News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

connroadgeek

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on August 26, 2019, 05:06:58 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on August 26, 2019, 04:37:14 PM
Let's keep in mind that the Exit 33 sign pic I posted above is TEMPORARY.  So I see no reason to fault a sign that will (hopefully) only be up for a couple years.  Now why its not orange is beyond me. 

Mile markers on I-91 are MUTCD-compliant because they were replaced under a project that was just designed to do that... replace the mile markers along I-91 from New Haven to Enfield.  I-95 has them from Bridgeport to Branford, as that section has had its signs replaced in recent years, as a result of either sign projects or larger projects (Q Bridge).  The project from Greenwich to Fairfield was done prior to CT adopting the new mile markers.  It also pre-dates exit tabs with borders (but was one of the first roads in CT to get aligned exit tabs) and predates the blue logo signs for Attractions (including colleges). 

Same goes for I-84 from Southbury east to (western) Waterbury.  Those exit tabs are centered and the mile markers are the old style.  Those signs went up c 2002.   But you're right, there are no MUTCD-compliant mile posts on the Southington-Farmington section.  And its not just I-84 to the east that has bad mile markers... many on Rt 9 are more white than green, and then there are the roads that have never had any... I-291, I-691, I-384(?).  Then there's the ones on Rt 11 that count up from a promise that will [most likely] never be fullfilled. 

The I-95 West River bridge project had a nice orange extruded aluminum sign going SB just before the project warning of a road split.
And to this day the remnant I-95 shield is still stuck to the lower left corner of the exit 43 advance sign. It will probably outlive me.

RobbieL2415

All of I-91 has compliant mile markers.

abqtraveler

I was on ConnDOT's website browsing through their standard traffic markings and signage drawings as of June 20, 2019 (found here:  https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/Office-of-Engineering/CTDOT-CONTRACT-DRAWING-STANDARDS) and here are my observations:

1. The sign drawings specify that interstate shields will include "Connecticut," contrary to the proliferation of neutered interstate shields in other places.

2. Striping exit gores with white chevrons is now a standard requirement that's being phased in with current and future construction and resurfacing projects.  For a long time, Connecticut didn't stripe its ramp gores with any kind of markings. There are still a lot of ramp gores without striping, so ConnDOT is still transitioning to striped ramp gores as construction and resurfacing projects are completed.

3. New signage at town boundaries will state the town name, the year the town was established, and "Town Line" on freeways and non-freeways alike.

4. Intermediate reference markers on freeways are now standard. Additionally mile markers list the direction, route number and mileage.  Standard delineators are 4"x4" diamond-shaped white (right) or yellow (left) plates affixed to a steel post, placed at 400-foot intervals on freeways, with closer spacing around curves based on the curve radius.

All in all, the markings and signage specifications are more in line with what is spelled out in the MUTCD, although some Connecticut-unique signage specs still remain in ConnDOT's standard drawings.

2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

connroadgeek

Chevrons in gores seems like a waste of paint and doesn't really add anything. The gores always had standard lane edge markings from the point of divergence from the main line. Adding year of incorporation to signs is another superfluous standard that adds nothing nor aids the motorist in any way.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: abqtraveler on August 27, 2019, 11:00:46 PM
I was on ConnDOT's website browsing through their standard traffic markings and signage drawings as of June 20, 2019 (found here:  https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/Office-of-Engineering/CTDOT-CONTRACT-DRAWING-STANDARDS) and here are my observations:

1. The sign drawings specify that interstate shields will include "Connecticut," contrary to the proliferation of neutered interstate shields in other places.

2. Striping exit gores with white chevrons is now a standard requirement that's being phased in with current and future construction and resurfacing projects.  For a long time, Connecticut didn't stripe its ramp gores with any kind of markings. There are still a lot of ramp gores without striping, so ConnDOT is still transitioning to striped ramp gores as construction and resurfacing projects are completed.

3. New signage at town boundaries will state the town name, the year the town was established, and "Town Line" on freeways and non-freeways alike.

