News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

CT 184 just has that one exit... with CT 12 at it's western terminus. 

CT 8 still has 2 more sign replacement projects to go.  Derby to Waterbury gets tackled with a contract to be released this summer.  Next winter, the contract goes out for I-95 to Derby.  Then I'm guessing CT 8 will go mile-based, possibly CT 25 too, since the non-CT 8 portion of CT 25 already had its signs replaced. 

As for I-95, if I were in charge, I would've extended to current Groton-North Stonington sign project to the I-95/I-395 interchange and taken this opportunity to renumber exits.  There's already a jump in exit numbers there, so no big deal.  Then another contract from Branford to East Lyme to take care of signs/exit numbers there.  And not modify exits west of Branford.  In reality, we'll have to wait for a sign replacement project from Branford to (at least) Guilford before we see mile-based exits in the Branford-North Stonington stretch, as IIRC they want to replace numbers on a road all at once.

CT 2 and 9 are a ways off, and so is I-91, since there are no blanket sign replacement projects on those roads in the near future.  And as I've stated before, some of those signs were installed in the mid 1980s and are well overdue for replacement.

KEVIN_224

http://www.courant.com/community/middletown/hc-middletown-arrigoni-dot-construction-suicide-prevention-0615-20170614-story.html

Mork work on the Arrigoni Bridge between Middletown and Portland come 2019, this time involving the approaches to the bridge.

JJBers

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on June 15, 2017, 08:27:31 AM
http://www.courant.com/community/middletown/hc-middletown-arrigoni-dot-construction-suicide-prevention-0615-20170614-story.html

Mork work on the Arrigoni Bridge between Middletown and Portland come 2019, this time involving the approaches to the bridge.
I feel that CTDOT should rebuild the whole approach when they remove the intersections off of CT 9.
If that ever happens...
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

JJBers

Here's a random photo of US 6 in the mean time:

Along with CT 66 and CT 17 in Middletown:

Both are CC 2.0 by JJBers (Me)
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

amroad17

^ That US 6 photo should be in the Best of Signs thread!  :thumbsup:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

JJBers

Quote from: amroad17 on June 17, 2017, 01:41:09 AM
^ That US 6 photo should be in the Best of Signs thread!  :thumbsup:
Thanks, I'll post it there.
Anyways, gonna take more photos today, going down to Cheshire in a few hours.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

mariethefoxy

as far as mileage based numbers go, im not sure why they didnt do what PennDot did and just order new tabs or patch over the numbers on other tabs where the signs are still in good conditon

jp the roadgeek

It can be summed up in 4 words: Land of Steady Habits.  The state is always among the last in the country to change archaic laws.  We were the last state in the lower 48 to raise the maximum speed limit from 55, and one of the last states to allow liquor sales on Sundays.  After 45 years, they fimally just gave up on Route 11 even though the need is there and the ROW is already reserved.  People are already complaining about I-395 having changed its exit numbers.  The easiest way would be the PennDOT way, but CT has prioritized throwing $$ into other projects like the (Empty) Busway and on EIS after EIS.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

JJBers

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 17, 2017, 11:03:18 PM
It can be summed up in 4 words: Land of Steady Habits.  The state is always among the last in the country to change archaic laws.  We were the last state in the lower 48 to raise the maximum speed limit from 55, and one of the last states to allow liquor sales on Sundays.  After 45 years, they fimally just gave up on Route 11 even though the need is there and the ROW is already reserved.  People are already complaining about I-395 having changed its exit numbers.  The easiest way would be the PennDOT way, but CT has prioritized throwing $$ into other projects like the (Empty) Busway and on EIS after EIS.
My family still messes up the exit numbers after 2 years.
And yes, CTfastrak is more of a paved ATV trail than a busway

I also hate to shove this in, but responding to earlier posts, I created a topic containing some road photos of mine: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20512.0
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

KEVIN_224

CT Fastrak also has still somewhat-shiny 2-year-old signage AND some old (historic?) house (?) at the Newington Juntion station...

I noticed this old section of concrete on the southbound Berlin Turnpike (US 5/CT 15) in Newington today. A milling and repaving project is underway from the corner of CT 160 (Deming Road) in Berlin north to the corner of Deming Street/Richard Street (southern terminus of CT 173) in Newington.

