News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

New signage on I-84 East in Waterbury.  Note the Exit 22 exit tab is extra wide as it's to accomodate space for "21-" or "21&" 22.

Exit 21 is currently closed for the rehab project.  The DOT wants to remove it for good in the interim before the whole interchange gets redone years down the road.

The Exit 21 removal project wouldn't start until 2024 or 2025. I believe it's a good idea as it will create an AUX lane between the CT-8 on-ramp and the Exit 22 off-ramp.  They would even make Exit 22 a two-lane off ramp directly at the gore.  Something CT DOT never does.

I say keep it closed, it's dumb to open it again only to close it again.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jp the roadgeek

Looks like another case of using the MA spec state route shields, same as the ones used for I-691.  The tabs are probably extra wide to accommodate future mileage based exit numbers (20 would be 32B and 21-22 would either be 33A-B or just plain 33 if the exit is removed).  Still have a ways to go to update signage between Southbury and Southington, including mile markers.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

The Ghostbuster

Good thing those who replaced the signs planned ahead for the future conversion to mileage-based exits.

shadyjay

Today, the contract plans were released for the I-384/US 6 resigning (and mileage-based exit numbers).  Pretty standard contract, but a couple items of note:  I-384's westbound control city has been changed to "East Hartford".  Formerly unsigned westbound exit to US 6/44 in Bolton gets a number.  Overhead signage for US 6/44 East jct in Bolton Notch gets removed and replaced with some sheets.

Just search for "  I-384  "  in the Bid Board site:  https://portal.ct.gov/DAS/CTSource/BidBoard

RobbieL2415

Quote from: shadyjay on September 20, 2023, 07:29:03 PM
Today, the contract plans were released for the I-384/US 6 resigning (and mileage-based exit numbers).  Pretty standard contract, but a couple items of note:  I-384's westbound control city has been changed to "East Hartford".  Formerly unsigned westbound exit to US 6/44 in Bolton gets a number.  Overhead signage for US 6/44 East jct in Bolton Notch gets removed and replaced with some sheets.

Just search for "  I-384  "  in the Bid Board site:  https://portal.ct.gov/DAS/CTSource/BidBoard

Weird. Change the control city from some place that a majority of people are going to, but don't add Willimantic going eastbound.

The Ghostbuster

Will the US 6 Willimantic Bypass get exit numbers at the same time Interstate 384 gets mileage-based exit numbers?

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 21, 2023, 08:13:21 AM

Weird. Change the control city from some place that a majority of people are going to, but don't add Willimantic going eastbound.

Adding "East" to Hartford is extreme nitpicking.  I-691's control city westbound is still Waterbury, though it ends well before that.  However, all of the BGS's at entrance ramps no longer mention control cities (I-691 TO I-91 EB and I-691 TO I-84 WB). 

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2023, 11:16:10 AM
Will the US 6 Willimantic Bypass get exit numbers at the same time Interstate 384 gets mileage-based exit numbers?

I'd assume so, unless CTDOT jumps the gun and adds them first.  I saw some evidence of that on CT 3; the gore signs for Exit 13 and 11A SB are uncovered (though 11B is blacked out), the new services sign for Exit 13 has its numbers revealed, and the mile markers are in place. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

shadyjay

So all of I-691's onramps just have "TO I-91 (or) TO I-84" signage?  So I guess that means I-691 no longer has control cities.  Unless we're counting the ramps to I-691 from I-84 and I-91.  In that case, Meriden is the only control.  "Middletown" was removed from I-84 EB signage when I-84 was widened through the Cheshire-Southington area.
Signage on I-91 is in the process of being replaced and "Meriden" will be the only control city used.  Oh yeah, there's still the ramp from 15NB which has "Meriden/Waterbury" listed, but with the big I-91/I-691/Rt 15 interchange project coming, I bet Waterbury will fall from those as well. 

I do find it interesting that "Providence" is being retained as the I-384 East control city.  And, the use of "Charter Oak Br" as a control point on the HOV exit is continuing... could be because this contract stops short of the rest of the signs which still advertise the "C.O.B."  The contract plans for the I-384/US 6 project have the new exit numbers, so yes, this project will add mile-based exit numbers to both roads. 

