News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

"Let's Go CT", Gov. Malloy's statewide transportation initiative, has a project dashboard: http://www.letsgoct.com/RampUpDashboard.html. At first glance, it's a pretty clean summary of the state's plans.

Major projects (95 widening, 84/8 interchange, etc.) are broken out into when funding might arrive and when work could start and finish (most in the 2020s and 2030s). I have no idea how realistic the numbers are, but there are numbers.

Use "Previous Level" for "go back" navigation; it appears to be a single-page app.

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

shadyjay

Some real pie-in-the-sky projects in there... I mean, come on... widening Stamford to Bridgeport?  While yes, it may be needed, I can't see it happening.  I'd like to see I-95 between Branford and Old Saybrook get another lane first. 

Nice to see CT 9 in Middletown make the list.  About time for that!  Well, the time for that was 15+ years ago, but I digress...

The West Rock Tunnel project is intriguing.  Wonder how that'll be pulled off.  I've never encountered a problem driving through there.

And still wondering about the I-91/I-691/CT 66/CT 15 interchange plans.  That'll be something interesting to see what they come up with.

No mention of I-84 from Danbury to Waterbury.  I'd give that another lane each way.  Relatively easy to do as its pretty rural out there, between the two ends. 

The Ghostbuster

Are there any projects not on the list that any of you think should be done?

Beeper1

You all know that none of this is ever going to happen, right?   The list of even small-scale highway pipe dreams in CT is long. Plus the state is effectively broke.

AMLNet49

Quote from: Beeper1 on April 06, 2016, 05:19:32 PM
You all know that none of this is ever going to happen, right?   The list of even small-scale highway pipe dreams in CT is long. Plus the state is effectively broke.
What state DOTs are rolling in money (besides Texas which has a unique way of siphoning money for transportation projects)?

cl94

Quote from: AMLNet49 on April 06, 2016, 07:39:16 PM
Quote from: Beeper1 on April 06, 2016, 05:19:32 PM
What state DOTs are rolling in money (besides Texas which has a unique way of siphoning money for transportation projects)?

I'm trying to figure out how the hell they can do it. Their politicians are nutjobs, too.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 06, 2016, 03:19:54 PM

Route 11, I-384 Bolton to Windham, NW Quadrant of I-291 from CT 9 to Windsor.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 06, 2016, 09:42:26 PM

These two projects can be done with federal funding, BTW.  Clearing the environmental/political hurdles is another issue.

abqtraveler

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 07, 2016, 10:47:00 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 06, 2016, 09:42:26 PM

These two projects can be done with federal funding, BTW.  Clearing the environmental/political hurdles is another issue.

The reason I-291 and extending I-384 (or US-6 Bypass) from Bolton to Windham is because the can't complete the environmental/political process in the face of unwavering opposition to both projects by the EPA.  Since EPA clearance is once of the decision gates required to complete the EA/EIS and permitting process, it doesn't make any sense to pursue projects that everyone knows will never get approved.  Route 11 still has a fair chance of eventually being built, the factor holding up its completion for more than 40 years now is (and has always been) about finding the money to finish it.

For the overall list of short-term and long-term projects, I do believe that Governor Malloy and DOT Commissioner Redeker are correct in that the only way Connecticut could finance such an initiative is to create a transportation "lockbox" by amending the state's constitution.  The problem, is an amendment guaranteeing a dedicated funding stream for transportation investment is being attacked from both sides.  Republicans oppose it out of fear of bringing back tolls to Connecticut's highways, while many Democrats in the state legislature oppose it because it would create a huge pot of money that they can't raid to bolster the General Fund to keep "feeding the beast" that is the state budget.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

RobbieL2415

Well here's the list of long-term projects ConnDOT is at least considering.  CT 11 is still on there.

cl94

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 07, 2016, 02:34:44 PM
Well here's the list of long-term projects ConnDOT is at least considering.  CT 11 is still on there.

Good lord. Some of those will be traffic hell if they actually get past the paper stage.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Pete from Boston

So is Connecticut committing to permanent use of the very small, one- and two-panel logo signs? When I asked a few years ago here, I was told they would be temporary installations, but they seem to be popping up all over the place, and they still look like a substandard, thrown-together setup.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 11, 2016, 03:35:16 PM
So is Connecticut committing to permanent use of the very small, one- and two-panel logo signs? When I asked a few years ago here, I was told they would be temporary installations, but they seem to be popping up all over the place, and they still look like a substandard, thrown-together setup.
The one for Exit 63 on I-84E was replaced this past summer, and the one on I-91S for Exit 40 is gone now too.

wytout

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 11, 2016, 03:35:16 PM

are you talking about attractions signs (blue signs)?  I do believe those are "temporary" in so far as they'll be replaced with BBS during the next blanket signing project that covers a particular area.... which depending on where they are located will be anywhere from 50 -250 years... on CT's sign update schedule.
-Chris

Pete from Boston

Yes, those are the ones.

wytout

State Contracting schedule of upcoming solicitations shows that most of a much needed sign upgrade has been neutered.

