AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Virginia  (Read 1668642 times)

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
Re: Virginia
« Reply #5200 on: July 04, 2020, 10:35:31 AM »

I-95/VA 3 was never a diamond.  It was a cloverleaf.  And they're only taking out one of the cloverleaf loops...EB 3 to NB 95.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #5201 on: July 04, 2020, 12:55:13 PM »

I-95/VA 3 was never a diamond.  It was a cloverleaf.  And they're only taking out one of the cloverleaf loops...EB 3 to NB 95.

If I’m not mistaken, that loop ramp has been gone for a while now. I seem to recall it was closed by sometime in the fall of 2018. Route 3 to either I-95 or US-1 is our normal route home from Charlottesville, but since my reunion this year was postponed and since we didn’t make it to any football games in 2019, I know we haven’t been that way since the 2018 football season and I remember the ramp being closed already by then.

The diamond that was replaced by a DDI was ten miles north of there at Exit 140 for Stafford.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: Today at 04:27:46 AM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #5202 on: July 04, 2020, 01:43:49 PM »

If I’m not mistaken, that loop ramp has been gone for a while now. I seem to recall it was closed by sometime in the fall of 2018. Route 3 to either I-95 or US-1 is our normal route home from Charlottesville, but since my reunion this year was postponed and since we didn’t make it to any football games in 2019, I know we haven’t been that way since the 2018 football season and I remember the ramp being closed already by then.

The diamond that was replaced by a DDI was ten miles north of there at Exit 140 for Stafford.

VA 3 went from a diamond interchange to a cloverleaf in 1984.

The work (per VDOT) to remove one of the clover ramps (VA 3 EB to I-95 NB) was completed along with some other safety upgrades in Dec. 2018.  Per GMSV the ramp was still open in June 2018.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:42 AM
« Reply #5203 on: July 04, 2020, 01:56:46 PM »

US-17 was also a diamond interchange in the 1980s before converted.

1995hoo

« Reply #5204 on: July 04, 2020, 03:38:48 PM »

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:08 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #5205 on: July 04, 2020, 04:24:40 PM »

The work (per VDOT) to remove one of the clover ramps (VA 3 EB to I-95 NB) was completed along with some other safety upgrades in Dec. 2018.  Per GMSV the ramp was still open in June 2018.
It doesn't make that much sense to me to take any of them out if you're going to bring the risk that comes with crossing oncoming traffic back. This isn't the parkways of Long Island you're dealing with here.

ixnay

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:36:38 PM
« Reply #5206 on: July 04, 2020, 04:34:31 PM »

Even on a holiday:

https://twitter.com/vadotnova/status/1279496991156973574?s=21

Amateur drivers.  Open course.  Nevertheless, do not attempt.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

AlexandriaVA

• Last Login: December 22, 2022, 09:46:38 AM
« Reply #5207 on: July 04, 2020, 05:18:14 PM »

There's not much you can do if a driver is going to flagrantly opt to do something both illegal and dangerous...

Mapmikey

« Reply #5208 on: July 04, 2020, 05:55:48 PM »

It doesn't make that much sense to me to take any of them out if you're going to bring the risk that comes with crossing oncoming traffic back. This isn't the parkways of Long Island you're dealing with here.

By cross traffic do you mean the new left turn on VA 3 EB across the WB VA 3 lanes?  It is a triple left turn lane stoplight controlled intersection.

They are now building C/D lanes in both directions on I-95.  Had they known that project was definitely happening they might not needed to have removed that clover ramp, which was causing safety issues on I-95 IIRC.  The now-removed loop ramp had an AADT of 19,000.  By comparison, the VA 3 WB loop to I-95 SB has an AADT of 3,000.

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 03:14:22 AM
« Reply #5209 on: July 04, 2020, 10:04:05 PM »

US-17 was also a diamond interchange in the 1980s before converted.
US 17 also was signed differently.  It was signed for Fredericksburg and not Warrenton going SB.  The northbound is weird now signed as US 17 Business is on a supplemental sign with the main guide for US 17 North and Warrenton going NB.
  The 1984 widening changed a lot of interchanges besides signs as well.  I remember when all north of VA 54 was four lanes to many different places in the DC area.  As a child going to Florida it got choked near the Marine Corps Base Quantico.   Considering some went to cloverleafs, when nowadays they are deemed unsafe do to high traffic volumes they are like the 8 tracks of music and the VHS of videos.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #5210 on: July 04, 2020, 11:51:27 PM »

If you don't want people to cut across 3 lanes, pull your barrier back to make it impossible. This was not thought through in design.

