Your preference for highway service stops?

Started by hbelkins, February 09, 2022, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one do you prefer when traveling a limited-access highway (freeway/expressway/Interstate/toll road) if you need to stop for gas, food, or snacks? And why?

Traditional commercial businesses located off the highway at an exit
11 (26.8%)
Service plazas along the route located in the ROW and administered by the official agency
9 (22%)
No preference, I just stop whenever the need arises
21 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

hbelkins

Based on the discussion about using service plaza revenues to fund road projects, and past discussions on the subject, here's a poll.

If you have a preference between service plazas or traditional off-highway businesses located at exits, what is it? And why do you have that preference?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

I've found plazas to be way more busy than off highway counterparts (especially Florida's Turnpike).  I generally go for whatever will get on my nerves the least which generally is the least busy option.

skluth

It depends on how I feel that particular day. I tend to avoid them but I'll stop if the need arises. It's been years since I've been on a toll road long enough to need a gas refill.

kalvado

I don't think there is that much choice. On Thruway, at least, there seems to be fewer off-exit businesses as plazas capture a lot of traffic. So there is no expectation that there are decent services once you exit. I'll happily stop for lunch at Pilot for a known decent spot, but there are very few major truck stops along Thruway 

Rothman

I will stop at plazas just out of convenience.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

On non-toll roads:

-Generally if I'm driving an unfamiliar road, I'll look for the most obnoxious billboards for Love's/Flying J/whatever flavor of megastop. These are usually newer, spacier, easier in/out.

-On roads I know well, I've generally identified the easiest stopping points for my needs and don't stray too far from them.

Toll roads:

-If it's Illinois, I don't really mind getting off because they have the multi-plaza system. If I'm driving something with a closed ticket system, I often stay with oases so I don't have to pay to exit, get another ticket, pay again later, etc.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Big John

With a closed ticket system, do time stamps catch you for speeding if you arrive too early?  :hmmm: I usually stop at a service plaza even if just to rest a bit just to be on the safe side.

oscar

I have a mild preference for easy exit/easy return service plazas, if one is available where and when I need one. Some toll roads, such as the New Jersey Turnpike, have enough plazas for me to plan my pit stops around them. Other highways (especially non-tolled routes), not so much.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ozarkman417

For most toll roads I've been on, I've stopped at a plaza located on its ROW. Exceptions: Northern Illinois toll system, WV turnpike (maybe, I can't remember). What will often times lead me to stop at one of these stations is if there are multiple restaurant options to choose from. Otherwise if I'd rather eat a particular restaurant I've looked up in advance or if gas is cheap farther from the highway, I'm going to get off the highway. Though by no coincidence, toll roads have their exits spread farther out. I'd rather eat at one of the options at one of the PA Turnpike rest stops than stop in nearby Breezewood, for so many options in a single building.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Big John on February 09, 2022, 11:08:23 PM
With a closed ticket system, do time stamps catch you for speeding if you arrive too early?  :hmmm: I usually stop at a service plaza even if just to rest a bit just to be on the safe side.

I had heard this too. My Google search indicates this was just an urban legend.

The discussion points raised on the subject are the usual suspects that would make this difficult.
-difficulty proving who was driving
-cops need to witness and prosecute the violations; a dude in a toll booth being alerted to possible speeding violations by a timestamp isn't legal grounds to issue a citation
-potential inaccuracies with the timestamps
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Also in more than one occasion the turnpike authority has issued a statement saying they wouldn't participate in such a scheme, as there's a chance it could make using the turnpike less attractive.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Yeah, considering there are people that don't even use toll roads with AET because of the cameras, it's not far fetched at all that they would lose traffic/revenue if they started ticketing based on time stamps.

webny99

I voted for service plazas just because they're more of a known quantity. When you exit the highway, you never know exactly what you're going to get in terms of what type of area it is, convenience of access, re-entering the highway, etc. That's especially true in urban areas; it's usually less of a dice roll to get off at an exit if you're in the middle of nowhere (as long as you know there's facilities at the exit, of course!).

There's also a time factor. For example, this new rest area/welcome center on I-190 is a great facility, but it doesn't have direct access to the highway so you end up wasting several minutes getting in and out, especially northbound.

jp the roadgeek

Depends on whether or not I need gas.  If it's a food/bathroom break, then I'll go for the service plaza.  Since gas is usually cheaper off an exit, I'll opt for getting off.  Not that I travel highways with service plazas that often (going to Boston, I'd usually stop in Charlton for a breather, but get gas in Sturbridge on the way back just before the CT border; I might hit Westborough plaza for a bathroom break and food if I didn't eat much).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MATraveler128

For me, it depends. Because I live an a part of the country with toll roads, I usually use the service areas for the bathroom. Other than that, getting off at the next exit is often the best choice if I want to get something to eat, however, I always stop to eat at the NH liquor and wine outlets on I-93 every time I go up that way because they recently made it like a mini mall.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

MikeTheActuary

In-ROW service areas when they're an option.   The costs might be a little higher, but they are frequently quicker than exiting, etc., and they avoid one of my pet-peeves of long-distance driving: when services announced on the highway turn out to be an extended distance away from the highway.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on February 10, 2022, 08:11:19 AM
I voted for service plazas just because they're more of a known quantity. When you exit the highway, you never know exactly what you're going to get in terms of what type of area it is, convenience of access, re-entering the highway, etc. That's especially true in urban areas; it's usually less of a dice roll to get off at an exit if you're in the middle of nowhere (as long as you know there's facilities at the exit, of course!).

