News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexandriaVA

I figured that was the case....thanks.

froggie

The numbering scheme gets brought up in the local media at least once a year.  Long story short, changing things would be just as confusing as leaving them as-is.

Mapmikey

Renumbering was seriously considered in the 1990s:

In May 1996 (CTB), VDOT presented 4 options to renumber the interstates in the Hampton Roads area:
1. Extend I-664 around to I-264/VA 44 and replace VA 44 with I-64
2. Extend I-664 around to I-264/VA 44 and replace VA 44 with I-664
3. Replace I-664 with I-64 and replace VA 44 with I-64; Replace I-64 across HRBT to I-264/VA 44 with I-664
4. Replace I-664 with I-64 and replace VA 44 with I-64; Replace I-64 across HRBT to I-264/VA 44 with I-864
The CTB deferred action to June 1996 whereby they elected to defer again. There was no further mention of anything related to this until they renumbered VA 44 as I-264 in Aug 1997.

I have not seen anything in CTB minutes since then...

I thought option 1 made the most sense of the 4 above...

davewiecking

ran4sh

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 10, 2021, 09:46:26 AM
Renumbering was seriously considered in the 1990s:

In May 1996 (CTB), VDOT presented 4 options to renumber the interstates in the Hampton Roads area:
1. Extend I-664 around to I-264/VA 44 and replace VA 44 with I-64
2. Extend I-664 around to I-264/VA 44 and replace VA 44 with I-664
3. Replace I-664 with I-64 and replace VA 44 with I-64; Replace I-64 across HRBT to I-264/VA 44 with I-664
4. Replace I-664 with I-64 and replace VA 44 with I-64; Replace I-64 across HRBT to I-264/VA 44 with I-864
The CTB deferred action to June 1996 whereby they elected to defer again. There was no further mention of anything related to this until they renumbered VA 44 as I-264 in Aug 1997.

I have not seen anything in CTB minutes since then...

I thought option 1 made the most sense of the 4 above...

I agree, if there were to be a renumbering I would pick option 1 also, as it extends I-64 to Virginia Beach along the most logical existing route. (The most confusing part of the existing numbering, at least for those who are not from the area, is how I-64 East ends facing west, and I'm aware that I-64 is posted without east/west directions south of I-264, but that is not an ideal solution.)
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

plain

The Forest Hill Ave reconstruction in Richmond is FINALLY complete. Seriously could've done without installing the WOODEN UTILITY POLES IN THE MEDIAN though. Seriously Richmond we're supposed to be moving AWAY from this dumb shit!
Newark born, Richmond bred

Bitmapped

Quote from: plain on December 15, 2021, 06:33:55 PM
The Forest Hill Ave reconstruction in Richmond is FINALLY complete. Seriously could've done without installing the WOODEN UTILITY POLES IN THE MEDIAN though. Seriously Richmond we're supposed to be moving AWAY from this dumb shit!

Utility lines are expensive to bury. You have the materials and labor costs for trenching the new line, the work to keep existing lines in service as you transition, plus the cost of replacing all of your transformers and other pole-mounted gadgetry. Putting the new poles in the median is an odd choice, I assume constrained by ROW, but relocating existing above-ground utilities tends to be the default option for a reason.

74/171FAN

Well it turns out I drove new passing lanes on VA 3 in Westmoreland County when I clinched it Thursday.  (https://virginiadot.org/newsroom/fredericksburg/2021/passing-lanes-open-on-route-3-in-westmoreland-county12-3-2021.asp)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

sprjus4

For some reason, I can't help but feel that interchange design is overly complicated for what it needs to be.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 20, 2021, 12:16:25 PM
For some reason, I can't help but feel that interchange design is overly complicated for what it needs to be.

Yeah. I don't doubt that an interchange there would be helpful, but this design seems needlessly complicated.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Jmiles32

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 20, 2021, 03:43:28 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on December 20, 2021, 12:16:25 PM

Yeah. I don't doubt that an interchange there would be helpful, but this design seems needlessly complicated.

