News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

What is it with CT and placing traffic lights on freeway/freeway interchanges?  Them and PA...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

shadyjay

I hope everyone here knows that was a joke plan I made... check the dates.  That's not really a ConnDOT proposal.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on October 20, 2022, 05:31:32 PM
I look at the I-395/CT 2-32 interchange and think "wow.. a free flowing cloverleaf interchange".  They're not that common in CT, while our neighbor to the north loves cloverleafs (a little too much, two interstates shouldn't connect with a cloverleaf). 

But, be careful what you wish for.  ConnDOT logic would overhaul the I-395/CT 2 interchange by removing a loop ramp and adding traffic lights, kinda like what they're proposing for the Merritt/US 7 in Norwalk. 

**UPDATE**

Wow, when you're right, you're right!  ConnDOT has just released its plans for improvements to the I-395/CT 2 interchange.  The contract is set to be released 4/1/2023 and work will be completed by 4/1/26. 
Here's a screenshot of what the interchange will look like:
norwich395-2 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr]
Basically, the two northern loops are converted to fill in the missing movements the interchange currently lacks (2W->395N and 395S->2W).  The loss of the ramps (395N->2W and 2W->395S) is the reason for the two new traffic signals. 

:popcorn:
:D :D :D

Where'd you see that? I can't find any info.

SO they remove lights from one highway (CT-9) and add them to others.  lol  No consistency ever except to impede traffic flow.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

shadyjay

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 22, 2022, 05:35:20 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on October 20, 2022, 05:31:32 PM
I look at the I-395/CT 2-32 interchange and think "wow.. a free flowing cloverleaf interchange".  They're not that common in CT, while our neighbor to the north loves cloverleafs (a little too much, two interstates shouldn't connect with a cloverleaf). 

But, be careful what you wish for.  ConnDOT logic would overhaul the I-395/CT 2 interchange by removing a loop ramp and adding traffic lights, kinda like what they're proposing for the Merritt/US 7 in Norwalk. 

**UPDATE**

Wow, when you're right, you're right!  ConnDOT has just released its plans for improvements to the I-395/CT 2 interchange.  The contract is set to be released 4/1/2023 and work will be completed by 4/1/26. 
Here's a screenshot of what the interchange will look like:
norwich395-2 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr]
Basically, the two northern loops are converted to fill in the missing movements the interchange currently lacks (2W->395N and 395S->2W).  The loss of the ramps (395N->2W and 2W->395S) is the reason for the two new traffic signals. 

:popcorn:
:D :D :D

Where'd you see that? I can't find any info.

SO they remove lights from one highway (CT-9) and add them to others.  lol  No consistency ever except to impede traffic flow.

This was a design idea I threw together, knowing that ConnDOT likes to get rid of chanelizations and free flowing movements, and knowing that one of the proposals for the CT 15/US 7 interchange in Norwalk involves adding lights, I thought "oh god, what if that idea spread?" .  It's not really a proposal. 

And the lights on CT 9 aren't removed yet.  The last public info meeting that was online was for the Rt 17 North onramp lengthening project and they specifically said that project has nothing to do with getting rid of the traffic lights further up on Rt 9.  The ConnDOT officials in that meeting stated there would be yet another proposal issued with the next round of public hearings, early in 2023. 

Rothman

And that is why he is called shadyjay.  Never believe him again.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MikeCL

Quote from: connroadgeek on October 21, 2022, 08:15:28 PM
New VMSs up just before exit 5 in Greenwich both directions. Why does CT use such crappy old school VMSs compared to NY?
Ah man I kept forgetting to post this.. Why did they take the one down going NB at the weigh station.. I had to complain a lot of times to the DOT at night the lights never worked so you could never read the sign sign since it was the flip dot florescent type.. I remember one day for the first time in years I saw the lights work.. next thing I knew they took it down and put that crappy mobile unit down in a fixed setting.. It's stupid because it's not even tall enough...

But So all that digging it looks like that's what they were doing making the bases for the VMS.. It's funny because I always thought it was odd.. the Weigh station and the US 1 bridge in Stamford was all you got.. if you got on before then you never knew what was going on.

BTW looks like the one is coming off the bridge for exit 9 it's just a matter of time.

connroadgeek

Quote from: MikeCL on October 26, 2022, 05:35:23 PM
New VMSs up just before exit 5 in Greenwich both directions. Why does CT use such crappy old school VMSs compared to NY?
Ah man I kept forgetting to post this.. Why did they take the one down going NB at the weigh station.. I had to complain a lot of times to the DOT at night the lights never worked so you could never read the sign sign since it was the flip dot florescent type.. I remember one day for the first time in years I saw the lights work.. next thing I knew they took it down and put that crappy mobile unit down in a fixed setting.. It's stupid because it's not even tall enough...

But So all that digging it looks like that's what they were doing making the bases for the VMS.. It's funny because I always thought it was odd.. the Weigh station and the US 1 bridge in Stamford was all you got.. if you got on before then you never knew what was going on.

