AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 01:02:00 PM 
Started by planxtymcgillicuddy - Last post by GaryV
People have walked late into church during prayers.

on: Today at 12:56:49 PM 
Started by The Nature Boy - Last post by J N Winkler
Hmm, now I wonder if there are any other comparable blocks?

You can go coast to coast from Oregon to Florida and from Minnesota to Texas on Washington Counties. Since there's 31 states with one of that name.

Wikipedia has an article with a list of the most common US county names.  Besides Washington (31 counties, number one in the US), there is probably at least one large block for each of Jefferson (26), Franklin (25), Jackson (24), Lincoln (24, including ones in the South named after Benjamin Lincoln, a Revolutionary War general), Madison (20), Clay (18), and so on.  Johnson is actually pretty far down the list and covers multiple namesakes.  I'm not sure how unusual it is in that there is just the one contiguous block that includes all of the counties with that name.

The county I live in is actually the basis for such a block--the only other Sedgwick County (which we occasionally hear of in TV weather trailers when a storm system overlaps the state line) includes the northeast corner of Colorado and has Julesburg as its seat.  I think the likelihood goes up for names that are regionally specific, like Lowndes (AL, GA, MS, and no other states).

on: Today at 12:54:18 PM 
Started by mukade - Last post by cabiness42
Indiana-related question that's not worth it's own thread (hopefully this is appropriate).

I noticed that the toll road has no toll barrier at the Buchanan Street exit. How do they handle it if I enter the tollway at the Gary Road exit, which has toll barriers?

Will I not be charged anything because there's nobody to accept my ticket at the Buchanan Street exit, or will I be charged the full length of the tollway because I don't have a ticket?

I have an I-Pass, but I'm not sure if this allows them to realize I get on and off at Buchanan Street and charge me appropriately.

There's no toll to enter at Buchanan St (Grant St). There is a toll booth at the Gary Rd (Cline Ave) exit but it's a fixed toll not dependent on where you get on. As noted above, the ticket system is only in effect east of the Portage exit.

on: Today at 12:47:46 PM 
Started by Bruce - Last post by Takumi
Largest, probably the inaugural Roval race at Charlotte. Smallest, IMSA at Virginia International Raceway.

on: Today at 12:40:40 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by nwi_navigator_1181
In 2004, there was a major accident and subsequent truck fire that caused a complete, all-day shutdown of I-80/94 in Gary (near Grant Street, if I’m not mistaken). To set the scene, this was before the expressway was expanded to four lanes. As a matter of fact, the first round of expansion reconstruction was fully underway in the Hammond area.

I lived on US 20 in the Miller area at the time. With the Borman completely crippled, the Toll Road was jammed up significantly (this road had yet to expand as well, work was still a year away). That left US 12 and 20, and I could see the effects of the expressway fire right outside my window. Westbound US 20 was at a near standstill, and it spilled over onto US 12 right behind my house. Obviously, I-65 was pinched because of this accident too.

I wanted to go to Merrillville that day, so I had to wait for westbound traffic to let me in, then I cut through business parking lots to get to US 12 east (US 12 and 20 were that close to each other at that time). Long story short, I had to head east to Indiana 51 to have any level of moving traffic then used Ridge Road to get to I-65. To get back home, I was able to get to I-80/94, but remembering that I had to cut through westbound traffic to get into my driveway, I had to take I-80/94 east to Central Avenue, then used 15th Avenue and Lake Street to go back to US 20, take advantage of the gap in traffic because of a traffic light, then clamber my way back home.

Funnily enough, not counting the local streets, this was the designated detour for traffic looking to travel on I-65 when that highway was shut down for construction in 2008.

on: Today at 12:34:07 PM 
Started by mukade - Last post by ilpt4u
^^^^^^^^^^^The ITR Closed Ticket System starts, EB, in Portage after the Willowcreek Rd exit, well after I-80 joins the Toll Road. West of Lake Station, the ITR is more like ISTHA Toll Roads, with an Open system, so not all exits have toll points, and some exits have it for only one direction

on: Today at 12:32:24 PM 
Started by 1 - Last post by formulanone
Louisiana 1059, a short spur seemingly created for about a dozen land owners:

on: Today at 12:27:54 PM 
Started by planxtymcgillicuddy - Last post by kkt
Most performing arts I've been to start within 5-10 minutes of the announced time.  Everybody in the audience who got to the theatre before the announced time is allowed to get their seats, but if they're after that they don't get to march in front of the rest of the audience during a scene.  Only time we were late the house manager put us in a balcony to watch until the end of the scene and then moved us forward.

on: Today at 12:27:22 PM 
Started by mukade - Last post by Hobart
Indiana-related question that's not worth it's own thread (hopefully this is appropriate).

I noticed that the toll road has no toll barrier at the Buchanan Street exit. How do they handle it if I enter the tollway at the Gary Road exit, which has toll barriers?

Will I not be charged anything because there's nobody to accept my ticket at the Buchanan Street exit, or will I be charged the full length of the tollway because I don't have a ticket?

I have an I-Pass, but I'm not sure if this allows them to realize I get on and off at Buchanan Street and charge me appropriately.

on: Today at 12:01:56 PM 
Started by Alex - Last post by Mr. Matté
David Letterman doing "Small Town News" from I-78 in Union County, NJ in 1988

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.