News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highest speed limit on 2 lane roads without a passing zone

Started by ethanman62187, October 10, 2011, 09:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanman62187

Can anyone think of a high speed limit on 2 lane roads without a passing zone?  To what I think is Loop 49 in Tyler does not have a passing zone posted at 70 mph later will be posted at 75 mph.
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

formulanone

US 90 in Texas also has a posted speed limit of 70 (65 at night), and only a few passing lanes. Those passing lanes are disappointly short, passing two vehicles in one shot takes some torque and large attachments/stupidity (depending on how well you plan it).

Kind of surprised that CR 721 (northern section) in Florida had a posted 60 mph; every county road in Florida I've ever seen topped out at a posted 55 mph. Then again, it's wide open, flat, straight...typical Florida fare.

ethanman62187

Quote from: formulanone on October 10, 2011, 10:41:14 AM
US 90 in Texas also has a posted speed limit of 70 (65 at night), and only a few passing lanes. Those passing lanes are disappointly short, passing two vehicles in one shot takes some torque and large attachments/stupidity (depending on how well you plan it).

Kind of surprised that CR 721 (northern section) in Florida had a posted 60 mph; every county
road in Florida I've ever seen topped out at a posted 55 mph. Then again, it's wide open, flat, straight...typical Florida fare.

In US 90, the 65 at night thing is removed. You're going to drive 70 at night as well. Later, it will be posted at 75 day and night.

formulanone

Quote from: ethanman62187 on October 10, 2011, 11:06:09 AM
In US 90, the 65 at night thing is removed. You're going to drive 70 at night as well. Later, it will be posted at 75 day and night.

Possibly...but as of less than 24 hours ago from this post, I verified it was signed that way in the field. I'll get the chance to do so again in a few days and post a picture soon enough.

I avoid talking about things and places for which I don't have all the facts, unless I'm asking a question, or the topic is about opinions. Take my personal advice...we're not all as thick-headed as we may seem, since we can actually drive to these places, go there (more or less) when and how we wish to do so. Soon, you'll get that opportunity too.

1995hoo

Kind of surprised that CR 721 (northern section) in Florida had a posted 60 mph; every county
road in Florida I've ever seen topped out at a posted 55 mph. Then again, it's wide open, flat, straight...typical Florida fare.

Isn't it up to the individual whether he chooses to drive 70 mph, regardless of the hour? I've been on roads with a 70-mph speed limit when I've chosen to go slower than that. Normally when I do that it's because there's a cop around and so I set the cruise control at about 68 mph just to protect against speedometer error. There's always going to be someone happy to go faster. Let that guy be the drone.

Put differently, a speed "limit" is just that–you're not required to go that fast if you choose not to do so, and in some situations a state's law might require you to go slower than the speed limit (typically if bad weather necessitates it, though nowadays "Move Over" laws can also be a reason to slow down if you cannot change lanes when you encounter a stopped emergency vehicle).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 10, 2011, 04:06:49 PM
Isn't it up to the individual whether he chooses to drive 70 mph, regardless of the hour? I've been on roads with a 70-mph speed limit when I've chosen to go slower than that.

indeed.  in rural Nevada on US-50 I tend to go about 55-60mph at night, even though the speed limit is signed 70.  Lots of animals on that road...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Practically every US highway in Nevada has long two-lane stretches with no designated passing lanes. Most of these are signed at 70 mph.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ethanman62187

In US 90, the 65 at night thing is removed. You're going to drive 70 at night as well. Later, it
will be posted at 75 day and night.

Isn't it up to the individual whether he chooses to drive 70 mph, regardless of the hour? I've been on roads with a 70-mph speed limit when I've chosen to go slower than that. Normally when I do that it's because there's a cop around and so I set the cruise control at about 68 mph just to protect against speedometer error. There's always going to be someone happy to
go faster. Let that guy be the drone.

Put differently, a speed "limit" is just that–you're not required to go that fast if you choose not to do so, and in some situations a state's law might require you to go slower than the speed limit (typically if bad weather necessitates it, though nowadays "Move Over" laws can
also be a reason to slow down if you cannot change lanes when you encounter a stopped
emergency vehicle).

