News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: abqtraveler on June 11, 2023, 10:20:14 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on June 11, 2023, 05:24:59 PM
Drove I-691 West today... caught some of the new signs that are up:

MP 0.0:
DSC04306 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

I'm guessing this was meant to be put up EB... as this exit indirectly accesses CT 71 via Lewis Ave:
DSC04307 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

New Exit 5 (former Exit 4)... the overhead has yet to come down:
DSC04308 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Saw a couple new signs EB (including the god-aweful change of former Exit 7 to "Meriden" and former Exit 8 to "US 5/Downtown Meriden".  Didn't get pics, as I ended up returning via an alternate route to avoid most of I-84. 

The surface of I-691 is still very very rough.... I thought that project would've been done by now, or at least the first coat of new asphalt down... but no.
Once again you can see the inconsistency with the state highway shields from one sign replacement project to the next. CTDOT needs to settle on a standard design for the state highway shield and stop flip-flopping between the thick black border, thin black border, and no border.

I prefer the thick black border, but wonder why there is so much inconsistency.

abqtraveler

The surface of I-691 is still very very rough.... I thought that project would've been done by now, or at least the first coat of new asphalt down... but no.
They did this on I-84 through Newtown a couple of years ago, but I don't get why CTDOT is now placing a new overlay of asphalt, then cutting out and refilling the damaged concrete sections.

Previously, CTDOT would mill out all of the old asphalt down to the underlying concrete surface, then make repairs to the concrete before placing new asphalt. Seems like a waste to place new asphalt then cut out and replace concrete sections and place more asphalt on top of that.

2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

SectorZ

Regarding the 691 posts above, why does CT use Helvetica for some 3DI shields? Happens to 384 on signs on 84 E/B as well.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: SectorZ on June 12, 2023, 10:08:56 AM
Regarding the 691 posts above, why does CT use Helvetica for some 3DI shields? Happens to 384 on signs on 84 E/B as well.

Must've been a late 80's thing.  Both highways were signed as such between 1984 and 1988.  Plus the Helvetica shields are state shields, which is rare to see on a BGS in CT.  Just be thankful CTDOT shunned Clearview and relegated it to street blades only.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

abqtraveler

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 12, 2023, 11:06:07 AM

Must've been a late 80's thing.  Both highways were signed as such between 1984 and 1988.  Plus the Helvetica shields are state shields, which is rare to see on a BGS in CT.  Just be thankful CTDOT shunned Clearview and relegated it to street blades only.
They used some weird fonts on highway signage in CT in the late 80s and 90s.  The exit signs on Route 8 through The Valley used some really strange font that was far from anything standard, but those sings are long gone. The one on Route 8 NB at Exit 18 was still there as recently as August 2017.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3373521,-73.0921788,3a,75y,333.29h,78.56t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s-kRhXxWcjH8wrBCccErWqA!2e0!5s20170801T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

RyanB06

Quote from: abqtraveler on June 12, 2023, 12:21:05 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 12, 2023, 11:06:07 AM

They used some weird fonts on highway signage in CT in the late 80s and 90s.  The exit signs on Route 8 through The Valley used some really strange font that was far from anything standard, but those sings are long gone. The one on Route 8 NB at Exit 18 was still there as recently as August 2017.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3373521,-73.0921788,3a,75y,333.29h,78.56t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s-kRhXxWcjH8wrBCccErWqA!2e0!5s20170801T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu
That's definitely more Helvetica. There is a similar sign on I-691 East at the Route 322 exit (probably isn't there anymore after the renumbering...meh).

Ted$8roadFan

The 80s and 90s appear to be the last time that the state actually cared about improving its road infrastructure.

Alps

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 12, 2023, 07:26:32 AM
Quote from: abqtraveler on June 11, 2023, 10:20:14 PM
Once again you can see the inconsistency with the state highway shields from one sign replacement project to the next. CTDOT needs to settle on a standard design for the state highway shield and stop flip-flopping between the thick black border, thin black border, and no border.

I prefer the thick black border, but wonder why there is so much inconsistency.
On a standalone shield, I also prefer the thick black border. On a guide sign you can't do that - green is a dark color so has to directly border white to meet the MUTCD. In which case I would just want to see a white square. No thin black borders - this is Connecticut, not mAss.

Mergingtraffic

Another I-691 replacement. The exit does take you directly to Preston Ave.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jp the roadgeek

I get it: they're trying to match the westbound exit, in which the ramp itself becomes East Main St.  But the bulk of eastbound traffic for East Main would have exited at 1B (old 10) and taken CT 15 Exit 67W to get to East Main.  The only portion of East Main this exit would best serve would be the area east of Research Parkway, which is less densely populated with retail establishments (the Wonder store is long gone but Huxley's is still there).  My thoughts: 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: abqtraveler on June 12, 2023, 09:35:59 AM

They did this on I-84 through Newtown a couple of years ago, but I don't get why CTDOT is now placing a new overlay of asphalt, then cutting out and refilling the damaged concrete sections.

