Chicago Skyway to open new Express Lanes Starting July 1st

Started by Great Lakes Roads, June 27, 2016, 05:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Lakes Roads

The Ghostbuster

Personally, I would have made all existing lanes congestion-priced Express Lanes

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

MisterSG1

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 27, 2016, 05:59:32 PM
Personally, I would have made all existing lanes congestion-priced Express Lanes

What I don't get, why is it ok for the government to implement "surge" pricing, but it's not ok for Uber to implement surge pricing....it's the exact same rationale.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Brandon on June 27, 2016, 07:24:59 PM
It's about damn time.
Not really this seems to be the old old idea of having flex way both tolls of the past.

still have gates??? Nice way to really half ass it. They are just useing the mc land for lanes the toll both area still just about the same.

At least they have the room to do a real make over even if just OTR lanes each way.

froggie

If these are intended as express lanes at the toll booth, wouldn't it have made sense to have lanes in both directions instead of a reversible setup?  What percentage of Skyway users use an Ipass or EZPass?

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: froggie on June 28, 2016, 10:54:53 AM
If these are intended as express lanes at the toll booth, wouldn't it have made sense to have lanes in both directions instead of a reversible setup?  What percentage of Skyway users use an Ipass or EZPass?

They don't want to do an full toll rebuild to have real ORT lanes?

Henry

Quote from: Brandon on June 27, 2016, 07:24:59 PM
It's about damn time.
I echo that sentiment!

It'll be interesting to see how the Fourth of July traffic will hold up on that rebuilt section.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Great Lakes Roads

http://abc7chicago.com/news/chicago-skyway-opens-reversible-lanes-on-friday/1405494/

According to the news report, these lanes are going to be short-lived because after Labor Day, they are going to close it for bridge rehab at S Kingston Ave.  Once the bridge rehab is complete around Memorial Day 2017, they will add three new toll lanes in each direction.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 30, 2016, 05:36:09 PM
http://abc7chicago.com/news/chicago-skyway-opens-reversible-lanes-on-friday/1405494/

According to the news report, these lanes are going to be short-lived because after Labor Day, they are going to close it for bridge rehab at S Kingston Ave.  Once the bridge rehab is complete around Memorial Day 2017, they will add three new toll lanes in each direction.

do they plan to have to real ORT lanes then or at least the mid speed gate free ones.

ET21

I also read in today's Tribune that there's a catch with these, you have to stop at the booths with the sensor so the gate can go up in the new lanes. Not really "express"
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ET21 on July 01, 2016, 10:59:08 AM
I also read in today's Tribune that there's a catch with these, you have to stop at the booths with the sensor so the gate can go up in the new lanes. Not really "express"

also most took out an gate on the IN tollroad in a 15mph ETC only lane ramp toll. Why gates? IL dumped the gates on the ramp ones a very long time ago and at the main line years ago in the ETC only lanes.

hobsini2

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on July 01, 2016, 11:45:53 AM

also most took out an gate on the IN tollroad in a 15mph ETC only lane ramp toll. Why gates? IL dumped the gates on the ramp ones a very long time ago and at the main line years ago in the ETC only lanes.

Remember that the Skyway is not run by ISTHA but rather the City of Chicago. That would be why not.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SSOWorld

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 04, 2016, 01:21:56 PM

Remember that the Skyway is not run by ISTHA but rather the City of Chicago. That would be why not.
Actually it's leased by the city to Skyway Concessions Company who runs it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

GeekJedi

It's not run by the City of Chicago either. It's run by Skyway Concession Company, LLC. They're responsible for all the maintenance, toll collections, etc.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

MisterSG1

Quote from: GeekJedi on July 04, 2016, 08:22:07 PM

It's not run by the City of Chicago either. It's run by Skyway Concession Company, LLC. They're responsible for all the maintenance, toll collections, etc.

That's right, it's run by Cintra....the same disgusting corporation which runs 407 ETR.

EDIT

It appears Cintra sold the Skyway Concession Company to a group I despise even more, the "Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan", as well as the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, and the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System. That's right folks, the bridge is now owned by three Canadian pension funds. Yes, I have a lot of animosity towards teachers and their bullying tactics with government, when they make disgusting amounts of money already.

7/8

Quote from: MisterSG1 on July 04, 2016, 08:33:37 PM
Quote from: GeekJedi on July 04, 2016, 08:22:07 PM

That's right, it's run by Cintra....the same disgusting corporation which runs 407 ETR.

EDIT

It appears Cintra sold the Skyway Concession Company to a group I despise even more, the "Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan", as well as the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, and the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System. That's right folks, the bridge is now owned by three Canadian pension funds. Yes, I have a lot of animosity towards teachers and their bullying tactics with government, when they make disgusting amounts of money already.

I know if I lived in Chicago, I wouldn't be happy that my toll money would be going to Ontario teachers. This is one of the things that bothers me about the 407; my toll money is going to a private company based out of Spain instead of a local company.

That's definitely disappointing  :-/

Stratuscaster

Presumably your toll money is also going to maintain the road as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.