News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Quote from: RyanB06 on October 16, 2023, 07:40:20 PM
https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/i-95n-closed-norwalk-westport-bridge-replaced-18422100.php?cmpid=fbsocialflow

This is in the vicinity of Exit 17. They expect all work to be done in a 58-hour window from 8 p.m. this Friday until 6 a.m. this Sunday.

All traffic will be diverted to the southbound side during the work, but ConnDOT recommends avoiding the area entirely.

Which basically means heavy delays this weekend along I-84 WB, CT 15 SB and I-684 SB.

connroadgeek

The closure is actually from 8 PM Friday to 6 AM Monday, and then in two weeks they will do it again to replace the southbound lanes. See the project's official website: https://www.i95norwalkwestport.com/

MikeCL

So wait NB and SB traffic on the same side?

MikeCL

Quote from: shadyjay on October 14, 2023, 06:38:49 PM
Took a drive around this morning before (and during) the rain to check on sign replacement and exit renumbering projects in southwest CT.  Drove I-91 up to Exit 10 and the length of CT 40.  I was hoping to find progress on CT 40's sign replacement (lumped in with I-91 Exits 9-18), but outside of new mile markers and some new sheets, there's little visible progress.  Also travelled more of CT 8 from Bridgeport to Ansonia (and last weekend from Winsted down to Waterbury).  In both trips, again, no visible progress on sign replacement, exit renumbering, etc.  There are a few scattered gantries in Derby and Bridgeport being replaced and saw no evidence of any excavation for new foundations or such.

I returned home via I-95, and stopped at the Milford-NB service plaza for lunch, where I caught this being built behind me in the parking lot:
95NB-MilfordPlaza-NewBldg by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Similar structures are going up at other plazas, including Madison-SB.  I'm not sure what they'll be... it does remind me of a stand-alone Dunkin'.... perhaps either a "second prescence" at the plaza, or to replace their spot inside to make room for other tenants.  Madison-SB is "at capacity" but Milford-NB still has a vendor area available inside.  If these are going to be Dunkin' standalones, I suspect a lot of traffic around them, especially in the AM. 

And further up I-95, I stopped at the "Conn. Welcome Center" in Westbrook, NB.  It's still open, and the info center attendant said they'll probably stay open until the end of October/beginning of November, "same as last year" as he said.
I asked the same question a few pages back and no one knew anything I'm curious too.. Maybe a stand alone welcome center? I mean Darien already has dunkin inside.

I even tried to look on the DOT website and I don't see anything showing.

Alps

Quote from: MikeCL on October 17, 2023, 07:53:02 PM
I imagine it would be a 2x2 crossover state.

EDIT: "All traffic will be diverted onto the southbound side of I-95 with two lanes in each direction. Rosenblatt also urges Connecticut drivers to avoid I-95 if possible this weekend."

abqtraveler

Quote from: MikeCL on October 17, 2023, 07:55:44 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on October 14, 2023, 06:38:49 PM
Took a drive around this morning before (and during) the rain to check on sign replacement and exit renumbering projects in southwest CT.  Drove I-91 up to Exit 10 and the length of CT 40.  I was hoping to find progress on CT 40's sign replacement (lumped in with I-91 Exits 9-18), but outside of new mile markers and some new sheets, there's little visible progress.  Also travelled more of CT 8 from Bridgeport to Ansonia (and last weekend from Winsted down to Waterbury).  In both trips, again, no visible progress on sign replacement, exit renumbering, etc.  There are a few scattered gantries in Derby and Bridgeport being replaced and saw no evidence of any excavation for new foundations or such.

I returned home via I-95, and stopped at the Milford-NB service plaza for lunch, where I caught this being built behind me in the parking lot:
95NB-MilfordPlaza-NewBldg by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Similar structures are going up at other plazas, including Madison-SB.  I'm not sure what they'll be... it does remind me of a stand-alone Dunkin'.... perhaps either a "second prescence" at the plaza, or to replace their spot inside to make room for other tenants.  Madison-SB is "at capacity" but Milford-NB still has a vendor area available inside.  If these are going to be Dunkin' standalones, I suspect a lot of traffic around them, especially in the AM. 

And further up I-95, I stopped at the "Conn. Welcome Center" in Westbrook, NB.  It's still open, and the info center attendant said they'll probably stay open until the end of October/beginning of November, "same as last year" as he said.
I asked the same question a few pages back and no one knew anything I'm curious too.. Maybe a stand alone welcome center? I mean Darien already has dunkin inside.

I even tried to look on the DOT website and I don't see anything showing.
From the colors they're using on the building exterior, I would guess it's a Starbucks they're building.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Alps on October 17, 2023, 09:15:35 PM
Quote from: MikeCL on October 17, 2023, 07:53:02 PM
I imagine it would be a 2x2 crossover state.

