News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-90 / Mass Pike Signing Work

Started by bob7374, August 14, 2015, 06:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: jpdailey14 on May 28, 2017, 09:48:58 AM
I noticed yesterday that the gore signs at the Charlton Rest Area were replaced.  Interestingly, they are now in mixed case.
When I was up there this past weekend; I also noticed some of the new/replacement signs being erected along I-90 westbound.  One of them being the supplemental BGS for US 20 & Sturbridge (the shape of the shield looks slightly off) and one for MA 12 & Auburn. 

It looks like my request/suggestion for MassDOT to continue having the MA 12 shields on the yet-to-be-erected main signs was either was or the supplemental signage wasn't coordinated with the change (which would have just had Auburn listed).  The reasoning for the request/suggestion (such was posted several pages back) is due to the location of the ramps to/from MA 12 being within the interchange.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 30, 2017, 08:39:38 AM
Quote from: jpdailey14 on May 28, 2017, 09:48:58 AM
I noticed yesterday that the gore signs at the Charlton Rest Area were replaced.  Interestingly, they are now in mixed case.
When I was up there this past weekend; I also noticed some of the new/replacement signs being erected along I-90 westbound.  One of them being the supplemental BGS for US 20 & Sturbridge (the shape of the shield looks slightly off) and one for MA 12 & Auburn. 

It looks like my request/suggestion for MassDOT to continue having the MA 12 shields on the yet-to-be-erected main signs was either was or the supplemental signage wasn't coordinated with the change (which would have just had Auburn listed).  The reasoning for the request/suggestion (such was posted several pages back) is due to the location of the ramps to/from MA 12 being within the interchange.
The sign fabricator for the project has been directed to include the MA 12 shields on the overhead BGS panels for the I-295/I-395 interchange.  As it was not practical to add "Auburn" to the BGS signs, the supplemental signs were installed per the original design.  This reinforces that 12 goes to Auburn.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on May 30, 2017, 09:07:20 AMThe sign fabricator for the project has been directed to include the MA 12 shields on the overhead BGS panels for the I-295/I-395 interchange.  As it was not practical to add "Auburn" to the BGS signs, the supplemental signs were installed per the original design.  This reinforces that 12 goes to Auburn.
I understand the reasoning behind not adding Auburn to the main BGS'.  The point I was trying to make was that since MA 12 shields will now be on the main BGS', having it on the supplemental BGS' for Auburn is redundant.  IMHO, the supplemental BGS' should just list Auburn with no MA 12 shield.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

AMLNet49

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 30, 2017, 09:58:35 AM
Quote from: roadman on May 30, 2017, 09:07:20 AMThe sign fabricator for the project has been directed to include the MA 12 shields on the overhead BGS panels for the I-295/I-395 interchange.  As it was not practical to add "Auburn" to the BGS signs, the supplemental signs were installed per the original design.  This reinforces that 12 goes to Auburn.
I understand the reasoning behind not adding Auburn to the main BGS'.  The point I was trying to make was that since MA 12 shields will now be on the main BGS', having it on the supplemental BGS' for Auburn is redundant.  IMHO, the supplemental BGS' should just list Auburn with no MA 12 shield.
I think the reasoning is to inform drivers that to go to Auburn, one should use MA 12 as opposed to the interstates

bob7374

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 30, 2017, 09:58:35 AM
I assume this is what the Auburn sign looks like, based on this sign plan, except that the exit number is 10:

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on May 30, 2017, 11:26:08 PMI assume this is what the Auburn sign looks like, based on this sign plan, except that the exit number is 10:

Correct.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on May 30, 2017, 11:26:08 PMI assume this is what the Auburn sign looks like, based on this sign plan, except that the exit number is 10:

Here's the actual sign:

Another photo of the US 20 auxuliary sign for the I-84 exit:

Here's one of the new destination mileages signs with shields instead of text:

All of the photos of new signage taken along the Mass Pike on June 4 are available at:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i90photos.html

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bob7374 on June 13, 2017, 11:20:30 AM

Here's the actual sign:

Another photo of the US 20 auxuliary sign for the I-84 exit:

Here's one of the new destination mileages signs with shields instead of text:

All of the photos of new signage taken along the Mass Pike on June 4 are available at:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i90photos.html
Is there a reason they stopped using text? Any problem with it?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 13, 2017, 02:06:56 PM
Is there a reason they stopped using text? Any problem with it?

