News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: MikeCL on February 04, 2017, 02:05:16 AM
Hey I've always been wondering about this i guess abandoned on-ramp in Stamford

Nitpick: the ramp is in Darien. The Noroton River, directly to the west of Brookside Drive, is the line between Darien and Stamford.

As for the story behind it, I don't know that it was ever open to the general public. I would say Historic Aerials is inconclusive on this matter since none of the older images are high res enough to clearly see the striping. I do know that it was shown on Hagstrom maps in the 1990s, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I grew up in Stamford and don't remember ever using this ramp, but then we would not have had a reason to.

Quote from: shadyjay on February 04, 2017, 01:40:20 PM
IIRC, there used to be an emissions testing station located at that garage

There was, I remember being with my parents when they got their cars tested there. We exited through the service plaza onto I-95 south, though, not via that ramp.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

MikeCL

How many other roads in CT had ramps like this but then out of service?

iPhone

MikeCL

Hey another question been trying to find out for years... you know on the highway (95) what are those square boxes on light pole or sometimes pointed at bridges is it some type of traffic monitor? I never could get a picture since I'm normally the one driving

iPhone

Mergingtraffic

OH C'mon!!  Read a new idea about the CT15/US7 interchange in Norwalk. 

https://www.nancyonnorwalk.com/2017/01/conndot-consultant-reveals-new-idea-for-merritt-parkwayroute-7-interchange/#more-62076

http://www.7-15norwalk.com/

I'll say again, what is free flowing high speed highways frowned upon so much??  There is a place for it.

THEN:
IDK why people still think the connector will be built to Danbury just b/c they finish the connections of the interchange!?!?  People and their stereotypes.
Look at this comment in the above article:

I had Adolph's name wrong. Correction made.

Gordon Tully

January 31, 2017 at 1:57 pm

This design is the best news I have seen coming out of DOT in a long while. It shows that the extension of the connector is at least remote in their thinking, and it shows more respect for the character of the Merritt than the other scheme.

Support this scheme! The only better plan would be to do nothing, but I suspect that is off the table.

Mr. Cooper, more highways and cloverleafs is an idea left over from the 1950's. What has been found throughout the world is that if you build it, they will jam it. If you are worried about traffic jams, get the damned cars off the road.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

dgolub

RobbieL2415

Quote from: dgolub on February 28, 2017, 06:48:35 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on February 28, 2017, 06:12:42 PM
OH C'mon!!  Read a new idea about the CT15/US7 interchange in Norwalk. 

https://www.nancyonnorwalk.com/2017/01/conndot-consultant-reveals-new-idea-for-merritt-parkwayroute-7-interchange/#more-62076

Traffic lights?  Seriously?

Looks like a VT style interchange. Go halfway and just put lights at the end of the ramps.

Duke87

I'll say again, what is free flowing high speed highways frowned upon so much??

Fairfield County has an identity crisis. It's been largely sprawling suburbs for decades now, but many of its residents retain a small town mindset where large scale development and population growth are seen as a threat to their way of life.

The US 7 expressway is, perhaps, the single most epitomizing symptom of this problem. The traffic justification for building the whole thing was there decades ago when it was first planned. But the folks in Wilton and Ridgefield did not want the extra traffic and hustle and bustle that they believed it would bring to their communities, because again, identity crisis - they would like to believe they are small towns off in the middle of New England rather than suburbs a 90 minute ride from Grand Central Terminal.

Because of this, some of them seem to view the US 7 expressway in Norwalk as a loaded gun pointed at them, perpetually threatening their existence as they know it should the state ever pull the trigger on finishing it (an idea which still retains some support). Proposals such as the one seen in the link above, therefore, arise in order to placate the fears of people who think that the highway stub ending 1/4 mile short of the Norwalk/Wilton line is too close for comfort and want it shortened one way or another in order to more confidently ensure it is never finished as originally proposed.

Meanwhile the fact that this interchange involves the Merritt Parkway exacerbates the controversy, because the same identity crisis has people trying to preserve the parkway as though it is a tranquil country road instead of a woefully substandard suburban freeway... thus meaning that any freeway-freeway junction which comes anywhere near modern standards is out of the question because it's too big/not scenic enough.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Duke87 on February 28, 2017, 07:24:17 PM

Fairfield County has an identity crisis. It's been largely sprawling suburbs for decades now, but many of its residents retain a small town mindset where large scale development and population growth are seen as a threat to their way of life.

