News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Speaking of overlays, here's a pretty bad one on Route 72 EB
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

abqtraveler

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 21, 2022, 07:45:35 PM
Speaking of overlays, here's a pretty bad one on Route 72 EB
The overlays are going to be removed soon, so they don't need to look pretty IMHO.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

The Ghostbuster

That exit is still signed Exit 8? I would have thought it would have been renumbered to Exit 1D by now.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 22, 2022, 02:03:10 PM
That exit is still signed Exit 8? I would have thought it would have been renumbered to Exit 1D by now.

Not much happening on CT 72 lately.  Still a couple of old gantries left east of 84 (EB 1/2 mi Exit 8/ 1 mi Exit 9; WB just before Exit 6 that has a replacement but still remains), and a couple west of 84 westbound only.  All are leftovers from the early 2000's (the last reflective button copy sign for Exit 7 EB was replaced with a full gantry which includes the sign above).  Still no mile markers either.

One thing I did notice on Route 9 SB: there are a few black tarps over the NEW EXIT signs, as well as over the number on the gore signs with new numbers.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MATraveler128

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 22, 2022, 05:06:36 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 22, 2022, 02:03:10 PM

Not much happening on CT 72 lately.  Still a couple of old gantries left east of 84 (EB 1/2 mi Exit 8/ 1 mi Exit 9; WB just before Exit 6 that has a replacement but still remains), and a couple west of 84 westbound only.  All are leftovers from the early 2000's (the last reflective button copy sign for Exit 7 EB was replaced with a full gantry which includes the sign above).  Still no mile markers either.

One thing I did notice on Route 9 SB: there are a few black tarps over the NEW EXIT signs, as well as over the number on the gore signs with new numbers.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for ConnDOT to just slap overlays over the existing numbers and have old exit signs as the ground mounts? Seems like a waste the way they're doing it.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

shadyjay

The contract plans were as follows, regarding exit numbers:

Northern (Rt 9 Ex 25-32 & all of Rt 72) and Middle (Rt 9 Ex 18-24) Contracts:
On Rt 9, the new signs were to be installed with the existing exit numbers - no mention of overlays, new exit # or old exit # signs.
On Rt 72, the new signs were to be installed with the new mileage-based exit numbers, with old exit # signs.

Sothern Contract (Rt 9 Ex 1-16/17):
On Rt 9, the new signs were to be installed with the new mileage-based exit numbers, with old exit # signs
On Rt 9, the signs installed in the other two contracts were to have their exit tabs replaced with new ones with the new mile-based #, with old exit # signs.

Obviously, somewhere along the line, something changed in the contract to have the exit tabs in the north and middle contracts built with the new mile-based numbers, and overlayed with the new #s.  We have no idea what the southern contract signs will say (the extruded signs, that is) since none of them are up yet... only a few sheet aluminums. 

There was never a mention of "NEW EXIT #" signs.  I think that has just led to confusion, and seems completely unnecessary.  It just adds another layer of confusion... so does putting up the "OLD EXIT #" signs before the new numbers are even revealed. 

And all this was supposed to be done March 2022.  So, there's that.  We still have zero new sheet aluminum signs on the northern and middle contracts on Rt 9, and only sheets on the southern contract.  Some exits still have new signs hiding behind old ones (and have been that way for a few months now).  Mile markers are still a mile off on Rt 9 South towards the south end of the contract.  And the only activity taking place as of late is the foundation installation progress for some overheads on Rt 9 South. 

I don't remember this much confusion when I-395 exits were changed... that was divided into two contracts, and when the new signs went up, they had the new #s.  Some overheads got overlays of the new #s until the structures (and signs) were replaced. 

But for now, on Route 9, we still... we continue... to wait....

MikeTheActuary

I just drove Route 9 north from I-91 to the Corbin's Corner exit.

The exit gore sign for CT 72 is showing the new exit number.  All of the exit gore signs further north appear to have ugly black overlays covering the exit number.

RobbieL2415

Would it be too much to ask for some flashing "Keep Up Speed" warning signs on I-84 EB on the hill in East Hartford?

The gas pedal is not a magic "go" button. It needs to be modulated. Stop slowing down to 50mph and hit the damn throttle.

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 02, 2022, 10:40:17 AM
Would it be too much to ask for some flashing "Keep Up Speed" warning signs on I-84 EB on the hill in East Hartford?

The gas pedal is not a magic "go" button. It needs to be modulated. Stop slowing down to 50mph and hit the damn throttle.
They don't work on the Cross Bronx, so they wouldn't work here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

While we're at it: can we PLEASE put a jersey barrier a few hundred feet before the exit gore for the I-84 West exit off of I-91 South? I am SO sick and tired of entitled people who think they're special and stay in the lane for the State Street exit to pass all the stopped traffic, then cut in at the last second on the gore itself.  I intentionally stay on the bumper of the car in front of me to not let them.

The Ghostbuster

Idiots are going to drive idiotically. It seems like everything learned in driving school goes in one ear and out the other.