Previously it said:

Worcester 17
I-495     26
Boston    56

exactly as shown (except the font wasn't monospaced). Since almost all other mentions of I-495 (and other Interstates) use shields, using the literal text "I-495" isn't as obvious what it refers to, which means it takes slightly longer to process.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 13, 2017, 02:06:56 PMIs there a reason they stopped using text?
The previous signage was fabricated back when the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority was its own separate entity (from then-MassHighway) and, hence, had their own standards & specifications.  In contrast, MassHighway typically used route shields in its mileage signs.

Circa 2009, the Turnpike Authority was merged into MassHighway and the parent agency was renamed to the current MassDOT.  As a result of that merger, future sign specifications/fabrications along the Pike started to mirror those along other Massachusetts highways; including the use of route shields on mileage signs.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 13, 2017, 03:18:57 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 13, 2017, 02:06:56 PMIs there a reason they stopped using text?
The previous signage was fabricated back when the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority was its own separate entity (from then-MassHighway) and, hence, had their own standards & specifications.  In contrast, MassHighway typically used route shields in its mileage signs.

Circa 2009, the Turnpike Authority was merged into MassHighway and the parent agency was renamed to the current MassDOT.  As a result of that merger, future sign specifications/fabrications along the Pike started to mirror those along other Massachusetts highways; including the use of route shields on mileage signs.

Also, the MUTCD preference for distance signs is to use shields instead of text when a route is provided as a destination.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Magical Trevor

I was curious why, a couple months ago when the faded shields on the EB signs for Exit 10 (including the one-mile advance) were replaced, the two-mile advance sign was left out. Well, an hour ago while traveling WB I just saw that a new overhead "pipe" mount had been erected just a bit before the old roadside sign, with a crane lifting the new one into place.

bob7374

Quote from: Magical Trevor on June 15, 2017, 12:51:53 AM
I was curious why, a couple months ago when the faded shields on the EB signs for Exit 10 (including the one-mile advance) were replaced, the two-mile advance sign was left out. Well, an hour ago while traveling WB I just saw that a new overhead "pipe" mount had been erected just a bit before the old roadside sign, with a crane lifting the new one into place.
Thanks for the update, according to the MassDOT Project Listing, the western project (Exits 1-10) is now 36% complete, while the project to the east is 13% done.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bob7374 on June 16, 2017, 03:43:12 PM
Thanks for the update, according to the MassDOT Project Listing, the western project (Exits 1-10) is now 36% complete, while the project to the east is 13% done.

Was the "Highest point on I-90 east of South Dakota" sign replaced in kind, or did som MUTCD hyper-adherence ruin the fun?  I didn't see it last time, but it was night and I was focused on the fairly heavy traffic.

kefkafloyd

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 17, 2017, 04:47:26 PM

Was the "Highest point on I-90 east of South Dakota" sign replaced in kind, or did som MUTCD hyper-adherence ruin the fun?  I didn't see it last time, but it was night and I was focused on the fairly heavy traffic.

According to bob7374's website with copies of the sign plans, it's intended to be replaced in-kind, though with new wording. Not sure if it has been replaced yet in the field.

AMLNet49

Quote from: kefkafloyd on June 17, 2017, 06:11:43 PM

According to bob7374's website with copies of the sign plans, it's intended to be replaced in-kind, though with new wording. Not sure if it has been replaced yet in the field.
I'm pretty sure if the wording is changed then it's not "in kind". I always though "in kind" was carbon-copy plus modern additions like exit tabs where needed.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: AMLNet49 on June 24, 2017, 12:58:20 PM
Quote from: kefkafloyd on June 17, 2017, 06:11:43 PM

I'm pretty sure if the wording is changed then it's not "in kind". I always though "in kind" was carbon-copy plus modern additions like exit tabs where needed.

