News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

Drove I-395 up to Norwich today, got some shots of the new signs/exit numbers:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108118189767835080687/I395SignReplacementInCT02

A few:

TravelingBethelite

They did a pretty good job; they just won't make [any less] sense until I-95 has been fully sequentially renumbered. Did you see any redone gantries?  And do those reassurance markers have no state name?  :-(
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

shadyjay

No state names on those reassurance shields. 

Didn't notice any changes to gantries... except the ghost supports on bridges, and the one empty/to be removed gantry 1/2 mile before Exit 80.. err.. Exit 11.  I got off at CT 2 so I didn't get a chance to venture beyond there. 

Also didn't notice any mile markers.  I did notice the new mile markers are installed NB on I-91 right up to the state line, but no new markers SB, at least from the state line down to Exit 22S.

Pete from Boston

Another bit of the identity of the Connecticut Turnpike disappears...

KEVIN_224

There are other new mile markers heading towards Massachusetts? I saw all new ones northbound from the I-95 junction in New Haven to roughly MM 20, near the I-691/CT 66 Exits in Meriden. That was 2 weeks ago.

shadyjay

New mile markers observed NB all the way up to Enfield.   Old faded ones are still in the median.    No new markers seen SB yet, at least from the state line down to Exit 22. 

TravelingBethelite

Are they updating/renumbering the signs on I-91 (north of Hartford) as well?  The updates, they roll on... :spin:

PHLBOS

It's interestesting that those new BGS' use Series D for single-digit and 3-digit routes containing a 1 but use Series C for 2-digit routes.  IMHO, Series D numerals can be (and have been used) for 2-digit routes without requiring the wider 3-digit shield.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

shadyjay

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 03, 2015, 08:03:29 AM
Are they updating/renumbering the signs on I-91 (north of Hartford) as well?  The updates, they roll on... :spin:

Nope... Just the mile markers and spot replacements around Exits 40-42.   The signs from Exit 44, on up to the state line date back to the late 1980s.  Don't see any future contracts within the next year to start replacing them, or any other section of I-91.  Outside of spot replacements here n' there. 

AMLNet49

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 03, 2015, 08:48:26 AM
It's interestesting that those new BGS' use Series D for single-digit and 3-digit routes containing a 1 but use Series C for 2-digit routes.  IMHO, Series D numerals can be (and have been used) for 2-digit routes without requiring the wider 3-digit shield.

I believe the wider shield is now the standard for Connecticut for 3 digit routes, not only on BGS's but also for standalone shields.

DrSmith

There are new mile markers going up on the southbound side.  It's been a process over days of going up the northbound side all the way to the Mass border now moving south from the Mass border. 

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: DrSmith on August 03, 2015, 10:59:12 PM
There are new mile markers going up on the southbound side.  It's been a process over days of going up the northbound side all the way to the Mass border now moving south from the Mass border.

Didn't Massachusetts just finish doing something like this from the CT border to the Mass Pike?

wytout

I-91 reference markers

NB complete
http://1drv.ms/1OMUf05
SB started... MA mm 0/ CT mm 58
http://1drv.ms/1OMU2Ks

-Chris

amroad17

Are the I-395 exit numbers milepost-based?  It looks that way to me.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

JakeFromNewEngland

Quote from: amroad17 on August 04, 2015, 09:23:55 PM
Are the I-395 exit numbers milepost-based?  It looks that way to me.

Yes they recently converted them to mileage based signs.

The Ghostbuster

Will Interstate 395 and State Highway 2A be the only Connecticut Highways that will ever have their exits changed to milage based? Would anyone hazard a guess?

JakeFromNewEngland

I'm pretty sure the state is proposing to change I-95 to mileage based but I'm not exactly sure.

shadyjay

The whole state is going to mile-based exits.  The only problem is it's going to take some ridiculous amount of time to complete... one article said 10-15+ years.  Now how a small state like CT would take that long to convert is beyond me, when FL, CA, and other states only took a couple years.  Unless they're waiting for sign replacement projects to be complete.  If that's the case, then yes, I can see it taking that long.

