News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

Started by texaskdog, January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Beltway on January 01, 2020, 07:34:40 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2020, 04:34:42 PM
The phrase "there is a lot to unpack"  used by almost every commentator these days. 
The term "unpack" is used in many forums and discussion formats.

While it is 'minor', it is an annoying misuse of the language, using that instead of "analyze," "explain," etc.

You "unpack" something that is already "packed," like a suitcase, truck, etc.  You don't "unpack" something that has not been "packed."

Granted the phrase has fallen into common usage, I just hear mostly from sports commentators who use it as the most recent "buzz phrase."    Really it highlights the issue that sports casting has devolved into a contest of "who can create the next big catch phrase"  rather reporting stories straight and to the point.  Interestingly the problem was way more pronounced in game broadcasts a decade or so ago but that has become (at least from what I've observed) straight laced. 

SP Cook

Soccer -  The whole derivative idiocy.  Taking names from Euro teams that have meaning in their home cities that have not application to the US cities that use them.

Football - Taking of the "Da" discussion about, the uses of "Dawgs" by Cleveland.  First, of course, the rarely seen mascot is some sort of pixey, not a dog.  But "Dawgs" as it relates to The University of Georgia, is a play on the stereotypical Southern accent.  Cleveland is not in the South and nobody there pronounces the word that way.

NBA - ESPN, et al 's coverage of this simplistic, street-thug version of basketball is all about what sort of "statement" is made by some under-educated over-tall man when he scores in a defense free strategy free street game.  The POINT of basketball is to score.  Doing so is not a "statement" it is doing one's job.  What sort of "statement" does an auto worker make when he attaches the bumper properly?

Buck87

Quote from: SP Cook on January 01, 2020, 07:56:37 PM
But "Dawgs" as it relates to The University of Georgia, is a play on the stereotypical Southern accent.  Cleveland is not in the South and nobody there pronounces the word that way.

The whole Dawg Pound thing, with that particular spelling, was started by Browns cornerbacks Hanford Dixon and Frank Minnifield in 1985. Dixon is from Alabama, Minnifield is from Kentucky.   

wanderer2575

Not limited to sports:  The pouncing on a specific instance in the name of political correctness while ignoring other similar situations.

Sports example:  The self-indulgent protests over the Washington Redskins' team name, while the Kansas City Chiefs and its Tomahawk Chop are for the most part nowhere near the PC flavor of the day and therefore they're okay.

Brian556

When NT's wonder what's wrong with you when you tell them you are not really interested in sports

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 01, 2020, 08:38:09 PM
Not limited to sports:  The pouncing on a specific instance in the name of political correctness while ignoring other similar situations.

Sports example:  The self-indulgent protests over the Washington Redskins' team name, while the Kansas City Chiefs and its Tomahawk Chop are for the most part nowhere near the PC flavor of the day and therefore they're okay.

Suffice to say that the term "Red Skin or Redskin"  has really aged poorly given it essentially racist slang for describing a Native American.  A team carrying the name of "Chiefs"  really isn't all that disrespect taken in that singular context.  It probably doesn't hurt the Chiefs that their logo is simply an arrow.  There was a wave of controversy for awhile on the college level but a lot of those teams were named after specific tribes.  If I recall correctly some schools like Florida State even got the blessing from the Seminole Tribe to use their name and likeness. 

texaskdog

Quote from: Buck87 on January 01, 2020, 06:24:03 PM
Football coaches who suck at clock management

Announcers who suck at accurately describing clock management situations, and might say something like:
"And that first down will seal the game" ....when there's 1:48 left in the game and the team trailing by a score or less still has 2 timeouts left....and then they either seem surprised (or act like their mistake never happened) when the trailing team is set to receive a punt with 55 seconds on the clock and still has a chance at the end.

Yes, clock management, ONE JOB!

And "forced to punt".  I hate how often teams punt, coaches too worried about getting fired but then the announcers say "forced to punt".

texaskdog

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 01, 2020, 06:52:21 PM
Faking injuries.  Basketball players are the worse at this.  Football players can be the second worse.  At least in football they have to come out for 1 play, but sometimes the injury is so minor and the player probably would've come out of the series anyway that they don't even go get evaluated on the sideline.  Change this to the player has to come out for the series, or a set amount of time (12/15 minutes), and you'll see most of these fakes go away.

Baseball players, when they get injured, are usually injured.  The less serious injuries involves a few minutes of stoppage, but usually doesn't benefit either side. 

Hockey players, when injured, usually leave the game, are declared dead, get 170 stiches for massive loss of blood, receive an organ or limb transplant, and make it back to the bench to be on the ice for their next shift.

Uh, soccer players????  you touch them they act like they've been hit by car.

texaskdog

Quote from: Buck87 on January 01, 2020, 08:28:02 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on January 01, 2020, 07:56:37 PM
But "Dawgs" as it relates to The University of Georgia, is a play on the stereotypical Southern accent.  Cleveland is not in the South and nobody there pronounces the word that way.

The whole Dawg Pound thing, with that particular spelling, was started by Browns cornerbacks Hanford Dixon and Frank Minnifield in 1985. Dixon is from Alabama, Minnifield is from Kentucky.   