$55 million for the removal of two lights on the Prince William Parkway sounds like a pretty good deal to me, especially when you compare it to the still unfunded interchange at Sudely Manor Drive (would also remove the light at Wellington Road) that was projected last time I checked to cost more than three times this ($180 million). Regarding the complexity of the interchange, I actually think that this design was the cheapest alternative in which you could still get full grade separation for VA-234. Seems to me that most of the "unhappiness" is coming bike advocates who want the currently planned at-grade trail crossings on the exit ramps to be eliminated which imo is understandable, but just hopefully not at a cost of $8 million or more.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

NJRoadfan

How terrible is I-95 going south in NoVA these days on a typical weekday morning? Heading to NC tomorrow and need to decide between that and US-301. Checking traffic this morning didn't look too promising. Did VDOT ever change the traffic pattern at Exit 130, or is it still squeezing down to a few lanes?

famartin

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 22, 2021, 04:54:06 PM
How terrible is I-95 going south in NoVA these days on a typical weekday morning? Heading to NC tomorrow and need to decide between that and US-301. Checking traffic this morning didn't look too promising. Did VDOT ever change the traffic pattern at Exit 130, or is it still squeezing down to a few lanes?

Not horrible typically, BUT tomorrow will have extra getaway traffic, so I doubt tomorrow will be typical.

Mapmikey

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 22, 2021, 04:54:06 PM

Suggest checking this right before you have to decide - https://www.sigalert.com/Map.asp?lat=38.2658&lon=-77.04977&z=3

Traffic can also be seen at https://wtop.com/traffic/

I don't know if they have gotten rid of the temporary lane drop on the mainline of I-95 just south of VA 3.  Project website gives a general Dec 2021 as the expected date to do it.  The nearest camera is inconclusive at night.

It will almost certainly be busy.  I left work early today and 95 in both directions at 2 pm between Fredericksburg and the beltway were terrible.

sprjus4

I-64 widening on Peninsula complete as VDOT marks end of 26-mile project: "˜A life-changing event'
QuoteYORK – The Virginia Department of Transportation commemorated the completion of its six-year Interstate 64 widening project, built in three segments, with a ceremonial ribbon-cutting Monday morning on the Peninsula.

The event, which took place under the newly constructed bypass bridge along the Colonial Parkway in York, brought out state officials including state Secretary of Transportation Shannon Valentine, U.S. Rep. Elaine Luria, D-Norfolk, state Sen. Monty Mason, D-Williamsburg, VDOT Commissioner Stephen Brich, Hampton Roads Transportation Accountability Chair and Hampton Mayor Donnie Tuck and HRTA Commissioner Thomas Shepperd – all of whom played a role in the project's completion.

"Today marks the completion of the third segment of the I-64 widening project adding a third lane for 8 miles,"  Valentine said. "The widening of I-64 is an investment in the vitality of the Port of Virginia, industry, workforce, tourism, the mobility of our citizens and the economic competitiveness of this region."

The $520 million project, which began in 2015, includes 26 miles of I-64 widened with the addition of a third lane from Exit 234 to Exit 255. The project went through Newport News and York and James City counties. According to Valentine, it was a bipartisan effort that was delivered on time and on budget.

With roughly 5,000 to 7,000 trucks passing between Richmond and Hampton Roads along I-64 each day, the purpose of the expansion was to help relieve congestion and increase reliability for commuters.

"This is literally a life-changing event for people in Hampton Roads, Newport News, Williamsburg and Richmond and our guests and our tourism park visitors who come here each and every week,"  Mason said during the ceremony. "This is the gold standard."

According to Mason, the project would not have been possible without the numerous hands that helped design, engineer and construct the roadway as well as the taxpayers who funded its completion.

The Hampton Roads Transportation Accountability Commission, a group comprised of locally elected officials formed in 2014 through legislative action, determines how regional money will be invested in transportation projects.

To date, the commission has invested $4.7 billion into the region's infrastructure – $311 million of which went toward the widening project.

According to Tuck, HRTAC was the largest funding partner in all of the I-64 widening projects and the commission plans to continue its efforts to alleviate congestion across Hampton Roads.

"While this is the final of the three Peninsula I-64 projects funded by HRTAC, more interstate improvements are still to come,"  Tuck said.

