News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: Ace10 on August 15, 2011, 11:42:37 PM
I watched Hackers (1995?) and saw a US 42 shield in the bedroom of one of the characters. It looked like it used Series C. The film is set in New York City, which US 42 doesn't go anywhere near (unless it used to?).

I'm guessing the "42" has more to do with hitchhiking through the galaxy than the US route.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Quillz

"The Long Trailer" took place on a windy stretch of CA-2 that is virtually unchanged today.

PAHighways

The Wheeling Tunnel, I-70 in West Virginia and Pennsylvania (sequence is backwards:  the Monongahela River bridge came before the "Welcome to Pennsylvania" sign), and I-78 near Easton are in The Space Between.

brownpelican

The intro to the 80s show "Simon & Simon" features the Coronado Bridge in San Diego.

roadman65

Smokey and the Bandit II  shows the original I-4 and I-275 interchange as well as the original twin Sunshine Skyway Bridge.
Married With Children (the sitcom) shows the northern end of I-55 with US 41 just before the opening credits start.
Perfect Strangers (a sitcom from the 80s) shows the "Welcome to Chicago" sign leaving O Hare on I-190 in the opening credits.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

route29

Final Destination 2 - US 23 in the opening highway crash scene
The Stand featured an out-of-place US 49 shield in Kansas and a CO 91 shield in Boulder

formulanone

I caught about 20 minutes of Runaway Bride last week and there was a square state route shield assembly in one scene where Richard Gere is driving his convertible Camaro. Apparently, it was filmed in Maryland...so at least with this movie, they kept it within the same state (which seems to be rare).

Sorry, didn't stop the movie...I wanted it to be over as soon as possible!

OCGuy81

I know that AMC films "The Walking Dead" in Georgia (at least according tot ne credit roll at the end).  Anybody know what highway(s) they might have used?  There have been a few episodes now where they're parked alongside a highway packed with abandoned cars.  I wonder if it's some Georgia highway they closed to film it.

jwolfer

imdb.com  has information on tv shows/ movies  . With lots of trivia such as filiming location etc

OCGuy81

QuoteThe Stand featured an out-of-place US 49 shield in Kansas and a CO 91 shield in Boulder

They made a movie of The Stand?  One of my favorite King works.  I'll need to check netflix for that! Thanks.

Ian

Quote from: OCGuy81 on October 26, 2011, 03:54:02 PM
QuoteThe Stand featured an out-of-place US 49 shield in Kansas and a CO 91 shield in Boulder

They made a movie of The Stand?  One of my favorite King works.  I'll need to check netflix for that! Thanks.

Yep, and it's fairly lengthy (broken up into 4 parts). Still great though!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

vtk

Quote from: route29 on October 25, 2011, 11:47:11 PM
Final Destination 2 - US 23 in the opening highway crash scene

Misplaced, I believe.  The crash was supposed to take place somewhere in NY, and the film was shot in Canada.  The filmmakers must have put up that US 23 sign for the shoot.

Wasn't this already discussed?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Eth

Quote from: OCGuy81 on October 26, 2011, 10:21:05 AM
I know that AMC films "The Walking Dead" in Georgia (at least according tot ne credit roll at the end).  Anybody know what highway(s) they might have used?  There have been a few episodes now where they're parked alongside a highway packed with abandoned cars.  I wonder if it's some Georgia highway they closed to film it.

Yes, in at least one case.  One of the scenes was filmed on the GA 20 Hampton bypass.

Fleetwood Mac Attack

Not a movie but a Showtime series (so almost a movie, right?) and not a highway sighting but a highway reference - in this past Sunday's episode of Homeland (11/6), a suspected terrorist couple are on the run and are spotted by the CIA "just past the tolls westbound on I-70" (???). Claire Danes' character then replies, "That was ___ hours ago, meaning that they should be somewhere near Columbus, Ohio, by now." Pretty impressive to know that off the top of your head, Claire Danes. Although I'm wondering where these tolls on I-70 are. Anybody?

vtk

Quote from: Fleetwood Mac Attack on November 08, 2011, 03:22:39 PM
Not a movie but a Showtime series (so almost a movie, right?) and not a highway sighting but a highway reference - in this past Sunday's episode of Homeland (11/6), a suspected terrorist couple are on the run and are spotted by the CIA "just past the tolls westbound on I-70" (???). Claire Danes' character then replies, "That was ___ hours ago, meaning that they should be somewhere near Columbus, Ohio, by now." Pretty impressive to know that off the top of your head, Claire Danes. Although I'm wondering where these tolls on I-70 are. Anybody?

Probably referring to where WB I-70 splits from the PA Turnpike, though I can't remember the name of the town (not Breezewood).

PAHighways

New Stanton to Columbus is roughly a 3 hour drive down I-70, and Exit 75 would be the last toll plaza going westbound.

formulanone

This is a bit off-topic, but I caught a Subaru ad out of the corner of my eye last week with two shots showing a "generic circle" state road shield assembly for a 104 and a 4. Looked real enough, but seems kind of weird if an ad agency went through the trouble for just a car ad.

vtk

Quote from: formulanone on November 08, 2011, 04:51:51 PM
Looked real enough, but seems kind of weird if an ad agency went through the trouble for just a car ad.

Every winter, sister TV stations 6 and 28 advertize their News Center programs as "your school closings headquarters".  In the ad, a group of anchorpersons can be seen holding a 36", black-on-yellow, properly bordered, diamond warning sign reading something like "SCHOOL CLOSINGS HQ" in series C, plus a pedestrian icon of the kind often used on signs near schools.  The thing's probably even retroreflective!

kurumi

Skip to around 6:15 in this car chase scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ_39lxlDAg) from "To Live and Die in L.A."

Our protagonist is driving the wrong way down an LA freeway -- or is he?
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

elsmere241

This is a bit off-topic, but I caught a Subaru ad out of the corner of my eye last week with two shots showing a "generic circle" state road shield assembly for a 104 and a 4. Looked real enough, but seems kind of weird if an ad agency went through the trouble for just a car ad.

Was that the "hockey Mom" ad?  I thought that was a US 4 shield.  I think that's a real sign in Vermont somewhere.

OCGuy81

The post above about a Showtime series reminded me of another highway scene from a series they air, Californication.  There was a scene in season 4 where Hank was going to flee to avoid his sentence, and they show him getting onto the eastbound Santa Monica Freeway.

Alex

In the show Charmed they show videos of San Francisco shot from above as a segue. While the show was aired in the early 2000s for the most part, the footage they used goes quite a ways back as the double-deck Embarcadero freeway shows up on at least two of the sequences.

kurumi

Quote from: elsmere241 on November 09, 2011, 09:15:29 AM

Was that the "hockey Mom" ad?  I thought that was a US 4 shield.  I think that's a real sign in Vermont somewhere.

I think it's US 4 and VT 106 in Woodstock, VT.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

formulanone

Quote from: kurumi on November 09, 2011, 11:35:34 AM
Quote from: elsmere241 on November 09, 2011, 09:15:29 AM

I think it's US 4 and VT 106 in Woodstock, VT.

Yes, that's the ad...couldn't recall the exact shields, but that sounds right. Caught it out of the corner of my eye at a restaurant.

rawmustard

Quote from: formulanone on November 09, 2011, 01:31:44 PM
Yes, that's the ad...couldn't recall the exact shields, but that sounds right. Caught it out of the corner of my eye at a restaurant.

YouTube is your friend! :) (the sign assembly in question occurs at 0:23 and again at 0:40)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.