News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois Road Videos

Started by Crash_It, October 24, 2021, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade

I'll stay out of this one.  Have at him.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 18, 2021, 10:24:45 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 18, 2021, 08:53:49 AM
Quote from: Crash_It on November 17, 2021, 06:07:53 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 17, 2021, 06:04:10 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on November 17, 2021, 02:36:03 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 17, 2021, 12:43:13 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 16, 2021, 10:30:04 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 16, 2021, 10:25:46 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on November 16, 2021, 06:41:29 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on November 16, 2021, 06:17:32 PM
The world's most beautiful drive

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  Illinois' most beautiful drive? Maybe.  But I can be on 30 more beautiful drives within an hour of my house.
Psst.  This is Crash_It.  Some form of this complaint has been made over and over again and he doesn't care. 

Better to ignore his videos altogether.

Or give it a quick thumbs down, many do.

From what I've heard about the latest episode the video is taken basically at sundown and has a heavy amount of glare.  The huge ball of ionized gas coupled with massive windshield glare can be seen in the thumbnail for the video beforehand.  Clearly we are not dealing with the elite of driving tour videos.

Ah, so Crash_It is the reason YouTube is hiding dislikes!

Emphasis mine.

To cut down on dislike attacks. My videos are no different from others in this field.

Could it not be you just dug yourself an insurmountable hole in terms of having no credibility in the road world?  You brought all this negative attention onto yourself by your actions and attitude towards anyone who questions the things you do.

We can all agree to disagree. Just because I explain and defend my actions doesn't make it a crime. I get falsely accused of things all the time. I mistook this forum as one where all dashcam videos can be shared and that was my mistake.

You didn't mistake it. AFAIK you are free to share any videos you like. But if you are showing videos criticizing the actions of others, it's reasonable to expect criticism of your own statements and actions.

Unless the moderators have contacted you privately and asked/told you not to share your "bad driving" videos; which, if so, is information to which the rest of us aren't privy.

Also, having a clear illogical disdain for out of state drivers (particularly Wisconsin) doesn't exactly lend itself well towards having people take the OP seriously.  Example; your latest video title clearly shows a dislike for Michigan drivers.

It's not really a dislike. I welcome drivers from all states. It's the ones that come here and be aggressive or don't own up to their shortcomings that I have problems with. When you come to a different state, you are a visitor and are expected to treat the residents with respect. That's what I do when I'm in Indiana visiting my ex girlfriend. If someone in Indiana came from behind me like I did with that Michigan driver.. I would speed up and move out of their way. Of course then the problem is telling a native Indiana driver apart from a Michigan driver because neither of them have front plates.

Scott5114

You treat other drivers differently based on their license plates? Why? It's gonna hurt just as much if you get in an accident with a Michigander as if you hit a car from any other state.

I sigh and roll my eyes when a Texan pulls a boneheaded maneuver, and might yell something about staying on their side of the river, but I don't drive any different around them because they have Texas plates.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

It's not like your average Illinois driver is going to be anymore skilled behind the wheel or less so than their counterparts from neighboring states.  So why the illogical Illinois tribalism?  Does it actually help promote the brand with some other crowd?

Rothman

Quote from: Crash_It on November 18, 2021, 12:58:56 PM

When you come to a different state, you are a visitor and are expected to treat the residents with respect. That's what I do when I'm in Indiana visiting my ex girlfriend.

Are we going to talk about this or just let this one go? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on November 18, 2021, 04:22:45 PM

When you come to a different state, you are a visitor and are expected to treat the residents with respect. That's what I do when I'm in Indiana visiting my ex girlfriend.

I kind of did the whole, "If you don't have anything nice to say..." thing.  I'm trying to be a kinder, gentler, AARoads poster.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on November 18, 2021, 04:22:45 PM

The ex girlfriend thing or visitors cowering to the locals ("respect" ) thing?  If it's the latter I'm kind of amused that the concept of "FIBs"  seems to be totally lost on the OP.

Crash_It

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 18, 2021, 03:05:55 PM
You treat other drivers differently based on their license plates? Why? It's gonna hurt just as much if you get in an accident with a Michigander as if you hit a car from any other state.

I sigh and roll my eyes when a Texan pulls a boneheaded maneuver, and might yell something about staying on their side of the river, but I don't drive any different around them because they have Texas plates.

If that driver was an Illinois driver doing the same I would've flashed the brights too. It's nothing different, no one should react the way that Michigan driver did but obviously it's especially worse because he's not from the area yet acted that way.In fact, earlier in the week I flashed an IL driver for going slow and they just moved out of the way.  But, I would like for this thread to remain about my regular driving videos. Discussion about the road rage or regular bad driver compilations should remain in the thread about that.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on November 18, 2021, 05:00:51 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 18, 2021, 03:05:55 PM

If that driver was an Illinois driver doing the same I would've flashed the brights too. It's nothing different, no one should react the way that Michigan driver did but obviously it's especially worse because he's not from the area yet acted that way.In fact, earlier in the week I flashed an IL driver for going slow and they just moved out of the way.  But, I would like for this thread to remain about my regular driving videos. Discussion about the road rage or regular bad driver compilations should remain in the thread about that.

