News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: famartin on January 27, 2022, 06:12:02 PM
Can't find this on NJDOT's site yet, but didn't look hard... Route 3 Hackensack River Bridge replacement project:

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2022/01/pols-announce-143-million-route-3-bridge-over-hackensack-river-and-talk-of-light-rail-too.html

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/transportation/2022/01/25/route-3-bridge-nj-replaced-meadowlands-light-rail/9203472002/
Yup that's been known in engineering circles for awhile. Get your photos of the old truss now while you can.

bzakharin

Quote from: Alps on January 27, 2022, 06:27:23 PM
Quote from: famartin on January 27, 2022, 11:36:11 AM
Quote from: J Route Z on January 27, 2022, 11:33:53 AM
https://www.nj.com/news/2022/01/permanent-cashless-tolls-are-finally-coming-to-nj-starting-with-a-small-highway.html

Permanent cashless tolls are coming to N.J. starting with the AC Expressway. Could be operational by 2025.

Only a north Jersey source would term the ACE a "small highway"  :-D
Compared to the other ones that aren't cashless yet it's small potatoes.
What "toll highways" are cashless in NJ? If you're counting Staten Island bridges, you have to count the bridges and tunnels that aren't cashless as well.

famartin

Quote from: bzakharin on January 29, 2022, 06:57:45 PM
https://www.nj.com/news/2022/01/permanent-cashless-tolls-are-finally-coming-to-nj-starting-with-a-small-highway.html

Permanent cashless tolls are coming to N.J. starting with the AC Expressway. Could be operational by 2025.

What "toll highways" are cashless in NJ? If you're counting Staten Island bridges, you have to count the bridges and tunnels that aren't cashless as well.

In NJ, the only cashless toll I can think of other than PANYNJ crossings is the Scudder Falls Bridge. There might be others I'm just not thinking of.

As far as large highways, I think Pa Turnpike is cashless now, which is larger than the three major NJ toll roads combined (in length at least, but maybe not revenue).

bzakharin

Quote from: famartin on January 29, 2022, 07:13:01 PM

In NJ, the only cashless toll I can think of other than PANYNJ crossings is the Scudder Falls Bridge. There might be others I'm just not thinking of.

As far as large highways, I think Pa Turnpike is cashless now, which is larger than the three major NJ toll roads combined (in length at least, but maybe not revenue).

Sorry, I misread "Compared to the other ones that aren't cashless yet" as referring only to NJ only

Alps

Quote from: bzakharin on January 29, 2022, 09:09:49 PM
Quote from: famartin on January 29, 2022, 07:13:01 PM

Sorry, I misread "Compared to the other ones that aren't cashless yet" as referring only to NJ only
I was referring to the Turnpike and Parkway as the other ones. Any remaining Port Authority crossings are also big potatoes.

Mergingtraffic

When were these non-reflective button copy beauties installed on NJ-21?  I imagine pretty late as the exit tabs are right aligned. Pretty late for non-reflective background button copy signs.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

civilmaher

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 31, 2022, 12:55:40 PM
When were these non-reflective button copy beauties installed on NJ-21?  I imagine pretty late as the exit tabs are right aligned. Pretty late for non-reflective background button copy signs.

Historicaerials.com has it installed around the early '80s.
Opinions represent mine and no other organization that I am associated with.

storm2k

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 31, 2022, 12:55:40 PM

That's vintage late 70s-early 80s NJDOT goodness. But like you point out, on the later side of that since the exit tabs are aligned and not centered.

SignBridge

I remember the original signing on I-80 from the 1960's-70's was the same as above. I always liked that effect of the button-copy legend against what appeared at night to be a black background but which was actually non-reflective green sheeting.

roadman65

The original NJ 21 signs were substandard as so were those on Route 3. They used small signs with upper case lettering and underscored the street names.  The NJ 7 offramp NB had a side mount small sign showing Passaic to the left for NJ 21 pull through and Belleville- Kearny for Route 7 ramp.  NJ 7 used a separate stand alone shields instead of on the sign.  NJ 3 had a gore sign with a lighting fixture on the NB side with Passaic straight ahead and a NJ 3 shield( on the sign display) with cardinal directions.  There was no advanced warning guides for it but a large JCT display prior to the NJ 3 overpass that is part of the Passaic River Bridge.

It was in the early eighties they introduced freeway signs to the freeway here.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

J Route Z

https://nj1015.com/awful-potentially-dangerous-improvement-on-nj-440-i-287-in-woodbridge-nj/

This article gives accurate details about the poorly designed sign replacements along Route 440 in Woodbridge. Apparently, some of the down arrows do not quite align with the lanes, causing motorist confusion.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: J Route Z on February 27, 2022, 08:51:03 PM
https://nj1015.com/awful-potentially-dangerous-improvement-on-nj-440-i-287-in-woodbridge-nj/

This article gives accurate details about the poorly designed sign replacements along Route 440 in Woodbridge. Apparently, some of the down arrows do not quite align with the lanes, causing motorist confusion.

Errrrrrr....this was hard to read.  If they're going to do such a lengthy story, maybe they could've, you know, driven the road and taken pictures from the appropriate lanes, rather than just using GSV views. (Did they talk with someone from North Carolina regarding this story?)

They also seem to be completely unaware of specific MUTCD signage guidelines.  The sign showing the left exit 200 feet ahead never said "Exit Only", so the sign was correct.

