News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Complaints that bother you (road-related)

Started by hbelkins, April 24, 2022, 12:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

So, what complaints are you tired of hearing? Things that other people complain about that don't bother you in the slightest?

For me, it's fonts. I actually like seeing Arial or Helvetica or something other than FHWA or Clearview on a sign. I like seeing something different every now and then.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SkyPesos

The grid. I'm completely fine that diagonal interstates and US routes are not in its grid position for a part of its route.

Max Rockatansky

CA 99 and CA 58 not being Interstates.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

roadman65

Breezewood.  Really some of you need to get over it.   

Some on here refuse to patronize the towns gas stations or motels cause of their stopping I-70 and the Turnpike from having a proper connection.  Like they all are going to notice or care.  To them your refusal is like Chick Fil A and Bergen County, NJ missing revenue on Sunday.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on April 24, 2022, 12:42:04 AM
So, what complaints are you tired of hearing? Things that other people complain about that don't bother you in the slightest?

For me, it's fonts. I actually like seeing Arial or Helvetica or something other than FHWA or Clearview on a sign. I like seeing something different every now and then.
Blech.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on April 24, 2022, 07:14:01 AM
"Speed kills"
Yeah, this one is tiresome given the large amount of research that has been done that has offered more nuance to the issue -- and has done so for decades now.

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on April 24, 2022, 07:20:00 AM

Some on here refuse to patronize the towns gas stations or motels cause of their stopping I-70 and the Turnpike from having a proper connection.  Like they all are going to notice or care.  To them your refusal is like Chick Fil A and Bergen County, NJ missing revenue on Sunday.
Yeah, no.  Breezewood is a bottleneck of national significance.

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on April 24, 2022, 07:27:21 AM

Yeah but we can’t control it though. You can write your local Congressman who supports Green Energy and won’t get anywhere with it either.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on April 24, 2022, 07:32:34 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 24, 2022, 07:27:21 AM

Yeah but we can't control it though. You can write your local Congressman who supports Green Energy and won't get anywhere with it either.
Complaining about things we can't control is an inherent American trait, commie.

thspfc

Finding a barely relevant excuse (i.e. "too slow for trucks) for hating roundabouts because you're averse to any change.

Saying I-39 and/or I-41 shouldn't be an Interstate.

bandit957

I love it when people complain! Just as long as they have solutions. Complaining without solutions is just useless whining. But complaining and offering solutions leads to constructive action - and it's entertaining! It's like having your very own Oscar the Grouch!

The word 'complain' even sounds like it's complaining: comPLAAAAAIIINNN!!!
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

JoePCool14

How "stroads" are evil and should never be allowed to exist. Or the general argument that all roads must be for access only or travel only. It implies that arterials can't be built with better traffic control in mind through the use of medians and safe sidewalks.

Or generally speaking, the way people complain in general about the U.S. road system, including Interstates. Those that say Europe does everything so much better.

I also hate when people suggest highways should be ripped out because "highways are evil". I've seen comments on YouTube videos about how Lake Shore Dr. in Chicago should be replaced with a road only for buses and bikes.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

TheHighwayMan3561

I-894 existing
I-494/694 not being one number
That MN didn't keep US routes as parallel alternate routes to interstates (note: not keeping parallel route =/= agreement with aggressive decommissioning)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 24, 2022, 04:13:38 PM
How "stroads" are evil and should never be allowed to exist. Or the general argument that all roads must be for access only or travel only. It implies that arterials can't be built with better traffic control in mind through the use of medians and safe sidewalks.

Uncritical use of the word "stroad" is generally a pretty good marker that someone can't be trusted to have sensible opinions on transportation.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 24, 2022, 12:43:14 AM
The grid. I'm completely fine that diagonal interstates and US routes are not in its grid position for a part of its route.

Another check. I don't care about the grid as long as some of the route is in the correct position.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 24, 2022, 04:25:49 PM

Uncritical use of the word "stroad" is generally a pretty good marker that someone can't be trusted to have sensible opinions on transportation.

This is the first time I have ever heard the term "stroad."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on April 24, 2022, 07:24:50 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 24, 2022, 12:49:46 AM
CA 99 and CA 58 not being Interstates.
CA 99 should be.

Yes, the problem I usually have with said complaint is the lack of understanding the reasoning why it hasn't happened and what it would take for it to happen.  At least with CA 99 there is sound reasoning, I'm not even sure how the same started with CA 58. 

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on April 24, 2022, 04:46:56 PM

It's mostly a term of derision used by the "cars are ruining America" crowd to refer to typical suburban arterials, which they feel like are some sort of unhappy medium between "streets" and "roads" (which of course is a dichotomy that didn't exist until they invented it for the purpose of making up the term "stroad").

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 24, 2022, 04:57:14 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 24, 2022, 04:46:56 PM

It's mostly a term of derision used by the "cars are ruining America" crowd to refer to typical suburban arterials, which they feel like are some sort of unhappy medium between "streets" and "roads" (which of course is a dichotomy that didn't exist until they invented it for the purpose of making up the term "stroad").

"Stroad" sounds like a type of beer.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

CoreySamson

- Clearview complaints
- What JoePCool14 and 1 said
- "Road work is annoying, so therefore I'm against this project"... I've seen this attitude on Facebook a bit.
- People (mostly New Urbanists or their supporters) that throw Houston under the bus for not having mass transit and being car-centered without considering why it's that way
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

roadman65

What about the I-95 verses NJ Turnpike alignment? Some still complain that I-95 should be the whole NJ Turnpike where Philbos has to step in to defend I-95 in PA.

Oh, and then there is Wilmington now used by NJTA for the SB control city over what some on here want which is to sign Baltimore instead of  Delaware's largest city as is been started on new guides in New Jersey.

Plus how many times do people complain on here about MDSHA skipping Philadelphia on I-95 NB for New York or New York City north of Baltimore?

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

I-70 not being completed in Baltimore.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 24, 2022, 07:13:09 PM
I-70 not being completed in Baltimore.

On a related note, the debate over whether I-70 really enters Baltimore or not.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.