4. Intermediate reference markers on freeways are now standard. Additionally mile markers list the direction, route number and mileage.  Standard delineators are 4"x4" diamond-shaped white (right) or yellow (left) plates affixed to a steel post, placed at 400-foot intervals on freeways, with closer spacing around curves based on the curve radius.

All in all, the markings and signage specifications are more in line with what is spelled out in the MUTCD, although some Connecticut-unique signage specs still remain in ConnDOT's standard drawings.

Where's the sign drawings? Somehow I can't find them
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

Quote from: connroadgeek on August 28, 2019, 10:29:08 AM
Chevrons in gores seems like a waste of paint and doesn't really add anything. The gores always had standard lane edge markings from the point of divergence from the main line. Adding year of incorporation to signs is another superfluous standard that adds nothing nor aids the motorist in any way.
Chevrons add a tremendous amount of visibility to the highest crash area of a freeway. Don't even.

connroadgeek

Quote from: Alps on August 28, 2019, 05:01:23 PM
Chevrons add a tremendous amount of visibility to the highest crash area of a freeway. Don't even.
Most crashes in this state are due to following too closely and speeding - mostly the former if we are to believe the state police and DOT. Distracted driving is also up there as well, but I've not seen either agency cite gore areas as a contributing factor in crashes or particularly dangerous. Most accidents occur when people are just driving straight ahead and rear end the guy in front of them when traffic suddenly comes to a stop. Are people really driving onto exit gores with enough frequency to cause that many crashes? The only time I ever see someone in the gore area is for an emergency stop (e.g. disabled vehicle) or someone driving through one to make their exit at the last second.

Alps

Quote from: connroadgeek on August 28, 2019, 10:26:14 PM
Most crashes in this state are due to following too closely and speeding - mostly the former if we are to believe the state police and DOT. Distracted driving is also up there as well, but I've not seen either agency cite gore areas as a contributing factor in crashes or particularly dangerous. Most accidents occur when people are just driving straight ahead and rear end the guy in front of them when traffic suddenly comes to a stop. Are people really driving onto exit gores with enough frequency to cause that many crashes? The only time I ever see someone in the gore area is for an emergency stop (e.g. disabled vehicle) or someone driving through one to make their exit at the last second.
And if you mark the gore area, they won't drive through it at the last second, but instead will do it slightly ahead of time. I've seen people stop in gore areas. I've seen people drive right through like butter. All. The. Time. Also I work in the industry so I have a decent idea of where crashes occur. Do you work with crash diagrams?

wytout

I'm happy to see the return of chevrons in the gores, as I personally feel the do add tremendously to the visibility of the divergence point at a greater distance for easier negotiation, especially at night.
-Chris

ipeters61

While the frequency of crashes is certainly a concern, the severity of crashes is especially important.  Here's a fatal crash from Delaware last year where a motorcyclist switched lanes at the last second in the middle of the night: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/traffic/2018/07/17/motorcyclist-dies-after-striking-barrier-del-1/791130002/
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

connroadgeek

Quote from: wytout on August 29, 2019, 05:31:25 AM
I'm happy to see the return of chevrons in the gores, as I personally feel the do add tremendously to the visibility of the divergence point at a greater distance for easier negotiation, especially at night.
I agree they look better and stand out as you're going past it, certainly more than just marking the ramp with standard edge striping, but the bigger improvement IMO is the use of zipper striping that creates the ramp out of the left or right side of the roadway. That thicker shorter spaced dashed line in combination with the exit now guide sign is pretty effective as it provides hundreds of feet of warning versus any other method that's right at the gore.

billpa

Quote from: connroadgeek on August 29, 2019, 01:21:47 PM
Quote from: wytout on August 29, 2019, 05:31:25 AM
I agree they look better and stand out as you're going past it, certainly more than just marking the ramp with standard edge striping, but the bigger improvement IMO is the use of zipper striping that creates the ramp out of the left or right side of the roadway. That thicker shorter spaced dashed line in combination with the exit now guide sign is pretty effective as it provides hundreds of feet of warning versus any other method that's right at the gore.
Thank goodness we don't have to choose one method over the other. We can have both.
It's nice to see, at least some states, not insist on being cheap about these things.

