News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Atlanta

Started by Chris, January 28, 2009, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawkin

Thanks for the video. Speaking as someone who lives and works in that area of 285. This is another band aid on a bullet wound. I was disappointed to see only one interchange added and only one lane added. 285 will still be conjested in the main lanes during rush hours from 6-10am and 3-8pm. This is not enough. The toll prices on this stretch will probably average 8-10 dollars 1 way during peak hours...

Eth

Complete lack of access to/from US 78 is certainly......a choice that was made.

Tomahawkin

Good damn point. Plus that interchange needs to be totally redone. Those left lane on ramps from 78 to 285 with 400 feet of merging distance is another why 285 is hell during rush hour. This is looking more and more liked a rushed concept. This should have been done 20 years ago. Also no plans for any express bus parking or A MARTA train route that could run parallel to 285 in the future. This is a total rushed job. With no imput

Finrod

The Georgia DOT really needs to re-evaluate the traffic patterns in Cobb with the tollercoaster open.  I was at Terrell Mill facing NE waiting to turn onto Powers Ferry north at about 5:30pm on a weekday, and the light only let about 4 cars per lane from Terrell Mill to go when they were backed up 10 or more per lane.  I've seen Terrell Mill backed up there lots every evening rush hour.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Tomahawkin

That's not suprising. Traffic on every surface street in both Cobb and Fulton counties is pure hell at rush hour...

Georgia

Tomahawkin

I watched the 285 (East Atlanta) express lanes video again, and I need to ask if it's me or does this project look like a utter diaster at the 285/78 interchange? Hence the fact that there is no ramp access from the toll lanes to get onto US 78. Only option would be to cross 4 lanes of traffic on 285 to access the current US 78 exit ramps, which is no picnic to do during any hour of the day...???

Tom958

Quote from: Georgia on July 29, 2019, 08:26:13 PM
Northwest Express southern entrance/exit ramp planned for Akers Mill Road.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/million-grant-awarded-for-express-lane-exit-ramp-cobb/Z79t0i4fTzvu2vxyM7bKCN/?ecmp=cobbco&utm_medium=social&utm_source=cobb_fb&fbclid=IwAR31tNQdkawKVNvKKw7HPGX5t1XWKOJlne66DNO4Gn8hnTE41c9i50pJ7w8

Thanks- - I'd missed this. It's such an obvious thing to do, especially with southward-oriented HOV ramps already in place there. I'd assumed that the reason they hadn't already been built was that gradient of the ramps would be unacceptably steep. Maybe they changed the definition of acceptable... or maybe replacement of the original 285 CD bridge over 75 helped in some way.

Now for the missing HOV connection to Fourteenth Street.

Finrod

In doing work to put in a traffic light on Powers Ferry between Terrell Mill and Delk Road, they've been stripping the top layer of the pavement and repaving-- except they stripped the northbound lanes Friday and left them stripped the whole weekend, which wouldn't be quite so bad except that they left sharp edges, the kind that still jolt your car when you drive over them at 5mph.

Grumble mutter.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Georgia

I am just hoping that GDOT and SRTA have the common sense to link all the express lanes together.  If i dont want to drive with the unwashed masses from Acworth to I-20 on the west side, I should have the option.  With all the 285 lanes coming, i have seen no mention of their inter-linking the projects.

Tomahawkin

The only linkage of the future express lanes linkage is top end 285 and 400. I haven't seen or heard anything else. Hopefully we will find out something in the next 6 months. I curious to see if we get added toll lane flyovers @ Spaghetti Junction? Which I think is highly impossible with all the development there...

Tomahawkin

Anyone know the Estimated completion of the 400/285 interchange? Driving by it this week, it still looks like another 18 months until completion at the earliest because of the task of having to blast throw all that rock that is adjacent to 285 and Peachtree Dunwoody road...

