News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

I edited my previous posts to remove any derogatory statements towards the city of Camden.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2021, 01:59:04 PM
I edited my previous posts to remove any derogatory statements towards the city of Camden.
We can't criticize cities now?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 05, 2021, 01:52:50 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2021, 01:50:41 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 05, 2021, 01:48:03 PM
But your first statement "who goes to Camden" is purely coming off as "people don't go there because it's a bad place". Every place has something to provide, no matter the racial, religious or economical makeup of it.

My opinion about your passive racism aside. Why does it matter? It's 2021, we've got GPSes and maps that can tell you exactly where to go to get to Philadelphia if you are so inclined to use exit 38 from either direction. How many general drivers give a damn about the municipalities or communities written as "control cities"? NJTPA isn't required to post anything, and they go with a Jersey one.
Control Cities are just helpful, it's true that many drivers don't care, but some consistency about what should be posted would be nice. I was also being facetious with my Camden comment, I would say it about any suburb no matter the racial makeup.

They are being consistent. You just don't like what they are using.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6159524,-74.8269375,3a,36.3y,241.82h,83.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1se6L_1HiC_DY6oHxLVuNX2A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This isn't consistent.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on May 05, 2021, 02:06:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2021, 01:59:04 PM
We can't criticize cities now?
I was accused of being racist when I called Camden a dump even though Philadelphia, which I suggested signing instead, is 44% black. Now "dump" was a poor choice of words, however.

Alps

can we please move on from control cities thx

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on May 05, 2021, 01:56:55 PM
Camden is appropriate on the Turnpike southbound from Exit 6 to Exit 3. Otherwise it shouldn't be used - Philly supersedes it. NJ has some weird control cities that shouldn't really be used... Mahwah on 287, Del Water Gap on 80, Kearny on 280. It also resists signing cities out of state... other than on the Turnpike at Exit 6, "Wilmington"  seems to be completely absent. It's a very Jersey-centric policy. NJDOT really should completely review its choices of control cities, imho. Not all need to change, probably not a majority, but some definitely do. But in the age of GPS, this probably doesn't matter much.

You forgot Easton on I-78.  Since the 1994 road widening Clinton got phased out there for Easton, which was copied from US 22 as it goes there.  Yes, since 1989, traffic had to default onto US 22 and cross the toll bridge into Easton, but 5 years passed and you think Allentown, PA's 3rd largest city, would be more appropriate.   True also I-78 does nip part of Easton, bugt far from it's downtown area where control cities are to be signed anyway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Oh did not see moderator's post, but yes unless it is about the Parkway.  I think now I will go to the changing control cities thread if someone here keeps on going about the Baltimore nonsense.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2021, 08:00:44 PM
Oh did not see moderator's post, but yes unless it is about the Parkway.  I think now I will go to the changing control cities thread if someone here keeps on going about the Baltimore nonsense.
Nobody's talking about Baltimore in this thread.

roadman65

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2021, 08:01:58 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2021, 08:00:44 PM
Nobody's talking about Baltimore in this thread.

In another thread which got all this crap going.  One newbie was ranting about it on I-70 that got this crap going here.  Remember we are on a forum where if one user asks in 2010 why doesn't I-76 go to Atlantic City and a user comes by next month as a new member and asks the question again, many on here will scold the user for necro posting. Despite him being unaware of past history on here, it is how it goes on here.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

can we please move on from discussing my request to move on from control cities thx
warnings will be issued next

roadman65

I will get the thread back now.

I see now from images on GSV the Parkway shields on nearby roads have added the TO place cards on the shields.

For ages only a parkway shield and arrow directed motorist to the highway.  I am guessing that someone influenced them into doing that? If not I think it's about time someone at NJTA realized that it should be used.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on May 06, 2021, 09:12:11 AM
I will get the thread back now.

I see now from images on GSV the Parkway shields on nearby roads have added the TO place cards on the shields.

For ages only a parkway shield and arrow directed motorist to the highway.  I am guessing that someone influenced them into doing that? If not I think it's about time someone at NJTA realized that it should be used.

I just think it's the Authority's move to embrace more MUTCD compliant signage. Same thing for Turnpike assemblies. The only real thing they don't do that's standard is that they use a circular sign for the arrow instead of a rectangle.

roadman65

Better than the OK long arrow the NJ Turnpike used to use.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on May 06, 2021, 11:13:36 PM
don't you dare denigrate the arrow

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on May 06, 2021, 11:13:36 PM
Hm.  Bet NJ used it before OK.  Also, long live the squiggly arrow.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Where on the Garden State Parkway in Bloomfield can the two Claridge High Rise Condos can be seen?

I remember somewhere driving the Parkway and saw the two buildings on top of the mountain in the distance.  Tried to locate on GSV but failed to find it.

BTW the Claridge Condos are the two high rise dwellings behind Kings Supermarket on NJ 23 north of CR 506 and south of the Cedar Grove Line.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Thread bump for the first time in a while!

Per Gov. Murphy:

[tweet]1420121299226087427[/tweet]

ixnay

Quote from: storm2k on July 27, 2021, 05:39:20 PM

Per Gov. Murphy:

Connie Chung (the newscaster), huh?  Did she grow up in Newark?  IIRC Larry Doby (who's getting the service plaza opposite Chung's) grew up in Newark, but IIRC Chung was born in DC.  I first heard of Chung on my 1981 California vacation when she was anchoring on KNXT (now KCBS) channel 2 in LA, the station where IIRC she met Maury Povich, who she married.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

epzik8

Quote from: storm2k on July 27, 2021, 05:39:20 PM

Per Gov. Murphy:

No Bruce Springsteen???
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jeffandnicole

Quote from: epzik8 on July 29, 2021, 06:50:37 PM
No Bruce Springsteen???

Officials discussed the idea with him, but he declined.

The Ghostbuster

storm2k

GSP twitter account had a tweet about today being the anniversary of the Driscoll Bridge's opening and posted this gorgeous shot:

You can see the original routing of both the Parkway and Rt 9 before they were swapped. Sadly, you can't see the original Victory Bridge in this photo.

SignBridge

Originally three lanes in each direction? What is it today; maybe seven lanes each way?

NJRoadfan

Seven southbound and eight northbound. It's the world's widest bridge by number of lanes (physically widest is the Capital Beltway Woodrow Wilson Bridge)

theroadwayone

Speaking of the bridge, is it rather misleading that the Express EZ-Pass lanes for the Raritan Toll Plaza are signed as a "Toll Plaza Bypass?" You're bypassing the booths for paying the toll, but not the toll itself.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.