News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: Rothman on February 25, 2018, 10:59:59 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 25, 2018, 10:33:20 PM
How about building a toll road under a public-private partnership?  Have it run 10-15 miles north parallel to I-95.
Re-toll the Merritt and Wilbur Cross?  No.
I believe RobbieL2415 was referring to building a new road; not re-tolling existing roadways.  The Merritt & Wilbur Cross Parkways prohibit trucks and are situated closer (2-4 miles) from I-95 from New Haven southward.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beeper1

A new road in Fairfield County?    HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! 
That place is the capitol of NIMBY-Land. Hell, some there even want to UN-DO the last major road project that was completed there (US 7 near the Merritt interchange).

The fact that the Brookfield Bypass was built is nothing short of a miracle.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Beeper1 on February 26, 2018, 04:39:02 PM
That place is the capitol of NIMBY-Land. Hell, some there even want to UN-DO the last major road project that was completed there (US 7 near the Merritt interchange).

True that! Although if Brookfield was in Wilton it wouldn't have been built.

Although as I mentioned above CT goes in circles.....2005, let's complete the US-7/Meritt interchange...ok sure, oh wait we can't b/c of NIMBYs, lets pick this plan instead...ok, oops e can't b/c of funding.  2016, CT DOT finally got around to moving it forward again.  Oh look funding again and it's been suspended indefinitely.  CT can't get their act together.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jp the roadgeek

There once was a proposal for the Route 34 Expressway that was just that.  Was supposed to connect to a Route 35 Expressway that would have extended into Westchester County.  Found this on Steve Anderson's NYC Roads page (scroll down for the details)

http://www.nycroads.com/roads/CT-34/
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

shadyjay

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 25, 2018, 04:16:35 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on February 22, 2018, 06:59:57 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on February 05, 2018, 03:53:18 PM
Anybody notice the new signing contract on I-84 between Exits 29-39 that some of the extruded aluminum signs are very close to the road.  I can see trucks that pull over on the shoulder clipping them.

Also an Exit 39 (left exit) BGS on I-84 east has a left exit tab that is alligned to the RIGHT.

Also noticed a WHITE "WEST" banner over an I-84 shield on I-84 west just past CT-4.

Saw it yesterday just west of the Fienemann Rd exit.  Wanted to take a picture but it was raining to beat the band.  Not quite as egregious as when they put the wrong exit number signs up for CT 10 (they've also since replaced that brown exit tab for Exit 31 WB).  As far as the sign replacement project, seems all the ground mounts are in, and existing old signage has been removed up to exit 32.  There is now no reflective button copy signage left on I-84 from the NY border to Exit 39.   

I'm guessing this is it, from the ConnDOT traffic cameras:

404318--1 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

That's just about as good as the "CT" Route 6 shields they put up east of Farmington along I-84 a few years back. 

Looking to shoot all the new signage, but that won't be till my next trip down there, which will be most likely late April.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on February 26, 2018, 06:06:18 PM
Anybody notice the new signing contract on I-84 between Exits 29-39 that some of the extruded aluminum signs are very close to the road.  I can see trucks that pull over on the shoulder clipping them.

Also an Exit 39 (left exit) BGS on I-84 east has a left exit tab that is alligned to the RIGHT.

Also noticed a WHITE "WEST" banner over an I-84 shield on I-84 west just past CT-4.

Saw it yesterday just west of the Fienemann Rd exit.  Wanted to take a picture but it was raining to beat the band.  Not quite as egregious as when they put the wrong exit number signs up for CT 10 (they've also since replaced that brown exit tab for Exit 31 WB).  As far as the sign replacement project, seems all the ground mounts are in, and existing old signage has been removed up to exit 32.  There is now no reflective button copy signage left on I-84 from the NY border to Exit 39.   

I'm guessing this is it, from the ConnDOT traffic cameras:

404318--1 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

That's just about as good as the "CT" Route 6 shields they put up east of Farmington along I-84 a few years back. 

Looking to shoot all the new signage, but that won't be till my next trip down there, which will be most likely late April.

I just expected better considering it's 2018.  lol I noticed the CT-4 (SR-508) signs weren't in the contract. I wonder when they will be replaced.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on February 26, 2018, 06:49:30 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on February 26, 2018, 06:06:18 PM

I just expected better considering it's 2018.  lol I noticed the CT-4 (SR-508) signs weren't in the contract. I wonder when they will be replaced.

Some spot signage replacement has taken place on SR 508.  The overhead signage hasn't been replaced, but the signage just before the traffic light has been replaced.  Here's a pic:

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

This is why I commented the way I did.  Building a whole new freeway in that area is infeasible on so many levels.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RobbieL2415

Those people continue to pay the price for their activism.  They are all hypocrites.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Rothman on February 27, 2018, 08:09:17 AM

This is why I commented the way I did.  Building a whole new freeway in that area is infeasible on so many levels.
One thing or the other will have to happen.  You can't get rid of traffic overnight.  I mean do these NIMBYs have any sort of realistic solution proposed?

kurumi

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 27, 2018, 11:39:48 PM

One thing or the other will have to happen.  You can't get rid of traffic overnight.  I mean do these NIMBYs have any sort of realistic solution proposed?

