News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Us 71B Northwest Arkansas

Started by US71, September 13, 2019, 07:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

For those who may have missed the memo, US 71B (aka US 71 Business, old US 71) through Fayetteville, Arkansas is being turned back to the city of Fayetteville as a city street (N College Ave, Archibald Yell Blvd, S School Ave).  The changeover will likely be complete by the end of 2019.

Negotiations are purported to be underway to decommission 71B in Bentonville and Rogers, possibly Springdale.  ARDOT is eager to unload mileage to save the state money, while they continue to add new mileage elsewhere.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2019/sep/02/fayetteville-ardot-reach-agreement-on-f/
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MikieTimT

It all sounds good right up until the point they mention putting a roundabout at the intersection of Howard Nickell Rd.  Sounds like any expansion of 112 from the traffic light on isn't in the cards unless they do a multilane roundabout, which tends to be more of an aggravation than just doing a straight-up traffic light there.

US71

Another proposal is to eliminate 71B south of Garrison Ave in Fort Smith. This will likely not happen until after ARDOT improves storm drainage along Towson Ave (71B) which is scheduled for 2022.

No word on if 71B will continue north from Garrison or simply be US 64.

UPDATE: the Fort Smith Board of Directors has officially approved taking over 71B/Towson Ave 

bugo

Quote from: US71 on October 01, 2019, 09:31:40 AM
Another proposal is to eliminate 71B south of Garrison Ave in Fort Smith. This will likely not happen until after ARDOT improves storm drainage along Towson Ave (71B) which is scheduled for 2022.

UPDATE: the Fort Smith Board of Directors has officially approved taking over 71B/Towson Ave
Will the overlap with AR 255 be decommissioned as well? Will this affect the northern terminus of US 271?

US71

Quote from: bugo on October 09, 2019, 04:51:18 AM
Quote from: US71 on October 01, 2019, 09:31:40 AM

Will the overlap with AR 255 be decommissioned as well? Will this affect the northern terminus of US 271?

I doubt this will affect 255 since it's the designated truck route.

M86

Quote from: US71 on September 13, 2019, 07:31:20 PM
For those who may have missed the memo, US 71B (aka US 71 Business, old US 71) through Fayetteville, Arkansas is being turned back to the city of Fayetteville as a city street (N College Ave, Archibald Yell Blvd, S School Ave).  The changeover will likely be complete by the end of 2019.

Negotiations are purported to be underway to decommission 71B in Bentonville and Rogers, possible Springdale.  ARDOT is eager to unload mileage to save the state money, while they continue to add new mileage elsewhere.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2019/sep/02/fayetteville-ardot-reach-agreement-on-f/

In my opinion, this is definitely needed. I think all 4 cities can take that over. I've seen this in other areas and I think it generally works out well, as long as the state isn't leaving the road they're turning over in horrible condition. I haven't been to NWA since 2016, and haven't kept up on improvements.
I wonder if they'll keep the signage up? I'm betting so.

US71

UPDATE:

US 71B has officially been decommissioned north of the AR 12 junction in Bentonville. All signs referencing 71B in that area have been removed or covered.

AR 12 appears to end at Rainbow Curve and is trailblazed "TO 12" along the EW section of Walton Blvd/71B.

There appears to be a little confusion with AR 72. There is a Right Turn assembly on WB 102, but no signs on Walton Blvd/old 71B, though there is a JCT 72 assembly on Walton Blvd approaching Central Ave(AR 72 West).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.