Roadrunner75

• Last Login: July 30, 2023, 09:25:31 PM
« Reply #5211 on: July 05, 2020, 12:10:26 AM »

Even on a holiday:

(Video of stupid drivers)
Even putting up some cones or flexible delineators could help somewhat.  Cones mostly stopped the morons from cutting across into the express lanes just north of the Asbury Park tolls on the Garden State Parkway.

What would really help is some steady enforcement.  If there was a really good possibility of the VSP stalking that ramp on any given day (or photo enforcement) it would drop off a lot.  That coupled with reckless driving tickets.

sprjus4

« Reply #5212 on: July 05, 2020, 12:31:38 AM »

Even with an extended barrier, as seen in the video, some people will still try to backup and get in, which could be more dangerous than the current situation.

I still don't understand it that much, considering a direct Express Lanes entrance is provided from that on-ramp just south of the where the camera shows, and a motorist can safely enter.

1995hoo

« Reply #5213 on: July 05, 2020, 08:19:33 AM »

Even with an extended barrier, as seen in the video, some people will still try to backup and get in, which could be more dangerous than the current situation.

I still don't understand it that much, considering a direct Express Lanes entrance is provided from that on-ramp just south of the where the camera shows, and a motorist can safely enter.

It looked to me like the guy who was backing up in the latest video may already have been on the highway, rather than coming from that on-ramp, so he wouldn’t have used the ramp from Eads Street that you mention. I think they need to extend the barriers on both sides. One of VDOT's reply tweets said they’ll be making some changes soon.

mrsman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
« Reply #5214 on: July 05, 2020, 11:58:14 AM »

It looked to me like the guy who was backing up in the latest video may already have been on the highway, rather than coming from that on-ramp, so he wouldn’t have used the ramp from Eads Street that you mention. I think they need to extend the barriers on both sides. One of VDOT's reply tweets said they’ll be making some changes soon.

Are there any electronic variable message signs in this area that denote the estimated time to reach DC if you take the regular lanes vs if you take the express lanes?  I believe this would be one element that could be helpful so that people who are concerned with the delay can take the toll route.

To fix this, as I said earlier, the best thing to do would be to remove the toll on the express lanes between the Pentagon and DC.  This will allow the bridge backup to be distributed more evenly among all the lanes.  Until recently this stretch was open to all traffic without restriction at all times.

If that's not feasible, they should do the following:

Lengthen the barrier so that it is simply infeasible for ramp traffic to get on at this express ramp
Electronic signs to display the delay so that drivers can make up their mind earlier.  This should be done on mainline 395 and on VA-110 before the off ramp to 395.
Better signage on the ramps from VA-110 to get to the express lane on-ramps on Eads street.

One of the best signs to denote time, that I have seen in the NY area on the Cross Island Pkwy that tells people whether the whitestone or throgs neck bridge would be faster.  Something equivalent should be done to compare the times for general lanes and express lanes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7784049,-73.7680705,3a,75y,351.51h,81.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5EWZ14EiSYpKWpuUmb2Vlg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en-US

sprjus4

« Reply #5215 on: July 05, 2020, 12:04:38 PM »

To fix this, as I said earlier, the best thing to do would be to remove the toll on the express lanes between the Pentagon and DC.  This will allow the bridge backup to be distributed more evenly among all the lanes.  Until recently this stretch was open to all traffic without restriction at all times.
Probably the best long-term solution, but Transurban would never agree to that. They’re a private company in for a profit and that would mean revenue loss, even if traffic flow would be improved.

AlexandriaVA

« Reply #5216 on: July 05, 2020, 12:38:38 PM »

A couple reckless driving citations with heavy fines might be a sufficient deterrent.

Takumi

• now with even more cars!

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 12:05:38 PM
    • The Practical Hoon (blog)
« Reply #5217 on: July 05, 2020, 04:55:32 PM »

Even on a holiday:

(Video of stupid drivers)
Even putting up some cones or flexible delineators could help somewhat.  Cones mostly stopped the morons from cutting across into the express lanes just north of the Asbury Park tolls on the Garden State Parkway.

What would really help is some steady enforcement.  If there was a really good possibility of the VSP stalking that ramp on any given day (or photo enforcement) it would drop off a lot.  That coupled with reckless driving tickets.