In spring 2015, VDOT began the first segment of the widening project which included $101.5 million committed to widening the interstate between Exit 247 to Exit 255 in Newport News. Contracting firm Shirley Contracting Co. LLC completed the segment in December 2017. According to Brich, contractors completed the first segment on time and on budget.

The second segment of the widening project began in fall 2016 and included a roadway widening from Exit 247 to Exit 242 in York. The contracting firm Allan Myers Va. Inc. completed the project in fall 2019 at an approximate cost of $176 million.

The third and final segment, which added an additional lane between Exit 234 at Lightfoot and Exit 242 in York, began in summer 2018. With a total estimated cost of $244 million, Shirley Contracting LLC completed the project in November.

With local, state and federal funding for the project, Luria said the project was a bipartisan effort that saw support from both sides of the aisle. Additionally, Luria said she anticipates future projects following the committed $110 billion federal infrastructure package dedicated to the states' roads, bridges and tunnels.

"I think this is something we should all be proud of as Virginians today,"  Luria said.

The 26 mile figure isn't quite accurate - the 3 segments on the Peninsula totaled to 21 miles. I believe they are getting the 26 mile figure from including the Exit 200 to 205 widening that occurred outside of Richmond back in 2019. The point still stands, however.

There are now roughly 28 miles of 4 lane interstate highway remaining between Exit 205 and 234 that need to be widened to 6 lanes.

I drove through the completed project (Segment 3) roughly a month ago, it was a smooth ride with easily free flowing traffic, and the speed limit was restored back to 70 mph.

sprjus4

It was just completed a month ago, but new December 2021 Street View is now available showing the completed westbound lanes of I-64 Segment 3.

tolbs17

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 29, 2021, 03:36:28 PM
The new High Rise bridge is coming along nicely...

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.7580547,-76.2980077,3a,69.3y,109.73h,90.77t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sZQD590n-OhSD6spLOcx1xQ!2e0!5s20211201T000000!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1
Meanwhile the landside widening continues at a snails pace. It's at least 1-2 years behind original schedule now, the whole project.

Jaxrunner

The new widened I 64 looks great. I was stationed in Hampton Roads 10 years ago and remember all the accidents that occurred on that stretch of highway. Always seemed to be bad at MM 254 where the road goes from 8 lanes down to 4 and around Busch Gardens. The one think that really makes it look different is the trees in the median gone. Looks like a new highway.

sprjus4

Quote from: Jaxrunner on December 30, 2021, 01:38:37 AM
The new widened I 64 looks great. I was stationed in Hampton Roads 10 years ago and remember all the accidents that occurred on that stretch of highway. Always seemed to be bad at MM 254 where the road goes from 8 lanes down to 4 and around Busch Gardens. The one think that really makes it look different is the trees in the median gone. Looks like a new highway.
It truly has made a significant difference. That whole segment used to a major bottleneck - more so than the rural segment west of Williamsburg, and now it just flies at 75-80 mph even during peak hours.

I especially recall all the congestion that occurred when that first segment was under construction, all the rush hour traffic screeching to a halt when 8 lanes dropped to 4 at Jefferson, then an inconsistent flow until you got towards Yorktown and Williamsburg. All of those issues are virtually nonexistent anymore, and it's great.

Another slight issue that was occurring before was the Segment 3 work zone bottling traffic down to 55-65 mph, and the fact that heavy traffic would never accelerate to the 70 mph speed limit once you got passed VA-199 and the work zone ended. Hopefully now with the speed limit never dropping anymore and no more work zones, it isn't as bad of an issue. I've only driven it once since it's been complete, and traffic seemed to hold 75-80 mph even once it condensed to 4 lanes. Hopefully that's the norm nowadays - at least until the next segment gets funded and underway which cannot happen any sooner.

plain

While going through the Valentine Museum's archives once again earlier for some pics, I came across another shot of the RUNAWAY TRUCK RAMP on I-95. There's no date, but the NY Box-style rail is in the median, so I would put this between 1976 (or more likely 1981) and 1986.

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

EDIT: Then again, that might have been the Jersey barrier, but the median looks grassy. This could be right around 1985-86.
Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

Great find. Thanks for posting.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

The scene this morning near, but not quite at, our favorite spot on I-395.

https://twitter.com/STATter911/status/1478027295487148039
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.