Pixel 2

billpa

SectorZ

Quote from: billpa on September 03, 2019, 02:08:54 PM
About the big blue attraction signs that remain blank:

https://www.theday.com/article/20190901/NWS01/190909923

"Living in southeastern Connecticut, it's supposed to be the mecca for vacationers"

Um, yeah. Norwich is beautiful this time of year.

jp the roadgeek

They finally filled a spot on the empty one on I-84 in Plainville.  Has Connecticut Commons shopping center as the lone attraction
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

shadyjay

Noticed some new MUTCD-compliant mile markers on I-84 in eastern Connecticut, from about Vernon to Willington.  Not sure why they were put up in just that section.

KEVIN_224

The type with the interstate shield on them? One sign which definitely needs replacement is the TOLLAND/WILLINGTON town line sign in the grassy median. It's damaged and one of the letters (at last check) was falling off of it.

wytout

Yes approx mm 77-84. Interestingly the shield mile markers all have type B mile digits on them, vs Type C or D as on i91 or western I 84
-Chris

shadyjay

Stopped by the Westbrook Rest Area/Info Center on I-95 North today.  Building looks good.  Inside are restrooms, a couple vending machines, and a staffed info center.  Talking with the attendant, the rest area opened 8/26 and is currently open 9am-6pm daily.  She said the building will go to Thurs-Sun operation probably this fall (usually around Columbus Day) and revert to daily ops come springtime.  This is the same hours/operation as it had prior to its closing, 5 years or so ago.  There is a portable toilet in a fenced in section to the west of the building for after-hours needs. 

A couple shots:

95SB-Westbrook1 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

95NB-Westbrook-RestArea by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

That now makes all of Connecticut's on-highway rest areas and info centers open once again.  In an era where so many states have closed or severely reduced their rest area operations/maintenance (Mass. has boarded up most of their info centers, eliminated maintenance, and just has a string of portolets), it's nice to see Connecticut maintaining and staffing all of their areas once again. 

Duke87

Quote from: SectorZ on September 03, 2019, 07:33:19 PM
"Living in southeastern Connecticut, it's supposed to be the mecca for vacationers"

Um, yeah. Norwich is beautiful this time of year.

Ever tried to drive through Mystic on a summer weekend?

"Mecca" is an exaggeration but there are places in SE CT that are destinations for people at least regionally.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

RobbieL2415

Update concerning I-91 Exit 29/bridge rehab/resurfacing project:

-Milling and paving is nearly complete south of the Charter Oak Bridge.  Bridges were not part of this round since they're going to be rehabbed..
-Bridge rehab for the I-91 overpasses over CT 15 has begin.  Lane shift in effect.
-Drainage work is progressing at the flyover site.
-A lane shift is in effect on the Charter Oak Br. in both directions.  This has to be in anticipation of the median barrier being rebuilt.
-Grading has begun in the wedge between the COBr and I-91 S.
-CT 15 Exit 87 will see a long-term closure beginning on the 23rd.

MikeCL

Quote from: Alps on August 29, 2019, 12:30:02 AM
And if you mark the gore area, they won't drive through it at the last second, but instead will do it slightly ahead of time. I've seen people stop in gore areas. I've seen people drive right through like butter. All. The. Time. Also I work in the industry so I have a decent idea of where crashes occur. Do you work with crash diagrams?
I'm late to this but like Rt 7 people coming on from the on-ramp and that gore for exit 3 I think it is.. people just don't move over at all.

zzyzx

Found this on the r/Connecticut page...

Anyone have a rough idea when this image was taken?

RobbieL2415

Quote from: zzyzx on September 17, 2019, 02:15:54 AM
Found this on the r/Connecticut page...

Anyone have a rough idea when this image was taken?

This would be early 60's, maybe even late 50s.  I don't believe I-84 was completed through the city until '68 or 69.

Alps

The entire Bulkeley Bridge down to a single lane! That couldn't have been a pretty commute.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.