News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 20, 2010, 01:22:17 PM
Quote from: Quillz on November 20, 2010, 01:20:42 PM
There's a schoolyard about two minutes from my house that has that style of STOP sign. I actually like how it looks.

does it have the Auto Club logo?
Last I checked, no, it looks just like the one in the picture above but without the logo.

However, I should note the sign is quite heavily vandalized, covered in stickers. If the old Auto Club logo was a sticker, rather than painted on, someone might have taken it off.

agentsteel53

no, the auto club logo was a part of the sign itself, made with the same porcelain as the rest.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Well, the STOP sign near my house didn't have that logo last I checked, but maybe I just missed it. If it isn't there, though, when do you think the sign would have been made?

agentsteel53

'45 to '56 as well, just not supplied by the Auto Club
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Ah, that must be it, then.

The schoolyard itself has been abandoned for as long as I can remember, so it must have been built around that time period.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on November 09, 2010, 06:31:39 PM
I spotted on this Toyota spoof ad, an exterpt of a movie (it begins at 0:38) showing a bridge, which bridge is it?

It's the Commodore Schuyler F. Heim Bridge (carrying CA-47 and CA-103). 

It's been used in countless movies including 2 of the Lethal Weapon films and Inception. 
Take the road less traveled.

Quillz

Yeah, that's a very popular bridge for movies, I think because it's pretty distinctive.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: KEK Inc. on November 21, 2010, 03:10:30 AM

It's been used in countless movies including 2 of the Lethal Weapon films and Inception. 

Thanks for the infos :)

Also, in the original version of "The Longest Yard" when Burt Reynolds was chased by cops in his Citroen SM (even if her girlfriend in the movie call it "Maserati" back when Citroen owned Maserati), the cops was stuck in a moving bridge. That bridge who don't exist anymore was near Brunswick GA. Here a clip of the car chase

D-Dey65

Hey, does anybody know where all the stock footage of parkways from the closing theme to "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" was shot?

SteveG1988

Close encounters of the third kind faked the ohio turnpike using the Vincent Thomas Bridge toll plaza in LA. Memorable line "thats ohio, thats a quarter"
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Stephane Dumas

Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) also taked some car chases in San Francisco

Quillz

I was watching an old 80s horror movie that took place in Maine and saw these:

They must be 1957 specs because the 395 is not being used on a wide shield.

myosh_tino

Quote from: KEK Inc. on November 21, 2010, 03:10:30 AM

I think this bridge's days are numbered.  I was browsing the list of construction projects on Caltrans' website and I ran across a new project going out to bid on February 10th, 2011 that is going to replace that steel bridge with a concrete one.  The project number is 07-138204 and is listed on the Caltrans list of advertised projects (http://www.caltrans.ca.gov/hq/esc/oe/weekly_ads/all_advertised.php?sort=c).
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Ian

Quote from: Quillz on December 24, 2010, 08:49:55 PM

Was this a Stephen King movie? His movies usually take place in the northeast, mostly Maine.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Quillz

I think so, it was based on a Stephen King short story, I think.

kurumi

Quote from: Quillz on December 24, 2010, 08:49:55 PM

I think this is Creepshow 2 - anthology of Stephen King short stories.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Quillz

Yeah, looking at the movie description, that's probably what it was.

Ian

I'm not sure if I posted this, but in Stephen King's movie The Mist, there is a BGS gantry that looks identical to one of Maine I-295 southbounds exit 11 gantry:

It may have been that one. If it wasn't that exact one, than it definetely was one of the gantries.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Scott5114

"Points South"–how's that for a vague control city? But I guess in Maine, you can get away with it...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Stephane Dumas

The Japanese animated movie Gunsmith Cats have a good car chase in Chicago streets and freeways, try to guess which roads they used ;)

Stephane Dumas

Ronin got a good car chase in the streets of Paris

EDIT: I posted by mistake an exterpt from a car chase from McQ   :banghead: sorry for the inconvience,  :paranoid: here the correct video 

Roadsign199qc

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 29, 2010, 04:52:37 PM
The Japanese animated movie Gunsmith Cats have a good car chase in Chicago streets and freeways, try to guess which roads they used ;)

Hum, US-66?
Hi!

MDOTFanFB

Though this is not a movie, but the Red Wings and Pistons game starting intros on FS Detroit feature road signs. In the former, there is a shot of a (Clearview!) exit sign on M-10 mounted on the Washington Boulevard overpass in downtown Detroit that reads "West Jefferson Avenue" and another one, this has an M-10 shield, underlined "SOUTH" and all-caps "Downtown". In the latter intro it begins with a Clearview sign "Auburn Hills, next 6 exits".

On that same channel, there is a program called "Red Wings Wingspan" which has an episode on the Original Six. On that episode is a film shot on Grand River Avenue (then U.S. 16) passing by the Olympia Stadium sometime in the 1950's. There is a traffic light in there which I got a screenshot of:

Stephane Dumas

The classic "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" got lots of road scenes
http://members.cox.net/mkpl4/mmmmw/thumb.htm

Edit: Here the correct video, I'm so absent-minded   :eyebrow: :pan:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.