Everything having to do with the Browns.  There is no gap, the old team moved away and is actually winning.  And then they think they had a super bowl team this year. 

1995hoo

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 01, 2020, 07:29:50 PM
George Blaha incorrectly announcing the time left in a quarter. Instead of saying 8:38 to go the right way he says, 8 and 38 to go.

For years, NCAA Tournament commentator Len Elmore insisted on referring to how many "times out" a team had remaining. Drove me nuts. My sixth-grade teacher was the only other person I ever heard claim it should be "times out" instead of "timeouts."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Buck87

^ on that note, how about people who will say "he had 3 RBI tonight" instead of "he had 3 RBI's tonight"

texaskdog

Quote from: Buck87 on January 01, 2020, 09:16:59 PM
^ on that note, how about people who will say "he had 3 RBI tonight" instead of "he had 3 RBI's tonight"

like 2 pair of glasses or daylight saving time.  It just sounds stupid.

Beltway

A run batted in (RBI), plural runs batted in (RBI or RBIs), is a statistic in baseball and softball that credits a batter for making a play that allows a run to be scored (except in certain situations such as when an error is made on the play).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_batted_in
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

thspfc

Quote from: Beltway on January 01, 2020, 09:20:35 PM

A run batted in (RBI), plural runs batted in (RBI or RBIs), is a statistic in baseball and softball that credits a batter for making a play that allows a run to be scored (except in certain situations such as when an error is made on the play).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_batted_in
RsBI

texaskdog

Jag-WIRES  ugh.  Punting on 4th and 1 (or even 4th & 2).  Icing the kicker.  "walk offs". 

kurumi

Greg Papa's touchdown call for the 49ers:

https://twitter.com/knbr/status/1171144217642426368

"Touchdown.... San!      Fran!      Ciscoooooo!"

I like the 9ers and don't like that call. Imagine a Seahawks or Rams fan hearing it on a highlight.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on January 01, 2020, 09:28:34 PM
Jag-WIRES  ugh.  Punting on 4th and 1 (or even 4th & 2).  Icing the kicker.  "walk offs".

As opposed to how it's often pronounced like the British car marque?  "Jag-u-ar"

texaskdog

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2020, 09:38:01 PM

As opposed to how it's often pronounced like the British car marque?  "Jag-u-ar"

Jag-war.    The Jag-wire people are the worst: Jim Nancy, Ronn Culver (whose show I listen to until about 3 third time he says Jagwire and I have to change the channel)

In fact they should just change the name of the team.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on January 01, 2020, 09:40:29 PM

Jag-war.    The Jag-wire people are the worst: Jim Nancy, Ronn Culver (whose show I listen to until about 3 third time he says Jagwire and I have to change the channel)

In fact they should just change the name of the team.

Jag-wire is kind of akin to what I was getting at with "Warshington"  above.  I don't understand how either word can be mispronounced but it definitely is by a lot of regional dialects. 

Beltway

Aluminum -- al-u-min-e-um

(Robert Coté, 2002)

texaskdog

Quote from: kurumi on January 01, 2020, 09:37:41 PM
Greg Papa's touchdown call for the 49ers:

https://twitter.com/knbr/status/1171144217642426368

"Touchdown.... San!      Fran!      Ciscoooooo!"

I like the 9ers and don't like that call. Imagine a Seahawks or Rams fan hearing it on a highlight.

Annoying Seahawk fans is fun.  They get this reputation about loyalty but they bail faster than any fans to get to the exits.

Buck87

Quote from: Beltway on January 01, 2020, 09:49:57 PM

That one's actually a spelling difference between American and British English

the Brits spell it Aluminium

texaskdog

I honestly wish announcers could be homers.  I think radio broadcasts are a little bit more like that.  If I'm watching the Cowboys play and I'm in Texas why can't we got local announcers. 

And on that topic, TV announcers don't need to talk as much as radio announcers, we can see the plays. 

wanderer2575

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2020, 08:53:17 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 01, 2020, 08:38:09 PM

Suffice to say that the term "Red Skin or Redskin"  has really aged poorly given it essentially racist slang for describing a Native American.  A team carrying the name of "Chiefs"  really isn't all that disrespect taken in that singular context.  It probably doesn't hurt the Chiefs that their logo is simply an arrow.  There was a wave of controversy for awhile on the college level but a lot of those teams were named after specific tribes.  If I recall correctly some schools like Florida State even got the blessing from the Seminole Tribe to use their name and likeness.

As did the Central Michigan University Chippewas, although a few decades ago the school dropped all Indian-themed logos and the Marching Chippewas dropped the war chant from its repertoire of music vignettes it plays in the stands.  Doesn't change my point about convenient selectivity.  The Chiefs name and an arrow logo are clearly Indian-themed and a stereotype, certainly as is the Tomahawk Chop, but most people pitching a fit are too focused on the Redskins.

Beltway

Quote from: Buck87 on January 01, 2020, 09:53:10 PM
Quote from: Beltway on January 01, 2020, 09:49:57 PM
That one's actually a spelling difference between American and British English
the Brits spell it Aluminium

Like with color and colour?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.