Previously, CTDOT would mill out all of the old asphalt down to the underlying concrete surface, then make repairs to the concrete before placing new asphalt. Seems like a waste to place new asphalt then cut out and replace concrete sections and place more asphalt on top of that.
They are still doing this. They did it for the I-91 Exit 29 project. They're doing it for the CT 2 East Hartford rehab and for the I-84 WeHa rehab/aux lane add.
I wonder if it costs them less to do it like it is on I-691.

zzyzx

The new work zone speed cameras are catching thousands of drivers violating the speed limit.

According to https://i-95eastlyme.com/, CTDOT has issued over 1,500 speed violations per day along Exit 74 along I-95 in East Lyme:

QuoteBeginning on June 5th, the Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) implemented speed safety cameras in East Lyme. The system uses radar to identify vehicles traveling 15 mph or above the posted work zone speed limit. Cameras then capture a series of images of these vehicles, with the rear license plates used to identify registered owners.  If the information captured by the speed safety systems is determined to be accurate, a warning or citations will be mailed to the registered owners of the vehicle captured by the systems. First offenses will result in a written warning with no fine. Second offenses will result in a $75 fine, and every offense after that will result in a $150 fine.

Since this pilot program has begun in East Lyme, CTDOT has issued over 1,500 speed violations per day. Our Smart Work Zone cameras also monitor speed - those averages fluctuate from 65 mph - 80 mph through the work zone when the speed should be 50 mph. Please pay attention to the speed limit signs.

We are encouraging all who drive on Connecticut roadways to know the zone by being aware of work zones and how to travel through them safely. At first sight of orange, drivers should be more alert, slow down, and follow posted speed limits and work zone instructions. Drivers also need to be aware of emergency responders on the roadway and follow the state's Move Over Law. When approaching emergency responders, drivers must slow down and change lanes. 

The program has issued many tickets this past week. For the safety of everyone, please SLOW DOWN FOR WORK ZONES.

Also, the website has new renderings and aerial photos of the construction progress as of May: https://i-95eastlyme.com/the-project/completed-project-visual-sliders

zzcarp

Quote from: zzyzx on June 14, 2023, 05:18:35 PM
The new work zone speed cameras are catching thousands of drivers violating the speed limit.

According to https://i-95eastlyme.com/, CTDOT has issued over 1,500 speed violations per day along Exit 74 along I-95 in East Lyme:

QuoteBeginning on June 5th, the Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) implemented speed safety cameras in East Lyme. The system uses radar to identify vehicles traveling 15 mph or above the posted work zone speed limit. Cameras then capture a series of images of these vehicles, with the rear license plates used to identify registered owners.  If the information captured by the speed safety systems is determined to be accurate, a warning or citations will be mailed to the registered owners of the vehicle captured by the systems. First offenses will result in a written warning with no fine. Second offenses will result in a $75 fine, and every offense after that will result in a $150 fine.

Since this pilot program has begun in East Lyme, CTDOT has issued over 1,500 speed violations per day. Our Smart Work Zone cameras also monitor speed - those averages fluctuate from 65 mph - 80 mph through the work zone when the speed should be 50 mph. Please pay attention to the speed limit signs.

We are encouraging all who drive on Connecticut roadways to know the zone by being aware of work zones and how to travel through them safely. At first sight of orange, drivers should be more alert, slow down, and follow posted speed limits and work zone instructions. Drivers also need to be aware of emergency responders on the roadway and follow the state's Move Over Law. When approaching emergency responders, drivers must slow down and change lanes. 

The program has issued many tickets this past week. For the safety of everyone, please SLOW DOWN FOR WORK ZONES.

Also, the website has new renderings and aerial photos of the construction progress as of May: https://i-95eastlyme.com/the-project/completed-project-visual-sliders

When this happens, I wonder if the 50mph limit is posted too low. Seems like 55 or 60 may be appropriate or possibly even 65 if people are able to go as fast as an 80 mph average.
So many miles and so many roads

jp the roadgeek

It's time for another edition of Spot the Differences:

shadyjay

Quote from: zzcarp on June 15, 2023, 11:31:46 AM

When this happens, I wonder if the 50mph limit is posted too low. Seems like 55 or 60 may be appropriate or possibly even 65 if people are able to go as fast as an 80 mph average.

Its a work zone.  People are just going way too fast.  Always have through that stretch of I-95.  I drove through there last week and slowed down to 55 with cars riding my ass and flying past me... and this was at 7am. 

Maybe some rumble strips would help that go across the pavement, like some states did approaching toll plazas.