There's also a time factor. For example, this new rest area/welcome center on I-190 is a great facility, but it doesn't have direct access to the highway so you end up wasting several minutes getting in and out, especially northbound.
Yeah, that welcome center on I-190 always gets a facepalm from me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SP Cook

Non-toll roads.  Look for either a suburban/rural exit with a clean looking chain, preferably Sheetz or a car friendly truck stop chain like Flying J, Pilot or TA.  Avoid exits that are complex with multiple traffic lights, traffic, etc.  Also avoid urban exits.  Avoid gas stations that look seedy, in my area that is Marathon and Go Mart.

Toll roads.  Never really on one for long enough to need gas, and certainly not food.  Need two pieces of information.  One, are toll plaza prices significantly higher than the real world?  Two, is it going to cost me to exit and resented and how much? 

1995hoo

Most of my travel in recent years is not on toll roads other than some trips on Florida's Turnpike. I avoid stopping for gas at toll road service areas whenever possible, especially in New Jersey with their moronic "full-serve-only" law. If all I need is a restroom break, then I'll almost always stop at an on-road facility (rest area or service area) unless it's one I've found in the past to be a nuisance (e.g., some of the ones on Florida's Turnpike have a sea of parking and you wind up with a long walk to the building). If I'm hungry, it totally depends on where I am and what's available at a given service area or upcoming exit.

With all that said, I do like the automatic "bug wash" stations for cleaning your windshield that can be found at some service areas on Florida's Turnpike. For those unfamiliar, you drive under this thing and it sprays water at reasonably high pressure. They're intended for "love bug" season, but I've found that driving in the South pretty much always splatters the front of your car with bug jerky regardless of the time of year.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

I've had this discussion a number of times, as the rumor predates the Internet. My first experience with a closed ticketed system was on the Kansas Turnpike in 1991, and even back then I had heard rumors that if your average speed between toll booths where you received and surrendered your ticket showed you had exceeded the speed limit (then still 55 mph) you could be ticketed.

I'm not sure where I may have heard that, or even how, back in 1991. There certainly wasn't the means available the way there is now to either spread the rumor, or debunk it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

7/8

Personally I prefer the on-highway service stops. We have the "ONroutes" in Ontario and they're great (large clean washrooms, a few fast food options, a convenience store, and a gas station). But I don't mind getting off the highway if there's none nearby. I also find the US (especially the eastern half) has lots of options near the exits, so it's not a big deal to use those.

kalvado

Quote from: hbelkins on February 10, 2022, 10:03:52 AM

I've had this discussion a number of times, as the rumor predates the Internet. My first experience with a closed ticketed system was on the Kansas Turnpike in 1991, and even back then I had heard rumors that if your average speed between toll booths where you received and surrendered your ticket showed you had exceeded the speed limit (then still 55 mph) you could be ticketed.

I'm not sure where I may have heard that, or even how, back in 1991. There certainly wasn't the means available the way there is now to either spread the rumor, or debunk it.
I believe it was proposed at some point, so sort of not so much just a rumor - but never implemented. Wouldn't be surprized if that happens at some point - primarily for revenue as long haul toll roads are already on a safer side of things. 
All toll-related speeding tickets i heard of were about driving too fast between then-manned toll booths. Reasoning was that people are walking between the booths, so please be reasonable - or else.

Mapmikey

Quote from: kalvado on February 10, 2022, 10:10:29 AM

When the Savannah River Site still had gates on SC 125, they would check the date/time stamps and you could be ticketed for being too quick.  You would also get questioned if it was too long, because you were not supposed to stop anywhere within the site's boundaries for national security reasons.

I believe it was proposed at some point, so sort of not so much just a rumor - but never implemented. Wouldn't be surprized if that happens at some point - primarily for revenue as long haul toll roads are already on a safer side of things. 
All toll-related speeding tickets i heard of were about driving too fast between then-manned toll booths. Reasoning was that people are walking between the booths, so please be reasonable - or else.

SEWIGuy

It seems like it would be easy to do this with EZ Pass and iPass, but I have not heard of anyone getting a speeding ticket for going too fast between toll gates. 

1995hoo

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 10, 2022, 10:38:22 AM

It seems like it would be easy to do this with EZ Pass and iPass, but I have not heard of anyone getting a speeding ticket for going too fast between toll gates. 

Several states have affirmatively disclaimed any interest in doing this because they figure it would discourage people from using E-ZPass. Whether that could change in the future as cash tolls are eliminated, who knows. Wouldn't surprise me if it did happen (consider the UK already uses speed cameras for the "average speed check" system to combat people who slow down to pass a camera and then speed back up), but it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't happen, and it also wouldn't surprise me if its use or disuse correlated to which political party is in control in a given state at a given time.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.