Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: bzakharin on September 17, 2018, 10:36:53 AM
In the music video for "You're gonna go far, kid" we are treated to some post-apocalyptic road backgrounds. Only the I-4 sign is readily readable. Any idea if the other ones are real and if so, where they are?

The sign on the left looks like a Tennessee Secondary Route symbol (Triangle).  Not sure what to make of the one on the right, though.

Now that I took another look at the first photo, it looks like a West Virginia-style gantry with a WV-2 on the left sign.  However WV-2 is a North-South route.  <shrugs>

Eth

Quote from: thenetwork on September 17, 2018, 08:10:42 PM
The sign on the left looks like a Tennessee Secondary Route symbol (Triangle).  Not sure what to make of the one on the right, though.

Now that I took another look at the first photo, it looks like a West Virginia-style gantry with a WV-2 on the left sign.  However WV-2 is a North-South route.  <shrugs>

I was initially thinking Virginia for the photo you quoted, but could definitely see it as a TN secondary too. The one on the right could be a US route, I think.

For the first photo, I notice the 2 isn't centered in the square but instead aligned closer to the bottom, and there might be some small text up above it. Looks short, whatever it is...perhaps "R.I."? Then again, RI 2 is also a north-south route, so maybe not.

cwf1701

In a Episode of the "Big Bang Theory", Sheldon and his gang try to change a flat tire by using a Mexican stop (ALTO) sign as a lever.

Max Rockatansky

BC 99 and the Lions Gate Bridge both appeared in Deadpool 2. 

Roadwarriors79

The Fast and The Furious (original and sequels) have had highways and certain cities in good chunks of the movies.

There was a "short film" between the original and the second movie showing Paul Walker's character making his way from Los Angeles towards the East Coast. There is a part where on the road he's traveling on, the BGS says "I-95 North, New York" and "I-95 South, Miami". I was thinking then, if anything close to this would ever be posted in the field in real life.

In the 7th film of this series, there is a long car chase scene in Los Angeles. However, all the traffic signals were screaming to me "We are NOT really in LA!" I'm figuring this is where Atlanta stood in for LA here.

abefroman329

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on October 21, 2018, 12:42:08 PMIn the 7th film of this series, there is a long car chase scene in Los Angeles. However, all the traffic signals were screaming to me "We are NOT really in LA!" I'm figuring this is where Atlanta stood in for LA here.
It was smart of them to go ahead and set Baby Driver in Atlanta if it was going to be filmed there, since Atlanta usually does a crappy job of standing in for other cities (though I don't remember anything glaring in The Nice Guys).

formulanone

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on October 21, 2018, 12:42:08 PM
The Fast and The Furious (original and sequels) have had highways and certain cities in good chunks of the movies.

There was a "short film" between the original and the second movie showing Paul Walker's character making his way from Los Angeles towards the East Coast. There is a part where on the road he's traveling on, the BGS says "I-95 North, New York" and "I-95 South, Miami". I was thinking then, if anything close to this would ever be posted in the field in real life.

To be honest, it would make sense to do so for roughly 20% of South Florida's population.  ;-)

I recall 2 Fast 2 Furious used I-75, as they'd closed off a portion of it around Pembroke Pines for a few days.

Max Rockatansky

In Halloween 2 Haggonfield, IL is mentioned to be on IL 17.  In Halloween 3 the Silver Shamrock Factory is located off of CA 33 in Santa Mira.  Both towns are fictional but both highways are very real.

inkyatari

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 29, 2018, 04:30:21 PM
In Halloween 2 Haggonfield, IL is mentioned to be on IL 17.  In Halloween 3 the Silver Shamrock Factory is located off of CA 33 in Santa Mira.  Both towns are fictional but both highways are very real.

In the Curse of Michael Meyers, IIRC, Haddonfield is somewhere between Dwight and Pontiac, IL, quite a ways away from IL-17

Ahh.. Here it is:

EDIT: Holy crap. They got the location of Funks Grove wrong.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: inkyatari on October 29, 2018, 05:04:29 PM

In the Curse of Michael Meyers, IIRC, Haddonfield is somewhere between Dwight and Pontiac, IL, quite a ways away from IL-17

Ahh.. Here it is:

I was always amused by the scene in the first movie with Loomis on the payphone where it's really obvious he's in Northern California.  You really have to look for the palm Trees in the Haddonfield scenes. 

inkyatari

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 29, 2018, 05:07:40 PM

Ahh.. Here it is:

I was always amused by the scene in the first movie with Loomis on the payphone where it's really obvious he's in Northern California.  You really have to look for the palm Trees in the Haddonfield scenes.
I have heard people criticize the mountains in the background. I had thought that maybe Haddonfiled was closer to the Shawnees, as the profile of the SHawnee Hills over the plains almost looks like that.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: inkyatari on October 29, 2018, 05:11:27 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 29, 2018, 05:07:40 PM

Ahh.. Here it is:

I have heard people criticize the mountains in the background. I had thought that maybe Haddonfiled was closer to the Shawnees, as the profile of the SHawnee Hills over the plains almost looks like that.

