News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intelati49

Quote from: US71 on June 29, 2012, 09:18:00 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 29, 2012, 09:12:45 PM
That will be as silly as all the AR 282 interchanges from I-540.

At least each of the 282's go someplace different  (sort of).

Kind of like the MO 100 interchanges on I-44

Gordon

What is the next section of the Bella Vista Bypass that AHTD plans to let for construction? I don't see any on the STIP for 2013-2016.

US71

A couple photos I took yesterday around Hiwasse:

West embankment and center column of future bridge over I-49 at AR 72 southeast of Hiwasse.

AR 279 at I-49 just south of Hiwasse. 279 is temporarily detoured along what will eventually be one of 49's frontage roads
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

M86

Nice to see some progress... As much as I hate AHTD.

I just hope they don't f*&^ it up like they did with I-540 in NWA... Meh, too late.

US71, do you feel these will be frontage roads?  I don't see that.

US71

Quote from: M86 on July 01, 2012, 05:34:37 AM
Nice to see some progress... As much as I hate AHTD.

I just hope they don't f*&^ it up like they did with I-540 in NWA... Meh, too late.

US71, do you feel these will be frontage roads?  I don't see that.

It's an educated guess. The Detour on 279 hugs I-49...it's the E-W road near the center
http://goo.gl/maps/z8TM

Gordon

There were 2 articles in the Arkansas Gazette today about promoting the state wide 1/2 cent sales tax. They have 3 projects in Northwest Arkansas area that will be on the list to get money. 1- 125 million to widening stretches of I 540 in Washington and Benton counties to 6 lanes. 2- 100 million for completion of the Bella Vista Bypass of 2 lanes. 3- 150 million to help build a 4 lane section of U.S. 412 Bypass north of Springdale. Maybe Little Rock want get all of the money if voted in. Although it said Little Rock would 300 million for a new bridge at the Arkansas river on I 30.

US71

Quote from: Gordon on July 02, 2012, 07:21:50 PM
There were 2 articles in the Arkansas Gazette today about promoting the state wide 1/2 cent sales tax. They have 3 projects in Northwest Arkansas area that will be on the list to get money. 1- 125 million to widening stretches of I 540 in Washington and Benton counties to 6 lanes. 2- 100 million for completion of the Bella Vista Bypass of 2 lanes. 3- 150 million to help build a 4 lane section of U.S. 412 Bypass north of Springdale. Maybe Little Rock want get all of the money if voted in. Although it said Little Rock would 300 million for a new bridge at the Arkansas river on I 30.

I-30? I figured they would go for the new Broadway Bridge. I think finishing I-440 should be a priority in the Little Rock area.

As others have pointed out, AHTD doesn't prioritize very well.

codyg1985

Quote from: US71 on July 02, 2012, 07:51:50 PM

I-30? I figured they would go for the new Broadway Bridge. I think finishing I-440 should be a priority in the Little Rock area.

As others have pointed out, AHTD doesn't prioritize very well.

Is the existing bridge not wide enough to handle the traffic? Or is the existing bridge falling apart?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 03, 2012, 09:05:14 AM

Is the existing bridge not wide enough to handle the traffic? Or is the existing bridge falling apart?

The I-30 bridge is considered substandard and is starting to age and need repairs. I think AHTD wants wider shoulders and the Corps of Engineers says the piers are too closely spaced for barge traffic.

rte66man

Quote from: US71 on July 03, 2012, 09:43:14 AM

The I-30 bridge is considered substandard and is starting to age and need repairs. I think AHTD wants wider shoulders and the Corps of Engineers says the piers are too closely spaced for barge traffic.

Was that bridge built before the river was "upgraded" to the McClellan-Kerr Navigation System?

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Grzrd

Quote from: bugo on June 19, 2012, 02:58:40 PM
This is probably the only Arkansas I-49 shield, and likely the first one ever made:

(above quote from I-49 Coming to Missouri thread)

I wish you would take your I-49 shield to AHTD in Little Rock, offer to let them make copies, and then get one of them to do to the Arkansas delegation what a Texas Transportation Commissioner recently did to the Texas delegation with I-69 shields. Give them a constant reminder.  :sombrero:

US71

Quote from: rte66man on July 03, 2012, 10:19:17 AM

Was that bridge built before the river was "upgraded" to the McClellan-Kerr Navigation System?

rte66man

I believe it was. The I-30 bridge was built circa 1960 and the Little Rock section of McClellan-Kerr project was finished around 1968.

