News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

http://wtnh.com/2014/12/30/malloy-doesnt-rule-out-connecticut-highway-tolls/

WTNH-TV (ABC) channel 8 of New Haven had a short story about the idea. Nothing in the piece that we didn't already know.

connroadgeek

I say go for it. If NY can have crazy tolls to cross every little bridge, then let's do it here. $15 toll to enter the state.

iwishiwascanadian

The Courant ran an article about it as well, I don't see how CT is gonna pay for major projects (rebuilding I-84 through Hartford, widening I-84 in Waterbury, etc.) if there is no dedicated funding stream available. 

connroadgeek

Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on December 31, 2014, 06:41:17 PM
The Courant ran an article about it as well, I don't see how CT is gonna pay for major projects (rebuilding I-84 through Hartford, widening I-84 in Waterbury, etc.) if there is no dedicated funding stream available. 
We'll just wait for another bridge to collapse into a river before we do anything about it. I mean it's been 30+ years since the last one. Makes me wonder where that gas tax goes. I thought that was supposed to be dedicated to fixing roads.

cl94

Quote from: connroadgeek on December 30, 2014, 04:26:12 PM
I say go for it. If NY can have crazy tolls to cross every little bridge, then let's do it here. $15 toll to enter the state.

No, Connecticut should be like Jersey and make them pay to leave
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Mergingtraffic

The 4th lane on I-95 NB in Norwalk in open.  I'm not sure how much it'll help, I guess the real test will be rush hour tomorrow (1/5).  According to a press release it opened up before Xmas. 

http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?A=2135&Q=558376
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

iwishiwascanadian

Either way, I feel like it could work if there was a heavily discounted rate for CT EZ-Pass users. Also, it would be interesting to think about converting the HOV lanes on 91 and 84 in Greater Hartford to HOT lanes.

Duke87

Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on January 05, 2015, 08:28:47 PM
Also, it would be interesting to think about converting the HOV lanes on 91 and 84 in Greater Hartford to HOT lanes.

That might actually be more palatable than just outright adding tolls to currently free highways.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: doofy103 on January 04, 2015, 10:42:58 PM
The 4th lane on I-95 NB in Norwalk in open.  I'm not sure how much it'll help, I guess the real test will be rush hour tomorrow (1/5).  According to a press release it opened up before Xmas. 

http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?A=2135&Q=558376

I checked the traffic cams and Google maps traffic at 4:30 this afternoon and saw no traffic back up prior to Norwalk.  Is this because the new lane or because traffic is lighter?  You'd think normal traffic patterns are back since the holidays are over and most people do not have extra vacation time.

Duke87

If nothing else wait until spring. Traffic always moves better in winter since people tend to just stay home more when it's cold out.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Duke87 on January 08, 2015, 11:13:18 PM
If nothing else wait until spring. Traffic always moves better in winter since people tend to just stay home more when it's cold out.

Little if any road work, too.

Traffic moves best here in summer, when folks leave town.

Mergingtraffic

Do you believe this?  Politicians usually shy away from widening I-95 especially in Southwestern CT.  At least roads are a big chuck of the state of the state address. It could be politics as usual but usually when they sniff at widening a highway all the critics come out in force.  So he's taking a risk even mentioning it.

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Malloy-widen-I-95-to-relieve-traffic-spur-6002810.php

http://www.courant.com/politics/capitol-watch/hc-ct-gov-malloy-on-rail-v-highway-expansion-all-of-the-above-20150109-story.html

Also, there's talk about a lock box for transportation funds.  Wasn't that already passed? I remember reading that would start in 2015 or 2016?!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: doofy103 on January 09, 2015, 04:27:44 PM
Do you believe this?  Politicians usually shy away from widening I-95 especially in Southwestern CT.  At least roads are a big chuck of the state of the state address. It could be politics as usual but usually when they sniff at widening a highway all the critics come out in force.  So he's taking a risk even mentioning it.

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Malloy-widen-I-95-to-relieve-traffic-spur-6002810.php

http://www.courant.com/politics/capitol-watch/hc-ct-gov-malloy-on-rail-v-highway-expansion-all-of-the-above-20150109-story.html

More on the same subject: Malloy seeks massive transportation overhaul, including I-95
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

southshore720

If I-95 becomes the main focus, you can kiss any hopes of finishing CT-11 or I-384 expansion goodbye!  (Not that any of us had all of our chips in the pot on either of those!)

Beeper1

This is Connecticut.  Even if I-95 becomes the main focus, don't expect any meaningful expansion of I-95 to actually take place.   

CT-11 never made any progress even when it was supposedly "fast-tracked" with federal funding.   

Pete from Boston

It's nothing new and easy points for politicians to get behind something that everyone wants that isn't possible to deliver on. 

Pete from Boston

Noticed on the Turnpike in Fairfield and NH counties:

* Blank full-size "Attractions" signs up northbound in Bridgeport (for Stratford exit) and Milford.  There is apparently nothing attractive about these places.