The US 7 expressway is, perhaps, the single most epitomizing symptom of this problem. The traffic justification for building the whole thing was there decades ago when it was first planned. But the folks in Wilton and Ridgefield did not want the extra traffic and hustle and bustle that they believed it would bring to their communities, because again, identity crisis - they would like to believe they are small towns off in the middle of New England rather than suburbs a 90 minute ride from Grand Central Terminal.

Because of this, some of them seem to view the US 7 expressway in Norwalk as a loaded gun pointed at them, perpetually threatening their existence as they know it should the state ever pull the trigger on finishing it (an idea which still retains some support). Proposals such as the one seen in the link above, therefore, arise in order to placate the fears of people who think that the highway stub ending 1/4 mile short of the Norwalk/Wilton line is too close for comfort and want it shortened one way or another in order to more confidently ensure it is never finished as originally proposed.

Meanwhile the fact that this interchange involves the Merritt Parkway exacerbates the controversy, because the same identity crisis has people trying to preserve the parkway as though it is a tranquil country road instead of a woefully substandard suburban freeway... thus meaning that any freeway-freeway junction which comes anywhere near modern standards is out of the question because it's too big/not scenic enough.
The same people that opposed the freeways in the 70s are the same people bitching about the constant traffic.  And, I believe, are the same people who are left lane bandits and do 80 on the Merritt/WC.

jp the roadgeek

Nothing like creating a Breezewood in the middle of Fairfield County.  Super 7 needs to be built 40 years ago, and this is basically akin to the same lame compromise that ConnDOT reached in extending CT 72 into Bristol when in reality it should have been built as an expressway out to CT 8 in Thomaston.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

shadyjay

Not to mention Route 11, which was fast-tracked at some point in the early 00s, but has been cancelled indefinitely after $XXX million spent on studies.  Or the fact that there is no bypass around Hartford.  Or the fact that 40+ years later, traffic lights remain on Route 9 in Middletown. 

Mergingtraffic

beautifully said.  But when they build condos or a Home Depot nobody complains (as much).  I still don't see how the original proposal and Alt 21C is so bad.  It's not like there's no highway there to begin with. 

And don't say the traffic light scenario won't happen, because the DOT was thisclose to putting in the cloverleaf to ease the critics and take the easy way out.  But, the Silvermine people thankfully opposed because the clovers would be closer to their neighborhood.  But, the DOT was all set to do the cloverleaf option and even had a powerpoint showing effective cloverleafs! WTF!

abqtraveler

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 01, 2017, 03:30:44 PM

beautifully said.  But when they build condos or a Home Depot nobody complains (as much).  I still don't see how the original proposal and Alt 21C is so bad.  It's not like there's no highway there to begin with. 

And don't say the traffic light scenario won't happen, because the DOT was thisclose to putting in the cloverleaf to ease the critics and take the easy way out.  But, the Silvermine people thankfully opposed because the clovers would be closer to their neighborhood.  But, the DOT was all set to do the cloverleaf option and even had a powerpoint showing effective cloverleafs! WTF!

Another illogical decision by Connecticut highway planners.  Why would anyone in their right mind put an at-grade intersection on a freeway?  Let's think for a second:  40,000 vehicles a day moving at 70 mph, and all of a sudden there's a red light.  Leaving the rock cut opposite the end of the Route 7 freeway at Gristmill Road would have been a safer alternative than ConnDOT's latest plan for the Route 7/15 interchange.

And yes, Fairfield County does have an identity crisis.  People along the Route 7 corridor oppose completing the freeway between Norwalk and Danbury to preserve the "rural character" along the route, but have no problem with uncontrolled development of subdivisions, luxury condos, and strip malls within the same corridor.  What hypocrisy.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

RobbieL2415

Quote from: abqtraveler on March 01, 2017, 08:00:47 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 01, 2017, 03:30:44 PM

Another illogical decision by Connecticut highway planners.  Why would anyone in their right mind put an at-grade intersection on a freeway?  Let's think for a second:  40,000 vehicles a day moving at 70 mph, and all of a sudden there's a red light.  Leaving the rock cut opposite the end of the Route 7 freeway at Gristmill Road would have been a safer alternative than ConnDOT's latest plan for the Route 7/15 interchange.

