News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

THEY FINALLY TOOK DOWN THE OLD I-84 EB EXIT 36 1/2 MILE SIGN ON THE BRIDGE BEHIND THE NEW SIGN
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

shadyjay

Good.  Maybe this is a sign of progress being made to finish the Southington-to-Farmington contract and replace the remaining overheads. 

In "spot sign replacement" news... the following has been observed this week:

I-91 NB Exit 24 1/2 mile, with the old cantilever still standing (for now) in the background:
91NB-newExit24advance by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

CT 3 SB Jct I-91 sign, viewed from CT 3 NB.  This will not be replaced... removal only:
3SB-cruciformremoval by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

I-84 WB at Exit 64:
84WB-Exit64 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

84WB-Exit64 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

While there is still several sites to have work done in the 2017 project, the 2019 project has started, with foundation work for a new overhead on I-91 SB 1 mile before Exit 22 in Rocky Hill. 

And I believe we have a name for the color-coded "angled supports" that sprung up throughout CT in the 80s and early 90s.  The 2019 spot sign replacement calls this style "cruciform cantilever" and "cruciform" for the full width spans.  The sign removed on CT 3 SB linked above would be a "cruciform cantilever". 

RobbieL2415

So, is there no longer going to be a pull-through sign at exit 64?  It's kinda dumb having it sandwiched in there.

shadyjay

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 28, 2020, 06:08:49 PM
So, is there no longer going to be a pull-through sign at exit 64?  It's kinda dumb having it sandwiched in there.

The former truss gantry there will be removed, being replaced with the two 4-chord cantilevers.  The pull-through will be removed. 

zzyzx

Looks like CTDOT is replacing hundreds of LED traffic signal lamps at various state road intersections.

What got my attention was this:

QuoteWhere applicable, these projects will also replace circular red LED lamps with red arrow LED lamps at locations that are not currently in compliance with current design requirements, and will also replace circular green LED lamps with vertical green arrow LED lamps at applicable exit ramps to provide additional emphasis and countermeasures against wrong way driving maneuvers. Existing backplates and span-mounted signs will also be replaced.

There's no mention of replacing circular yellow lamps with FYAs.  I don't think there are any in the state right now, but don't you think this would be a good time to introduce them, given the large scale of the project?  I think this will be helpful in several towns, especially those with significantly less nighttime traffic, since the state is removing the nighttime flashing operation on future signal installations?

jp the roadgeek

And it looks like even more of the old signage has come down westbound on I-84 between Farmington and New Britain.  The old Exit 39/Exit 38 signage, the Exit 37 exit now signage, and the Exit 33 1 1/2 mile signage were both gone when I drove through today.  However, the button copy 1 mi Exit 39 EB sign remains on the Fienemann Rd overpass, as well as the old 39A exit now gantry EB.  The EB exit now sign for Slater Rd remains the bridge mounted button copy BGS.  It's only taken 2 1/2 years :eyebrow:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

connroadgeek

Quote from: zzyzx on March 03, 2020, 02:50:17 AM
Looks like CTDOT is replacing hundreds of LED traffic signal lamps at various state road intersections.

QuoteWhere applicable, these projects will also replace circular red LED lamps with red arrow LED lamps at locations that are not currently in compliance with current design requirements, and will also replace circular green LED lamps with vertical green arrow LED lamps at applicable exit ramps to provide additional emphasis and countermeasures against wrong way driving maneuvers. Existing backplates and span-mounted signs will also be replaced.

There's no mention of replacing circular yellow lamps with FYAs.  I don't think there are any in the state right now, but don't you think this would be a good time to introduce them, given the large scale of the project?  I think this will be helpful in several towns, especially those with significantly less nighttime traffic, since the state is removing the nighttime flashing operation on future signal installations?

They did a big round of this several years back. Connecticut was late to the red arrow party, then all of a sudden one day about five years ago they were everywhere. It was around the same time yellow-bordered back plates starting becoming all the rage. Still not sure what the point of the FYA is though and why it's needed. As I understand it, the meaning is you can turn left after yielding to oncoming traffic, but how is that any different than a standard green ball? We've always had to yield to oncoming traffic when turning left. The state even has a law (14-242e) that says so, FYA or not.