* Moses Wheeler Bridge has entered a new phase of construction.  New NB and SB spans have rolling gantry cranes set up between, presumably to fill in the middle.

* Time/Distance signs are up and running, but do enough people know the name "Milford Parkway" to make it a useful destination?  It's not on any other sign.

JakeFromNewEngland

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 12, 2015, 08:39:03 PM
Noticed on the Turnpike in Fairfield and NH counties:

* Blank full-size "Attractions" signs up northbound in Bridgeport (for Stratford exit) and Milford.  There is apparently nothing attractive about these places.

* Moses Wheeler Bridge has entered a new phase of construction.  New NB and SB spans have rolling gantry cranes set up between, presumably to fill in the middle.

* Time/Distance signs are up and running, but do enough people know the name "Milford Parkway" to make it a useful destination?  It's not on any other sign.

Makes sense about the attractions signs. I live in Milford, and there really is nothing here besides maybe the mall and downtown.

Pete from Boston

It's probably going to supplant the existing Pez visitor center sign.

Henry

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on December 30, 2014, 07:40:11 AM
Not news per sé, but making the rounds this news cycle:

Quoteov. Dannel P. Malloy said Monday he might be open to reinstating tolls on Connecticut highways after a discussion he intends to lead next year with the General Assembly and the public about whether "we want to continue talking about transportation … or whether we actually want to do something about it."

The Democratic governor, who won re-election to a second four-year term Nov. 4, told reporters at the Capitol that his office would have detailed transportation-improvement plans ready for presentation with his budget proposals to the legislature in early February – roughly a month after the legislature convenes Jan. 7, the first day of his new term.

It's not in the linked article, but the associated TV coverage adds that money raised through tolls would be "lockboxed" and used strictly for transportation.
Good for them! That state has one of the most incomplete highway systems in America, with missing links abound, none more glaring than the CT 11 to I-95 one. And don't get me started on the I-84 to Providence thing!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Henry on January 13, 2015, 12:57:49 PM
And don't get me started on the I-84 to Providence thing!

I have long wondered if the anti-I-84 to Providence crowd was able to successfully (and perhaps secretly) lobby relevant federal regulators (especially USEPA Region 1 and the New England District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers) into opposing anything and everything associated with the proposed route.

I have absolutely no proof of anything of the sort, but I wonder, given the circumstances associated with the cancellation of the project, as discussed by Kurimi here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

connroadgeek

Quote from: Henry on January 13, 2015, 12:57:49 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on December 30, 2014, 07:40:11 AM
Not news per sé, but making the rounds this news cycle:

Quoteov. Dannel P. Malloy said Monday he might be open to reinstating tolls on Connecticut highways after a discussion he intends to lead next year with the General Assembly and the public about whether "we want to continue talking about transportation … or whether we actually want to do something about it."

The Democratic governor, who won re-election to a second four-year term Nov. 4, told reporters at the Capitol that his office would have detailed transportation-improvement plans ready for presentation with his budget proposals to the legislature in early February – roughly a month after the legislature convenes Jan. 7, the first day of his new term.

It's not in the linked article, but the associated TV coverage adds that money raised through tolls would be "lockboxed" and used strictly for transportation.
Good for them! That state has one of the most incomplete highway systems in America, with missing links abound, none more glaring than the CT 11 to I-95 one. And don't get me started on the I-84 to Providence thing!
There will be no new highways, or hell even new exits, in Connecticut. We've been dancing this dance for a long, long time. You couldn't even eminent domain land for expansion because the cost is prohibitive. Whatever I-95's right of way is today, is what it will be 50 years from now. If they want to expand capacity, they should give serious consideration to using the shoulders during peak usage at bottleneck spots. This isn't the south or west where expanding a highway means taking a few extra acres of some farmer's land that won't be missed.

Duke87

Realistically speaking I don't think most of "I-84 to providence" is really necessary. East of Willimantic there is nothing wrong with US 6 as is.

The problem is that damned section of US 6 between Willimantic and Bolton. It's a mess and completing the freeway there would be totally justified. But because bureaucracy it will never happen and ConnDOT has outright given up on it ever happening (as indicated by their plans to downgrade the eastern end of I-384).

I imagine we may eventually simply see the existing surface alignment of US 6 widened to four lanes. This would be a workable solution that would have a much lower environmental impact due to not requiring a new ROW.

kurumi

Not really "news", but y'all remember the roundabout they recently installed at CT 82 and CT 85 in Salem? It turns out there was a rotary there many years ago.
* 1931: traffic study calls for traffic circle; the 4-way intersection there is one of state's most dangerous
* 1934: a rotary is constructed
* 1952: the rotary is removed -- replaced by 4-way intersection
* 2012: roundabout is installed
* 2112: guitars are outlawed

1952 article in the Day of New London: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1915&dat=19521018&id=UaE0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=9XEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2346,3167623
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

shadyjay

Wow... only 3 years back in the 30s separated the study and completion of construction.
Today it seems like things are studied for 10-20 years.  And in the end, nothing still gets done.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.