News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Our Future 101 Ventura Project

Started by Plutonic Panda, October 07, 2022, 09:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

This project will add an HOV lane and modernize the freeway with various ancillary improvements as well. It spans from SR-23 to SR-33 in Ventura County and could cost as much as $2 billion dollars and take until 2040 to complete. If funding becomes available sooner the project maybe expedited.

Project website: http://www.ourfuture101.org/

Plutonic Panda

The preferred alternative should be chosen soon as it says "fall 2022."  Hopefully they can expedite this and get construction started soon. It'd be nice to see at least 2 HOV lanes each way added.

jdbx

That is a huge project. 27 miles, over and through the Conejo grade. That averages out to about $27MM/mile. It's no surprise they are talking about this on a decades scale.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: jdbx on October 11, 2022, 01:57:35 PM
That is a huge project. 27 miles, over and through the Conejo grade. That averages out to about $27MM/mile. It's no surprise they are talking about this on a decades scale.
I'm skeptical they could add an HOV lane plus ancillary improvements for $2 billion over this length. It seems like that number will end up being closer to $5 billion but we'll see.

Concrete Bob

I am wondering when Caltrans and/or the local authorities decided to not extend the 118 freeway west of SR 23 out to SR 126. 

skluth

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 11, 2022, 02:07:32 PM
Quote from: jdbx on October 11, 2022, 01:57:35 PM
I'm skeptical they could add an HOV lane plus ancillary improvements for $2 billion over this length. It seems like that number will end up being closer to $5 billion but we'll see.

But if they put it on a decades-long timeline, they can say it cost more due to inflation and the numbers we used at the beginning of the project were correct. Proving them wrong would take a lot of investigative work which most people won't care about anyway.

Sorry. Feeling a little more cynical than usual today.

kernals12

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 07, 2022, 09:53:06 PM
The preferred alternative should be chosen soon as it says "fall 2022."  Hopefully they can expedite this and get construction started soon. It'd be nice to see at least 2 HOV lanes each way added.

Ventura County's slow growth probably doesn't warrant 4 extra lanes. They'll probably just restripe an additional 2 lanes

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kernals12 on October 19, 2022, 12:25:21 PM

Ventura County's slow growth probably doesn't warrant 4 extra lanes. They'll probably just restripe an additional 2 lanes
Traffic congestion is choking the 101 corridor in Ventura County which is likely contributing to the lack of growth. Hard go grow when infrastructure isn't there to support it.

Regarding the restriping, I wouldn't put it past California to do something ridiculous like that but there are several parts that would need much more work done to widen the road.

SeriesE

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 19, 2022, 12:31:33 PM

Traffic congestion is choking the 101 corridor in Ventura County which is likely contributing to the lack of growth. Hard go grow when infrastructure isn't there to support it.

Regarding the restriping, I wouldn't put it past California to do something ridiculous like that but there are several parts that would need much more work done to widen the road.

There are many parts that were already widened and only need a restripe to begin using them as new travel lanes

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: SeriesE on October 19, 2022, 07:57:07 PM

There are many parts that were already widened and only need a restripe to begin using them as new travel lanes
I wouldn't say there are "many"  parts of it. I think of most of it would need to actually widened.

jdbx

Quote from: SeriesE on October 19, 2022, 07:57:07 PM

That is certainly true in parts of Thousand Oaks: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1840608,-118.8932769,3a,75y,119.69h,84.31t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sqME3MW4FB4rWQv16YnUSRg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DqME3MW4FB4rWQv16YnUSRg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D292.0728%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

SeriesE

Drove the southbound section recently. The inconsistent number of lanes bugged me a lot while I was driving it.

It changes every couple of exits so it's annoying if I'm keeping to the right except passing

RZF

Between the Conejo Grade and Oxnard Blvd, the traffic is wayyyyy too much, even during non-peak times. Three lanes in both directions cannot sustain the volume of cars that travel both ways. Carpool lanes would help tremendously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.