News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-75 widening Toledo to Findlay / OH 15 Interchange

Started by Buck87, December 12, 2014, 12:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

I saw on Friday that they are currently installing concrete footers for cable barriers from Wapakoneta down to around Piqua. Based on that, it would appear that 6 laning this section is nowhere near being considered, as these are close enough to the shoulder that they would be in the way of any widening and would have to be removed.

Not really surprising given how the Lima upgrade was built, but still kinda disappointing.

VS988

Buck87

Buck87

They have also made a video showing every possible move though the future final configuration of the I-75/US 68/OH 15/Lima Avenue interchange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-c9VZVCDgI&feature=youtu.be

jecht

Quote from: Buck87 on December 12, 2014, 12:33:47 PM
A project to widen the 32 mile section from OH 199 in Perrysburg to Hancock CR 99 just north of Findlay has already begun, projected to be done in 2016: http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2014/06/18/Construction-begins-to-widen-I-75-from-Perrysburg-to-Findlay-copy.html

Another 5 mile section is proposed for the remaining stretch through Findlay itself, which includes redoing the OH 15/US 68 interchange with I-75. The interchange currently has Toeldo to Columbus traffic using a loop ramp to get from 75 to 15. Two of the three options for the new interchange would replace that with a flyover, the other would keep a loop there but increase the deceleration lane. All 3 options also involve new ramps to greatly improve access to/from nearby Lima Ave. http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D01/PlanningPrograms/Projects/hancock75/Pages/default.aspx

And on the topic of widening I-75 in Ohio, here's an article about why the big rebuilding project currently going on in Lima does NOT include a 3rd lane being added: http://www.limaohio.com/news/opinion_columns/922637/Jim-Krumel:-I-75-project-shy-of-complete-package

Thank you all for mentioning this! Question: Does anyone know why there are the massive mileage marker signs for various cities just outside Toledo headed SB? It is between MM 188 and 195, right before the 475 split.

I.E.
Lexington KY 400 miles (not sure if exact mileage)
Atlanta 800 miles
Miami 1300 miles

CIN and Dayton I get (respectively 180 miles and 150 miles each). But not those larger control cities! There are actually 2 signs like this a mile apart.

marleythedog

Quote from: jecht on June 21, 2019, 12:09:44 AM
Question: Does anyone know why there are the massive mileage marker signs for various cities just outside Toledo headed SB? It is between MM 188 and 195, right before the 475 split.

I.E.
Atlanta 800 miles
Miami 1300 miles

I've always assumed they're just there for novelty value, since there are a lot of travelers taking 75 all the way to Florida. Though they didn't keep for the Canadians the US/metric distance signs that used to be along there...

Edit: ODOT D2 engineer explains why: https://www.toledoblade.com/local/2017/06/05/New-signs-on-I-75-help-steer-drivers-to-faraway-places.html

jecht

Quote from: marleythedog on June 22, 2019, 01:31:04 PM
Quote from: jecht on June 21, 2019, 12:09:44 AM
Question: Does anyone know why there are the massive mileage marker signs for various cities just outside Toledo headed SB? It is between MM 188 and 195, right before the 475 split.

I.E.
Atlanta 800 miles
Miami 1300 miles

I've always assumed they're just there for novelty value, since there are a lot of travelers taking 75 all the way to Florida. Though they didn't keep for the Canadians the US/metric distance signs that used to be along there...

Edit: ODOT D2 engineer explains why: https://www.toledoblade.com/local/2017/06/05/New-signs-on-I-75-help-steer-drivers-to-faraway-places.html

Thank you so much!

What's neat is that I remember the following, and I'm only 35:
1) In 1992 I saw a CIN 181 miles sign on I-71 SB by Ashland.
2) There used to be a CLE 126 miles sign on I-71 NB by Polaris.
3) There used to be a CHI 320 miles sign just outside of North Ridgeville (MM 146 or so?) on I-80 WB before merger with I-90 (MM 142). And it even had the km equivalent!

marleythedog

Growing up along I-75, I remember the sign(s?) south of Toledo. There was

Bowling Green
10 MILES
16 KILOMETERS

and maybe another one for Lima or Dayton. Can't remember for sure.

75 SB near Middletown had a two-destination sign. Can't remember the cities for sure but it was something like:
Cincinnati      XX MI    YY KM
Lexington      XX MI    YY KM

There was another sign along there that said "1 MILE = 1.61 KILOMETERS" That's how I learned the conversion  :D

thenetwork

Quote from: marleythedog on June 22, 2019, 02:32:18 PM

Bowling Green
10 MILES
16 KILOMETERS

75 SB near Middletown had a two-destination sign. Can't remember the cities for sure but it was something like:

There was another sign along there that said "1 MILE = 1.61 KILOMETERS" That's how I learned the conversion  :D

There was once a lot of dual MI/km distance signs along I-75 and I-40 in Tennessee in the late-70's/early 80's -- likely due to both the failed push-to-metric crusade and the then-upcoming 1982 Worlds Fair in Knoxville.

frankenroad

Bowling Green
10 MILES
16 KILOMETERS

There was a big push in the 1970s to get people to convert to metric.   That's when a lot of these signs were installed.   Most, if not all, have disappeared.

It always cracked me up because, in a couple places, there were signs that said "METRIC SIGNS NEXT XX MILES".
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

westerninterloper

Quote from: frankenroad on June 24, 2019, 12:47:12 PM

Bowling Green
10 MILES
16 KILOMETERS

There was a big push in the 1970s to get people to convert to metric.   That's when a lot of these signs were installed.   Most, if not all, have disappeared.

It always cracked me up because, in a couple places, there were signs that said "METRIC SIGNS NEXT XX MILES".

That sign for Bowling Green was just removed a few years ago when the highway was widened to six lanes. As an earlier poster mentioned, the Toledo Blade article explains the reasoning behind the signs for Florida...it seems that stretch between Perrysburg and Findlay concentrates the southbound Michigan and Canadian travelers before they begin branching off to Columbus, Louisville, etc.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Buck87

Just saw on the Toledo news that the new double roundabouts on Lima Ave in Findlay are now open

Buck87

There's a future project to improve the CR 99 interchange on I-75, likely to bid in 2023. There are 4 alternatives being considered, 2 of which are DDI's, and the public commenting period will close on Sunday 9/13. 

https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odot/projects/projects/102375

VS988

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Buck87 on September 11, 2020, 11:49:58 PM
There's a future project to improve the CR 99 interchange on I-75, likely to bid in 2023. There are 4 alternatives being considered, 2 of which are DDI's, and the public commenting period will close on Sunday 9/13. 

https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odot/projects/projects/102375

VS988

Is that the north side of Findlay and Truck By-pass Oh 12?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Buck87

Yes, it's on the north side of Findlay and on the map looks like a good bypass over to OH 12.

It's also the dividing line between the project that widened I-75 from Perrysburg to the north side of Findlay and the current widening project through Findlay itself.

Buck87

According to this article from the Findlay Courier, the widening of I-75 through Findlay and the reconstruction of the I-75/OH 15/US 68 interchange is now done, except for a few minor though up type things that won't affect traffic:

https://thecourier.com/news/290399/114m-and-3-years-later-i-75-is-complete/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.