News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

Quote from: abqtraveler on July 06, 2022, 12:08:54 PM
It's hard to see in these pictures, but are they overlaying the current exit numbers over the future ones on these signs, or do they play to overlay new exit numbers on these signs once the exit renumbering contract is let?

I don't believe there are any overlays at present time on this new signage.  As far as what the plan is for the renumbering, it will most likely be either overlays or new tabs altogether.  The CT 9 project was supposed to replace the tabs from Cromwell, north, but the more logical path was taken:  the new numbers are covered up by temporary overlays showing the old number.

Mergingtraffic

Drove in East Hartford/Manchester last night on I-84 and the old demountable copy signage is actually holding up pretty well at night after all these years. Much better than the reflective button copy on I-91. Maybe that's why they aren't being replaced yet. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 07, 2022, 01:16:18 PM
Drove in East Hartford/Manchester last night on I-84 and the old demountable copy signage is actually holding up pretty well at night after all these years. Much better than the reflective button copy on I-91. Maybe that's why they aren't being replaced yet.
Probably because they don't directly face the sun.

The ones in Vernon do, and they are worse for wear.

shadyjay

Crews were out today installing new onramp signage at Exit 3 on Route 9 (my exit).  I managed to get some shots during lunch break at Exit 2, so my guess is that they're working north.

20220707_115020 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

I have noticed on the "dual direction" signs (such as the above), the dividing line is missing (the horizontal line separating "9 NORTH" from "SOUTH 9 TO 95".  This particular example above has it.

20220707_115036 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Overall, I like the signs... the black border makes the "9" stand out.  And thank goodness ConnDOT got out of that horrible cheap sheet aluminum concept for onramp signage.  Maybe they'll learn with using sheets for exit services and go back to the "service bar" at some point.   Each project seems to take one step forward, then two steps back, so who knows. 

Mergingtraffic

Just not a fan of the thin squished font in the ramp BGSs. It's only on the ramps they do it.

I wish CT was like MA as they aren't cheap with the extruded aluminum

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: shadyjay on July 07, 2022, 05:54:02 PM
Crews were out today installing new onramp signage at Exit 3 on Route 9 (my exit).  I managed to get some shots during lunch break at Exit 2, so my guess is that they're working north.

20220707_115020 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

I have noticed on the "dual direction" signs (such as the above), the dividing line is missing (the horizontal line separating "9 NORTH" from "SOUTH 9 TO 95".  This particular example above has it.

20220707_115036 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Overall, I like the signs... the black border makes the "9" stand out.  And thank goodness ConnDOT got out of that horrible cheap sheet aluminum concept for onramp signage.  Maybe they'll learn with using sheets for exit services and go back to the "service bar" at some point.   Each project seems to take one step forward, then two steps back, so who knows.

I like the black border as well; more traditional for CT. I wonder why the state hasn't consistently brought them back.

Mergingtraffic

Black border is OK but the "9" looks funky.  Sorry, I just don't like the ramp BGSs with the narrow font of the words and then the whole "9" thing.

Although I am happy the extruded aluminum signs are back at the ramps.

One thing CT lacks is extruded aluminum warning type signs. Barely a mention of stoplights on CT-9 and I could see "Caution Expect Stopped Ramp Traffic" or a large curve sign in various spots. Or but the ramp suggested speed on the exit now signs on ramps with type curves.

RobbieL2415

CT has never really done custom warning signs like that.

The only instance I've ever heard of them doing it was for the West Rock Tunnel, which had (usually covered) extruded aluminum warning signs with flashers that read, "CAUTION ICE CONDITIONS IN TUNNEL"

There are the staple "STOP AHEAD" flashing signs on each end of the approach to the signals in Middletown.

RyanB06

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 09, 2022, 03:33:51 PM
Black border is OK but the "9" looks funky.  Sorry, I just don't like the ramp BGSs with the narrow font of the words and then the whole "9" thing.