Project 0171-0304: I-84: Update Signing vic. Exit 30 to Exit 52, has been scaled back to...
Update Signing vic. Exit 30 to Exit 39A

The Capitol infrastructure plan through 2020 does not include any additional signing projects that encompass the section that was removed.
-Chris

shadyjay

Actually it makes sense for ConnDOT to only tackle Exit 30-39A with this particular project.  As construction projects are pending from West Hartford to Hartford (viaduct, widening, etc), it makes sense to hold off.  And in reality, there isn't going to be much changing between Exits 30-39A, except Exits 31-32.  Spot replacements and the 84/72W project several years back replaced most of the button copy.  There's a little left for Exit 36, and pretty much all of Exits 39-39A, but that's essentially it.  Wonder if this project will realign the exit tabs for signage that was replaced already before the exit tabs started getting justified.  The CT 8 sign project from Thomaston to Winsted involves realigning exit tabs for Exit 38. 

jp the roadgeek

Which tells me I-84 going to mileage based exits won't happen till 2064.  Does this sign replacement contract include smart mile markers?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

connroadgeek

Quote from: kurumi on April 06, 2016, 11:39:32 AM
"Let's Go CT", Gov. Malloy's statewide transportation initiative, has a project dashboard: http://www.letsgoct.com/RampUpDashboard.html. At first glance, it's a pretty clean summary of the state's plans.

Major projects (95 widening, 84/8 interchange, etc.) are broken out into when funding might arrive and when work could start and finish (most in the 2020s and 2030s). I have no idea how realistic the numbers are, but there are numbers.

Use "Previous Level" for "go back" navigation; it appears to be a single-page app.

Why does every project take so long? Seems like most of them have a design milestone of this year, then a construction complete by some crazy date 10 or 20 years out even for small stuff. I mean the 91/15/691 interchange is going to take ten years to build and $58 million? That seems insane to me. No wonder nothing ever gets done - just seeing the numbers on paper is enough for me to say no thanks.

kurumi

Quote from: connroadgeek on April 16, 2016, 12:18:45 PM
Quote from: kurumi on April 06, 2016, 11:39:32 AM

Why does every project take so long? ... I mean the 91/15/691 interchange is going to take ten years to build and $58 million? That seems insane to me. ...

The sad part is, I look at $58 million and think "there's not much they'll be able to do with only $58 million". IIRC, the single flyover ramp from I-95 NB to CT 34 WB (RIP) was $98 million.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kurumi

How a Historic Hartford Building Next to I-84 Survived Decades of Change (WNPR)

This is the story of a historic house that managed to dodge I-84's drunken careening through Hartford. Notable for roadgeeks is the photo of a plan dated June 29, 1956 (I think; date is faint) from Alfred Kaehrle and Associates, titled "Proposed East-West Expressway, Line G-1". This map details the proposed alignment, with interchanges, of future I-84.

Highlights:
* folded diamond (parclo) at New Park Avenue; an interchange for Prospect Road was built instead
* trumpet leading to Brookfield Street at site of today's SR 504 interchange
* folded diamond at Park Street, between today's exits 45 and 46 (plenty of room :-)
* detail of the proposed CT 189 freeway and extra ramps at Sisson Ave (SR 503)
* full diamond at Sigourney Street
* interchange with I-484 (that design survived, though 484 was never completed)
* two Broad Street entrance ramps that were built, but later removed
* two more Broad Street ramps, never built
* the Beatrice Fox braided ramps in the canyon (later removed)
* I-484 interchange at Pulaski Circle

As many ramps as there were before CT did some cleanup in the late 1980s -- there were even more proposed back in the day. Engineering standards have really changed.

I haven't seen this map anywhere else online. Grab a copy if you're interested.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: kurumi on April 16, 2016, 02:32:10 PM
How a Historic Hartford Building Next to I-84 Survived Decades of Change (WNPR)

This is the story of a historic house that managed to dodge I-84's drunken careening through Hartford. Notable for roadgeeks is the photo of a plan dated June 29, 1956 (I think; date is faint) from Alfred Kaehrle and Associates, titled "Proposed East-West Expressway, Line G-1". This map details the proposed alignment, with interchanges, of future I-84.

Highlights:
* folded diamond (parclo) at New Park Avenue; an interchange for Prospect Road was built instead
* trumpet leading to Brookfield Street at site of today's SR 504 interchange
* folded diamond at Park Street, between today's exits 45 and 46 (plenty of room :-)
* detail of the proposed CT 189 freeway and extra ramps at Sisson Ave (SR 503)
* full diamond at Sigourney Street
* interchange with I-484 (that design survived, though 484 was never completed)
* two Broad Street entrance ramps that were built, but later removed
* two more Broad Street ramps, never built
* the Beatrice Fox braided ramps in the canyon (later removed)
* I-484 interchange at Pulaski Circle

As many ramps as there were before CT did some cleanup in the late 1980s -- there were even more proposed back in the day. Engineering standards have really changed.

I haven't seen this map anywhere else online. Grab a copy if you're interested.

I wish they built the 189 freeway.  That road gets seriously backed up through West Hartford/Bloomfield during rush hour, with UHart commuters and such.

The Ghostbuster

There are so many things Connecticut could have/should have done, but didn't. Actually, that could be said for many things around the country.

Mergingtraffic

CT-25 sign replacement project moving along.

and

You can see the foundations are up.

All route markers, mileage markers, warning and regulatory signs are up.  No new BGS or YGS are up yet.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 18, 2016, 09:16:50 PM
CT-25 sign replacement project moving along.

and

You can see the foundations are up.

All route markers, mileage markers, warning and regulatory signs are up.  No new BGS or YGS are up yet.

Well needed, IMO.  Those are the original signs from the 80's, during ConnDOT's brief non-button copy phase.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.