Rothman

Quote from: shadyjay on June 15, 2023, 04:40:46 PM

Its a work zone.  People are just going way too fast.  Always have through that stretch of I-95.  I drove through there last week and slowed down to 55 with cars riding my ass and flying past me... and this was at 7am. 

Maybe some rumble strips would help that go across the pavement, like some states did approaching toll plazas.

Photo enforcement...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

zzcarp

Quote from: shadyjay on June 15, 2023, 04:40:46 PM

I get that it's a work zone. But you proved my point. It's posted at 50 in this work zone. I assume you were driving safely; it's possible the cars flying past you may have been driving safely as well. Yet you were speeding at 55. So it seems the zone should be posted at least at 55, possibly faster.
So many miles and so many roads

Mergingtraffic

I-691 EB Exit 2B (Old Exit 7), Downtown Meriden is just Meriden now. Notice, this sign isn't even demountable copy, it's adhesive now.

The new signs overall seem pretty well designed.  The ramp signs have huge I-691 numbers like they did in the early 2000s. Even though, CT-322 has a thin black border, design wise it looks pretty good.

I did notice some dates, so the original demountable copy signs on I-691 between I-84 and Exit 4 have a date on them of 1985.  That surprised me as CT was def doing reflective button copy by that time.  Even as early as 1984 according to the date on the CT-78 gore sign on CT-2 which is button copy.

Other demountable copy signs were on CT-25 with dates of 1981 or 1982 on the back.

I'm guessing the I-691 signs just took that long to put up as the expressway didn't open until 1987-1988 or so?
The section between I-84 and Exit 4 used to be concrete until recently as well.

I also noticed, they're replacing the Amtrak BGS that was just installed just before Covid.  And, whatever happened to the BYS on CT-66 that said "EXPRESSWAY AHEAD?"  It's been gone for awhile now.

RyanB06

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 15, 2023, 04:09:29 PM

So they bagged one section of Southington for another one further away. At least they didn't substitute "Southington" for "Milldale" outright.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RyanB06 on June 15, 2023, 06:58:59 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 15, 2023, 04:09:29 PM

So they bagged one section of Southington for another one further away. At least they didn't substitute "Southington" for "Milldale" outright.

Well, then they'd have to do "Downtown Southington"  like they did EB for Meriden and Downtown Meriden because they already used Southington at Exit 5. :)

Milldale was used more for the convenience of truckers, since there are many warehouses in the area truckers frequent, as well as the TA Truck stop on CT 322 which refers to itself being in Milldale, not Southington.  Since there is no direct access to CT 322 at the I-84 junction, it was a welcome guide.

Mergingtraffic

One more from I-691 EB.  Broad St is now Downtown Meriden.

Mergingtraffic

One more I-691 sign pic:
It used to say Lewis Ave TO CT-71.

New I-84 overheads are up as well.

shadyjay

I sense something is afoot....
Here I present one gantry... two views... I-84 westbound and eastbound at Exit 53 in East Hartford.  Note the signs appear new, but their backs reveal otherwise. 

DSC04329 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

84EB-Exit53 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

So what's going on here?  Are these temporary overlays over the existing signs?  The gantry is supposed to be replaced (at least according to the contract plans).  So, why bother going through the trouble to do temporary overlays?  And please, tell me, this is not the latest round of ConnDOT cost savings... "Hey!  We can make every sign out of sheet aluminum, even the exit signs, and just staple them to whatever sign is there already!"

Also, travelled Route 2 from East Hartford down to Colchester, along with all of Route 11.  Outside of some new mile markers and some covered-over gore signs, there isn't anything new to speak of.  Seems like most activity is still concentrating east of Colchester (for now).  On Route 11, just the sheets are replaced, mostly.  No new extrudeds yet, except onramp signage.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 12, 2023, 07:31:07 PM
The 80s and 90s appear to be the last time that the state actually cared about improving its road infrastructure.
Following the Mianus River Bridge collapse in 1983, Connecticut cancelled several proposed highway projects (I-291, I-491, I-84 extension toward Providence, and others) and used the freed-up funds to pay for a major highway and bridge rehabilitation program that ran through the remainder of the '80s and '90s. That money dried up in the early 2000s, and so Connecticut is back to scrounging the couch cushions for any funds they can find to pay to maintain what they have.

kernals12

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 12, 2023, 07:31:07 PM

Traffic was growing rapidly in the 80s and 90s. It's been flat since the mid 2000s.

But that being said, it's absolutely not true that there have been *no* improvements. US 7 in Northern Ridgefield got widened to 4 lanes (I watched the construction project when I was a young child), Brookfield got a freeway bypass, The Quinnipiac River bridge in New Haven was widened to 10 lanes, auxiliary lanes were added to 95 between Stamford and Norwalk, and most recently, I-84 in Waterbury was widened to 6 lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.