Although I am happy the extruded aluminum signs are back at the ramps.

One thing CT lacks is extruded aluminum warning type signs. Barely a mention of stoplights on CT-9 and I could see "Caution Expect Stopped Ramp Traffic" or a large curve sign in various spots. Or but the ramp suggested speed on the exit now signs on ramps with type curves.
The "9" is funky...it's Series C instead of Series D.

I also can't get used to the Series D text on the place names. That lowercase "w" just BUGS me.

shadyjay

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 09, 2022, 05:17:01 PM

The only instance I've ever heard of them doing it was for the West Rock Tunnel, which had (usually covered) extruded aluminum warning signs with flashers that read, "CAUTION ICE CONDITIONS IN TUNNEL"

There are the staple "STOP AHEAD" flashing signs on each end of the approach to the signals in Middletown.

Really the only extruded warning signs CT has used are "EXPRESSWAY ENDS".  Many of these are becoming sheet aluminums. 

The Ice Conditions sign I believe was sheet aluminum.  I don't think its there anymore... drove through there last weekend and didn't notice. 

The warning for the lights in Middletown is disgusting.  Northbound, you get one "signal ahead" sign in the left lane only on the curve near the Rt 17 NB onramp NB and a "Congested Area" diamond before that.  Southbound, you get a 1 mile "signal ahead" sign, which is badly faded, and the old fashioned "STOP AHEAD" flashing sign that is right under the Arrigoni... way too late to even notice.  But you're right... CT should use "EXPECT STOPPED TRAFFIC AHEAD" extruded approaching the Middletown lights for a mile in each direction. 

But perhaps what's more disgusting is that the lights ARE STILL THERE when the rest of the highway went limited-access some 50+ years ago!   

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on July 09, 2022, 07:55:13 PM

Really the only extruded warning signs CT has used are "EXPRESSWAY ENDS".  Many of these are becoming sheet aluminums. 

The Ice Conditions sign I believe was sheet aluminum.  I don't think its there anymore... drove through there last weekend and didn't notice. 

The warning for the lights in Middletown is disgusting.  Northbound, you get one "signal ahead" sign in the left lane only on the curve near the Rt 17 NB onramp NB and a "Congested Area" diamond before that.  Southbound, you get a 1 mile "signal ahead" sign, which is badly faded, and the old fashioned "STOP AHEAD" flashing sign that is right under the Arrigoni... way too late to even notice.  But you're right... CT should use "EXPECT STOPPED TRAFFIC AHEAD" extruded approaching the Middletown lights for a mile in each direction. 

But perhaps what's more disgusting is that the lights ARE STILL THERE when the rest of the highway went limited-access some 50+ years ago!   

But CT has excess speed limit and crosswalk signs! More so with the speed limit signs.

bluecountry

Quote from: shadyjay on July 05, 2022, 05:43:05 PM
I drove the length of the CT 8 resigning project on Sunday from Derby to Bridgeport and then north again to the Merritt.  Looks like the project is "largely completed"... there are a few overheads that retain button copy and were not replaced as part of the project ("NIC - Parapet").  These may get replaced as part of a later bridge project, or as part of the "cleanup" project which will take care of exit renumbering, to go out to bid later this summer.  Also, a couple spot replacements have not been changed out yet with their newer "simplified" destinations. 

Here's a couple samples:

CT8SB-Exit10-3 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

CT8SB-Exit03-2 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

CT8NB-Exit05-2 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Note how in the last one, there are supports to hold a future "LEFT EXIT #" tab. 

Rest of the photos can be found here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/with/52191034142/

Elsewhere...

The CT 9 signing project is finally starting to put up some onramp signage.  Thank god it's of the extruded variety, and it features a black border around the "9" shield.  I didn't get a picture, but it looks pretty good.  New supports are up from Middletown south to Exit 2. 

Finally....

