Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfilpus

Two problems with locating that ad in Woodstock VT:
. Vermont has a custom shield. Do any of the states that US 4 goes through use generic shields?
. There's no railroad crossing near VT 106 and US 4.

Ian

Quote from: dfilpus on November 09, 2011, 03:31:46 PM
. Vermont has a custom shield. Do any of the states that US 4 goes through use generic shields?

Vermont used to have that generic circle shield. In fact, the signs prior to the ones now installed in Woodstock looked very similar to the ones in the commercial.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

How far away would one have to go? That junction isn't all that close to Springfield, and the ad establishes that as one of its locations.

formulanone

Quote from: rawmustard on November 09, 2011, 03:01:59 PM
YouTube is your friend! :) (the sign assembly in question occurs at 0:23 and again at 0:40)

Work VPN bars YT, FB, and Flickr. Have to use internal memory (since that's what they pay me to use, along with laptop via said VPN).

Brandon

Two problems with locating that ad in Woodstock VT:

Plus, there's a palm tree in the background at 0:40.  I call California, not Vermont.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alex

Had TheCoolTV on and saw two Interstate 65 Indiana shields in John Mellencamp's music video for Pink Houses. Made a couple of screengrabs from YT:

This was a trailblazer for I-65. 1970 specs with smaller numbers...

geronimoabn

Another music video capture.  This is from "Pink Cadillac" by Aretha Franklin.

BamaZeus

looks like the background from when Wheel of Fortune does one of those shows where they give out trips across the country

PAHighways

The P. J. McArdle Roadway, Fort Pitt Bridge (lengthen by "Hollywood magic"), 6th Street/Roberto Clemente Bridge, and Mazeroski Way are in Abduction.

BamaZeus

I watched this episode of I Love Lucy this morning where the cast moves to California.  They travel over the then-single deck George Washington Bridge as they leave NYC, so it was neat seeing the bridge on film as a single-deck bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dl5_PJHISk

vtk

Caught a few minutes of the Rugrats Movie on TV this morning. Noticed Chuckie's Dad mention Interstate 99. Did some research, and it turns out the movie came out in November 2008, exactly two weeks after AASHTO formally approved the legislated designation of I-99 in Pennsylvania. 

I assume I-99 wasn't signed yet, and was absent from maps.  The writers probably hadn't heard of it, and thought they were inventing a fictional number.  I find all this mildly amusing.

PS the Rugrats movie looks dumb, but not as dumb as Garfield Gets Real...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

txstateends

In the first episode of season 4 of Dallas (the 1980-1981 season, between when J.R. was shot and when the killer was revealed), the TX DPS was out looking for Bobby and Pam, who were headed to California.  The storyline didn't say where they were found, but the scene was shot on US 75 and Parker Road in Plano.  It's an excellent shot of how US 75/Central Expwy. looked before it was redone a few years later.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

PAHighways

Quote from: vtk on May 02, 2012, 10:55:41 AM
Caught a few minutes of the Rugrats Movie on TV this morning. Noticed Chuckie's Dad mention Interstate 99. Did some research, and it turns out the movie came out in November 2008, exactly two weeks after AASHTO formally approved the legislated designation of I-99 in Pennsylvania. 

I assume I-99 wasn't signed yet, and was absent from maps.  The writers probably hadn't heard of it, and thought they were inventing a fictional number.  I find all this mildly amusing.

Are you referring to the extension of the designation from Bald Eagle to Musser Lane?

vtk

Quote from: PAHighways on May 02, 2012, 06:00:15 PM
Are you referring to the extension of the designation from Bald Eagle to Musser Lane?