And yes, Fairfield County does have an identity crisis.  People along the Route 7 corridor oppose completing the freeway between Norwalk and Danbury to preserve the "rural character" along the route, but have no problem with uncontrolled development of subdivisions, luxury condos, and strip malls within the same corridor.  What hypocrisy.
I am of the belief that you will never see a new Limited-access highway constructed in this state.  The corridors where they are proposed are too densely populated.  Yes, I know eminint domain is constitutional but are you, as the State, really going to relocate 30,40,50 homes all at once?  Then you have EPA regulatory procedures to deal with and the securing of funding.

The most effective long-term solutions to gridlock are going to be spot improvements that don't intrude on the  common person's lifestyle.  CT 72 and US 7 bypassing as an example.

kurumi

I was curious as to what sort of rural character in Wilton that the Super 7 would destroy forever -- and looked over some of the charming village mom and pop shops along existing Route 7. In rough order from south to north, these include Outback, Michaels, Dunkin Donuts, TJ Maxx, Radio Shack, Boston Market, Supercuts, Self Storage (x2), a Chevrolet dealership, Super Stop and Shop, CVS, Wells Fargo, Chase.

I understand why the town wants these businesses to serve their residents (surprisingly, sales tax is not a source of revenue)*. I also understand why the town wants to have it both ways, because that's the American way. Outskirts of New York City, but if they could only just ban all thru traffic (build a wall and make Norwalk pay for it) then life would be perfect, because all life's inconveniences are somebody else's fault.

There are towns in CT with 100% rural charm, and (for example) Route 109 is pretty quiet. But you're far from everything, you can't get a decent bagel, and you'll have to build your own shed to store your stuff. But go try it out. You won't have to worry about Super 109.

* (town budget, 2016 shows 95% of revenue ($114 million) is property taxes)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Duke87

Quote from: kurumi on March 02, 2017, 02:04:16 AM
(surprisingly, sales tax is not a source of revenue)

This does not surprise me at all - there are no local sales taxes in CT.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Duke87 on March 02, 2017, 07:49:14 PM
Quote from: kurumi on March 02, 2017, 02:04:16 AM
(surprisingly, sales tax is not a source of revenue)

This does not surprise me at all - there are no local sales taxes in CT.

That's why they have no problem with big box stores, strip malls, and expensive subdivisions because these towns only real source of revenue is from property taxes.  Undeveloped property yields less tax revenue for towns, while dense developments add greatly to the tax base.  Towns lose a huge chunk of potential property tax revenue when the state acquires private land for highways and other public uses, thus another source of the general opposition to highway expansion in the state.  Everyone gripes about traffic in Connecticut, but there is no political will bring forth real solutions to fix things.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Pete from Boston

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on February 19, 2017, 08:57:13 AM
Another article on the possible rest area closures, with more detail...

http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/Rest-areas-proposed-to-close-in-governor-s-10941642.php

I was thinking about the number of Boy Scout troops and other community groups that use these places for fundraising/public service projects, when it hit me like a stroke of genius–get the Boy Scouts to volunteer all the time and run the rest areas!

MikeCL

What are these on the highway?

iPhone

shadyjay

I believe that's part of ConnDOT's first generation of traffic cameras/ITS/IMS, as seen on I-95 in Fairfield and New Haven counties.  The newer installs, as seen in the greater Hartford area and east of Branford on I-95, are mounted on the same type of post as highway illumination, just higher up and with a more visible camera.  See this shot on I-91 NB at Exit 22 in Cromwell:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.615777,-72.6965224,3a,75y,20.03h,101.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTQs1uOOG2vF7zdaoDj1E-g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Here's a shot of I-95 at the Darien service plaza - SB, showing the "covered-up camera" and a higher mounted traditional camera:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0670169,-73.5046665,3a,38.2y,262.91h,102.1t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQvhBXZLeGJJHsJ2rgKCqQQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DQvhBXZLeGJJHsJ2rgKCqQQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D10.035127%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

MikeCL

That's not covered up they always look like that square and gray looking

iPhone

shadyjay

Correct, hence why I put it in " ".  It just appears to be blanked out. 

MikeCL

Oh sorry missed that haha Tapatalk shows the huge google link so I missed that

iPhone

KEVIN_224

Enjoy those ConnDOT traffic cam images! The state's travel ban just started here at 5 AM EDT. Enjoy the blizzard everyone! WAIT...