BTW looks like the one is coming off the bridge for exit 9 it's just a matter of time.
Maybe this one before exit 5 will replace the one at exit 9 just like the weather station at exit 4 just south of that new VMS replaced the old weather station at exit 9 when they did the bridge replacement.

MikeCL

Quote from: connroadgeek on October 26, 2022, 09:22:41 PM

Maybe this one before exit 5 will replace the one at exit 9 just like the weather station at exit 4 just south of that new VMS replaced the old weather station at exit 9 when they did the bridge replacement.
Yeah maybe, looks like CT is doing away with VMS mounted on bridges now.. at least this one should be good.. not sure what was up but sometimes the VMS at exit 9 would get very garbled. I think that one was dual or Tri color?

RobbieL2415

Still better than the old front-lit, vane-style displays. The ones with green text.
Sadly, I can't find any pictures of them.

abqtraveler

Quote from: MikeCL on October 27, 2022, 02:41:54 AM
Quote from: connroadgeek on October 26, 2022, 09:22:41 PM

Yeah maybe, looks like CT is doing away with VMS mounted on bridges now.. at least this one should be good.. not sure what was up but sometimes the VMS at exit 9 would get very garbled. I think that one was dual or Tri color?
Connecticut has been getting rid of a lot if bridge-mounted signage lately, not just VMSs, but all types of signs they've been moving from bridges to standalone structures. Even the little signs that indicate the cross road that used to be mounted to the bridge are being replaced with ground-mounted signs.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

MikeCL

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on October 27, 2022, 10:25:04 AM

Still better than the old front-lit, vane-style displays. The ones with green text.
The one that used to be mounted on the bridge in Darien that they took down like 5-7 years ago?

I looked at the DOT website I didn't see anything about Greenwich.. is this the one for the weigh station? Or the one right after the Mianus bridge?

https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/CTDOT-Construction-Advisories/2021/Replacement-and-Relocation-of-VMS-on-I-95-and-Route-7-in-Greenwich-Stamford-Norwalk-and-Westport

I didn't know you could check to see how much solar a rest stop was generating this is Darien, SB

https://apps.alsoenergy.com/kiosk/35240?dashkey=2a566973506557764541554b772b71553d&tag=626264

RobbieL2415

Quote from: MikeCL on October 27, 2022, 03:34:28 PM

The one that used to be mounted on the bridge in Darien that they took down like 5-7 years ago?

I looked at the DOT website I didn't see anything about Greenwich.. is this the one for the weigh station? Or the one right after the Mianus bridge?

https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/CTDOT-Construction-Advisories/2021/Replacement-and-Relocation-of-VMS-on-I-95-and-Route-7-in-Greenwich-Stamford-Norwalk-and-Westport

I didn't know you could check to see how much solar a rest stop was generating this is Darien, SB

https://apps.alsoenergy.com/kiosk/35240?dashkey=2a566973506557764541554b772b71553d&tag=626264
No, these were different. They had slanted plexiglass on the front of them and were front-lit. The display was electro-mechanical. Kinda like a Sloari board, but instead of flipping letters it used little pegs that were green on one side.

abqtraveler

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on October 27, 2022, 06:30:38 PM

No, these were different. They had slanted plexiglass on the front of them and were front-lit. The display was electro-mechanical. Kinda like a Sloari board, but instead of flipping letters it used little pegs that were green on one side.
I remember those. Those old VMSs were part of the first generation of ITS technology that was installed along I-95 between Greenwich and Clinton back in the early '90s. They are long overdue for an upgrade.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

RobbieL2415

Quote from: abqtraveler on October 27, 2022, 07:00:51 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on October 27, 2022, 06:30:38 PM

I remember those. Those old VMSs were part of the first generation of ITS technology that was installed along I-95 between Greenwich and Clinton back in the early '90s. They are long overdue for an upgrade.
They are called flip disc displays.
The one that I remember was located on I-91 NB at the on-ramp from Great Meadow Rd. in Wethersfield.

MikeCL

I always thought it was pretty cool but always had a few that failed to work.. Looks like the VMS NB between 13 & 14 is getting replaced as well.. I guess it's safe to say they are getting rid of all the muti-color VMS?

BTW I'm really curious how they are going to do the bridge replacement over the MNR tracks in Stamford.

shadyjay

Drove I-95 North today and saw the VMSs being replaced.  Looks like they'll all be this style (95NB in Madison just as an example):

95NB-VMS by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

This is the standard VMS now (3rd generation?) though there are some on I-84 and I-91 that are much wider and are used to display three different destinations with current travel times....
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6985127,-72.6438599,3a,25.6y,12.55h,89.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8KfXRI1XDIwnHPcCdNucjw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Then there's this oddball on I-91 NB just past Exit 33.  The whole gantry was put up for the sole purpose of holding the VMS.  Makes you wonder if they meant to put up the wider version, since it seems like overkill for the smaller VMS. 
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7900382,-72.6558273,3a,75y,30.55h,97.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szWWrcwWpCrPen0K0tp8w7w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

shadyjay

MikeCL

Another view

https://maps.app.goo.gl/S78HX5DUvJWABqD78?g_st=ic

However I think those are the flip dot displays the  vane style looks like the older VFD numbers display?