Road Hog

Quote from: US71 on July 06, 2012, 11:28:59 PM
Quote from: rte66man on July 03, 2012, 10:19:17 AM

rte66man

I believe it was. The I-30 bridge was built circa 1960 and the Little Rock section of McClellan-Kerr project was finished around 1968.

It still had to be built with navigation in mind since the plan to deepen the channel was in the works. There are two other traffic bridges and two railroad bridges between downtown LR and NLR that didn't have to be replaced (the Main Street Bridge was built in the 1970s after the navigation project was finished and I believe both railroad bridges have lifting center spans).

The I-30 bridge is perfectly good other than the fact that it's barely wide enough for six lanes. Functionally obsolete.

M86

My 2 cents on AR Trans funding:  It's ridiculous, and I probably sound like a broken record.  I complain way too much on this forum.  And I apologize for my bi*&^ing again.

We see them constructing future I-49 in SW AR, and constructing more of US 67 (Interstate standards I believe) to the northeast of Newport, AR... aka low traffic counts.

Common sense would tell you to have projects in areas with high traffic counts and high accident count areas?  Right?  Or am I crazy?

Ummm... Yeah.  I thought, for sure, my interchange on I-540 in NWA would see something, some sort of reconstruction, this summer... Some sort of improvement... No change... Zero.  Backed up, as always.

My hate for AHTD has increased, and I didn't think that was possible.

Gordon

Future I 49 in SW AR was earmarked I think for a 100 million by State rep. in This area. Congress has designated Future I 49 as a high priority corridor. But US 67 is a AHTD Priority and Randy Ort said in the Arkansas Gazette about a month ago that was his and some others dream to extend it to Interstate standards to ST Louis. Even though Missouri dropped there side of it. One thing you can count on is AHTD has there retirement meeting every 3 months. That is what they concentrate on.

Grzrd

The second half of this July 15 KTBS-Shreveport TV video report focuses on the I-49 funding challenges for the Fort Smith to Texarkana section.

Grzrd

Quote from: bugo on June 19, 2012, 02:58:40 PM
This is probably the only Arkansas I-49 shield, and likely the first one ever made
(above quote from I-49 Coming to Missouri thread)

Although the latter assertion may continue to be true, the former looks like it will soon no longer be true. I emailed AHTD and asked if MAP-21 might encourage them to reapply to AASHTO for I-49 designations. The response:

We are completing an application to have I-540 (I-40 to Missouri State Line ) redesignated as I-49 and plan to submit to AASHTO for consideration at the fall meeting.

The Special Committee on Route Numbering meets on November 15.  AHTD still has a chance to get I-49 shields facing the highway before MoDOT.  Game on?

edit - Or, will AHTD coordinate with MoDOT this December, and then coordinate with LaDOTD in Summer 2013 for SW Arkansas and I-49 North segments?

US71

Last Friday, I drove to Booneville, AR. Along the way, I spotted another section of Future 49 under construction (yellow line)

http://goo.gl/maps/GHDV5

This is roughly halfway between I-540 at Ft Smith and Jct 10 Spur near Greenwood.

Very hilly, rugged terrain. I expect there will be some road cuts in this area

NE2

Quote from: US71 on August 27, 2012, 07:21:21 PM
Last Friday, I drove to Booneville, AR. Along the way, I spotted another section of Future 49 under construction (yellow line)

That's the "Chaffee Crossing" segment; it's been under construction for several years. The Arkansas River crossing to the north is on hold.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on August 27, 2012, 07:56:16 PM

That's the "Chaffee Crossing" segment; it's been under construction for several years. The Arkansas River crossing to the north is on hold.

The section in yellow is a new segment (less than 6 months old).  If nothing else, it could be a "bypass" between 71 and AR 22 at Barling. ;)

