Road Closure due to Inclement Weather

Started by jlam, December 27, 2021, 12:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 04, 2022, 08:13:02 PM
I-95 in Virginia somewhere between Richmond and DC was closed last night due to snow.

Most of the day today too. Exit 152 to Exit 104.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bruce

Cross-state travel in Oregon was cut off by the closure of a few cross-Cascades routes this week, including I-84 and US 26.

MikieTimT

Quote from: kkt on December 31, 2021, 04:46:27 PM

I-40 is almost always open...

I-40 is the northernmost Interstate that almost never is closed due to winter weather as it transits the Continental Divide at a relatively low elevation.  However, it has been rather bad about having bridge issues in Oklahoma, Arkansas/Tennessee, and North Carolina that have resulted in some rather painful detours, either over tiny state roads through small towns due to a barge strike collapsing the span, ancient and congested alternate Interstate river crossings due to stress fractures of fracture critical members, or detours over a hundred miles for almost a week for westbound traffic in the gap due to decking decay in NC's case.

SkyPesos

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 04, 2022, 08:33:36 PM
I-95 in Virginia somewhere between Richmond and DC was closed last night due to snow.

Yikes. How were traffic conditions on some of the alternative routes to that stretch of I-95, namely US 301?

1995hoo

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 04, 2022, 10:23:21 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 04, 2022, 08:33:36 PM

Yikes. How were traffic conditions on some of the alternative routes to that stretch of I-95, namely US 301?

Haven't seen much TV coverage about 301, but US-1 was slammed and didn't really work well as a bailout route.

Edited to add this from a local radio reporter. Elsewhere, he says a lot of gas stations along Route 1 are low on, or out of, fuel.

https://twitter.com/augensteinwtop/status/1478703040697880578?s=21
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

regardless of weather, US 1 never works well as a bailout route when I-95 is completely closed in one or both directions.

VA 2 between Richmond and Fredericksburg, however, is almost always terrific.

Once you are north of Fredericksburg there aren't many options, even with secondary routes, due to Quantico MCB's large footprint west of I-95.  A couple do exist that will take you to I-66 in the Manassas area but with I-66 under heavy construction this can result in getting stuck there instead.  There is also one that can get you from Triangle/Dumfries to the Braddock Rd interchange at I-495 but the northern half of this is usually pretty crowded.

jeffandnicole

Technically wasn't due to snow itself, but rather all the accidents, jack-knifed tractor trailers, abandoned vehicles and other incidents from the snow that jammed the highway, making it impossible to easily clear. 

Rothman

I-80 had a closure today in Wyoming.

In other news, water is wet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wanderer2575

The Mackinac Bridge in Michigan usually gets closed a couple times each winter because of ice falling from the cables.

Ted$8roadFan

Several restrictions on MA highways today dye to inclement weather.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.