News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-90 / Mass Pike Signing Work

Started by bob7374, August 14, 2015, 06:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

Quote from: Beeper1 on October 09, 2019, 10:55:49 PM
Drove the Pike through the Springfield area today.   The button copy assembly at Exit 6 WB is still there.  I really thought it would have been long gone by now.
You would think so since the replacement gantry support posts were put up about a year ago. The latest MassDOT listing says the project is to be complete this fall, so I guess they have a couple months more to finish the work (at last check they also needed to put up 1/2 mile advance overheads for Exit 1 WB and for Exit 2 EB).

bob7374

Looks like the contractors are finally getting around to placing the last new overhead sign westbound at the I-290 interchange on Auburn. From MassDOT's Twitter account:
Traffic Alert: #Auburn- I-90 E/W at Interchange 10, overnight intermittent lane closures, rolling roadblocks thru Thurs, Oct 24, 11pm-5am. Overhead sign installation.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on October 21, 2019, 06:10:44 PM
Looks like the contractors are finally getting around to placing the last new overhead sign westbound at the I-290 interchange on Auburn. From MassDOT's Twitter account:
Traffic Alert: #Auburn- I-90 E/W at Interchange 10, overnight intermittent lane closures, rolling roadblocks thru Thurs, Oct 24, 11pm-5am. Overhead sign installation.
I may have to take a slight detour while heading home from this weekend's Newburyport meet to see it in the field.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Now we just need the town line signs in the Berkshires and the overheads near Springfield to go in. I'll be able to check on those Friday.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cl94

Exit 6 WB button copy remains. Still missing the town/county line signs at the Otis/Blandford line and a few assorted warning signs.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Beeper1

Passing through western MA, numerous town line signs still not replaced (Blandford/Otis,  Warren/Brimfield,  Westfield/W. Springfield, eastbound Westfield River & Russell/Montgomery).    The button copy at Exit 6 WB is still in place.

Most of the progress of the last 6 moths seems to be on the BGSs on the on-ramp splits.

DrSmith

On the Pike Westbound after the Allston-Brighton onramp there is a new Speed Limit 40 sign.  A short bit down the road (1/4 mile maybe?) there's a new 55 mph sign.  Not sure if the speed drop is from the old toll plaza and still marked as such through there, choosing the post a lower speed limit through the curves there (as opposed to advisory speeds) or something else.

Ben114

Quote from: DrSmith on December 04, 2019, 12:00:26 AM
On the Pike Westbound after the Allston-Brighton onramp there is a new Speed Limit 40 sign.  A short bit down the road (1/4 mile maybe?) there's a new 55 mph sign.  Not sure if the speed drop is from the old toll plaza and still marked as such through there, choosing the post a lower speed limit through the curves there (as opposed to advisory speeds) or something else.
Given the distance between the signs, it's most likely a speed limit from the tight curves in that area.

cl94

It's Massachusetts. Advisory speeds generally do not exist outside of ramps. They likely lowered the limit for the curves as is typical on surface roads.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: cl94 on October 22, 2019, 10:40:47 AM
Now we just need the town line signs in the Berkshires and the overheads near Springfield to go in. I'll be able to check on those Friday.

There's already ones up for Becket and Lee.

RobbieL2415

Because MA likes to be able to enforce speed limits.  If you make it an advisory sign you can only be ticketed for a basic speed law violation.  If there's an actual limit posted then it has statutory protection and they can go after you for actual speeding.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on December 04, 2019, 11:34:38 AM

It's Massachusetts. Advisory speeds generally do not exist outside of ramps. They likely lowered the limit for the curves as is typical on surface roads.
Many ramps use statutory limits as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 04, 2019, 11:54:57 AM
Because MA likes to be able to enforce speed limits.  If you make it an advisory sign you can only be ticketed for a basic speed law violation.  If there's an actual limit posted then it has statutory protection and they can go after you for actual speeding.
Yeah, but every curve does not warrant a speed limit.

bob7374

This tweet was posted earlier today by MassDOT. Don't know if it's related to the long-standing I-90 sign replacement project or a separate contract with the US 5/I-90/I-91 connector roadway:
"Alert: West Springfield- Route 5 N/S ramps to I-90 closed overnight, Mon-Tues, Jan 20-21, 9pm-5:30am. Sign installation. Posted detour."

kefkafloyd

RIP those button copy signs on the ramp connector that have been around since who-knows-when.

bob7374

While the signing work on the eastern half of the Pike may be almost completed (still some needed town line signs and reassurance markers), the completion date for the western contract (NY line to Auburn) has been moved back in the MassDOT project listing to Summer 2020. Just in time for new exit numbers?

PHLBOS

With regards to the above: does such include replacing these left-over signs along I-84 eastbound?  At minimum, the I-90 shields should be replaced; the 9s on both shields lost their reflectivity years ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 31, 2020, 12:44:28 PM
With regards to the above: does such include replacing these left-over signs along I-84 eastbound?  At minimum, the I-90 shields should be replaced; the 9s on both shields lost their reflectivity years ago.

It is my understanding that the new signs and support at this location have recently been installed, and that the existing signs and support are to be removed shortly.  The new signs are located closer to the ramp gore, and the lane arrows will reflect the current 3 to 2+2 configuration at the ramps.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

mariethefoxy

Theyre gone, I couldnt get a photo but the new signs have the Hat logo and teh NH-Maine control city was replaced with Worcester

shadyjay

Are they ever going to get around to the final sign for Exit 10 and Exit 6, westbound?  Why is it taking them so long to just install 2 gantries?

mariethefoxy

One thing I noticed with the new signs is theres an error on the one for Exit 10 Eastbound for 290/395/12 it has two arrows for the exit only but its only one lane, looks like it was two lanes but it was changed to one. That extra lane would be nice since I always seem to get stuck behind some 18 wheeler going wicked slow thru that whole interchange.

Beeper1

The westbound Exit 10 assembly was replaced a couple months ago. 

The Exit 6 button copy has not and is still there.

cl94

No further progress west of Exit 4 as of today. Berkshire/Hampden C/L signs are missing, as are a few overpass signs.

roadman

Quote from: mariethefoxy on February 02, 2020, 01:49:53 PM
One thing I noticed with the new signs is theres an error on the one for Exit 10 Eastbound for 290/395/12 it has two arrows for the exit only but its only one lane, looks like it was two lanes but it was changed to one. That extra lane would be nice since I always seem to get stuck behind some 18 wheeler going wicked slow thru that whole interchange.

This issue has been brought to MassDOT's attention, and will be corrected by removing the left arrow on the sign.  When the I-90 sign replacement project was in design, the exit ramp at this location was two lanes.  The ramp was changed to one lane late during the legacy toll demo project for I/C 10. 
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Took a quick road trip on Sunday to capture some of the new signs put up along the Mass Pike between Boston and Framingham over the past few months. Work is still not complete, with some reassurance markers and town line signs still in need of replacement. The new reassurance markers westbound between Allston/Brighton and Weston have the Mass Pike logo shield on top, opposite to the new ones put up between Weston and Auburn:

and those I saw put up eastbound in Newton. The rest of the new, and still need to be replaced, signs are on my I-90/Mass Pike Photo Gallery:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i90photos.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.