Outer Banks NC "city meet" - April 30, 2022

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 01, 2019, 09:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: oscar on April 21, 2022, 12:54:14 AM
Hopefully, the new "jughandle" bridge over the east edge of Pamlico Sound near Rodanthe, between that free ferry crossing and the new Oregon Inlet bridge (opened 2019) and about a half-hour south of Nags Head, will be open to motor vehicle traffic by the time I get there.

Alas, looks like that will be postponed until mid-May.  https://www.wavy.com/news/north-carolina/obx/nc-12-bridge-near-rodanthe-at-outer-banks-to-open-later-this-month/

I'll still be passing through the Rodanthe area, on my way to Nags Head from the south.

UPDATE: Having done that, some suggestions for those thinking of checking out some stuff south of Nags Head:

-- The Rodanthe bridge is indeed not yet open to traffic. But you can see it from NC 12, facing west.

-- To get there, you'd travel the awesomely scenic Marc Basnight bridge over Oregon Inlet, which opened 2019 as a replacement for an older bridge. I encourage you to go at least that far.

-- It took me longer than usual to take the ferry between Ocracoke and Hatteras islands, more than an a hour plus wait time, since the channel between the islands is being dredged. Trying to include Ocracoke Island, or even the southern half (past Rodanthe) of Hatteras Island, would be pushing it for a day trip from Nags Head.

See ya tomorrow.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

A.J. Bertin

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who joined us in the Outer Banks yesterday!  I thought the long (2 1/2-year) wait was definitely worth it.  Hopefully everyone who attended agrees with me on that.  It was great to see several folks at lunch and dinner... and some for the sightseeing in between.  Hopefully everyone is having, or had, a safe and pleasant trip home.  :cool:
-A.J. from Michigan

74/171FAN

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on May 01, 2022, 05:28:34 PM
I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who joined us in the Outer Banks yesterday!  I thought the long (2 1/2-year) wait was definitely worth it.  Hopefully everyone who attended agrees with me on that.  It was great to see several folks at lunch and dinner... and some for the sightseeing in between.  Hopefully everyone is having, or had, a safe and pleasant trip home.  :cool:

Yep.  Thanks for everything AJ.  I am at my parents' house still waiting for the rain to pass before heading back to PA tomorrow.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

SSOWorld

I am happy that you got this through.  It's been a rough 2.5 years indeed.  Wishing myself to be there, but we both know acknowledge why I wasn't)

Looking forward to the potential future "city meets" you set up.  DIY isn't limited to home improvement and auto repair :-D
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 01, 2022, 08:34:07 PM
I am happy that you got this through.  It's been a rough 2.5 years indeed.  Wishing myself to be there, but we both know acknowledge why I wasn't)

Looking forward to the potential future "city meets" you set up.  DIY isn't limited to home improvement and auto repair :-D

Haha... thanks for saying that, Scott!  You certainly had a VERY good reason for not being able to attend this one. :)

As far as future "city meets" are concerned, I'm reasonably confident that I will host more of them in the future.  If I do host more, they will be similar to Providence where the starting and ending points will be in the same place... to make it easier for folks to ride together if they wish to do so and return to their individual vehicles at the end of their self-guided (small group?) tours.  Outer Banks was an exception to that because the lunch venue and dinner venue were in cities that were about 60 miles apart.  It's highly doubtful that I will host another "city meet" in the future that will have an arrangement like that.  It worked okay, but it will be good to get back to more of the Providence-style arrangement.
-A.J. from Michigan

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Glad I got to see some of my Michigan people at the meet. Forgot to show you my dark blue addition to my plate collection. Until next time!

oscar

Here's my photo of the lunch group in Nags Head. Steve went only to dinner in Elizabeth City, for which A.J. has the group photo.

http://www.alaskaroads.com/Outer-Banks-meet-lunch-group-photo-DSC_8916B.jpg (if the above hotlink doesn't work for you)

From left to right: Scott, Patrick, Matt, A.J. (meet host, in front), Sam, Brian, Mark, Oscar
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: oscar on May 06, 2022, 09:03:48 AM
Here's my photo of the lunch group in Nags Head. Steve went only to dinner in Elizabeth City, for which A.J. has the group photo.

http://www.alaskaroads.com/Outer-Banks-meet-lunch-group-photo-DSC_8916B.jpg (if the above hotlink doesn't work for you)

From left to right: Scott, Patrick, Matt, A.J. (meet host, in front), Sam, Brian, Mark, Oscar

Thanks for sharing this photo, Oscar!
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.