News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

710 - Long Beach Freeway Gap

Started by sdmichael, April 29, 2013, 10:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdmichael

I've posted a few updates to my 710 Freeway gap page with more maps and data. It is still a work in progress but most of it is up now.

http://socalregion.com/highways/la_highways/route_710_freeway_stub_ends/

rte66man

Quote from: sdmichael on April 29, 2013, 10:17:24 PM
I've posted a few updates to my 710 Freeway gap page with more maps and data. It is still a work in progress but most of it is up now.

http://www.scvresources.com/highways/la_highways/route_710_freeway_stub_ends/

Did you create the maps of the proposed route?

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

sdmichael

The maps of the proposed route were from Caltrans Right of Way maps available to the public. As my scanner isn't long enough, I had to scan in pieces and stitch the images together.

Interstatefan78

Quote from: sdmichael on April 29, 2013, 10:17:24 PM

http://www.scvresources.com/highways/la_highways/route_710_freeway_stub_ends/
I did see them and the 710/110 interchange showed rt-7 and rt-11 perhaps it needs signs on the 710 fwy nb or the 710 fwy sb to the 110 parkway sb no trucks. I'm not sure if they will widen the Arroyo Seco Parkway back in 1966 to accommodate the interchange and lane changes

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on May 08, 2013, 09:54:46 PM
what

given that he is talking about whether they will do something in 1966, I'm assuming he's in shock from the time travel.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 09, 2013, 01:07:46 PM
Quote from: NE2 on May 08, 2013, 09:54:46 PM
what

given that he is talking about whether they will do something in 1966, I'm assuming he's in shock from the time travel.
I need to go back... to the future! The future, Charlie! Yeah, the future!

Desert Man

The I-710/ Long Beach freeway gap is unique to the Los Angeles freeway system: an incomplete route. I always thought the cause of the I-710 gap was from residents blocked completion of the I-710 that should connect with the I-110. A few blocks would been bulldozed for the freeway and residents in the way have to move.

I looked at sdmichael's site to view the photos and the scrapped plans of the what-could-been I-110/I-710 interchange in South Pasadena, the upper-middle class suburb known for streets lined with a variety of trees and historic homes, some used in numerous movie sets. The city wanted to protect neighborhoods and expressed environmental concerns on having a freeway can dirty up the air.

More information regarding the I-710 extension controversy in South Pasadena.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Pasadena,_California#Interstate_710_extension_controversy
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

hm insulators

I think South Pasadena has been fighting the 710 for longer than I've even been around--and I'm on the wrong side of the big 5-oh!
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Henry

I remember seeing the gap and wondering: "Will this thing ever be finished?" Perhaps a tunnel could help out a lot; that way, the freeway would be completed without disrupting the area around it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mgk920

Quote from: Henry on May 21, 2013, 06:41:53 PM
I remember seeing the gap and wondering: "Will this thing ever be finished?" Perhaps a tunnel could help out a lot; that way, the freeway would be completed without disrupting the area around it.

Well, that is the current line of thinking at official levels and what their studies are now centering around.

:nod:

Stay tuned!

Mike

ZLoth

Let me guess.... the people who are protesting against the completion of this project are the same people who complain about the traffic backup.

Someone pass me the frying pan.  :pan:
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

hm insulators

Quote from: ZLoth on June 04, 2013, 02:55:12 AM
Let me guess.... the people who are protesting against the completion of this project are the same people who complain about the traffic backup.

Someone pass me the frying pan.  :pan:
That's about the size of it. Makes no sense to me either; it's like the people who move near the airport and then complain that the planes make too much noise.

Now let me have a turn with the pan. :pan:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

sdmichael

Another update to the 710 page. I finally found the photos I took of a model that was constructed by Caltrans showing another design for the 710 / 110 interchange, complete with HOV lanes on the 710. It really shows the impact that freeway would have had to South Pasadena.

Interstatefan78

Saw the recent Caltrans model for the 710 fwy in Pasadena and it's interesting that the carpool lanes in the model can also serve as a BRT route because the LA metro has a brt or a lrt line that is planned to go on the 710 fwy corridor. if the BRT option was adapted for the 710 gap then it will become similar to I-10 or I-110 both have brt routes running on the carpool lane, but LRT option was used then the 710 fwy will be similar to the 105 fwy because the LRT acts as a  median between the two directions of travel
http://www.scvresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/P3150033.jpg

hm insulators

I can't believe the possible route for the LRT! Great, let's tear up Fremont Avenue through Alhambra and South Pasadena and really foul things up! :pan: :pan: :pan: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And did anybody notice that TDM is pronounced "tedium"?

If only South Pasadena would just go away.

andy3175

Resurrecting an old thread, I found an "alternatives analysis" for options related to BRT, light rail, freeway, freeway tunnel, and arterial upgrades for the 710 gap in Pasadena-South Pasadena on Caltrans' webpage. It is dated Dec 2012:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/resources/envdocs/docs/710study/

Of interest is the executive summary, which lists and explains the various alternatives, and the appendix drawings of each alternative, which shows intended route, signage, and related appurtenances of the various alternatives.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

emory

I drove through Monterrey Park today and figured I'd check and see if this sign was still up. Sure enough!

emory

Fremont Avenue is littered with these banners:

myosh_tino

Judging by those banners, I take it that the only community putting up a stink about the 710 freeway is Pasadena?  Looks like all of the surrounding communities are in favor of building the freeway.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

TheStranger

Quote from: myosh_tino on June 08, 2014, 11:51:44 AM
Judging by those banners, I take it that the only community putting up a stink about the 710 freeway is Pasadena?  Looks like all of the surrounding communities are in favor of building the freeway.

More specifically, South Pasadena (a separate city) which has been the one community against closing the 710 gap for over 5 decades.
Chris Sampang

DTComposer

South Pasadena, mostly. While it is true that the extension would bisect their city, this route has been on the books for over half a century...I would wager the vast majority of people who would be affected by this route moved into the area knowing (or should have been knowing) that this may one day become a reality.

I think the surface freeway option is officially off the table, and the tunnel is the best hope for this gap being filled.

emory

The surface street option is dead. Caltrans is selling the homes it owns on the pathway. A tunnel would be the only option to complete Route 710, but South Pasadena even doesn't like that due to issues like the ventilation of exhaust.

hm insulators

Quote from: emory on June 08, 2014, 03:40:41 AM
I drove through Monterrey Park today and figured I'd check and see if this sign was still up. Sure enough!

That's an ancient sign! The freeway has been I-710 for about thirty years or more.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: emory on June 08, 2014, 03:47:55 AM
Fremont Avenue is littered with these banners:

Caltrans is also eternally optimistic about this happening.  In addition to slavishly signing Pasadena as a control city on southern parts of the Long Beach Freeway (but LA on the 91?!), I saw this carpool lane gem on the Foothill Freeway a couple of weeks ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.