The sheet aluminum project that added new speed limits, reassurance shields, enhanced mile markers, and other sheets statewide has added a ramp sign where there is no longer a ramp...
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3680218,-72.1565384,3a,75y,290.24h,75.07t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sPC_yR1jQ9aWy0KqhzVUZBA!2e0!5s20190801T000000!7i16384!8i8192

This is the location of the former I-95 SB weigh station near Exit 81 in Waterford.  The ramp access has been removed, as seen in the street view, yet the contractor has put up a new "WEIGH STATION ->" sign.  Its possible whoever drew up the plans for the "sheets" (or whoever imputed them into GIS or however they're doing it now) didn't know the weigh station had been abandoned.  Still, putting up a sign to nowhere seems pretty dangerous to me, especially to truckers who have to stop at weigh stations.  This is a perfect case of a contractor just going by the book, vs what there is in reality.  Next time I head out that way I'll get a photo.

OMG, that first photo, my Grandparents house I visited all the time as a child was to the right hidden by the vegetation.
My Grandparents got the house at the auction held by the state after they toke possession by eminent domain of the then enormous backyard to build route 8.

Question...why did they do the re-signing without milage based exits?
Also, why does CT sign directions as NY City where others do not?

MATraveler128

Quote from: bluecountry on July 11, 2022, 07:15:44 AM
OMG, that first photo, my Grandparents house I visited all the time as a child was to the right hidden by the vegetation.
My Grandparents got the house at the auction held by the state after they toke possession by eminent domain of the then enormous backyard to build route 8.

Question...why did they do the re-signing without milage based exits?
Also, why does CT sign directions as NY City where others do not?

I think they're waiting until all the signs along CT 8 are replaced to do a full mileage based conversion, not just Derby to Bridgeport. This seems to be CTDOT's policy. Since the signs in Waterbury were recently replaced, this should be happening soon. Although I have to wonder if they'll put overlays over the existing signs or if they'll put up new signs with the new number on them like what they did for CT 9.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 10, 2022, 11:54:53 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on July 09, 2022, 07:55:13 PM

But CT has excess speed limit and crosswalk signs! More so with the speed limit signs.
I don't know how they think more WRONG WAY signs are going to prevent wrong way crashes.

Fleeting thought: maybe put in video-detection-enabled spike strips at off-ramps?

kurumi

Patch.com has a Vernon police file photo of CT 15 at Bolton Road in 1949: https://patch.com/connecticut/vernon/picture-vernon-road-highway

This is where I-84 crosses Bolton Road (SR 541) today. The "Super 2" section of the Wilbur Cross Highway (CT 15) had opened by then.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Alps

Quote from: kurumi on July 12, 2022, 12:41:34 AM
Patch.com has a Vernon police file photo of CT 15 at Bolton Road in 1949: https://patch.com/connecticut/vernon/picture-vernon-road-highway

This is where I-84 crosses Bolton Road (SR 541) today. The "Super 2" section of the Wilbur Cross Highway (CT 15) had opened by then.
Wouldn't call a road with at-grade intersections a Super 2. It's just an expressway.

yakra

Quote from: Alps on July 12, 2022, 05:59:27 PM
Wouldn't call a road with at-grade intersections a Super 2. It's just an expressway.
I wouldn't call a 2-lane road with at-grade intersections an expressway. :D
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Alps

Quote from: yakra on July 13, 2022, 10:23:05 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 12, 2022, 05:59:27 PM
I wouldn't call a 2-lane road with at-grade intersections an expressway. :D
Technically that's exactly what it is as long as it lacks driveways.

shadyjay

CT 9 resigning project update:

Drove the length of CT 9 yesterday.  The middle and northern contracts continue to show zero progress in the past 2 months.  No new overheads.  No sheet metal replacements yet.  No enhanced mile markers yet.  Nothing.

The southern contract, however, has seen some signs of life.  Earlier in the month, crews began installing more on-ramp guide signs.  The new onramp signs, which I linked to earlier, are up at [old/existing] Exits 2, 3, 4, and 5.  Earlier in the month, new onramp signs were seen at Exit 11.  Nothing yet for Exits 6-10. 