I'm referring to the impression I got from Wikipedia this morning: of I-99 being legislatively designated in 1995, and AASHTO formally approving that designation in 1998. It doesn't say when the first I-99 signs went up. I can't remember when I first heard of this weird Interstate in Pennsylvania from my dad, but I'm pretty sure it was before I found internet roadgeek social circles.

kendancy66

Quote from: vtk on May 02, 2012, 09:25:09 PM
Quote from: PAHighways on May 02, 2012, 06:00:15 PM

I'm referring to the impression I got from Wikipedia this morning: of I-99 being legislatively designated in 1995, and AASHTO formally approving that designation in 1998. It doesn't say when the first I-99 signs went up. I can't remember when I first heard of this weird Interstate in Pennsylvania from my dad, but I'm pretty sure it was before I found internet roadgeek social circles.

I drove I-99 from PA turnpike North to US-219 in October 1996.  It wasn't very long, but I can't remember how many miles it was, and if it went all the way to US-219

PAHighways

Quote from: vtk on May 02, 2012, 09:25:09 PMI'm referring to the impression I got from Wikipedia this morning: of I-99 being legislatively designated in 1995, and AASHTO formally approving that designation in 1998. It doesn't say when the first I-99 signs went up.

It was signed in 1996.

I was confused from reading your original post because you said the Rugrats movie came out in November 2008.

vtk

Quote from: PAHighways on May 02, 2012, 10:22:58 PM
Quote from: vtk on May 02, 2012, 09:25:09 PMI'm referring to the impression I got from Wikipedia this morning: of I-99 being legislatively designated in 1995, and AASHTO formally approving that designation in 1998. It doesn't say when the first I-99 signs went up.

It was signed in 1996.

I was confused from reading your original post because you said the Rugrats movie came out in November 2008.

It did – again, according to WP. Not being as knowledgeable about I-99's history as you, I thought I'd noticed an interesting coincidence. (AASHTO's formal but apparently unnecessary approval, Nov 6; movie release, Nov 20) Still, I doubt the writers intended to refer to the highway in rural Pennsylvania when that line of dialogue came to exist. Probably, either they meant CA-99 and made an error, or they intended to reference a fictional highway and failed.

Takumi

I think he's referring more to 2008 than the month. The movie came out in 1998.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

vtk

I can't believe it took me this long to notice my mistake. A mistake I made again and again, apparently.

It seems my mind conflates the years 1998 and 2008 to an embarrassing degree.  Fascinating.

:eyebrow: Oh, hi Spock...

Mr_Northside

Quote from: kendancy66 on May 02, 2012, 09:36:08 PM
I drove I-99 from PA turnpike North to US-219 in October 1996.  It wasn't very long, but I can't remember how many miles it was, and if it went all the way to US-219

I-99 & US 219 never meet.  It's not really a matter of going "all the way" to it.  I-99 just runs east of it.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Quillz

I know this doesn't really count, but I saw Juno on TV the other day, and there was one scene in the main male character's room where he had an I-90 shield drawn onto the wall. (Although it didn't conform to any specs that I know of.)

kendancy66

Quote from: Mr_Northside on May 04, 2012, 01:31:50 PM
Quote from: kendancy66 on May 02, 2012, 09:36:08 PM
I drove I-99 from PA turnpike North to US-219 in October 1996.  It wasn't very long, but I can't remember how many miles it was, and if it went all the way to US-219

I-99 & US 219 never meet.  It's not really a matter of going "all the way" to it.  I-99 just runs east of it.

I only drove on I-99 for about 20-30 miles, so I must have connected to US-219 using a third route.  I then drove US-219 through the rest of PA and then in NY to Buffalo.  It was 17 years ago, so I don't remember all the details.

PAHighways

You must have taken US 22 west to Ebensburg and picked up US 219 there to continue north to Buffalo.

FreewayDan

Interstate 5 at the California 118 interchange and in Valencia, California were featured in the 1979 nuclear energy thriller The China Syndrome.

Interstate 210 at the 118 freeway (during the chase scene with Jack Lemmon's character) was also featured.
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

BamaZeus

Another MST3K favorite: "Mitchell", featuring car chases at up to 25 mph and HOT MERGING ACTION!!  :)

It's on one of the LA-area freeways, but I couldn't tell you which one, unless someone local recognizes it

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.