A couple reckless driving citations with heavy fines might be a sufficient deterrent.
Advocating for more traffic enforcement? In Virginia? On this forum? :bigass:
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don’t @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #5218 on: July 06, 2020, 08:25:43 AM »

Apparently not on I-81 in Botetourt County, where VSP cited someone for 124 MPH (!) over the July 4 holiday weekend (posted limit there is 70 MPH according to the charging document).  Copy of document (with name redacted) on Facebook here.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

WillWeaverRVA

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:02:04 PM
    • WillWeaverRVA Photography
« Reply #5219 on: July 06, 2020, 10:22:18 AM »

Apparently not on I-81 in Botetourt County, where VSP cited someone for 124 MPH (!) over the July 4 holiday weekend (posted limit there is 70 MPH according to the charging document).  Copy of document (with name redacted) on Facebook here.

Must've been a bit light on the truck traffic for once...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Mapmikey

« Reply #5220 on: July 07, 2020, 10:02:11 AM »

The stoplight at the south end of the Warrenton Bypass has been removed. Movements are all via ramps at the not-quite-finished interchange.

Once this project is wrapped up this will eliminate heavy back ups on southbound traffic.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:01:22 PM
« Reply #5221 on: July 07, 2020, 10:18:18 AM »

The stoplight at the south end of the Warrenton Bypass has been removed. Movements are all via ramps at the not-quite-finished interchange.

Once this project is wrapped up this will eliminate heavy back ups on southbound traffic.

Well this will make my next trip to my parents' house a little quicker (whenever that happens).  Odlly, I have had few issues at the light recently even going SB.

Anyway, I recommend recentering the point at the new interchange in the HB as part of your next round of Travel Mapping Updates.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

AlexandriaVA

« Reply #5222 on: July 07, 2020, 11:18:21 PM »

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.686584,-77.7866994,17.21z

Looks like Google Maps already has two roundabouts on its map (although the satellite view still has the intersection). I like the use of roundabouts for highway interchanges in a rural area - reminds me a bit of Europe.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 11:20:26 PM by AlexandriaVA »

Jmiles32

• Last Login: October 03, 2023, 02:52:13 PM
« Reply #5223 on: July 08, 2020, 10:36:47 PM »

Seems like this planned project has kinda flown under the radar here in Northern Virginia likely due to the numerous other mega projects either currently under construction or on the horizon but big changes are planned in the vicinity of the VA-28/VA-267 interchange near Dulles Airport: http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/northernvirginia/rt_28_dtr_greenway_study.asp
Seems like the key goal of the project is to alleviate the common backups resulting from heavy southbound VA-28 to eastbound VA-267 and westbound VA-267 to northbound VA-28 movements (likely due to many commuters wishing to avoid the expensive tolls on the Greenway). The multiple tightly spaced interchanges on VA-28 certainly doesn't help matters either.     

Here is the recommended preferred alternative as well as a comparison of all the alternatives:
http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/NorthernVirginia/Rt28DTRGreenway/Preferred_Alternative.pdf
http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/NorthernVirginia/Rt28DTRGreenway/Alternative_Matrix.pdf

In addition to the improvements to the VA-28/VA-267 interchange, the VA-28/Innovation Avenue and VA-28/Old Ox Road interchanges would be greatly modified with potential interchange modifications also proposed in some alternatives at VA-28/Frying Pan Road and VA-267(DTR)/Centreville Road. While the cost estimate for the recommended preferred alternative is in the ballpark of $394 to $495 million (2020 estimate), I suspect that due to VDOT's limited funding, budget, and smart scale, we'll most likely get something closer to far cheaper Alternative 1 ($165 to $224 ballpark). However, it is possible that if a variety of additional funding sources (NVTA, Dulles Airport, Dulles Greenway Owners, private companies, local and federal government, etc.) come together, then the preferred alternative could indeed become reality. Didn't see a project time table, but regardless wouldn't expect to see major construction for at least 5-10 years.   
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: Today at 04:53:27 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #5224 on: July 10, 2020, 01:55:17 PM »

There is still frustration, though, with students who will step into a crosswalk, requiring a driver to stop, even though there isn't another car coming for several blocks behind the stopped car.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Yeah, you can never really get back those lost 30 seconds.  :rolleyes:
Tell that to the pedestrian who couldn't be arsed to lose 5 seconds.

I'd bargain the delay is equal for both. Though I usually wait for cars to pass. I don't see any reason for them to stop for me when there might not be anyone else around.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.