RobbieL2415

This may be old news, but I looked at the plans for the upcoming I-84 rehab/add-a-lane project in West Hartford.

The jist I got from it is that it will be:
- A complete bridge replacement over Berkshire Rd. and Ridgewood Rd.
- The addition of an aux lane from Exit 41 to Exit 40
-Full sign and traffic signal replacement.

Contract start date is May 4th, with a projected end date of October 3, 2022.  Incentivized finish date is September 5, 2022.

roadman

Quote from: shadyjay on February 28, 2020, 06:18:32 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 28, 2020, 06:08:49 PM

The former truss gantry there will be removed, being replaced with the two 4-chord cantilevers.  The pull-through will be removed. 

That pull thru sign, and the 'bitten off' corner with the replacement button copy down arrow, was always one of my landmarks on trips down I-84.  BTW, the sign has been in that condition for at least the past twelve years.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

KEVIN_224

I supposed that mess of a sign is still there? I refer to the Vernon/Tolland town line sign, with the destroyed button copy on either side. It's in the median.

ipeters61

Quote from: connroadgeek on March 03, 2020, 11:32:35 PM
Still not sure what the point of the FYA is though and why it's needed. As I understand it, the meaning is you can turn left after yielding to oncoming traffic, but how is that any different than a standard green ball? We've always had to yield to oncoming traffic when turning left. The state even has a law (14-242e) that says so, FYA or not.
When I was in grad school, I had several friends who were not from the United States and were not used to our rules of the road.  I had to explain to many of them that I was allowed to make a left at a "doghouse" style traffic light even after the green arrow disappeared.

In other words, it's more straightforward to understand for people learning to drive.  Needless to say, when I moved down here and saw a flashing red (or was it yellow? It was in MD), I was a tad confused at first but understood after a few seconds of looking at it.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

RobbieL2415

Quote from: connroadgeek on March 03, 2020, 11:32:35 PM
Quote from: zzyzx on March 03, 2020, 02:50:17 AM

They did a big round of this several years back. Connecticut was late to the red arrow party, then all of a sudden one day about five years ago they were everywhere. It was around the same time yellow-bordered back plates starting becoming all the rage. Still not sure what the point of the FYA is though and why it's needed. As I understand it, the meaning is you can turn left after yielding to oncoming traffic, but how is that any different than a standard green ball? We've always had to yield to oncoming traffic when turning left. The state even has a law (14-242e) that says so, FYA or not.
Right, but I believe a new section codifying the FYA is necessary to enforce it.  Every other phase is in there.  There would also need to be a campaign to educate drivers on how the FYA works and there will probably be people who oppose it because it's another signal phase to memorize.

jp the roadgeek

Just noticed that some of the new enhanced mile markers are going up on I-84 on the Southington-Farmington stretch.  The signage was very spotty this morning; I got on at Queen St EB and got off on 72 EB.  The 46.6 and 46.8 at the top of the entrance ramp were installed, as well as a 48.4 and 48.6 in Plainville around the 55 MPH speed drop.  Here's a shot of the 48.6:

vdeane

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 11, 2020, 11:23:29 AM
Just noticed that some of the new enhanced mile markers are going up on I-84 on the Southington-Farmington stretch.  The signage was very spotty this morning; I got on at Queen St EB and got off on 72 EB.  The 46.6 and 46.8 at the top of the entrance ramp were installed, as well as a 48.4 and 48.6 in Plainville around the 55 MPH speed drop.  Here's a shot of the 48.6:

That looks like a standard MUTCD marker with an E on top.  The enhanced ones look like this: http://nysroads.com/photos.php?route=i86&state=NY&file=101_4553.JPG
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

From my observations, CT only uses enhanced mile markers on every whole number mile (i.e. MM X.0).

However, jp the roadgeek's pic of MM 48.6 is indeed an example of a newer design.  CTDOT's prior-styled tenths mile makers looked like this (pardon the smallish GSV of such).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kurumi

At the end of the I-84 exit 11 ramps in Newtown (dead Route 25), there's a sign pointing to Route 59: https://goo.gl/maps/4LmY5TfQET4b8dG77

This seems helpful but random; Route 59 is almost 8 miles away and seemingly not a pressing concern for I-84 travelers. The marker is next to a covered-up detour sign.

