Characters That Most People Love But You Hate:

Started by In_Correct, January 22, 2020, 03:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would You Watch More Often If That Character Was Not There?

Yes.
2 (50%)
No.
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

In_Correct

There are programmes that I like but they have characters that I can not stand. I skip their scenes. As for recurring guests I skip their episodes.

I will start with The Bob Newhart Show. Excellent programme, but they have this well liked character The Peeper.

:eyebrow:

In these episodes, Dr. Hartley is out of character also.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

hotdogPi

Fullwidth characters in general. They take up both multiple bytes and more space. I could see the point if it helps preserve monospaced fonts, but it doesn't.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Hawkeye Pierce always struck me as annoying and preachy but I otherwise enjoyed MASH (the character wasn't quite as bad in movie form). 

kphoger

The double quotation mark.  Both of them, actually.

Single quotation marks do just fine.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

This guy.  It would be a fine show if it weren't for the main character.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on January 22, 2020, 03:42:35 PM

This guy.  It would be a fine show if it weren't for the main character.

My wife felt the same way about him and that show. She claims she hates whisper speaking yet loves Keifer Sutherland who does the same in everything.

roadman65

Any one played by Steve Martin.  I could never get into anything he played at all!

Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith Show, even though he was the perfect geek and bumbling at all times to make him funny by many, many of times he was just too ridiculous.  Plus has anyone noticed that the show lasted 3 more seasons without him along with another 3 as Mayberry RFD, the continuation of the show after Andy called it quits.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on January 22, 2020, 09:18:54 PM
Any one played by Steve Martin.  I could never get into anything he played at all!

Not exactly TV but Planes, Trains, and Automobiles was the one movie I thought Steve Martin was essential to what made it work. 

hbelkins

The Late Show would be a lot better without Stephen Colbert.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Colbert is too liberal for Mr. Belkins.
I actually liked Craig Kilborn on the Daily Show. That would be the opposite - characters most people hate but I love. I thought he was the right amount of understated. I've come to appreciate Colbert though. It's a Steve thing even if he's a ph Stephe.

LM117

I didn't shed any tears when Pauley Perrette left NCIS. Never cared for her character (Abby) and she seems to be a nutjob in real life.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

I really did not like Fonzie on Happy Days toward the end of its run.  To me he was not so cool anymore and at times a jerk.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on January 23, 2020, 12:24:49 AM
Colbert is too liberal for Mr. Belkins.
Not really ... it is his sense of humor or lack thereof, jokes going over like the proverbial lead balloon.

Jokes that are about as funny as a flash flood in a Fizzies factory.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

bugo

Quote from: Rothman on January 22, 2020, 10:50:04 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 22, 2020, 10:06:04 PM
How so?

Because Colbert is soooooo mean to that poor little defenseless Trump. That's my guess.

texaskdog

Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith Show, even though he was the perfect geek and bumbling at all times to make him funny by many, many of times he was just too ridiculous.  Plus has anyone noticed that the show lasted 3 more seasons without him along with another 3 as Mayberry RFD, the continuation of the show after Andy called it quits.

I disliked Helen but really the worst was Ernest T Bass.  Type of character I like but he always got under my skin.

texaskdog

Quote from: bugo on March 02, 2020, 06:48:10 AM
How so?

Because Colbert is soooooo mean to that poor little defenseless Trump. That's my guess.

I dislike any show that mocks one side but not the other.  SNL is pretty good making fun of Democrats as well as Republicans.

texaskdog

Quote from: roadman65 on March 01, 2020, 11:11:05 PM
I really did not like Fonzie on Happy Days toward the end of its run.  To me he was not so cool anymore and at times a jerk.

ayyyy  staying in school, now that's cool!  (gotcha)

formulanone

Quote from: bugo on March 02, 2020, 06:48:10 AM
How so?

Some folks are still smarting from his irony about a decade ago, where he did manage to dig into both extremes of the idealistic visions of each party. To be fair, some folks don't like the style of constantly being peppered by jokes; the idea that if one doesn't fly, there's another in two or three seconds. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I enjoyed the Late Show with David Letterman, but it's just not the same with Colbert at the helm. It's not bad, but it just doesn't seem like the same fit; they're not the same person after all.

I think Conan O'Brien had one of those shows...I felt like the humor was spoon-fed rather than delivered. Which was a pity, because I had great hopes after his writing work on The Simpsons. But there's no denying he was successful, but I didn't care for it.

roadman65

Quote from: texaskdog on March 02, 2020, 08:04:13 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 01, 2020, 11:11:05 PM

ayyyy  staying in school, now that's cool!  (gotcha)

Well when Chachi accidentally burned down Arnold's he was being anal about it.  Al forgave him, but he still acted like he was his dad instead of his cousin.  Even Howard said he was hard on him.  It was not his business to do that and even Fonzie himself is not an angel. Dropping out of school, joining gangs, threatening people if they say the wrong thing around him, even if the others were right. Calling himself God's favorite human, and such.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman

Plus has anyone noticed that the show lasted 3 more seasons without him (Barney Fife) along with another 3 as Mayberry RFD, the continuation of the show after Andy called it quits.

Never cared for either Warren Ferguson or Howard Sprague.  Then again, the overall quality of the show clearly suffered after Barney Fife left (and Andy Taylor got a lot meaner).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

texaskdog

Quote from: roadman on March 02, 2020, 12:15:04 PM
Plus has anyone noticed that the show lasted 3 more seasons without him (Barney Fife) along with another 3 as Mayberry RFD, the continuation of the show after Andy called it quits.

Never cared for either Warren Ferguson or Howard Sprague.  Then again, the overall quality of the show clearly suffered after Barney Fife left (and Andy Taylor got a lot meaner).

hard call, color was not as good as B & W and RFD not as good as color, but I cant imagine a world without them.  Andy got mean because he went home to Helen.

TheHighwayMan3561

Seven of Nine on Star Trek Voyager. Season 4 of Voyager may as well have been "Season Seven" as the entire season was spent getting that character up to development with the rest of the main cast at their expense. Just a dull way to explore an interesting concept of a former Borg, but done entirely for sex appeal rather than character depth.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

texaskdog

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.