News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-90 / Mass Pike Signing Work

Started by bob7374, August 14, 2015, 06:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: bob7374 on November 10, 2017, 11:13:29 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on November 10, 2017, 07:58:46 AM
Quote from: DrSmith on November 09, 2017, 08:16:12 PM
The some of new overhead signs are up eastbound for Rt 146 and Rt 122.
I'll get a chance to see those during the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday/weekend.
I may try to get a look at them the weekend before.
Looks like there will be a delay in getting the remaining signage up for Auburn and west. The contract completion date for that project has been moved from Fall 2017 to Spring 2018.

Is the remaining signage west of Springfield part of that delay? Saw a ton of old and missing signs when driving WB yesterday. The Route 23 bridge still has its old street name signage.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Beeper1

Probably the delay is the advance signage for Exit 1, which was held up while the toll plaza removal contract was wrapping up. 

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on November 07, 2017, 05:23:36 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 07, 2017, 02:21:04 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on November 06, 2017, 11:15:38 PM
I received an e-mail with a question about this destination mileage sign on I-90 West after the Palmer exit (Exit 8) which I thought I'd seek answers to here:

The e-mailer said the mileage to Ludlow has changed from 7 on the previous sign to 8. Checking out GSV to confirm, I also noticed the distance to Springfield had also changed, it previously read as 10 miles. From my list of proposed milepost exit numbers it appears the distance to Springfield was changed to that of the mileage to the I-291 exit (12 miles from Exit 8 at mile 63 to I-291 at mile 51) and the mileage of I-291 to its end at I-91 (5 miles). In the past Mass Pike mileages for destinations along the Pike have been based simply on the distance to the destination's exit. With the Pike now under the control of MassDOT, has there been a change to how distance numbers are calculated? What would account for the change in the Ludlow number, a different rounding method?

Probably that the center of Ludlow is about a mile south of the Pike on MA 21.  Seems they're using distances to the city/town center. So unless the exit empties directly into the town center, mileages will most likely be adjusted.  Worcester will have to be by about 6 miles eastbound (using I-290), and about 4 miles westbound (using MA 146)

That is exactly correct.  Mass. Turnpike Authority policy for distance signs was to provide the distance to the interchange, and not the city/town center.  So, a sign indicating the distance to Palmer would show the distance to Exit 8, and not the town center.

Current MassDOT policy is to measure distances either to the city/town center, or to the city boundary for larger cities such as Springfield (as evidenced on the newer travel time signs). Hence the longer distances on the new Pike signs.
Went back through the I-90 sign plans to see what differences in mileages this change makes. It, naturally, depends on how close I-90 gets to the destination. The distances to Albany and Boston only increase by 1 mile, while the distances to Springfield increase 6 or 7 miles (heading west, 2-3 miles heading east) and to Worcester 7 or 8 miles. There are some interesting changes regarding interstates, which you would think the miles wouldn't change, however westbound after Exit 10 the distance to I-84 is 12 miles, but the older sign had 10. Heading east after the Westfield exit the new sign says it is 6 miles to I-91 while the old sign said 4 (the distance based on mileposts is 5). The new signs consistently have 3 destinations while the old signs varied between 2 and 3.

roadman

The distance to I-91 likely changed because the actual entrance to I-91 from Exit 4 is at the end of a C/D roadway, which is approximately one mile from the exit ramps off the Turnpike.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

I took a road trip to view the new signage placed on the Mass Pike between the I-495 and I-290/I-395 exits yesterday. Progress to report. New signage has been put up for Exits 10A and 11 in both directions. Here's the 1/2 mile advance for the MA 146/US 20 exit:

Progress can also be reported to the east as to the placement of many new sign support foundations. A full set of photos and a description of the progress of the contract are on my I-90 in Mass. Photo Gallery:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i90photos.html

PHLBOS

Observation from this past Thanksgiving weekend but no photos; the faded I-95 shields on the button-copy signage beyond the now-gone interchange toll plaza, have since been replaced.

Shown in its better days circa 2011; these shields were faded beyond recognition circa 2 months ago.  Replacements were match-in-kind

Also from 2011; these shields were practically all-white as of 2 months agoReplacements feature slightly smaller (& narrower stroked) numerals. 

I guess these BGS' aren't being destined to be completely replaced as of yet.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

New overheads have gone up over the past month between MA 9 and I-495 exits. Here's the 1/2 mile advance for I-495 on I-90 West with the new control cities (and next exit distance tab):

This, and other new sign photos sent to me from Freeway Jim Facebook group member Benjamin Long are on my I-90 in Mass. Gallery page:

hotdogPi

Quote from: bob7374 on January 04, 2018, 12:22:59 PM
New overheads have gone up over the past month between MA 9 and I-495 exits. Here's the 1/2 mile advance for I-495 on I-90 West with the new control cities (and next exit distance tab):

This, and other new sign photos sent to me from Freeway Jim Facebook group member Benjamin Long are on my I-90 in Mass. Gallery page:

Skipping over Lowell for a city ⅕ the size?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on January 04, 2018, 12:28:22 PM

Skipping over Lowell for a city ⅕ the size?
Past & previous signage at this interchange never listed Lowell for the off-ramp signage.  It originally listed Marlborough as a northbound 495 control city, then later NH-Maine

However, it is worth noting that at the eastbound gore has 2 BGS' on a cantilevered gantry that list two destinations for each direction of I-495: Lowell/Portsmouth, NH for 495 North & Taunton/cape Cod for I-495 South.  A photo of such is shown in the above-link (scroll down to see it).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

mrsman

I like the new signs especially the tabs showing distance to the next exit.  This should be the model for other roads with sparse exits like NJTP.