JJBers

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

JJBers

Do you think they're going to ever extend CT 11 to I-95...it seems dead, and the failure of the toll bill has killed it for the year at least.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Rothman

Quote from: JJBers on June 22, 2017, 11:19:15 PM
Do you think they're going to ever extend CT 11 to I-95...it seems dead, and the failure of the toll bill has killed it for the year at least.
No.  That plan went the way of the dodo.  Even Rand McNally stopped putting the dashed line in for it.  That is when you know that it is deader than coffin-nail dead.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beeper1

In another 5 years, they'll get funds for another feasibility study.  Then whine to their congressmen about how it should be fast-tracked, get the money, and then use the money for another project in another part of the state.  Then drop it again. 

Either way, it's been 40 years of wasted money on an effort to not build a highway that everyone agrees needs to be built.    but that's pretty much CT in a nutshell.....

JJBers

Quote from: Beeper1 on June 22, 2017, 11:50:11 PM
In another 5 years, they'll get funds for another feasibility study.  Then whine to their congressmen about how it should be fast-tracked, get the money, and then use the money for another project in another part of the state.  Then drop it again. 

Either way, it's been 40 years of wasted money on an effort to not build a highway that everyone agrees needs to be built.    but that's pretty much CT in a nutshell.....
That was the US 6 expressway until that was killed in the 2000s.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

yakra

Quote from: Rothman on June 22, 2017, 11:42:55 PM
No.  That plan went the way of the dodo.  Even Rand McNally stopped putting the dashed line in for it.  That is when you know that it is deader than coffin-nail dead.
Look, major. Hif I'adn't nailed that 'ighway to Route 82... 'e woulda muscled up to them in'erchange ramps, bent'em apart wiv 'is lit'le roight-of-way, and VOOM.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: yakra on June 23, 2017, 12:13:46 AM
Quote from: Rothman on June 22, 2017, 11:42:55 PM
Look, major. Hif I'adn't nailed that 'ighway to Route 82... 'e woulda muscled up to them in'erchange ramps, bent'em apart wiv 'is lit'le roight-of-way, and VOOM.

The Obituary

http://www.theday.com/article/20161018/NWS01/161019218

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

KEVIN_224

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-hartford-viaduct-upgrades-20170622-story.html?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Contentutm_content=594dab8204d30141d8c144a3utm_medium=trueAnthemutm_source=twitter

A story from The Hartford Courant, basically about the upkeep of the current I-84 viaduct in Hartford and how to maintain it until a replacement is ever built.

JJBers

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on June 23, 2017, 08:12:10 PM
http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-hartford-viaduct-upgrades-20170622-story.html?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Contentutm_content=594dab8204d30141d8c144a3utm_medium=trueAnthemutm_source=twitter

A story from The Hartford Courant, basically about the upkeep of the current I-84 viaduct in Hartford and how to maintain it until a replacement is ever built.
I was just driving through there earlier this week, and I saw nothing happening...is this starting in 2018?
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

yakra

It's not dead it's PINING
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

yakra

Maybe they should work on extending it north along the CT85 corridor, to... to Bolton.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: JJBers on June 23, 2017, 11:51:31 PM

I was just driving through there earlier this week, and I saw nothing happening...is this starting in 2018?

No.  It's underway now, but with most of the work taking place underneath.  If you drive through eastbound at the moment, you at least see the narrower, slightly shifted lanes, and jersey barriers through the deconstruction-prevention zone.

Alps

Quote from: yakra on June 24, 2017, 02:03:19 AM
Maybe they should work on extending it north along the CT85 corridor, to... to Bolton.
I was trying to catch the freeway to Notlob.

JJBers

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on June 24, 2017, 09:25:45 AM
Quote from: JJBers on June 23, 2017, 11:51:31 PM

No.  It's underway now, but with most of the work taking place underneath.  If you drive through eastbound at the moment, you at least see the narrower, slightly shifted lanes, and jersey barriers through the deconstruction-prevention zone.
Went through today, and yes...I did notice this time.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

pugnamedmax

Quote from: shadyjay on June 11, 2017, 01:02:56 PM
As for I-95, if I were in charge, I would've extended to current Groton-North Stonington sign project to the I-95/I-395 interchange and taken this opportunity to renumber exits.  There's already a jump in exit numbers there, so no big deal.  Then another contract from Branford to East Lyme to take care of signs/exit numbers there.  And not modify exits west of Branford.  In reality, we'll have to wait for a sign replacement project from Branford to (at least) Guilford before we see mile-based exits in the Branford-North Stonington stretch, as IIRC they want to replace numbers on a road all at once.

Completely agree with this plan. I have been thinking for years that I-95 should be renumbered to mile based exits only north of Exit 56 in Branford. This is the right exit to start because the exits past it begin becoming farther apart and the milepost 56 is right on an Exit 56 gore sign. If you renumber the whole thing, it will be alphabet soup and many one number changes south of here. That would just create problems IMO.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.