Georgia

Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 06, 2019, 02:37:27 PM
Anyone know the Estimated completion of the 400/285 interchange? Driving by it this week, it still looks like another 18 months until completion at the earliest because of the task of having to blast throw all that rock that is adjacent to 285 and Peachtree Dunwoody road...

according to the GDOT website for the project(yes, i knoooooow), sometime in 2020, but it has to be late '20 at best.  lot of work left to go. 

http://www.dot.ga.gov/BS/Projects/SpecialProjects/I285SR400

Tomahawkin

It has to be late December 2020. Unless they are going to open up a few ramps at a time? The preparation for the 400 toll lanes that will start in that area will probably extend the construction of the interchange, IMO

Buffaboy

Why does the I-285/I-20 interchange have so many cameras?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Tomahawkin

Does anyone know what GDOT Is doing with the construction on IH 75 between Forest Pkwy and the 285 interchange? I'm hoping they are making collector/distributor lanes next to the main lanes on 75 to improve access to the 285 EB and WB ramps. That area is hell, especially at night because its a 1 mile merge and there is no overhead lighting, which is beyond me! SMH

Georgia

Looking on GeoPI, there is  a 75SB project working on CD lanes from 285 to Forest Parkway.  Problem is, 2029 is construction start date so that isnt it( PROJECT # 0012759). 

Found it, Project # 713210, 75 NB CD lanes from Forest Parkway to 285.  NTP was 7/18 and it is an Archer Western project. 

Project summary is:  These improvements include reconfiguration of the Forest Parkway at I-75 Interchange ramps and the I-285 at I-75 Interchange ramps, operational improvements to the I-75 corridor between Forest Parkway and I-285, and reconfiguration of the Frontage Road along the east side of I-75. In summary, approximately 3.26 miles of interchange ramp modifications and new collector-distributor adjacent to northbound I-75 connecting to Forest Parkway and I-285 in Clayton County.

Tomahawkin

Thanks for the 411. This should have been done 30 years ago! I noticed the frontage road being push away. Are there any pictures of the finished product? Also Im guessing that there is also future planning of toll lanes being added there 10 years from now?

Georgia

Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 12, 2019, 11:16:26 PM
Thanks for the 411. This should have been done 30 years ago! I noticed the frontage road being push away. Are there any pictures of the finished product? Also Im guessing that there is also future planning of toll lanes being added there 10 years from now?

Ha, looking in the project files for the southbound project, there are letters to various municipalities starting in 1996 about the "upcoming project" that will end up being 35ish years old when completed.  PE work was started in 1995. 

Not really any good pictures of the project that I saw. 

Tom958

Quote from: Georgia on November 13, 2019, 02:15:14 AM

https://movinghenryforward.org/2019/06/04/travels-tuesday-georgia-dot-awards-76-4-million-dollar-contract-for-i-75-cd-system-in-clayton-county/?fbclid=IwAR2GrNvzQ1OFKMVRHYdwzfyaYijdoP8LwCBoc0wwne3pF5ciP_2ZEQzFzcs, which leads to https://por.dot.ga.gov/projectInfo/713210-/JPG/713210_PIOH%20Display.pdf

I must've found that link here.  :-D

The footprint of the project is very small, and it doesn't involve replacing the 1959 bridges carrying GA 331 over I-75.

Eth

Quote from: Georgia on November 13, 2019, 02:15:14 AM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 12, 2019, 11:16:26 PM

Ha, looking in the project files for the southbound project, there are letters to various municipalities starting in 1996 about the "upcoming project" that will end up being 35ish years old when completed.  PE work was started in 1995. 

Incidentally, that sounds like right around the time that the old northbound exit 79 to the frontage road was taken out. (I know it was before 2000 because the exit was gone before the mileage-based renumbering happened.) I wonder if that was related.

Tomahawkin

Thanks for that download. This was long overdue. The 331 bridges need to be gutted as well as that antiquated/turd green S.R. 85 bridge that ramps on to IH 75 underneath S.R. 331

Finrod

I'm wondering if the stoplight installed at Paper Mill Road and Woodlawn Drive is ever going to be activated.  It was installed something like 2 years ago and has done nothing but blink ever since.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-v0jrh2RqY

Here is an aminated video of the future improvements at the I-285/I-20 East Interchange in Atlanta.

Tomahawkin

Thanks for the 411 on that video. Those collector/distributor lane extensions and flyovers were 25 years overdue. I hope the money to fund this project and the 285/75 south of Atlanta road projects are being funded by money collected from the recent toll lane projects???

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.