Then what was the point of emphasizing it was a Michigan driver in the video title?  There certainly is causality to believe there is some sort out of state bias when you look at the totality of what you post.  How does the place of origin have anything to do with how a person acts?

thspfc

For what it's worth, Michigan drivers are even worse than Illinois drivers in my experiences.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on November 18, 2021, 06:46:56 PM
For what it's worth, Michigan drivers are even worse than Illinois drivers in my experiences.

Personally I've found virtually no variance in the average drivers from any given state.  Certainly not to the degree where I would rank a overall particular state population as exceptional or unique.

hotdogPi

It could still be useful for determining which direction they'll go. Also which drivers can and can't drive in snow.

I also think there's a "low speed limit" effect from Quebec, Vermont, and the North Country of New York where they drive slowly even in other areas.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

US 89

The low speed limit effect is real. If you see someone going 50mph on the freeway in Salt Lake City, chances are probably better than 50/50 that they have Oregon plates.

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 18, 2021, 06:51:23 PM

Personally I've found virtually no variance in the average drivers from any given state.  Certainly not to the degree where I would rank a overall particular state population as exceptional or unique.

Except Ohio. I've learned that if you encounter a LLB in either Kentucky or West Virginia, even the average non-roadgeek citizen will acknowledge in the affirmative if you indicate that they're probably from Ohio.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

I'm a firm believer that we have more accidents in Colorado just because it's such a melting pot.  Since everyone has been (and still is) moving here from other states, we have Texas driving culture, California driving culture, Mountain driving culture, etc. all mixed up into one.  It's pretty common to have someone whiz by you at 95 while you're in the middle lane passing someone going 55 in a 65. (Maybe they're just high.)

When I was last driving through NYC, I had people getting over in front of me with inches, not feet to spare, but it just seemed like that's what everyone does since it's so congested.  Maybe less accidents per capita because everyone knows what to expect and acts accordingly.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 19, 2021, 10:08:16 AM
I'm a firm believer that we have more accidents in Colorado just because it's such a melting pot.  Since everyone has been (and still is) moving here from other states, we have Texas driving culture, California driving culture, Mountain driving culture, etc. all mixed up into one.  It's pretty common to have someone whiz by you at 95 while you're in the middle lane passing someone going 55 in a 65. (Maybe they're just high.)

agentsteel53 said back when he was still active that after driving around the entire country, the worst place to drive regarding bad drivers was Miami for the same reason (so many different cultures).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1 on November 19, 2021, 10:10:57 AM
Quote from: jayhawkco on November 19, 2021, 10:08:16 AM

agentsteel53 said back when he was still active that after driving around the entire country, the worst place to drive regarding bad drivers was Miami for the same reason (so many different cultures).

Yeah, it's been probably 10 years since I was driving myself in Miami, but I would tend to agree that it's up there on the list of worst drivers, especially on the highways.  City streets I didn't notice as much.

Crash_It

Forgot to drop this in... released yesterday. Interstate 74 in Peoria.

https://youtu.be/FHhyadQ4Rmk

Max Rockatansky

Boo...not enough Entenmann's delivery trucks...  X-(

Max Rockatansky

I guess antagonizing the Facebook truck groups wasn't such a hot idea after all:

https://fb.watch/cA3yVhf_Xh/

JoePCool14

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2022, 03:34:58 PM
I guess antagonizing the Facebook truck groups wasn't such a hot idea after all:

Crash won't be happy until he is the only one on the road.

But even then he wouldn't be happy. He wouldn't have anyone to honk at and make videos of.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 23, 2022, 03:43:18 PM

But even then he wouldn't be happy. He wouldn't have anyone to honk at and make videos of.

With all that flatness I'm just shocked that the trucker (probably from the evil state of Wisconsin) couldn't see him from several blocks away.

formulanone

There's definitely a rural/urban split, but most large cities' driving practices are limited to a small handful in almost all cases. There's arrogant and inept drivers nearly everywhere, I figure that there's going to be more where there's obviously more drivers, and attitudes getting more inflamed when speeds and conditions are not steady.

After a while, I just know where and when I have to "flip the switch" and change driving habits somewhat, unless conditions tell me otherwise.

dlsterner

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2022, 03:45:19 PM

With all that flatness I'm just shocked that the trucker (probably from the evil state of Wisconsin) couldn't see him from several blocks away.

Trucker probably also working for Entenmann's ...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dlsterner on April 23, 2022, 07:08:23 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2022, 03:45:19 PM

Trucker probably also working for Entenmann's ...

Revenge is best served when it was filmed a year ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.