For the purpose of my question, it's a replacement in kind.

kefkafloyd

Surprised at the lack of discussion of the new overpass street name signs being installed on bridges crossing the pike. I saw a lot of them out on the western end last weekend.

A change would be noticeable because the previous turnpike authority white-on-black signs didn't match the rest of the state, but the new ones are brand new style that is yet again different from the rest of the state. They're much larger, larger than the concrete parts of the bridges they're mounted to, and the text is in mixed case. They don't fit the bridge design at all. Is this going to be the new standard state-wide? I did not see anything like this on recently re-signed roads like 95 or 290.

Also, RIP the Big Red Sign in Lee, rendered obsolete by AET and interchange redesign work. It's been taken down since the last time I drove west in May. One less oddity on the pike.

bob7374

Photos of the new overheads put up last week for the I-290/I-395/MA 12 exit on the Mass Pike East, courtesy of Shaun Ganley.
The 2-Mile advance sign:

and the 1/2 mile advance sign:

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on June 27, 2017, 12:27:11 PM
Photos of the new overheads put up last week for the I-290/I-395/MA 12 exit on the Mass Pike East, courtesy of Shaun Ganley.
The 2-Mile advance sign:

and the 1/2 mile advance sign:

Nice looking signs.  However, is it me or do the MA 12 shields appear off-centered?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

davewiecking

I think it's centered between "EAST" and "SOUTH", but not between the I-'s...

PHLBOS

IMHO, it (the MA 12 shield) should be centered with respect to the sign panel.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: davewiecking on June 27, 2017, 06:39:40 PM
I think it's centered between "EAST" and "SOUTH", but not between the I-'s...
The perils of relying on GuidSign.

SidS1045

This past weekend the old ramp from the Turnpike westbound to I-95/MA 128 and MA 30 (exit 15) was closed.  The new ramp to 95/128 (now exit 15A) opened about a quarter-mile further west and has eliminated the dangerously short-distanced weave between the now-closed ramp from the Pike and the ramps to 95/128.  As of last night the new ramp from the Pike westbound to MA 30 (now exit 15B) was not open (between the old exit 15 and the new exit 15A), but a detour was posted for drivers to access 30 by using the ramp to 95/128 northbound and taking exit 24 from the C/D road.  The MassDOT blog indicated that the 15B ramp to Park Road, the access road to MA 30, should be open in about a week.

I did not see any auxiliary route shields for 128, on either BGS's or ground-mounts, at or before exit 15A, except on older signs that haven't been replaced.  Maybe MassDOT is finally getting the hint, or are they still in the works?
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

bob7374

Quote from: SidS1045 on June 28, 2017, 11:20:19 AM
This past weekend the old ramp from the Turnpike westbound to I-95/MA 128 and MA 30 (exit 15) was closed.  The new ramp to 95/128 (now exit 15A) opened about a quarter-mile further west and has eliminated the dangerously short-distanced weave between the now-closed ramp from the Pike and the ramps to 95/128.  As of last night the new ramp from the Pike westbound to MA 30 (now exit 15B) was not open (between the old exit 15 and the new exit 15A), but a detour was posted for drivers to access 30 by using the ramp to 95/128 northbound and taking exit 24 from the C/D road.  The MassDOT blog indicated that the 15B ramp to Park Road, the access road to MA 30, should be open in about a week.

I did not see any auxiliary route shields for 128, on either BGS's or ground-mounts, at or before exit 15A, except on older signs that haven't been replaced.  Maybe MassDOT is finally getting the hint, or are they still in the works?
Did the exit tabs look like they could hold a future milepost based number (123 to be exact)?

Good question about the lack of 128 shields. According to the sign replacement project plans there are only to be auxiliary signs for MA 30 at the Weston exit. Looking through the list of shields to be put up, there is no reference to 128 at all while it does list auxiliary trailblazers for MA 146, MA 122, and US 20. For comparison, 26 new shields for I-90 will be going up between Auburn and Boston, 15 paired with Mass Pike logo signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.