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 03, 2012, 04:34:37 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on December 16, 2011, 11:49:24 AM
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2011/dec/17/fort-smiths-4th-interchange-i-49-get-star-20111217/?f=news-arkansas
The state Highway and Transportation Department plans to award a contract next year to build a fourth interchange in the Fort Smith area for the long-planned Interstate 49.
The interchange would be at U.S. 71 south of the city, according to Joe Shipman, District 4 engineer for the Highway Department ...
Three other Fort Smith-area interchanges for the new northsouth interstate are nearly finished, according to Shipman.
.... in the May 2 letting, I believe this is the "fourth interchange" project ... Here is AHTD's description of the project:
THE PURPOSE OF THIS PROJECT IS TO CONSTRUCT 0.635 MILE OF THE HWY. 71 RELOCATED EMBANKMENT, THE EMBANKMENTS FOR THE RAMPS ALONG WITH THE OVERPASS BRIDGE AND APPROACHES AT THE INTERCHANGE OF HWY. 71 AND COUNTY ROAD 8 IN SEBASTIAN COUNTY NEAR THE FORT CHAFFEE MILITARY RESERVATION.  THIS PROJECT CONSISTS OF EARTHWORK, AGGREGATE BASE COURSE, ACHM BINDER AND SURFACE COURSES, MINOR DRAINAGE STRUCTURES, GUARDRAIL, EROSION CONTROL ITEMS, A CONT. COMP. PLATE GIRDER UNIT OVERPASS BRIDGE (329.16 FT.), WIRE FENCE, MAINTENANCE OF TRAFFIC AND MISC. ITEMS.
Quote from: US71 on August 27, 2012, 08:11:46 PM
Last Friday ... I spotted another section of Future 49 under construction (yellow line)
The section in yellow is a new segment (less than 6 months old).

Given the time frame and the length of the yellow line, it looks like the "fourth interchange" project.

Gordon

In today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette was an Article about the Bella Vista Bypass. The first segment is about 50% complete and the 2nd segment started in June. Both are scheduled to be complete in 2014. There is no money earmarked to do another section unless the sale tax amendment is passed in November. If it does pass they will finish 2 lanes of the Bypass and also widen some I 540 from Fayetteville to Bentonville. Also one section of the Springdale Bypass will be built. Otherwise there is no section for construction to be built until 2016. There is no named opposition so far for the amendment as of now.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on August 27, 2012, 09:37:42 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on April 03, 2012, 04:34:37 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on December 16, 2011, 11:49:24 AM
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2011/dec/17/fort-smiths-4th-interchange-i-49-get-star-20111217/?f=news-arkansas
The state Highway and Transportation Department plans to award a contract next year to build a fourth interchange in the Fort Smith area for the long-planned Interstate 49.
The interchange would be at U.S. 71 south of the city, according to Joe Shipman, District 4 engineer for the Highway Department ...
Three other Fort Smith-area interchanges for the new northsouth interstate are nearly finished, according to Shipman.
.... in the May 2 letting, I believe this is the "fourth interchange" project ... Here is AHTD's description of the project:
THE PURPOSE OF THIS PROJECT IS TO CONSTRUCT 0.635 MILE OF THE HWY. 71 RELOCATED EMBANKMENT, THE EMBANKMENTS FOR THE RAMPS ALONG WITH THE OVERPASS BRIDGE AND APPROACHES AT THE INTERCHANGE OF HWY. 71 AND COUNTY ROAD 8 IN SEBASTIAN COUNTY NEAR THE FORT CHAFFEE MILITARY RESERVATION.  THIS PROJECT CONSISTS OF EARTHWORK, AGGREGATE BASE COURSE, ACHM BINDER AND SURFACE COURSES, MINOR DRAINAGE STRUCTURES, GUARDRAIL, EROSION CONTROL ITEMS, A CONT. COMP. PLATE GIRDER UNIT OVERPASS BRIDGE (329.16 FT.), WIRE FENCE, MAINTENANCE OF TRAFFIC AND MISC. ITEMS.
(above quote from I-49 in AR (Bella Vista, Fort Smith) thread)
Quote from: US71 on August 27, 2012, 08:11:46 PM
Last Friday ... I spotted another section of Future 49 under construction (yellow line)
The section in yellow is a new segment (less than 6 months old).

Given the time frame and the length of the yellow line, it looks like the "fourth interchange" project.

Yes, quite likely. CR 8 is Howard Hill Rd, which is just SW of where the last project ended (Rye Hill Rd). Judging from the grading, I would say the dirt work will probably end just before 71. Lots of traffic in the area, so there really isn't a good place to stop for actual photos.

dariusb

Quote from: Grzrd on July 21, 2012, 11:29:02 AM
The second half of this July 15 KTBS-Shreveport TV video report focuses on the I-49 funding challenges for the Fort Smith to Texarkana section.

I enjoyed watching that video as well as the I-49 Road To The Future segments.
It's a new day for a new beginning.

O Tamandua

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.