Bad milk in the 1980s/1990s/2000s

Started by bandit957, March 07, 2019, 10:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on March 09, 2019, 02:25:13 PM
the thought of drinking it plain makes me feel a bit queasy.

I get that same feeling with the thought of drinking a glass of whole milk.

Call it milk water all you want, but drinking a tall glass of cold skim milk on a hot day is excellent. For cereal and cooking, though, I like to use one percent.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on March 09, 2019, 02:20:09 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2019, 01:38:49 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 08, 2019, 11:41:47 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2019, 11:39:50 AMNot true around here.  Still, I think I read somewhere that there is some strange geographic patterns as to where people drink whole and where people drink skim.
I read that suburbs mostly drink skim, while very urban and very rural areas mostly drink whole.
That sounds right to me.

I would say urban drinks "healthy" non-milks like soy and almond, suburbs drink skim or 1%, rural drinks 2%.

I honestly don't know anyone who drinks whole milk besides babies/young kids. We live in the suburbs, and we usually have both skim and 2% in the house. Skim seems to be the biggest seller at the grocery stores in our area.

I think it's mostly a case of what you grew up drinking. When we were kids, our mom always bought 2% milk because the doctor recommended it, and to this day I find whole milk or skim milk revolting (never had 1% as far as I know). I'll buy whole milk if a recipe specifies it, but I won't drink it. My cousins from Brooklyn grew up drinking whole milk and they feel even 2% is too watery.

We bought almond milk once to see what it tasted like. Didn't care for it.

I don't drink milk by itself that often other than with certain desserts (usually chocolate, like brownies or cookies–but not ice cream), but this morning I accidentally drank some of the sludge in the bottom of my coffee mug and milk was excellent for getting rid of the nasty taste. 
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bandit957

One thing I don't drink at all is coffee. I just don't understand the attraction to it.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Beltway

Quote from: bandit957 on March 09, 2019, 05:39:34 PM
One thing I don't drink at all is coffee. I just don't understand the attraction to it.

Is that one of those things you need to acquire a "taste for"?  To me it tastes horrible.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Beltway on March 09, 2019, 09:05:00 PM
Is that one of those things you need to acquire a "taste for"?  To me it tastes horrible.

I'd assume so. I can only drink coffee if I put a ton of sugar and flavorings in it–as such, I pretty much never drink it. Black coffee is nasty.

Roadgeekteen

I can drink plain milk but it might change when I am older.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 09, 2019, 10:56:59 PM
You'll have to switch to chocolate?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Yes, and I drink drip coffee black, which you REALLY have to acquire a taste for.

I started in high school and back then it was out of some idiotic "real men do this"  belief I had, but today I just don't like the thought of cream in coffee, and I don't need sweetener in it. Coffee and milk is just fine, though.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 09, 2019, 05:33:21 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 09, 2019, 02:20:09 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2019, 01:38:49 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 08, 2019, 11:41:47 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 08, 2019, 11:39:50 AMNot true around here.  Still, I think I read somewhere that there is some strange geographic patterns as to where people drink whole and where people drink skim.
I read that suburbs mostly drink skim, while very urban and very rural areas mostly drink whole.
That sounds right to me.

I would say urban drinks "healthy" non-milks like soy and almond, suburbs drink skim or 1%, rural drinks 2%.

I honestly don't know anyone who drinks whole milk besides babies/young kids. We live in the suburbs, and we usually have both skim and 2% in the house. Skim seems to be the biggest seller at the grocery stores in our area.

I think it's mostly a case of what you grew up drinking. When we were kids, our mom always bought 2% milk because the doctor recommended it, and to this day I find whole milk or skim milk revolting (never had 1% as far as I know). I'll buy whole milk if a recipe specifies it, but I won't drink it. My cousins from Brooklyn grew up drinking whole milk and they feel even 2% is too watery.

We bought almond milk once to see what it tasted like. Didn't care for it.

I don't drink milk by itself that often other than with certain desserts (usually chocolate, like brownies or cookies–but not ice cream), but this morning I accidentally drank some of the sludge in the bottom of my coffee mug and milk was excellent for getting rid of the nasty taste.
We also drank 2% growing up, and I drink 1% now. Whole or skim is also revolting to me, and I can barely do 2% these days. They sell 0.5% milk in Michigan, but I've never tried it.

