News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

This is a general thread for all of Massachusetts.

Here are some things I want to know:

1. Almost EVERY weekday from about 3 to 7 PM, I-95/MA128 north from exits 33 to 37 will be backed up. Is there anything anyone can do to prevent the traffic from happening?

2. Mile markers are sometimes off by a bit, but the bridges are ALWAYS accurate. Why is this?

3. What has been happening with the Mass Pike tolls from exits 1-6?

4. Will the 128/127 and 1A/16/60 rotaries be made safer?

5. Why are there so many Dunkin Donuts?

6. Why are New Hampshire routes signed in Massachusetts shown with a Massachusetts shield? (NH 121A and NH 107)

7. Why so many MA shield signs for US routes?

8. Why can't MA 3 just be US 3?

9. What was MA 9 under the New England Route system?

10. Can anyone make the Lowell Connector much safer?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NE2

Quote from: 1 on October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM
Is there anything anyone can do to prevent the traffic from happening?
No. Traffic just happens by itself. It has no correlation to the actions of anyone.

What was MA 9 under the New England Route system?
Goat. http://broermapsonline.org/online/NorthAmerica/UnitedStates/NewEngland/
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dgolub

There are a lot in Connecticut, too.  I've sometimes wondered how many Dunkin Donuts franchises you'd pass if you drove US 1 from New York City to Boston.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhere on the order of 50.

ARMOURERERIC

FWIW, it has just been announced that San Diego is getting their first Duncan Doughuts

connroadgeek

Dunkin' Donuts is based in MA so they are everywhere in the New England states though they have been expanding their market.

NE2

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 12, 2013, 08:24:24 PM
FWIW, it has just been announced that San Diego is getting their first Duncan Doughuts
Is that a cheap knockoff?

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Quote from: NE2 on October 12, 2013, 09:40:47 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 12, 2013, 08:24:24 PM
Is that a cheap knockoff?
Duncan Doughuts is and is not a counterfeit Dunkin Donuts.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SidS1045

1. Almost EVERY weekday from about 3 to 7 PM, I-95/MA128 north from exits 33 to 37 will be backed up. Is there anything anyone can do to prevent the traffic from happening?

Rebuild the I-95/I-93 interchange in Woburn/Reading.  As long as it remains a cloverleaf, and I-95 north loses a lane between exits 37 and 38, the traffic will back up there.

Quote from: 1 on October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM3. What has been happening with the Mass Pike tolls from exits 1-6?

Reinstated as of October 15th.  http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/main/tabid/1075/ctl/detail/mid/2937/itemid/359/Western-Turnpike-Toll-Collection-Resumes-October-15--2013-Between-Interchanges-1-and-6.aspx
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

deathtopumpkins

7. Why so many MA shield signs for US routes?

Because MassDOT treats all routes equally - be they state, US, or Interstate. It's all just Route 128, Route 1, Route 95. Thus shield mix-ups are fairly common.

Quote8. Why can't MA 3 just be US 3?

It has been determined for some reason that part of the route in Cambridge and Boston does not meet US highway standards. I doubt MassDOT would care about redesignating it as a US route anyway, since for decades it's always just been Route 3. Especially given the number of shield errors I don't think anyone actually knows or cares the difference.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

NE2

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on October 13, 2013, 12:21:31 AM
It has been determined for some reason that part of the route in Cambridge and Boston does not meet US highway standards.
I doubt this is the reason, since the standards don't change when you cross Mass Ave. It's simply not US 3 because it was never made part of US 3.

dgolub

Quote from: NE2 on October 13, 2013, 01:21:14 AM
It has been determined for some reason that part of the route in Cambridge and Boston does not meet US highway standards.
I doubt this is the reason, since the standards don't change when you cross Mass Ave. It's simply not US 3 because it was never made part of US 3.

US highway standards?  What standards?  US routes get routed along pairs of one-lane one-way streets.  It's not like interstates where they can't have traffic lights, low bridges, narrow lanes, etc.

NE2

New U.S. Routes (and extensions) must meet AASHTO Green Book standards.

dgolub

Quote from: NE2 on October 13, 2013, 02:55:25 PM
New U.S. Routes (and extensions) must meet AASHTO Green Book standards.

And what about MA 3 wouldn't meet the standards?

