'd definitely be the first state route to go above 55.

I think the freeway segment of US-340 south of Frederick is is 65 mph.  Other than those, I don't think there are any other non-Interstate routes in Maryland that is above 55 mph.  (Counting US-50/unposted I-595 as an Interstate, it is 65 mph).

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

You're correct about US-340 being posted at 65.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

treichard

Some recent ICC speed limit articles mention that the ICC was not built to Interstate standards.  Which parts of the highway's design are substandard?
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

cpzilliacus

Quote from: treichard on February 10, 2012, 02:11:53 PM
Some recent ICC speed limit articles mention that the ICC was not built to Interstate standards.  Which parts of the highway's design are substandard?

None, as best as I know.

The to-be-built eastern end of the easternmost section, at U.S. 1 (Baltimore Avenue) will be a non-Interstate-standard at-grade signalized intersection.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.