EDIT: "All traffic will be diverted onto the southbound side of I-95 with two lanes in each direction. Rosenblatt also urges Connecticut drivers to avoid I-95 if possible this weekend."

I think in general most drivers should avoid I-95 in Connecticut where possible.

Mergingtraffic

New Exit 21 signage for the new 4th lane from Exit 22-Exit 21 on I-84 west in Waterbury.  The lane isn't open yet but is about to be.
This was actually a smart forward thinking part of the project as it was added into the rehab project later on.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

shadyjay

So westbound gets a standard CT shield, while eastbound gets the Mass. outline shields?  On the same project?  Typical.

Any "lower deck" signs replaced yet?

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on October 18, 2023, 08:39:28 PM
So westbound gets a standard CT shield, while eastbound gets the Mass. outline shields?  On the same project?  Typical.

Any "lower deck" signs replaced yet?

Yes the CT-8 NB Exit 20 and SB Exit 19 exit now signs are installed.  The left exit tab is elongated because of the clearance.  I didn't get a change to the exit 20 one.  They both have the MA style 8s

connroadgeek

I don't understand why the upper and lower level Route 8 shields would be different. Aren't they all being replaced under the same project by the same contractor?

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: connroadgeek on October 19, 2023, 06:45:36 PM
I don't understand why the upper and lower level Route 8 shields would be different. Aren't they all being replaced under the same project by the same contractor?

In my first pic, the CT-8 shield was from an earlier spot sign replacement contract and the new one is with the rehab project, which CT DOT has since switched to the border shields.  The rehab project replaced the Exit 21 sign on the same gantry from the spot replacement project.

Mergingtraffic

jp the roadgeek

Some signage updates on I-691 near the I-91/CT 15 interchange

Eastbound gantry at Exit 1B (Old 10) has new signage.  The Exit Now signage now matches the 1 mi and 1/2 mi advance and omits "W Cross Pkwy".  Also a new 1 mi advance for CT 66 Exit 1 (Old 12) with East Main St has been added to the middle, along with a new 1/2 mile left exit for 91 North with just Hartford and no Springfield.

Westbound signage has been updated between US 5 and Colony St.  The Exit Now for Broad St (US 5) matches EB with Downtown Meriden, while the 1/2 mile and Exit Now for Exit 2B now matches the plain Meriden EB, save for the 1/4 mile advance for trucks to Downtown Meriden.  The long gantry with the empty slot from the old Exit 3 sign has also been replaced.  However, the WB signage up to the 1/2 mile advance for Broad St remains.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

shadyjay

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 22, 2023, 05:18:48 PM
Some signage updates on I-691 near the I-91/CT 15 interchange

Eastbound gantry at Exit 1B (Old 10) has new signage.  The Exit Now signage now matches the 1 mi and 1/2 mi advance and omits "W Cross Pkwy".  Also a new 1 mi advance for CT 66 Exit 1 (Old 12) with East Main St has been added to the middle, along with a new 1/2 mile left exit for 91 North with just Hartford and no Springfield.

Westbound signage has been updated between US 5 and Colony St.  The Exit Now for Broad St (US 5) matches EB with Downtown Meriden, while the 1/2 mile and Exit Now for Exit 2B now matches the plain Meriden EB, save for the 1/4 mile advance for trucks to Downtown Meriden.  The long gantry with the empty slot from the old Exit 3 sign has also been replaced.  However, the WB signage up to the 1/2 mile advance for Broad St remains.

Westbound:
CT66WB-Exit01 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr
(the gantry was a spot replacement some 10 years ago.  the signs were just replaced.  I-691 pull-thru is no more)

691WB-Exit1C by Jay Hogan, on Flickr
(note Exit 1-C exit now sign/gantry not replaced yet)

691WB-Exit2A by Jay Hogan, on Flickr
(new signs on existing 1970s gantry.  most likely will be replaced when 91N->15/691 project is complete, as I-691 will get a 4th lane, ending just past this gantry).

Really, I'd like to talk to the sign designers and want to know why they think that having two instances of "Meriden" on the same sign makes sense.  Before, you had "Broad St" and "Downtown Meriden".  Now you have "Meriden" and "Downtown Meriden".  And further west, "Lewis Ave" has been replaced with "71/Chamberlain Highway" in an effort to standardize both directions of travel with the same signage.  Well, you know what?  Sometimes the ramps just don't go to the same place!  Same eastbound, with "Preston Ave" being replaced with "East Main ST". 

shadyjay

Eastbound:

691EB-Exit1B by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

There's that dreaded "East Main St" sign which should say "Preston Ave".  You can get to East Main St a lot quicker if you get off onto I-91/CT 15 South and take the first exit, which leads directly to East Main St! 