NE2

Presumably the part on Mem Drive-Longfellow Bridge-Embankment Road. Not that US 3 on Mem Drive is built to any higher standards, but ASSHTO is anal.

vdeane

Quote from: dgolub on October 13, 2013, 12:14:31 PM

US highway standards?  What standards?  US routes get routed along pairs of one-lane one-way streets.  It's not like interstates where they can't have traffic lights, low bridges, narrow lanes, etc.
US 11 in Watertown, NY is even on a residential street with no pavement markings and all-way stops!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

deathtopumpkins

That's just the excuse I've heard several times in several places, including on this forum.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

NE2

Nothing beats US 83 Business in San Ygnacio, TX. This is a two-way street: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=27.044851,-99.443886&spn=0.015499,0.028346&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=27.044667,-99.443818&panoid=jJ7AUrVZ7azRAFWN0Pu-aw&cbp=12,311.63,,0,13.11
Doesn't seem to have any businesses, though there are some historic buildings. It looks to be completely unsigned from US 83.

vdeane

Maybe some day that route can be business I-2.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Given that this situation has been there since the 1920s, standards don't enter into the equation.

PHLBOS

When I was up in the Boston area this past weekend, I saw something I'd never thought I'd see; a Dunkin Donuts that was closed for good... the one along MA 1A in Revere just north of Bell Circle (MA 16/60 jct.).

The reason for US 3 changing over to MA 3 at its current location in Cambridge is due to; once upon a time, US 1 ran through that area pre-1971.  Although it is allowed, MassDPW at the time didn't want any part of US 3 situated east of US 1.  Why the US 3 designation wasn't extended to Boston when US 1 replaced MA C1 along Storrow Drive is anyone's guess.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dgolub

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 15, 2013, 08:32:27 AM
The reason for US 3 changing over to MA 3 at its current location in Cambridge is due to; once upon a time, US 1 ran through that area pre-1971.  Although it is allowed, MassDPW at the time didn't want any part of US 3 situated east of US 1.  Why the US 3 designation wasn't extended to Boston when US 1 replaced MA C1 along Storrow Drive is anyone's guess.

Inertia, I suppose.

spooky

Quote from: dgolub on October 12, 2013, 07:32:33 PM

There are a lot in Connecticut, too.  I've sometimes wondered how many Dunkin Donuts franchises you'd pass if you drove US 1 from New York City to Boston.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's somewhere on the order of 50.

I figure it's somewhere on the order of 50 just from Providence to Boston.

When I was up in the Boston area this past weekend, I saw something I'd never thought I'd see; a Dunkin Donuts that was closed for good... the one along MA 1A in Revere just north of Bell Circle (MA 16/60 jct.).

There is one of those on VFW Parkway in West Roxbury, about 1/4 mile south of another DD. When I lived in West Roxbury and used Providence Highway/US 1 to get to work, there were 7 DD along my 8 mile commute.

roadman

Under their current policies, it is highly unlikely that AASHTO would approve the re-designation of MA 3 as part of US 3.  IMHO, the more logical approach would be to discontinue US 3 entirely, then re-designate US 3 between Cambridge and Tyngsborough as part of MA 3, and re-designate US 3 from Nashua north as NH 3.  This is also consistent with curretn AASHTO policy, which encourages adjacent states to create same-numbered state routes in lieu of using US designations.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on October 15, 2013, 10:13:56 AM

Under their current policies, it is highly unlikely that AASHTO would approve the re-designation of MA 3 as part of US 3.  IMHO, the more logical approach would be to discontinue US 3 entirely, then re-designate US 3 between Cambridge and Tyngsborough as part of MA 3, and re-designate US 3 from Nashua north as NH 3.  This is also consistent with curretn AASHTO policy, which encourages adjacent states to create same-numbered state routes in lieu of using US designations.
Or alternatively, discontinue MA 3 and, as many have suggested, designate current MA 3 from Braintree to Bourne as an interstate, I-93 or an I-93 spur. I know, that is probably just as likely as extending US 3 to the Cape, but if MassDOT can look into redesignating MA 24 as an interstate, why not MA 3?

bob7374

:-D
Quote from: spooky on October 15, 2013, 09:01:21 AM
Quote from: dgolub on October 12, 2013, 07:32:33 PM

I figure it's somewhere on the order of 50 just from Providence to Boston.

There is one of those on VFW Parkway in West Roxbury, about 1/4 mile south of another DD. When I lived in West Roxbury and used Providence Highway/US 1 to get to work, there were 7 DD along my 8 mile commute.
As I've always joked, one of the worst directions you can give anyone in the Boston area: Turn right when you see the Dunkin' Donuts.  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.