News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways Clinched on foot

Started by Max Rockatansky, January 27, 2022, 03:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

I can't think of any I have clinched on foot.

On bicycle? Many hundreds at this point. Almost 500 spread over seven states. Some of them like MA 27 (at 73 miles) done all at once in a single ride.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 28, 2022, 06:25:31 PM
VA-412 in Blacksburg.  I had also clinched VA-314, but now there is a new leg on the north side of Prices Fork Road (SR-685 at this point) that runs between the US-460 Bypass and the Holiday Inn Express.  It looks like Virginia Tech is currently in the process of extending this section of VA-314 further north.  Mark it as another Unclinched!

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 28, 2022, 07:33:46 PM
Do you have photographic evidence of this?  The VA 314 segment west of US 460 and south of Prices Fork Rd on Plantation Rd has been there as long as I can remember.

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 29, 2022, 10:55:26 PM
Indeed, Plantation Road is a much older section of VA-314 south of Prices Fork Road.  This section of VA-314 north of Prices Fork is not the northern part of Plantation Road, but rather a "frontage road" located closer to the [southbound] offramp from the US-460 Bypass.  I'm using Ducky (which is currently sending me to Apple Maps), so here is the link: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=holiday+inn+express%2C+blacksburg+va&t=h_&ia=web&iaxm=places

You will need to flip over to Satellite mode.  That very short stretch of VA-314 stubs into a circular lot that is currently being used for construction staging.  It looks like Virginia Tech is building a good size complex behind the Holiday Inn Express. 

For the record, this is not the only section of VA-314 that I would need to walk to reclinch it.  There were also some changes to the Southgate campus entrance when the interchange was constructed there.  I've driven through that, but wasn't thinking about reclinching when I was there last time.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 30, 2022, 05:00:54 PM
I wonder how mapmikey would be able to find more information on this...

Large state entities in Virginia often construct these roads as part of capital projects, then turn the road "over to the State" (ergo, VDOT) when complete (similar to how developers build roads for large subdivisions and turn them over to VDOT for maintenance).  Oddly, the facility that Virginia Tech has recently constructed is for [de-icing compound] storage and salt trucks.  Which is needed for the large parking lots and other alleys that are not maintained by VDOT as part of VA-314.

Back to the thread, it is a total quirk that I ever clinched VA-314 on foot.  Nobody in their right mind would ever walk out to the Southgate entrance.   But I wanted to check out the progress on the construction of the (then) new Veterinary Medicine campus.  Once there, I decided to check out the (then) new signs and maps at the Southgate visitor entrance, which are still a good distance away from the US-460 Bypass.  At the Southgate, I saw a stranded vehicle on the Bypass and walked out to help.  Unknowingly, I clinched all of VA-314 in the process. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on January 31, 2022, 02:37:44 PM
I can't think of any I have clinched on foot.

On bicycle? Many hundreds at this point. Almost 500 spread over seven states. Some of them like MA 27 (at 73 miles) done all at once in a single ride.

On a bike I think all I have is M-185.  I've always been way more into running and hiking than cycling.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.