Given the budget they had to make that movie I say they did a pretty damn fine job considering it probably is the best stand alone Slasher Movie ever made.  The sequels had way more money but came nowhere close to the original (although I do like 2 and 3).  I'll be seeing the new movie on Friday, I'm interested to see how it turns out. 

zzyzx

My favorite childhood movie from the 1980s is Flight of The Navigator.  In one of the scenes, David and Max (the robot) are trying to fly back to David's home in Ft. Lauderdale.  David, looking over a paper map, wants to take I-95, while Max wants to take the turnpike.  Looks like they ended up taking the Ronald Reagan Turnpike based on what I think is the location from the movie (the apartment complex under construction in the far right is the best reference point if you look at the satellite view.  I spent so much time looking for a distance sign...can anyone guess why they removed it???

Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/QMPsV7rmHyM2

formulanone

Quote from: zzyzx on December 07, 2018, 06:01:01 PM
My favorite childhood movie from the 1980s is Flight of The Navigator.  In one of the scenes, David and Max (the robot) are trying to fly back to David's home in Ft. Lauderdale.  David, looking over a paper map, wants to take I-95, while Max wants to take the turnpike.  Looks like they ended up taking the Ronald Reagan Turnpike based on what I think is the location from the movie (the apartment complex under construction in the far right is the best reference point if you look at the satellite view.  I spent so much time looking for a distance sign...can anyone guess why they removed it???

Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/QMPsV7rmHyM2

You're likely correct - there is no other place which would have a sign showing both cities, where Miami would be closer than Fort Lauderdale. US 1 nor Tamiami Trail wouldn't have 4 lanes that far south, and I-95 terminates too soon (I-75 was under construction at the time of filming). The only other would be the southern end Palmetto Expressway, but it doesn't look like that and it's not 25 miles from Miami...I don't think there were ever mileage signs like that on SR 826.

Currently, Florida's Turnpike doesn't have many existing mileage signs denoting upcoming cities; other than "NEXT EXIT xx MILES" if it's 9+ miles apart. I can't think of any, and I've driven it end-to-end many times. I-95 is loaded with them.

Side note: I don't think anyone calls it the "Ronald Regan Turnpike" any more than they'd call it "State Road 91" (just the roadgeeks). Somehow it received the name in 1998, although numerous stretches of road and intersections have been dedicated throughout the state...especially Miami-Dade County.

Max Rockatansky

Parts of NM 11 appear in Creed 2 during the desert training scenes. 

kurumi

At Kura Sushi, when you turn in the first 5 plates, there's a short video of Mutenmaru fighting an evil ninja on the 405:

(video: https://www.facebook.com/kurasushiusa/videos/all-store-anime-promo-32318/1820872114624175/)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rRTv1x36LI

Michelle Branch does "This Way" but I like to know which two lane roads was this shot at though.

sparker

Quote from: bing101 on December 15, 2018, 10:09:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rRTv1x36LI

Michelle Branch does "This Way" but I like to know which two lane roads was this shot at though.

Really looks like CA 247 in the east part of Lucerne Valley, CA (just east of the CA 18 "semi-bump").  That last car passing with the CA license plates increases the probability it was filmed right here in CA.   First time I've heard that song -- not too bad! 

Scott5114

Apparently, "Dick Tracy" hasn't got the memo that a certain IA was revoked. Whichever DOT this was skirted the positive/negative contrast issue by specifying "no contrast at all".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SectorZ

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 20, 2018, 12:29:05 AM
Apparently, "Dick Tracy" hasn't got the memo that a certain IA was revoked. Whichever DOT this was skirted the positive/negative contrast issue by specifying "no contrast at all".

I wonder if they have to pay the Clearview license fee for the comic strip.

bing101

djsekani

The '98 Disney movie Mighty Joe Young has several scenes set in Los Angeles, but road geeks like yourselves should be able to identify the sign at the 15-second mark of this low-resolution TV ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LneAEghA41c

Sam

The Partridge Family's garage. If the I-76 sign is a repro, they went to a lot of effort.

thenetwork

In the early seasons the I-76 shield was a fake black on white!

PAHighways

It would have been more appropriate if it had been an I-70 shield since Shirley Jones is from Smithton (Exit 49).

SM-G965U

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.