News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Denver to Albuquerque

Started by jander, April 18, 2021, 07:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jander

Is Denver to Albuquerque a fun road tip?  Any alternative or very scenic routes?  What do you think?

Max Rockatansky

Not if you take I-25.  You have all sorts of stuff you can chain in like CO 5, Pikes Peak Highway and the Great Sand Dunes if you don't mind going a little bit west.

Flint1979

I think I'd take US-285 to NM-14.

usends

Quote from: jander on April 18, 2021, 07:50:48 PM
Is Denver to Albuquerque a fun road tip?  Any alternative or very scenic routes?  What do you think?
I consider I-25 between Denver and ABQ to be among the more scenic interstates.  However, if you go at the wrong time, traffic between Denver and the Springs can be pretty frustrating.  If you're looking for something slower-paced and even more scenic, use US 285 from Denver to Santa Fe.  Then use NM 14 from Santa Fe to ABQ.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

ClassicHasClass

I did I-25 between Albuquerque and Buffalo, WY recently. It's pretty territory but you can get bogged down in the Denver area. Still, I've got almost all of I-25 clinched now except for the stretch between Albuquerque and Las Cruces.

JayhawkCO

If time isn't the main issue, I'd do something like:
US285 South to near Saguache
CO17 South to Alamosa
US160 East to Fort Garland
CO159 South to New Mexico
NM522 South to El Prado
US64 East to Taos
NM68 West to Ranchos de Taos
NM518 South to Vadito
NM75 West to Picuris Pueblo
NM76 South to Rio Chiquito
NM503 South to Pojoaque
US84/285 East/South to Santa Fe
I-25 South to Albuquerque

Hits some of the more scenic areas in Northern New Mexico and through the very pretty Buena Vista/Salida area in Colorado.

Chris

zzcarp

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 19, 2021, 10:16:58 AM
If time isn't the main issue, I'd do something like:
US285 South to near Saguache
CO17 South to Alamosa
US160 East to Fort Garland
CO159 South to New Mexico
NM522 South to El Prado
US64 East to Taos
NM68 West to Ranchos de Taos
NM518 South to Vadito
NM75 West to Picuris Pueblo
NM76 South to Rio Chiquito
NM503 South to Pojoaque
US84/285 East/South to Santa Fe
I-25 South to Albuquerque

Hits some of the more scenic areas in Northern New Mexico and through the very pretty Buena Vista/Salida area in Colorado.

Chris

I second (or third or fourth) US 285 (with the CO-17 cutoff north of Alamosa) from Santa Fe to Denver. The time is about exactly the same as I-25 as I-25 is significantly longer mileage-wise (even with a faster speed limit) due to the reverse direction P-trap over Glorietta Pass.

That said, I-25 is a pretty drive and you can stop near Pecos and visit the civil war battlefield for the Battle of Glorietta Pass which is known as the "Gettysburg of the west". While it doesn't live up to the scale and loss of the Gettysburg battle, Glorietta Pass was the western high water mark of the Confederacy, and the Union victory there forced the Confederates to retreat back to southern New Mexico.
So many miles and so many roads

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.