Rothman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 03, 2022, 09:00:29 AM
While we're at it: can we PLEASE put a jersey barrier a few hundred feet before the exit gore for the I-84 West exit off of I-91 South? I am SO sick and tired of entitled people who think they're special and stay in the lane for the State Street exit to pass all the stopped traffic, then cut in at the last second on the gore itself.  I intentionally stay on the bumper of the car in front of me to not let them.
*cars smash into the attenuator at the end of the barrier*
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

you are one of the people i enjoy cutting off

RobbieL2415

This helps no one.

shadyjay

Route 9 update:
There are new exit gore signs from Cromwell, down to Essex, now up.  They have the new number tarped over and have a supplemental "OLD EXIT #" at the bottom.  The "OLD EXIT #" also is posted at the 1 mile (and sometimes 1/2 mile) sign locations.  This leads me to believe there won't be any "NEW EXIT #" signs posted... they just make no sense and add to the confusion (All "NEW EXIT #" signs up by I-91 are tarped over).

KCRoadFan

Here's a question I have regarding something interesting I remember from Connecticut: namely, when I visited the state back in 2004, I recall seeing a bunch of button-copy freeway exit signs, where, instead of the white square with black numbers, state routes were represented by white numbers in a square outline. I thought those signs were pretty cool when I saw them. My question is this: are any of those signs still around? I'm sure most of them are gone, but there's got to be at least a few of them still standing. If so, where might they be? I would love to see some pictures!

zzyzx

Quote from: KCRoadFan on May 05, 2022, 10:39:52 PM
Here's a question I have regarding something interesting I remember from Connecticut: namely, when I visited the state back in 2004, I recall seeing a bunch of button-copy freeway exit signs, where, instead of the white square with black numbers, state routes were represented by white numbers in a square outline. I thought those signs were pretty cool when I saw them. My question is this: are any of those signs still around? I'm sure most of them are gone, but there's got to be at least a few of them still standing. If so, where might they be? I would love to see some pictures!
On the Gold Star Bridge between New London and Groton:

iPhone

sharkyfour

Yes, there's actually quite a few of those left in the eastern half of the state at least...  US 6 Willimantic Bypass, I-384 and Route 2 come to mind for me.  I always love where there's been spot sign replacements and an exit has some signs with the full shield and others with the button copy outline.  Sometimes even 2 signs on the same support, one of each type.  I'll see if I can snap some pics next time I'm out.

sharkyfour

Quote from: zzyzx on May 05, 2022, 10:47:34 PM

iPhone

I'm pretty sure those got replaced in the last 2 years or so, either as part of the bridge project or the sign replacement project from the bridge to the RI state line.

bob7374

Quote from: sharkyfour on May 05, 2022, 10:49:10 PM
Quote from: zzyzx on May 05, 2022, 10:47:34 PM

iPhone

I'm pretty sure those got replaced in the last 2 years or so, either as part of the bridge project or the sign replacement project from the bridge to the RI state line.
All the button copy signs along the bridge on I-95 North were still there as of last November, as seen here:
https://goo.gl/maps/EYScTgsb5FShgnPBA

MATraveler128

Quote from: sharkyfour on May 05, 2022, 10:48:09 PM

Yes, there's actually quite a few of those left in the eastern half of the state at least...  US 6 Willimantic Bypass, I-384 and Route 2 come to mind for me.  I always love where there's been spot sign replacements and an exit has some signs with the full shield and others with the button copy outline.  Sometimes even 2 signs on the same support, one of each type.  I'll see if I can snap some pics next time I'm out.

I don't really think there's much button copy left in Western Connecticut besides US 7 in Norwalk. I know there's still some left on I-84 through Hartford and along CT 15 across the Charter Oak Bridge, but button copy in general is starting to disappear from the Nutmeg State. I know I-95 from New London to the Rhode Island border has seen replacement, including a new state welcome sign.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jp the roadgeek

Some of the button copy left that I can think of:

I-84 through Hartford (CT 9 to CT 2)
I-91 from Meriden north
I-95 from Guilford to Old Saybrook
I-291, I-384, I-691
US 6 Willimantic bypass
CT 2
CT 3
CT 15 (Berlin Turnpike and south of I-91)

shadyjay

Several of those routes mentioned above are in the middle of sign replacement contracts, so button copy will soon disappear from: 
I-84 through Hartford, I-691, CT 2, and CT 3. 

I-91 from Hartford north to the Mass line and I-95 in Branford and Guilford is safe for now... no projects in the immediate future.

I-95 North across the Gold Star will also lose its button copy in the near future as part of the bridge rehab project... SB already has lost it.

I have tons of button copy on my FLICKR page... just click the link in the sig and you'll be there. 

RobbieL2415

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 06, 2022, 08:52:37 AM
Some of the button copy left that I can think of:

I-84 through Hartford (CT 9 to CT 2)
I-91 from Meriden north
I-95 from Guilford to Old Saybrook
I-291, I-384, I-691
US 6 Willimantic bypass
CT 2
CT 3
CT 15 (Berlin Turnpike and south of I-91)
There are button-copy service signs on I-84 in Manchester.

The furthest east button copy in the state is likely the approach signs for the Willington rest area, and probably date to when I-84(6) was widened.

shadyjay

There is one old rest area sign WB just past Exit 70, but I don't think its button copy.  The only button copy on I-84 east of East Hartford is random exit service signs... no primary guide signs are button copy. And to the west, anything button copy is being replaced. 

CT 9, they are now working north with new exit gore signs, with "OLD EXIT #" posted below the new number, which is tarped.  Exit 2 did not get the "OLD EXIT #" placard, which kinda leads me to believe it will stay Exit 2... but we shall see.  The SB mile markers are still up... MP 2 is still posted in the vicinity of former MP 1. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.