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 10, 2019, 09:40:01 AM

Yes, and I drink drip coffee black, which you REALLY have to acquire a taste for.

I started in high school and back then it was out of some idiotic "real men do this"  belief I had, but today I just don't like the thought of cream in coffee, and I don't need sweetener in it. Coffee and milk is just fine, though.

I've always consumed my coffee black, going back to when I started drinking it. My parents drank it black; in my father's case, that was for health reasons to do with the sugar. So they didn't have cream around the house and I never got into the habit of using it–unless I'm drinking that New Orleans—style coffee with chicory (I seldom do), which is simply too darn strong without something to cut it. I also have an Indonesian coffee recipe that uses some spices in the brewing and calls for putting coconut milk in it when drinking it. I tried that one both ways and it was better with the coconut milk.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on March 09, 2019, 11:07:19 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 09, 2019, 10:56:59 PM
You'll have to switch to chocolate?
Well I prefer chocolate.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ce929wax

Every once in a while I will have a glass of plain milk, but not often.  I occasionally drink chocolate milk.   

hbelkins

I'm not a coffee drinker either. We weren't allowed to drink it as kids; it was an "adult" drink (although we did drink tea and pop). I tried it a couple of times and really didn't like it. Truth be told, I'm not a fan of hot drinks of any kind, although I will drink hot chocolate. I'd rather have iced tea than hot tea.

I think most people drink coffee for the caffeine. On my Facebook feed, there's almost a stoner culture-type series of posts from people who love their coffee, don't talk to them until they've had their morning coffee, posting pictures of gallon-jug-sized coffee mugs, and so on.

I've never needed a caffeine boost. I drink caffeinated diet soft drinks, because they're the most readily available, but I can just as easily drink a gold-label non-caffeinated Diet Coke as a gray-label caffeinated one.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2019, 01:58:11 PM
I think most people drink coffee for the caffeine. On my Facebook feed, there's almost a stoner culture-type series of posts from people who love their coffee, don't talk to them until they've had their morning coffee, posting pictures of gallon-jug-sized coffee mugs, and so on.
I've never needed a caffeine boost. I drink caffeinated diet soft drinks, because they're the most readily available, but I can just as easily drink a gold-label non-caffeinated Diet Coke as a gray-label caffeinated one.

I like hot tea, and it has some caffeine in it.  Sweetened with Stevia.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

DaBigE

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2019, 01:58:11 PM

That's the excuse I use when having a Coke at 9:30 am...it's how I choose to get my caffeine kick after a poor night's sleep.  I've never been a mud water (err...coffee) person and I don't think I ever will be. It's taken 35 years just to tolerate the smell of the coffee aisle in the grocery store.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: DaBigE on March 10, 2019, 04:06:41 PM
It's taken 35 years just to tolerate the smell of the coffee aisle in the grocery store.

See, I think coffee smells great, but tastes like drain cleaner. I love the smells of coffee at the grocery store.

Road Hog

I don't drink a lot of milk, so when I need it for cooking, etc. I get soy or almond milk -- not because I'm a health "nut" (get it?), but because it keeps a whole lot longer.

hbelkins

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 10, 2019, 04:35:26 PM
It's taken 35 years just to tolerate the smell of the coffee aisle in the grocery store.

See, I think coffee smells great, but tastes like drain cleaner. I love the smells of coffee at the grocery store.

I don't mind the smell of it either, but just don't have anything for the taste.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on March 10, 2019, 08:19:25 PM
I don't mind the smell of it either, but just don't have anything for the taste.

Yeah, I find coffee bitter, but I can enjoy it iced from Dunkin with lots of cream and sugar.
As a friend of mine says, "no use burning your mouth for a bad taste!"  :-D

abefroman329

How do you know what drain cleaner tastes like?

Beltway

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 11, 2019, 02:49:47 PM

Does it taste like Ipecac?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 11, 2019, 02:49:47 PM

I like to chug Drāno.

cjk374

Mom raised us on 2%. I drink whole milk now...and have been for 25 years.

As for cooking, I use whole milk. The more milk fat, the creamier your food will be.

Buttermilk is super-gross. I only use it when making home made biscuits.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ce929wax

I usually drink 1% when I drink it.  I would prefer 2%, but it is a compromise with my Mom since she prefers skim and I don't like skim.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.