Anyone know more about this?
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 11, 2020, 02:11:21 PM
From my observations, CT only uses enhanced mile markers on every whole number mile (i.e. MM X.0).

However, jp the roadgeek's pic of MM 48.6 is indeed an example of a newer design.  CTDOT's prior-styled tenths mile makers looked like this (pardon the smallish GSV of such).

MassDOT also provides the full enhanced milepost only at the even mile, but uses a different design for the intermediate mileposts than CT does.  https://www.mass.gov/doc/massdot-standard-sign-book/download  see MA-D10-2b and MA-D10-4a details.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jp the roadgeek

Took a short ride today.  Most of the 1/5 MP were done but not the full MP's, except one.  Found this enhanced MM.

zzyzx

Enhanced MM have been around for a while on 95 in the southeastern part.  They were installed as part of the sign replacement project.  This is from the summer of 2018:

shadyjay

Quote from: kurumi on March 11, 2020, 10:39:19 PM
At the end of the I-84 exit 11 ramps in Newtown (dead Route 25), there's a sign pointing to Route 59: https://goo.gl/maps/4LmY5TfQET4b8dG77

This seems helpful but random; Route 59 is almost 8 miles away and seemingly not a pressing concern for I-84 travelers. The marker is next to a covered-up detour sign.

Anyone know more about this?

I checked it out on Google Maps and saw that TO 59 sign is wooden, which leads me to believe its part of some construction detour.

But this one's my favorite, from the Dept of Redundancy Dept....which also appears to be wooden and therefore, also part of some construction project:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4076621,-73.2690328,3a,21.4y,343.87h,88.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sho2o6Fu0MDtGSGSJEVLarQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

EDIT: 
So I found this press release regarding a project in 2018 for bridge work on Route 25 in Monroe:
https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/Construction-News-from-the-Connecticut-Department-of-Transportation/2018/Rescheduled-Closure-of-Route-25-in-Monroe-for-Bridge-Construction-Activities

I'm guessing this would've been located between Routes 111 & 59, since Route 111 is mentioned as the detour (111N to 34W to Wasserman Way, reverse SB).  If coming off I-84 at Exit 11, the detour for CT 25 South thru traffic would've been to the right (via 34E to 111S) but the "TO 59" sign was there saying you could still travel down CT 25 South up to CT 59, but not beyond that.  And since it wasn't a detour, but instead as an advisory, then no DETOUR placque is necessary.  But the wooden nature of it makes it a construction/contractor sign.

shadyjay

Further reference on mile markers...

A very faded mile marker 20 on CT 9 North in Middletown. 
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5187339,-72.6035626,3a,22y,345.66h,88.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so217swiePCTr83Gh5VJmJg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

A typical Mass. 0.2/mile marker:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.445484,-72.6194384,3a,75y,53.12h,70.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYXix9yl7OMnMZv7i3HghJw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Non-standard Mass. 0.1/mile marker, installed when the Deerfield River bridge on I-91 was replaced:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5213749,-72.6252966,3a,60y,8.33h,87.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syvaGkXPv2VgVqz7SMiaZpg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
(this is the same style Vermont uses, but VT only does 0.2/mile markers.  This is the only case I've seen with every tenth being designated with a marker)

The markers for 0.2/mile on I-84 from Danbury to Newtown are similar to the ones that were on I-95 west of Branford to NY in the early 90s.  The new ones, which are slightly larger, aren't bad, but would look better if the route direction (N,S,E,W) was the same size font as the mile numerals. 

RobbieL2415

Any word on if ConnDOT has allowed contractors to suspend work on major projects?

Alps

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 12, 2020, 07:31:51 PM
Any word on if ConnDOT has allowed contractors to suspend work on major projects?
That is the last thing contractors are going to do.

SectorZ

Is this something they are asking for?

vdeane

Quote from: Alps on March 12, 2020, 11:28:24 PM
That is the last thing contractors are going to do.
Someone at work has a fiance who works at a construction contractor.  They just announced layoffs are coming and are bringing in all employees for performance evaluations.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.