691EB-Exit1A-CT66EB by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Okay, these two gantries and signs were only put up like 2 years ago.  There was nothing wrong with them... except that they had an extra control city (Springfield and W. Cross Pkwy).  And not to mention both of these gantries are in the middle of a just-starting major infrastructure project (the "Meriden Mix") that will make the I-691 EB to I-91 NB ramp 2 lanes wide.  So why not wait until then to replace the signs?  Not to mention, the loss of the pull-thrus.... the second sign had a cool "BEGIN 66 EAST" pull-thru, which made the exit number 1C to 1 make sense.  But now, that's gone.  CT 66 East doesn't get a single notification of a trailblazer or anything until after the expressway ends. 

But... this is progress.  I guess??!!

connroadgeek

Why do all the exit 1s not have a suffix? Shouldn't it be 1A, 1B, and 1C instead of 1, 1A, and 1B?

abqtraveler

Quote from: connroadgeek on October 23, 2023, 06:29:09 AM
Why do all the exit 1s not have a suffix? Shouldn't it be 1A, 1B, and 1C instead of 1, 1A, and 1B?
Because that Exit 1 is for Route 66, whereas the other suffixed Exit 1s are for I-691, given that I-691 ends at I-91 and Route 66 continues east from there.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

connroadgeek

Quote from: abqtraveler on October 23, 2023, 08:46:50 AM
Because that Exit 1 is for Route 66, whereas the other suffixed Exit 1s are for I-691, given that I-691 ends at I-91 and Route 66 continues east from there.
That makes sense, but if this is the eastern terminus of I-691 how can it be exit 1? Shouldn't exit 1 be on the western end?

The Ghostbuster

Since CT 66's western end is at the 91/691 interchange, it makes perfect sense to number the Preston Ave. (EB) and E. Main St. (WB) exits as Exit 1, since both fall within Mile 0 and Mile 2 of the CT 66 route. Now if CT 66 were still US 6A with its western terminus still at Woodbury, that would be a different story.

vdeane

Quote from: connroadgeek on October 23, 2023, 12:22:35 PM
That makes sense, but if this is the eastern terminus of I-691 how can it be exit 1? Shouldn't exit 1 be on the western end?
Sometimes 3dis have mile 0 at their parent rather than at the southern/western end.  Evidently I-691 uses this method of numbering.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

connroadgeek

Quote from: vdeane on October 23, 2023, 03:19:31 PM
Quote from: connroadgeek on October 23, 2023, 12:22:35 PM
Sometimes 3dis have mile 0 at their parent rather than at the southern/western end.  Evidently I-691 uses this method of numbering.
Looks like you are correct as in the photo you can see the little 691 "mile zero" mile marker right at the exit ramp.

shadyjay

The former sequential numbering system had the I-84 interchange at the west end of I-691 be Exits 1 & 2, then they counted up from there heading east, with the final number being Exit 13 on Route 66.  Back then, there were no mileposts publicly posted.  Apparently I-691 is logged (in ConnDOT reference) in reverse, with MP 0 at I-91 and mileage counting up as you travel west.  Because CT 66 is logged normally (as an east/west road, with mileposts increasing as you travel east (if mileposts were posted)), with MP 0 being at I-91, you have the former Exits 10, 11, 12 becoming Exits 1B, 1A, then 1.  Mileage-based exits are supposed to eliminate confusion, but this just seems more confusing.  Couple to that, motorists don't even know they've left I-691 and are on CT 66, except if noticing the I-691 East MP 0.  There are no mileposts on the CT 66 portion, no trailblazers, no nothing, and the former convenient "BEGIN 66 EAST" pull-thru at Exit 1-A is now gone (lasting a whopping 2 years, as a result of a spot replacement). 

Again, the spot replacement desk must not talk to the major projects desk, as they could've saved some $$$ by eliminating 2 sites from the 2020 version.  I can think of a dozen presently-mounted overpass signs in need of replacement statewide.  The trick is... are these going to be replaced in a blanket project a year or two after they're replaced in a spot project?

Alps

"I-691 is north-south" >_>

shadyjay

Quote from: Alps on October 23, 2023, 06:16:14 PM
"I-691 is north-south" >_>

And for that reason, I'm not a huge fan of the I-691 designation.  I would think an "I-X84" would be better, with MP 0 at I-84. 

I still remember the day I noticed that CT 66 was renumbered.  There was a sign westbound at the merge from Preston Ave that said "NOTICE/66 IS NOW 691".  Many of the gantries just replaced were still up (don't remember if they were repainted yellow yet).  I do remember the ramp to Rt 15 North/Berlin Tpke was a ground-mount that didn't get elevated until the late 1980s. 

Oh, how I wish digital cameras were around back then.... and for me to have the hindsight to take pictures of the signs. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.