And southbound at [existing] Exit 10, we have some new primary guide signs up:
CT9SB-Exit10-2-new by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Note how the old sign is completely removed, "Higganum" no longer appears", and the new exit number remains hidden.  Also, signs in this contract will apparently have the thick black border around the shield, and 3 digit state routes get a proper width shield.  The middle and northern contracts have no border and use the 2-digit shield even for 3-digit route numbers. 

In addition, the new Exit 10 1/2 mile sign is up, with the old sign still in place for now.  Northbound, for Exit 7, a new extruded secondary sign for "Moodus" is up, but all it says is "Moodus"... no exit tab installed yet. 

RobbieL2415

I got downvoted in r/Connecticut for correctly pointing out the minimum speed on limited access highways is 40 and not 45.

bob7374

CTDOT has posted the CT 8 Exit Renumbering and Sign Replacement contract to the CTsource Bid Board. The Solicitation # is 0015-0381. The sign plans are in the zipped 0015-0381 Contract Plans file, exit renumbering plans are in the file 12_ EXITRENUMBER while new sign plans are under 03_TRAFFIC. The URL for the Bid Board is:
https://portal.ct.gov/DAS/CTSource/BidBoard

Some preliminary observations: The new CT 25 Left Exit number is 3. I-95 ramps will now be numbered 1A and 1B, the previous Exit 1 South End exit will now be 1C. The CT 15 South Merritt Parkway exit will be Exit 6. I-84 will be Exits 30 A and 30 C NB (only the NB plans show the new exit numbers). Exits 38-40 will not change. There will be no exit number given to the last exit and the blank exit tabs at the US 44/CT 8/CT 183 exit at the end of the freeway will be removed.

jp the roadgeek

I'm surprised they're not making like Route 9 and fudging some of the numbers through Naugatuck and Waterbury.  They have them going 25A (CT 63), 25B (Naugatuck), 26 (CT 68), 27 (S Main St), and 29 (S Leonard St).  Wonder why 25B, 26, and 27 weren't fudged up one to utilize 28. Same with Waterbury.  Why not fudge CT 73 up to 32 and Huntingdon Ave up to 33 to avoid an alphabet city? Here's how it should look

Exit 30 A-B I-84 (get rid of the number in between; it's for the same highway)
Exit 31: Downtown Waterbury (NB) Riverside St (SB) (keeps the 84 exits together as a single #)
Exit 32: CT 73 (NB), W Main St (SB) (avoids using a D suffix)
Exit 33: Huntingdon Ave

The inconsistency of CTDOT is amazing.  And it is totally bat guano crazy to put a TO 63 on Cross St SB when you just passed the exit for CT 63.  Wonder what genius in the Department of Redundancy Department thought that was a good idea (but not marking the Brainard Rd exit as an alternate to 91 South was not)?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 20, 2022, 02:57:43 PM
The inconsistency of CTDOT is amazing.  And it is totally bat guano crazy to put a TO 63 on Cross St SB when you just passed the exit for CT 63.  Wonder what genius in the Department of Redundancy Department thought that was a good idea (but not marking the Brainard Rd exit as an alternate to 91 South was not)?

I wonder if the Cross St SB sign with the "TO 63" was originally intended for NB??? B/c NB it'll make sense as people use Cross St to cut to 63.  SB they don't b/c its outof the way especially since you just passed 63.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 20, 2022, 04:23:38 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 20, 2022, 02:57:43 PM

I wonder if the Cross St SB sign with the "TO 63" was originally intended for NB??? B/c NB it'll make sense as people use Cross St to cut to 63.  SB they don't b/c its outof the way especially since you just passed 63.
I think the intent is for traffic going from Rt 8 SB to Rt 63 SB to use Cross Street as an alternate route to bypass the urban stretch of Route 63 between its interchange with Route 8 and Cross Street.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.