Also, searching within the contract's "special provisions" pdf, one finds "OLD EXIT NUMBER" signs in the plans that are black-on-orange, vs white-on-green.  Curious, isn't it??!!

sharkyfour

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 21, 2023, 12:40:46 PM

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2023, 11:16:10 AM

I'd assume so, unless CTDOT jumps the gun and adds them first.  I saw some evidence of that on CT 3; the gore signs for Exit 13 and 11A SB are uncovered (though 11B is blacked out), the new services sign for Exit 13 has its numbers revealed, and the mile markers are in place.

No, they won't.  They just redid the sheet metal signs on the US 6 Expressway in the last year or so and the exit gore signs got replaced with numberless ones.

sharkyfour

Are they eliminating all the "Expressway Ends" signage at either end of the US-6 expressway?  I see it noted for I-384 but not for US-6 at all...

Mergingtraffic

US-6 expressway ends signs will be sheet metal.  Every project as of late, the CT DOT has replaced a previous extruded aluminum sign with a sheet metal sign.  Stop being cheap.  I pay my exorbitant taxes, please use extruded aluminum. The state def has the money now.

Also of note: The logo services signs are included in this project too, just like the I-84 one.  Makes me wonder if they will continue to replace them in future projects.

I've wondered when they'd replace the button copy logo service signs considering they're not state maintained when they're put up.

shadyjay

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 21, 2023, 09:58:55 PM
US-6 expressway ends signs will be sheet metal.  Every project as of late, the CT DOT has replaced a previous extruded aluminum sign with a sheet metal sign.  Stop being cheap.  I pay my exorbitant taxes, please use extruded aluminum. The state def has the money now.

The east end of I-384 is getting extruded signs, it appears, but they're cheaping out on the Jct US 6/44 signage.    Why not US 6?
Okay, town line signs I can see being sheets.  Most states have used sheets for town lines for years.  I do miss the "TOWN/NEXT # EXITS" signs.  If there are more than 3 exits in a town, it would be nice to have such a sign, like "Manchester Next 3 Exits".   Exit services could be sheets, but it would be nicer to have the sheets attached to the bottom of the 1 or 1/2 mile sign, kind of like what Maine has done in the past on the Maine Turnpike. 

And onramp signage should be extruded aluminum... not the flimsy sheets.  Or, if you're going to use sheets, use individual blades and route markers like what VT uses.   

shadyjay

Not the best shot, but I got this at the reconstructed onramp from Colt Highway to I-84 East at Exit 38 in Farmington, CT last weekend...

84EBonramp-Exit38 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

This is one of the very few onramp signs with US 6 included, and the only one with "TO CT 9".  Previously, there was no extruded sign here... just some aluminum shield/town signs.

The US 6 West trailblazer just beyond the onramp is a little premature, as US 6 West has yet to merge into Colt Highway from I-84 West.

Mergingtraffic

Suprised it's extruded.  As we know CT is being on the cheap with it.

So, I drove I-691 today and noticed there are some button copy signs on the westbound side still.

A sign that was put up as one of the recent 20 spot locations projects has been removed westbound. The "Exit 6 - Lewis Ave TO 71 3/4 Mile" sign is gone.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5438449,-72.7916542,3a,75y,268.86h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sM45ZGugyjAVpSlhCaFJKTA!2e0!5s20220801T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

However, Preston Ave remains on the Exit 1 advance signage eastbound.

But what really gets me:
All 4 extruded aluminum "expressway ends" signs have been removed on the eastbound side.  Only one flimsy "expressway ends 1/4 Mile" sheet metal sign is there.

Westbound, the "right lane ends" extruded sign is gone and only a sheet metal diamond road narrows sign is there.
How is that more safe for motorists?