Oh yes.
* go drive someplace else
* enforce traffic rules, people are speeding too much, if people just drove the speed limit I-95 would be LOS A
* keep your city problems within city limits
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

RobbieL2415

Quote from: kurumi on February 28, 2018, 01:06:03 PM

Oh yes.
* enforce traffic rules, people are speeding too much, if people just drove the speed limit I-95 would be LOS A
Number 1 doesn't help when we rely on cars so much for basic transportation.  A better solution would be more public transportation.  Number two I'm not so sure has an effect on congestion.  In fact wouldn't slow drivers be more of a problem?  I don't know how to respond to number 3.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 28, 2018, 04:32:29 PMNumber 1 doesn't help when we rely on cars so much for basic transportation.  A better solution would be more public transportation.

But more public transportation makes it too easy for undesirable people from out of town to come into your space.  The sole exception is rail service, express, between your station and Grand Central.  Or so Fairfield County NIMBY thinking goes.

AMLNet49

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 28, 2018, 04:32:29 PM
Quote from: kurumi on February 28, 2018, 01:06:03 PM

Oh yes.
Number 1 doesn't help when we rely on cars so much for basic transportation.  A better solution would be more public transportation.  Number two I'm not so sure has an effect on congestion.  In fact wouldn't slow drivers be more of a problem?  I don't know how to respond to number 3.
You're thinking of this too analytically and logically.

These people basically want to pretend they're living in another, exclusive, gated part of NYC itself.

No proposal short of banning non-residents from driving within town limits and building a HyperLink to Manhattan will satisfy them

jp the roadgeek

Didn't get a pic of it, but our I-84 white West error sign has a new sibling about 2 miles later on the New Britain/Plainville town line on the 72 overpass. Installed some new signage on 84 westbound through Plainville today, and it was among them.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on February 28, 2018, 08:38:40 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 28, 2018, 04:32:29 PMNumber 1 doesn't help when we rely on cars so much for basic transportation.  A better solution would be more public transportation.

But more public transportation makes it too easy for undesirable people from out of town to come into your space.  The sole exception is rail service, express, between your station and Grand Central.  Or so Fairfield County NIMBY thinking goes.
This is why we need to re-instate county governments.  There are seven other counties besides Fairfield, they are not the center of the universe.

Alps

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 01, 2018, 11:08:25 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on February 28, 2018, 08:38:40 PM

This is why we need to re-instate county governments.  There are seven other counties besides Fairfield, they are not the center of the universe.
That is an utter nonsequitur.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 01, 2018, 11:08:25 PM

Transportation matters that get the NIMBYs going are already handled at the COG level rather than the town level, and that doesn't help.   (If the state were to abolish town government, it's more likely that COGs would be used for local government, rather than bringing back the counties.)

If all planning were done at the state level, there's a chance the NIMBYs could be overcome...but considering how many state officials rely on Fairfield County patrons to finance their campaigns....

vdeane

So they abolished counties only to create an entirely new entity that is just like a county.  Yeah, that makes sense.</sarcasm>
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: vdeane on March 02, 2018, 01:01:42 PM
So they abolished counties only to create an entirely new entity that is just like a county.  Yeah, that makes sense.</sarcasm>

Today, those entities are just regional planning organizations, lacking the authority of a conventional county.  They have the advantage of having their boundaries defined by modern interests, rather than historical cartography.  E.g. -- Tolland County is a bit redundant; Hartland is more of a Litchfield town than a Hartford County entity; Naugatuck Valley is a discrete region; and the rich folks in Fairfield County really want nothing to do with Bridgeport.

vdeane

Sounds like they're just MPOs and/or RTPOs then, so what's with the fancy name making them look like they're some county-replacement?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: vdeane on March 02, 2018, 01:34:56 PM
Sounds like they're just MPOs and/or RTPOs then, so what's with the fancy name making them look like they're some county-replacement?

It's New England.  Things are different here (and the towns have to appear to reign supreme).

wytout

Isn't it about time to put the Merritt parkway conservancy and nimbyism below safety on the priority list and cut some goddam trees down? Every single windy day in recent years results in at least one death from a fallen tree. There is no excuse for trees being able to fall on a high speed controlled access highway at this day in age. Another one got it in the nor'easter yesterday.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/37634809/police-identify-victim-killed-by-fallen-tree-on-route-15-in-stamford
-Chris

jp the roadgeek

I was able to get decent shots of the 2 I-84 West signage with the erroneous white directional plate.  The first is the one just west of Exit 37, the second is the one on the CT 72 overpass just west of Exit 35.

SectorZ

Quote from: wytout on March 03, 2018, 11:45:55 AM
Isn't it about time to put the Merritt parkway conservancy and nimbyism below safety on the priority list and cut some goddam trees down? Every single windy day in recent years results in at least one death from a fallen tree. There is no excuse for trees being able to fall on a high speed controlled access highway at this day in age. Another one got it in the nor'easter yesterday.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/37634809/police-identify-victim-killed-by-fallen-tree-on-route-15-in-stamford

Perhaps they should make the Merritt parkway conservancy a defendant in a wrongful death suit and we'll see how long this shit continues. Their open and obvious blocking of resolving the dangerous trees is well documented.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.