Btw why on earth did they take down that over the road VMS only to put in a fixed mobile VMS which is harder to see?

abqtraveler

Quote from: MikeCL on October 28, 2022, 03:08:34 PM
I always thought it was pretty cool but always had a few that failed to work.. Looks like the VMS NB between 13 & 14 is getting replaced as well.. I guess it's safe to say they are getting rid of all the muti-color VMS?

BTW I'm really curious how they are going to do the bridge replacement over the MNR tracks in Stamford.
I think they are also updating/replacing some of the cameras along I-95 as well, given that the cameras were installed nearly 30 years ago along with the first generation "flip-disc" VMSs. 

DrSmith

Quote from: shadyjay on October 30, 2022, 09:19:20 PM
Drove I-95 North today and saw the VMSs being replaced.  Looks like they'll all be this style (95NB in Madison just as an example):

95NB-VMS by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

This is the standard VMS now (3rd generation?) though there are some on I-84 and I-91 that are much wider and are used to display three different destinations with current travel times....
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6985127,-72.6438599,3a,25.6y,12.55h,89.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8KfXRI1XDIwnHPcCdNucjw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Then there's this oddball on I-91 NB just past Exit 33.  The whole gantry was put up for the sole purpose of holding the VMS.  Makes you wonder if they meant to put up the wider version, since it seems like overkill for the smaller VMS. 
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7900382,-72.6558273,3a,75y,30.55h,97.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szWWrcwWpCrPen0K0tp8w7w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

They've been using that style for many years now. That is the style that was used for the ones that were added in Enfield over 10 years ago now.

There is one (or a few?) mounted on top of a post in Waterbury. https://goo.gl/maps/GRF3Fsb4n33dWNRb6

As for the one I-91 northbound after Jennings Rd, I think the full span was to get the VMS over towards the through lanes. Between a slight curve and being located at the on ramp, a cantilever would have been too far to the right. Also I feel like all of that set in Hartford were installed either on bridges or on full span gantry; it's that most of them either had the larger style VMS and/or had other signs located on that structure as well.

RobbieL2415

connroadgeek

Quote from: MikeCL on October 30, 2022, 09:40:42 PM
Another view

https://maps.app.goo.gl/S78HX5DUvJWABqD78?g_st=ic

However I think those are the flip dot displays the  vane style looks like the older VFD numbers display?

Btw why on earth did they take down that over the road VMS only to put in a fixed mobile VMS which is harder to see?
That one is finally getting replaced. You can see the new pole northbound between the state line and exit 2.

Mergingtraffic

Btw, what's with the odd setup with the truck weighing area!?!?! Trucks pull off and then have to circle back before they get on the highway.  Any other state would have them drive just straight through without the loop.  The extra-long on-ramp creates issues as because of the horrible design trucks need that long on-ramp to get up to speed. Regular drivers use the on-ramp to bypass backups.  I think well if the truck weigh station wasn't designed badly they wouldn't need that long on-ramp.

The same with some rest areas.  Cars pass the parking exit and then get to the entrance.  So you have to do a loop around.  Typical bad CT design.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Meriden,+CT/@41.5530457,-72.7432094,249m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x89e7ca2124b4cab7:0xf8fbded56523558a!8m2!3d41.5381535!4d-72.8070435!16zL20vMDFtMjJu
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on November 05, 2022, 05:07:49 PM
Btw, what's with the odd setup with the truck weighing area!?!?! Trucks pull off and then have to circle back before they get on the highway.  Any other state would have them drive just straight through without the loop.  The extra-long on-ramp creates issues as because of the horrible design trucks need that long on-ramp to get up to speed. Regular drivers use the on-ramp to bypass backups.  I think well if the truck weigh station wasn't designed badly they wouldn't need that long on-ramp.

The same with some rest areas.  Cars pass the parking exit and then get to the entrance.  So you have to do a loop around.  Typical bad CT design.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Meriden,+CT/@41.5530457,-72.7432094,249m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x89e7ca2124b4cab7:0xf8fbded56523558a!8m2!3d41.5381535!4d-72.8070435!16zL20vMDFtMjJu

I think Connecticut likes to multitask. Its eastbound I-84 welcome center is also an exit.

connroadgeek

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on November 08, 2022, 01:35:26 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on November 05, 2022, 05:07:49 PM

I think Connecticut likes to multitask. Its eastbound I-84 welcome center is also an exit.
Exit 22 northbound on 95 as well - It's the Round Hill Rd and Rest Area exit all in one!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.