I-84 EB, a new sign:

shadyjay

I-691 Westbound... The Exit 2-A gantries have yet to be replaced, and as of a couple weeks ago, the Exits 1B-C gantries are also not replaced yet.  I know the two Exit 2-A gantries (including the one linked above) are due to be modified as part of the 91N->691W improvment project, whose plans were released last week.  The plans show the new signs on a new gantry, and the signs will be replaced.  Yup... the signs that aren't even up yet will be replaced again in a project that most likely will kick off with boots on the ground in the spring of 2024.  Makes about as much sense as the removal of the former Exit 6 sign from the former Exit 7 gantry... seriously, do these different departments/desks at DOT communicate with each other?  You'd think someone from the "major projects" division would have reviewed the 20 spot sign locations and been like "Hey, we're replacing the signs next year anyway, so you don't have to put this one up".  Or... "just put up a sheet, a la RIDOT, and we'll put a permanent one up later".  I'm not a fan of making each direction have the same signage, regardless if its logical or not.  Preston Ave should remain Preston Ave.  Advertising former Exit 6 for "71/Chamberlain Hwy" is just wrong.  And we replaced "Broad St" with "Downtown" so now we have "Downtown Meriden" and "Meriden".  That eliminates confusion and makes perfect logical sense.... NOT!

Instead, we get extruded signs that seem to last a year before they're replaced, and then they cry poverty, claiming they don't have enough money to do extruded signs on the on-ramps, expressway ends signs, or even exit services/park & rides.  And that adding a service bar would put too much weight onto the sign.  How 'bout just tacking the symbols on sheet aluminum at the bottom of the 1 or 1/2 mile extruded sign.  Then, maybe, they won't get hit by renegade vehicles or knocked over in the wind.  Can't wait to see what damage the plows do to them. 

Now I can see the town line signs going to sheets... most states have been doing that for years (if they even post town line signs.. I don't think the NYS Thruway does).  What I do miss is that if there's multiple exits in a town, then there should be a "[town name] / NEXT ## EXITS" sign.  Like "Meriden/Next 8 Exits". 

Mergingtraffic

I still can't fathom they took down all the extruded warning signs (expressway ends on the east side and "right lane ends" on the western side.
It's more dangerous

I-84 mixmaster alternatives have been narrowed. Will this mean anything? It's the same stuff they did in 2007. And nothing happened except another study which is what they're doing now .

https://www.newmixwaterbury.com/project-alternatives/?fbclid=IwAR3Jw06VSjBdW725EG86538xxrD-fnXtul_kAD1x_knIbhp_7ZSNPnOqy4E_aem_ASnjyvICEeFdzbnIdzTLKzUkuP12dgGRtBrGLc_a2AxBy7rOFU4ns6eHX3W-cArK5g0&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

The Ghostbuster

So, if the Interstate 84/CT 8 interchange is ever reconstructed (and that's a big if, considering this is Connecticut), the new interchange would either be: A Modern Crossover Interchange; A Keep Route 8 Stacked Interchange; or A Naugatuck River Shift Interchange; all of whom would be Full System Interchanges. If these proposals ever proceed to be constructed, it would be a miracle. However, I'm not holding my breath.

abqtraveler

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 09, 2023, 06:40:11 PM
So, if the Interstate 84/CT 8 interchange is ever reconstructed (and that's a big if, considering this is Connecticut), the new interchange would either be: A Modern Crossover Interchange; A Keep Route 8 Stacked Interchange; or A Naugatuck River Shift Interchange; all of whom would be Full System Interchanges. If these proposals ever proceed to be constructed, it would be a miracle. However, I'm not holding my breath.
The latest I read about the Waterbury I-84/Route 8 Mixmaster is that CTDOT is thinking about taking a piecemeal approach to its reconstruction/replacement. Essentially, they would reconstruct the interchange one piece at a time through multiple construction projects, much like what was done in New Haven with the Q-Bridge and the I-91/I-95/Route 34 interchange and adjacent roadways.  While it might make the reconstruction as a whole more manageable, it will likely stretch out the entire reconstruction of the interchange over the span of 10 to 20 years or more.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 09, 2023, 06:40:11 PM

The current study was the exact same thing they did in 2007, so nothing will happen and they will have to redo the study again.