It would be nice to have actual crash data too, to see if there is an uptick in crashes due to the new signage.  This is, after all, a 'major' news station for New Jersey.  They have the contacts.  Or maybe they did get the data which conflicts with their story, so they just left that out.

jeffandnicole

Plutonic Panda

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 01, 2022, 07:08:00 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 01, 2022, 04:57:49 PM
https://www.nj.com/politics/2022/03/will-nj-allow-self-serve-gas-stations-with-new-bill-the-great-debate-is-back.html
It's absolutely comical there even has to be a debate. "Should we join the 21st century or keep idiotic laws in place."

Just for a little counterpoint with that:

It just shows what we are used to doing ourselves. Many people complain about self-serve check outs in stores, wondering why we need to do the work of a cashier at the store. At a gas station, we think nothing of getting out of the car to pump our own gas, rather than expecting an employee at the store to do it for us.

Heck, there's people that come that will pump their own gas, walk inside, pour their own coffee, then complain about the self checkout.

kernals12

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 01, 2022, 08:02:17 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 01, 2022, 07:08:00 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 01, 2022, 04:57:49 PM
https://www.nj.com/politics/2022/03/will-nj-allow-self-serve-gas-stations-with-new-bill-the-great-debate-is-back.html
It's absolutely comical there even has to be a debate. "Should we join the 21st century or keep idiotic laws in place."

Just for a little counterpoint with that:

It just shows what we are used to doing ourselves. Many people complain about self-serve check outs in stores, wondering why we need to do the work of a cashier at the store. At a gas station, we think nothing of getting out of the car to pump our own gas, rather than expecting an employee at the store to do it for us.

Heck, there's people that come that will pump their own gas, walk inside, pour their own coffee, then complain about the self checkout.
Putting the fuel pump in your car is a lot less tedious than unloading each one of your groceries, scanning it, then putting it in a bag.

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 27, 2022, 09:18:07 PM

Errrrrrr....this was hard to read.  If they're going to do such a lengthy story, maybe they could've, you know, driven the road and taken pictures from the appropriate lanes, rather than just using GSV views. (Did they talk with someone from North Carolina regarding this story?)

They also seem to be completely unaware of specific MUTCD signage guidelines.  The sign showing the left exit 200 feet ahead never said "Exit Only", so the sign was correct.

It would be nice to have actual crash data too, to see if there is an uptick in crashes due to the new signage.  This is, after all, a 'major' news station for New Jersey.  They have the contacts.  Or maybe they did get the data which conflicts with their story, so they just left that out.

The last thing NJ101.5 is is a "major news station". It's generic right wing talk radio that most people just know because they do traffic reports centered on the state every quarter hour.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on March 01, 2022, 09:27:54 PM

The last thing NJ101.5 is is a "major news station". It's generic right wing talk radio that most people just know because they do traffic reports centered on the state every quarter hour.
Right wing? I haven't ever been able to make anything of 101.5 other than it's got a catchy catchphrase and occasionally issues generic traffic reports reading from Google. I've heard them in the intervening time and I don't even find them political, just dumb.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on March 01, 2022, 11:34:06 PM
Quote from: storm2k on March 01, 2022, 09:27:54 PM

Right wing? I haven't ever been able to make anything of 101.5 other than it's got a catchy catchphrase and occasionally issues generic traffic reports reading from Google. I've heard them in the intervening time and I don't even find them political, just dumb.

The news portion is fairly neutral. The talk shows are not necessarily. Bill Spadea is pretty right wing for NJ, and Dennis and Judi are pretty right leaning too. Deminski and Doyle are fairly neutral though.

yakra

Spring 2007 I rolled up to the diesel pump somewhere between Neptune & Eatontown or wherever & started pumping my own. Didn't hear peep from anyone; nobody came rushing over exclaiming NO NO NO DON'T DO THAT.
Coulda been they saw my outtastate plates, coulda been they saw what fuel I was getting.

Does the pump-your-own ban apply explicitly to gas, or to diesel as well?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

famartin

Quote from: yakra on March 02, 2022, 12:30:08 PM
Spring 2007 I rolled up to the diesel pump somewhere between Neptune & Eatontown or wherever & started pumping my own. Didn't hear peep from anyone; nobody came rushing over exclaiming NO NO NO DON'T DO THAT.
Coulda been they saw my outtastate plates, coulda been they saw what fuel I was getting.

Not sure.

Regarding gas...
I never tried to pump myself in nj until the pandemic. Since then I've had occasions where attendants shrug it off, as well as instances where they rush over to prevent me. I've heard there are "observers"  sent to stations on occasion to ensure people are prevented from self serve, but honestly not sure how true that is.

MASTERNC

Diesel is not required to be full-serve in NJ, nor is EV charging.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on March 02, 2022, 01:02:46 PM

Not sure.

Regarding gas...
I never tried to pump myself in nj until the pandemic. Since then I've had occasions where attendants shrug it off, as well as instances where they rush over to prevent me. I've heard there are "observers"  sent to stations on occasion to ensure people are prevented from self serve, but honestly not sure how true that is.

0% true.

The state's drivers loves its Full-Serve gas, but the agency responsible for ensuring complaince (which is not the State or Local Police) isn't so anal that they're doing secret surveillance.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 02, 2022, 02:07:21 PM
Quote from: famartin on March 02, 2022, 01:02:46 PM

Not sure.

Regarding gas...

0% true.

The state's drivers loves its Full-Serve gas, but the agency responsible for ensuring complaince (which is not the State or Local Police) isn't so anal that they're doing secret surveillance.
I've taken it from someone who has worked pump retail that you can pump your own unless you see the state's Weights and Measures folks around. Probably wanna avoid with a cop there too just in case.

roadman65

Is Temporary Banners ever going to be removed from Route 41? Considering it's a permanent route and NJDOT will never build it's intended alignment, why not remove the banners altogether or did engineers forget about it with every sign replacement ending up being a carbon copy?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.