PHLBOS

Quote from: mrsman on January 09, 2018, 11:10:36 AM
I like the new signs especially the tabs showing distance to the next exit.  This should be the model for other roads with sparse exits like NJTP.
Previous THRU TRAFFIC pull-through signage along the NJTP listed the distance to the next exit as well.

From this site:

Even the PA Turnpike does such.

Again, from this site:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

RobbieL2415

Cape Cod no longer a control destination?  Did they install ground-mounted secondary destination signs between the half-mile signs?

PHLBOS

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 13, 2018, 09:48:10 PMCape Cod no longer a control destination?  Did they install ground-mounted secondary destination signs between the half-mile signs?
Not sure of the exact location, but there is now a supplemental sign listing Cape Cod for this exit mounted for at least the eastbound direction.  I'm assuming that one for the westbound direction will follow.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hotdogPi

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 15, 2018, 09:07:37 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 13, 2018, 09:48:10 PMCape Cod no longer a control destination?  Did they install ground-mounted secondary destination signs between the half-mile signs?
Not sure of the exact location, but there is now a supplemental sign listing Cape Cod for this exit mounted for at least the eastbound direction.  I'm assuming that one for the westbound direction will follow.

It makes much more sense eastbound than westbound.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

bob7374

Quote from: 1 on January 15, 2018, 09:23:20 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 15, 2018, 09:07:37 AM

It makes much more sense eastbound than westbound.
Drove from Weston to Millbury and back today. There are no new supplemental signs for I-495 westbound. It doesn't appear the contractor has put up most of the auxiliary, destination mileage or gore signs for the eastern project as of yet, as opposed to the western project contractor which put up most of the new ground-level signage before tackling the overheads. Here's a photo of the new 1/2 mile advance sign for I-495 headed east:

The rest of the photos are on my I-90 in Mass. Photo Gallery:

kefkafloyd

Just a correction, the town for exit 3 is Westfield, not Westford.

DrSmith

Apparently, they decided to spell Westborough as Westboro on the new Pike signs (town line and service plaza sign)

Alps

Quote from: DrSmith on March 20, 2018, 11:09:37 PM
Apparently, they decided to spell Westborough as Westboro on the new Pike signs (town line and service plaza sign)
In anticipation of the church moving in.

spooky

I believe that MassDOT as a rule shortens the -ough towns to -o on highway signage.

SectorZ

Quote from: Alps on March 20, 2018, 11:16:05 PM
In anticipation of the church moving in.

Oh my God that reminds me of a story...

I was working in Worcester in the mid-2000's, and worked with this kid (that lived in Spencer at the time) that was (rightfully) railing against that church, and was talking about driving to Westboro to picket it and confront the heads of it. Kid literally thought it was down the street in Westboro MA. I broke his poor heart when I told him they were about 1500 miles away in Kansas.

roadman

Quote from: spooky on March 21, 2018, 07:30:02 AM

I believe that MassDOT as a rule shortens the -ough towns to -o on highway signage.
That is correct.  The rule goes back to the late MassDPW days.  The existing Turnpike signs not yet replaced are among the last holdouts for full spelling.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

AMLNet49

Quote from: roadman on March 21, 2018, 09:49:09 AM

That is correct.  The rule goes back to the late MassDPW days.  The existing Turnpike signs not yet replaced are among the last holdouts for full spelling.
And those weren't even part of the MassDPW rules right? Because before 2009 the Mass Pike had its own unique signing standards? Did MTA also change their standards when MassDPW did or was -ough the MTA standard all the way thru 2008?

roadman

Quote from: AMLNet49 on March 21, 2018, 03:20:43 PM
And those weren't even part of the MassDPW rules right? Because before 2009 the Mass Pike had its own unique signing standards? Did MTA also change their standards when MassDPW did or was -ough the MTA standard all the way thru 2008?
Full spelling of the 'ough' towns was MTA standard up until the very end.  Also note that, with the exception of "spot" replacements, the last major BGS replacement/upgrade along the Turnpike prior to the current work was in the 1990s.

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on March 21, 2018, 06:48:46 PM
Quote from: AMLNet49 on March 21, 2018, 03:20:43 PM
Full spelling of the 'ough' towns was MTA standard up until the very end.  Also note that, with the exception of "spot" replacements, the last major BGS replacement/upgrade along the Turnpike prior to the current work was in the 1990s.
Here's a photo westbound contrasting the new town spelling policy on the right with the old on the left:

Here's the new Westboro Service Plaza sign without the -ugh:

bob7374

I drove the Mass Pike westbound from Weston to the NY border last Friday. With the exception of maybe a few more town/city border signs, nothing new to report for the eastern contract since I last drove out to Sturbridge last month. What's more interesting is what has happened, or more accurately, not happened on the western contract from Exit 10 on. There has been no additional sign placements since I traveled through last July. No new signs at Exit 9, no new overhead gantries at Exits 6 and 5, no new signs for Exit 1 at all (except placed at the exit ramp under the toll plaza removal contract). Is there something going on with the contractor, Road Safe Systems? I can understand not working in the winter months, but more than 9 months without any additional work? Did notice that the mile markers put up in the vicinity of the Westfield River bridge, that were on the right instead of the left as everywhere else, due to the concrete center median, had been removed. Hopefully, work will be at least completed on the eastern section by the summer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.