Plutonic Panda

1.1 billion in funds approved for transportation projects some are mass transit which is good but I'll post the road related ones and the link.

QuoteFix-it-First Bridge Repair: $98 million for rehabilitation, reconstruction, repair, or replacement of bridges on the state highway system, matching $40 million in federal funds. Some examples of projects include:

Middletown – replace bridge carrying I-91 over an unnamed brook
New Britain/Plainville – rehab/replace five bridges carrying Route 72

I-91/1-691/Route 15 Interchange in Meriden: $31.7 million for interchange reconstruction and realignment on I-91 North, I-691 West and Route 15 North to address operational and safety concerns to improve safety and decrease congestion, matching $223 million in federal funds.

Installation of Advanced Wrong-Way Driving Technology: $12.4 million to support the implementation of wrong-way driver detection systems at 70 high-risk locations statewide. The systems will alert drivers of incorrect direction by flashing red lights and state police will be notified in real time through special alerts.

State Local Bridge Program Improvements: $7.1 million for grants for local bridge projects across the state, to be matched by $7.1 million in local funds. Examples of projects include:
Burlington – Covey Road over Bunnell Brook
New Haven – Humphrey Street over Mill River
Washington – Rabbit Hill Road over Meeker Swamp Road
Windsor – Pleasant Valley Road over Podunk River

Groton/North Stonington Safety Improvements: $3 million for safety improvements and pavement rehabilitation from I-95 Exit 89 to the Rhode Island state line, matching $54 million in federal funds.

Article here: https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/state-bond-commission-approves-1-1-billion-for-transportation-projects/3118845/

MikeCL

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 11, 2023, 08:50:19 PM
A few minutes ago, I was looking through GSV of US 1 in the Greenwich/Cos Cob area, and I didn't see a single sign telling motorists how they can get to any of the Metro-North stations there.

Now why is that? In neighboring Westchester County, they're in every city and village along US 1 that has a station.
That's a good question

dgolub

Quote from: shadyjay on October 13, 2023, 09:33:55 PM
CT has never been a huge fan of the RR station logo signs, typically prefering the text "RR STATION" sign.  There also could be a sign ordinance, given its Greenwich, after all.

Connecticut still does better than Long Island in this respect.  Connecticut at least has signs on the highway indicating which exit to use.  Long Island has literally nothing.

shadyjay

Took a drive around this morning before (and during) the rain to check on sign replacement and exit renumbering projects in southwest CT.  Drove I-91 up to Exit 10 and the length of CT 40.  I was hoping to find progress on CT 40's sign replacement (lumped in with I-91 Exits 9-18), but outside of new mile markers and some new sheets, there's little visible progress.  Also travelled more of CT 8 from Bridgeport to Ansonia (and last weekend from Winsted down to Waterbury).  In both trips, again, no visible progress on sign replacement, exit renumbering, etc.  There are a few scattered gantries in Derby and Bridgeport being replaced and saw no evidence of any excavation for new foundations or such.

I returned home via I-95, and stopped at the Milford-NB service plaza for lunch, where I caught this being built behind me in the parking lot:
95NB-MilfordPlaza-NewBldg by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Similar structures are going up at other plazas, including Madison-SB.  I'm not sure what they'll be... it does remind me of a stand-alone Dunkin'.... perhaps either a "second prescence" at the plaza, or to replace their spot inside to make room for other tenants.  Madison-SB is "at capacity" but Milford-NB still has a vendor area available inside.  If these are going to be Dunkin' standalones, I suspect a lot of traffic around them, especially in the AM. 

And further up I-95, I stopped at the "Conn. Welcome Center" in Westbrook, NB.  It's still open, and the info center attendant said they'll probably stay open until the end of October/beginning of November, "same as last year" as he said. 

RyanB06

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/i-95n-closed-norwalk-westport-bridge-replaced-18422100.php?cmpid=fbsocialflow

This is in the vicinity of Exit 17. They expect all work to be done in a 58-hour window from 8 p.m. this Friday until 6 a.m. this Sunday.

All traffic will be diverted to the southbound side during the work, but ConnDOT recommends avoiding the area entirely.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.