:-o

Mergingtraffic

More typical CT. So, let's sure up development without thinking about people will get there.  It seems if it wasn't for Preston Officials, nobody would have thought of improving the roads. Also note: an EIS was done for a second bridge span and the DOT never acted on it.  So it was a waste.

http://www.theday.com/local/20170120/preston-officials-want-bridge-expansion-moved-up-in-infrastructure-plan

Colorful maps unveiled this week by the Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority depicting the potential for several hundred million dollars' worth of development at the former Norwich Hospital also showed a narrow line cutting across the Thames River just south of both the project property and Mohegan Sun.
That is the Mohegan-Pequot Bridge, a two-lane span across the river described by a state transportation official as adequate for current traffic volumes and in good physical condition.
An estimated $100 million to improve the Route 2/2A/32 corridor between Preston and Montville, including a potential second bridge span, is listed in Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's "Let's Go CT"  massive $100 billion, 30-year state transportation infrastructure plan released in February 2015.
Thomas J. Maziarz, chief of the state Department of Transportation's Bureau of Policy and Planning, said at the time that the Route 2/2A/32 project was envisioned as a "long-term need."
But Preston residents and town officials were quick to point out this week that the narrow span likely would not be able to support traffic for the destination resort development envisioned by tribal planners for the former Norwich Hospital property: a 40-acre theme park, outdoor adventure park, synthetic skiing, hotels, major sports complex and retail offerings.
The former Norwich Hospital Preston Riverwalk property, Preston and the Mohegan-Pequot Bridge are seen from the air Tuesday, May 17, 2016.  (Sean D. Elliot/The Day)
BUY PHOTO
The former Norwich Hospital Preston Riverwalk property, Preston and the Mohegan-Pequot Bridge are seen from the air Tuesday, May 17, 2016. (Sean D. Elliot/The Day)
On Wednesday, the morning after the unveiling, First Selectman Robert Congdon asked officials at the Southeastern Connecticut Council of Governments to set up a meeting with DOT Commissioner James P. Redeker to discuss moving up the proposed Route 2/2A/32 improvements, designating them as a high priority for this region.
"I think it makes perfect sense to move it up in the priority list to support economic growth of the region,"  Congdon said.
Council of governments Executive Director James Butler said the project already is listed among six "highest long-term priorities"  for the region, including a new bridge span over the Thames River, in the council's "Long-Range Regional Transportation Plan FY 2015-2040."
In both cases, Maziarz and Butler said, the plans can be altered to reflect changes in projected development or other regional priorities. For example, Butler said, the council listed completion of Route 11 as its top priority, a project since canceled by state officials.
The existing Mohegan-Pequot Bridge is seen in the lower right of this rendering of potential development at the former Norwich Hospital site. (Submitted by: Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority)
The existing Mohegan-Pequot Bridge is seen in the lower right of this rendering of potential development at the former Norwich Hospital site. (Submitted by: Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority)
"It wouldn't be unusual to move a project up,"  Maziarz said. "Occasionally, we're being asked to put something as a higher priority because conditions change."
According to traffic counts listed in the council of governments' long-range plan, average daily traffic volumes from Mohegan Sun Boulevard to Preston on Route 2A increased from 15,500 in 1992 to 23,900 in 2014, a 54 percent hike.

Maziarz said without the proposed Norwich Hospital development, the current traffic totals would not warrant the proposed widening project that calls for two lanes in each direction with a second bridge span.
A tentative schedule of development of the former hospital property calls for finalizing the Property Disposition and Development Agreement by late February, followed by one year of final environmental cleanup before the tribe takes ownership of the property.
Mohegan Tribal Council Chairman Kevin Brown said Tuesday the five-year timeframe called for the proposed agreement – not yet public – would have development substantially completed by 2023.
"It takes several years just to design a bridge,"  Butler said.
Other improvements to the corridor on both sides of the river also are anticipated and might be able to be done quicker than a bridge project, Maziarz said.
In addition, as the Preston developers seek permit approvals for various aspects of the project, they could be required to make improvements to state Route 12, which runs through the former Norwich Hospital property. Typically, the costs of those local improvements, such as new traffic lights or turning lanes, are borne by the developers, Maziarz said.
State officials likely would meet with the tribe and project developers to work out a partnership plan for traffic improvements as the plans become solidified, Maziarz said.
State officials first proposed the second bridge span in 2008. An illustration as part of an environmental impact statement showed the potential new span erected just north of the existing bridge.
Maziarz said the project was never engineered.
"The concept would have to be completely re-evaluated,"  he said.
(of course it would--sarcasm)

RobbieL2415

The Legislative Committee on Transportation approved a bill on tolling the other day.  On to the General Assembly it goes.
http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-tolls-committee-vote-20170317-story.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.