Well, night speed limits in Texas are repealed.

1995hoo

Quote from: ethanman62187 on October 11, 2011, 04:41:39 PM

In US 90, the 65 at night thing is removed. You're going to drive 70 at night as well. Later, it
will be posted at 75 day and night.

Isn't it up to the individual whether he chooses to drive 70 mph, regardless of the hour? I've been on roads with a 70-mph speed limit when I've chosen to go slower than that. Normally when I do that it's because there's a cop around and so I set the cruise control at about 68 mph just to protect against speedometer error. There's always going to be someone happy to
go faster. Let that guy be the drone.

Put differently, a speed "limit" is just that–you're not required to go that fast if you choose not to do so, and in some situations a state's law might require you to go slower than the speed limit (typically if bad weather necessitates it, though nowadays "Move Over" laws can
also be a reason to slow down if you cannot change lanes when you encounter a stopped
emergency vehicle).

Well, night speed limits in Texas are repealed.

I'm aware of that, although I understand many of the signs are still up because the size of the state means it will take a while to remove them. But the repeal is irrelevant to anything I said in my comments. You said, quote, "You're going to drive 70 at night as well." I replied that nobody is ever required to drive the speed limit. As agentsteel53 notes, sometimes there are very good reasons to go slower than the speed limit. Your user info says you're from Manassas. Ever been over Yates Ford Road to Clifton, or on Henderson and Hampton Roads southeast of there? If I have to drive on those at night, I go well under the speed limit at times. Too many deer. Heck, I saw three deer crossing Hampton Road on the afternoon of October 3. If I saw three at once during the day, the odds of seeing more of them at night, especially during the rutting season, are quite high.

I stand by my prior comment: A speed "limit" is just that–in most states, it is the fastest you can legally drive on the road to which that limit applies. But you're entitled to go slower if you want (subject to any minimum-speed laws that may apply), and you may be required to go slower in certain circumstances. (Consider the signs on the Garden State Parkway that say "Speed Limit 55" or "Speed Limit 65" with "Conditions Permitting" underneath.)

Edited to add: BTW, I don't mean my comments to suggest that driving slower than the speed limit won't bug the crap out of other drivers depending on when and where you do it. I tend to think that if you're on a two-lane road and you see traffic stacking up behind you, you ought to pull off when it's safe to do so and let them go by, or drive on the shoulder if that's feasible to help people pass (as is common in parts of Canada and Mexico). My point was simply to take issue with your wording.

ethanman62187

ethanman62187

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 10, 2011, 05:24:58 PM
Isn't it up to the individual whether he chooses to drive 70 mph, regardless of the hour? I've been on roads with a 70-mph speed limit when I've chosen to go slower than that.

indeed.  in rural Nevada on US-50 I tend to go about 55-60mph at night, even though the speed limit is signed 70.  Lots of animals on that road...
[/quote Nevada does not have lower night speed limits.

Scott5114

If the only thing that would compel you to go slower at night is a night speed limit, then you are obviously not qualified to hold a driver's license.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

deathtopumpkins

Well, it will be at least a few more years until he does anyway.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

1995hoo

Quote from: ethanman62187 on October 15, 2011, 09:56:23 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 10, 2011, 05:24:58 PM

Nevada does not have lower night speed limits.

Why do you keep insisting that night speed limits matter? Do you think the speed limit is the only speed at which it is permissible to drive?

SteveG1988

in New Jersey the max a 2 lane road can be, if it is a state road is 55mph, county roads are 50 max period. i know NJ70 has some stretches without passing zones, same with US 206 where it is also 55
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Alps

Quote from: SteveG1988 on November 02, 2011, 11:55:44 PM
in New Jersey the max a 2 lane road can be, if it is a state road is 55mph, county roads are 50 max period. i know NJ70 has some stretches without passing zones, same with US 206 where it is also 55
I believe CR 539 is 55 for a part.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.