Since there are projects being put out to bid within the next year to replace CT 8 signage, I'd guess that would be next to going mile-based.  As far as I-95, future projects will replace signs from Branford, east.  I would think that exits west of New Haven wouldn't be renumbered, since they're pretty close to the existing mileage as is. 

No projects in sight to replace signs on CT 2, CT 9, or I-91 (the 3 main routes with the largest concentration of old signage).  These 3 routes may be the last to see mile-based exits.  Some signage on these 3 dates back to the late 1980s.

KEVIN_224

Why go through all of the trouble putting up the new mile marker signs if they're just going to replace them in a few years? By the way, it looked like all the mile markers from the state line south to about the Hartford/Windsor city line have been replaced, with the new 1/5 mile markers added in between. I'm fairly certain that the older center median mile markers for MM 40 in Hartford and MM 58 in Enfield at the state line were still in place. It also looked like they've done some paving along I-91 south.

shadyjay

My guess is that I-91 will be one of the last roads in the state to get new signage, so that's why there's a separate contract to replace the mile markers now... or reference markers as IIRC they're technically known as.  It very well may be a requirement now to have visible readable mile markers and perhaps there's a deadline, so maybe that's why this is happening now.  It is quite possible these markers now being installed will remain up through a future sign replacement project. 

Recent sign replacement projects on I-84 in the Danbury area and I-95 in SW New Haven County have the new mile markers, and I'm assuming I-395 will as well.  I-95 in Fairfield County did receive new markers when signs were replaced though they are more of the older variety - "MILE 31" vs "NORTH [95 shield] MILE 31". 

Pete from Boston

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 05, 2015, 06:42:01 PM
Why go through all of the trouble putting up the new mile marker signs if they're just going to replace them in a few years? By the way, it looked like all the mile markers from the state line south to about the Hartford/Windsor city line have been replaced, with the new 1/5 mile markers added in between. I'm fairly certain that the older center median mile markers for MM 40 in Hartford and MM 58 in Enfield at the state line were still in place. It also looked like they've done some paving along I-91 south.

My guess is that a contract that has been written and let over a lengthy process is "impossible" to just stop and change out for something else, because government.

vdeane

Quote from: shadyjay on August 05, 2015, 06:24:03 PM
I would think that exits west of New Haven wouldn't be renumbered, since they're pretty close to the existing mileage as is. 
Some of those exits are as much as four miles off.  Should the people there have to put up with having no way to predict how far they are from their exit just because the numbers "catch up" later?  I don't get why some people are so intimidated by letters.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

shadyjay

Its not the letters that's intimidating I think.... it's a subtle change of an exit number by 1 or 2 which could lead to confusion.  I can see the signs now.... "EXIT 1... FORMER EXIT 2".... "EXIT 2... FORMER EXIT 3".... and so on.  Since the signs were just replaced within the past few years, it doesn't make sense to change them. 

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on August 05, 2015, 09:40:41 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on August 05, 2015, 06:24:03 PM
I would think that exits west of New Haven wouldn't be renumbered, since they're pretty close to the existing mileage as is. 
Some of those exits are as much as four miles off.  Should the people there have to put up with having no way to predict how far they are from their exit just because the numbers "catch up" later?  I don't get why some people are so intimidated by letters.

Most places get along just fine with letters. Ever live somewhere with mileage-based exits? Once you use them, it's hard to go back to sequential.

Quote from: shadyjay on August 05, 2015, 09:54:55 PM
Its not the letters that's intimidating I think.... it's a subtle change of an exit number by 1 or 2 which could lead to confusion.  I can see the signs now.... "EXIT 1... FORMER EXIT 2".... "EXIT 2... FORMER EXIT 3".... and so on.  Since the signs were just replaced within the past few years, it doesn't make sense to change them. 

PA has signs like that on some of its 3DIs. Not much confusion. And in most places, just the exit tabs were replaced (or patched, in many cases). There are still quite a few signs out there with the "new" exit number patched on and the transition was 15 years ago.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.