News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mon-Fayette Expressway

Started by Mr_Northside, August 03, 2009, 10:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

The PA Turnpike contract lettings page shows a date of December 21 for opening bids for Mon Fayette section 53 A-1

tylert120

I'm 30 years old. Will I ever be able to use the section to Monroeville in my lifetime?  :spin:

ski-man

Quote from: tylert120 on November 01, 2022, 08:02:22 AM
I'm 30 years old. Will I ever be able to use the section to Monroeville in my lifetime?  :spin:
I wouldn't bet much on that......

ARMOURERERIC

And the trek to Kennywood begins:. Trumbull was the low bidder for the contract to extend the Money Fayette from PA 51 to Coal Hollow Road....$231 M

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on December 21, 2022, 01:38:38 PM
And the trek to Kennywood begins:. Trumbull was the low bidder for the contract to extend the Money Fayette from PA 51 to Coal Hollow Road....$231 M
Contract awarded today

Henry

I find this factoid rather amusing:

The Mon-Fayette Expressway was once proposed to be I-97 (though not contiguous with the Baltimore-Annapolis Interstate). At least in PA's twisted scheme, it would've fit right in the grid, being west of the current I-99 corridor.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

algorerhythms

Quote from: Henry on January 18, 2023, 07:44:45 PM
I find this factoid rather amusing:

The Mon-Fayette Expressway was once proposed to be I-97 (though not contiguous with the Baltimore-Annapolis Interstate). At least in PA's twisted scheme, it would've fit right in the grid, being west of the current I-99 corridor.
All part of the plan to delete New Jersey.

The Ghostbuster

Which would be worse? Designating PA 43 as Interstate 97, or designating US 219 as Interstate 67?

webny99

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 07, 2023, 03:36:51 PM
Which would be worse? Designating PA 43 as Interstate 97, or designating US 219 as Interstate 67?

Definitely the former, because there's already an existing I-97 but no hope that it would ever connect to PA 43. At least US 219 is a reasonable long distance corridor for I-67, and there's a legitimate case for an interstate on that corridor, even if it's an extreme long shot.

webny99

Quote from: ski-man on November 01, 2022, 02:36:38 PM
Quote from: tylert120 on November 01, 2022, 08:02:22 AM
I wouldn't bet much on that......

I would think the section to Monroeville could be done in 25 years, or is that too optimistic?

A better bet would be the Southern Beltway between I-79 and PA 51 which probably won't even be started until the Mon-Fayette is finished.

Henry

Quote from: webny99 on February 07, 2023, 06:27:52 PM

Definitely the former, because there's already an existing I-97 but no hope that it would ever connect to PA 43. At least US 219 is a reasonable long distance corridor for I-67, and there's a legitimate case for an interstate on that corridor, even if it's an extreme long shot.
I say the latter, because although US 219 could one day become a full-fledged Interstate-quality freeway, I wouldn't dare propose any numbers for it because none of the possibilities are a good fit for it (my apologies to the late John Murtha), and all hopes of designating the corridor as one have apparently died off. Save I-67 for the US 31 upgrades north of Indianapolis.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Gnutella

Quote from: Henry on February 07, 2023, 06:51:27 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 07, 2023, 06:27:52 PM

I say the latter, because although US 219 could one day become a full-fledged Interstate-quality freeway, I wouldn't dare propose any numbers for it because none of the possibilities are a good fit for it (my apologies to the late John Murtha), and all hopes of designating the corridor as one have apparently died off. Save I-67 for the US 31 upgrades north of Indianapolis.

U.S. 219 north of Johnstown is one of four highway corridors in western Pennsylvania that I think should be upgraded to four lanes, but not necessarily controlled-access. Upgrading U.S. 219 would better connect Johnstown to the I-80 corridor, and Bradford to the rest of Pennsylvania. Another U.S. highway that I think should be upgraded is U.S. 322 from the Ohio state line to State College. It'd better connect Erie and Meadville to the rest of Pennsylvania, and State College to areas northwest. Upgrading U.S. 219 and U.S. 322 would also give DuBois a boost, being the crossroads of three major highways. I also think it'd be a good idea to run U.S. 322 concurrent with I-80 from east of Clarion to east of Clearfield, and the existing U.S. 322 upgraded and designated U.S. 322 Alternate or U.S. 322 Business.

The other two four-lane upgrades I'd like to see are U.S. 30 from the West Virginia state line to Pittsburgh International Airport, and PA 28 from Kittanning to I-80 near Brookville. Upgrading U.S. 30 would create a high-speed highway corridor from Canton, OH to Pittsburgh, and I think realigning U.S. 30 to begin its concurrency with I-376 at Pittsburgh International Airport would be a good idea too. Upgrading PA 28 would provide another option for traffic traveling between Pittsburgh and New York City/New England. For that matter, PA 66 can become an enhanced two-lane highway with wider shoulders and higher design standards north to Clarion.

ARMOURERERIC

Next section goes to bid 9/27, Section 53A2

webny99

Quote from: MASTERNC on February 22, 2024, 03:57:04 PM
More details on 53A2 were released

https://www.paturnpike.com/traveling/construction/site/pa-route-51-to-i-376-of-the-mon-fayette-expressway/mon-fayette-section-53A2/design-construction-details

If I am looking at this correctly, this section appears to be "floating". Is the section that would connect this to existing PA 43 already underway?

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: webny99 on February 23, 2024, 03:40:59 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on February 22, 2024, 03:57:04 PM
More details on 53A2 were released

https://www.paturnpike.com/traveling/construction/site/pa-route-51-to-i-376-of-the-mon-fayette-expressway/mon-fayette-section-53A2/design-construction-details

If I am looking at this correctly, this section appears to be "floating". Is the section that would connect this to existing PA 43 already underway?

Yes, has been for over a year.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.