News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Utah Interchange Ramp Mileposts

Started by US 89, December 06, 2017, 07:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

According to this page on the UDOT website, UDOT will be installing mileposts at certain freeway-to-freeway interchanges:

UDOT has developed ramp identification signs for some of the state's most complex interchanges to help drivers, dispatchers and emergency responders quickly pinpoint the exact location of an incident - improving mobility and reducing response time.

The signs will contain a three-letter code indicating the county, interchange and ramp the sign represents. These signs will be placed every tenth of a mile on freeway-to-freeway ramps for easy visibility to drivers in need of assistance. Exact sign locations will be imported into existing GPS-based dispatch systems.

The signs will be rolled out in two initial locations in the Salt Lake Valley before being installed statewide:

Airport Interchanges (I-80/Bangerter and I-80/I-215)
Spaghetti Bowl

I've never heard of or seen anything like this before. Hopefully they will be installed at other major area interchanges in the future, like the 80/215/Foothill, 15/89/Legacy, and 15/215 south interchange.

vdeane

Many (most?) NYSDOT Regions post reference markers on interchange ramps.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hurricane Rex

I 205 has mp 1 on the end of its on ramp from I 5. Oregon counts on ramps as parts of highways. Although this is not as extreme as what's going on in Utah.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

SD Mapman

I think both KS and MO do this in the greater KC area (like I 70 to I 435 NB or something like that)... must be spreading.

EDIT: Found one, see https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0594651,-94.4891969,3a,20.2y,210.33h,86.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCWqUYyi3_TjkOO6NyJqhhw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: SD Mapman on December 08, 2017, 01:46:18 AM
I think both KS and MO do this in the greater KC area (like I 70 to I 435 NB or something like that)... must be spreading.

EDIT: Found one, see https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0594651,-94.4891969,3a,20.2y,210.33h,86.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCWqUYyi3_TjkOO6NyJqhhw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That's not a mile marker, though.

i-215

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 06, 2017, 11:46:42 PM
I 205 has mp 1 on the end of its on ramp from I 5. Oregon counts on ramps as parts of highways. Although this is not as extreme as what's going on in Utah.

That's fairly easy, since I-205/I-5 is a simple T-interchange, with only two ramps counting mileage to the mainline 205 freeway.  What UDOT is installing would go in the 15/80/201 interchange complex, where it can become fairly ambiguous which ramp is counting the mileage, since it feeds like five facilities (2100 South, State Street, 900 West, SR-201, I-15, I-80, and an I-15 collector-distributor network are all served by this interchange complex).

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 08, 2017, 08:56:22 AM
Quote from: SD Mapman on December 08, 2017, 01:46:18 AM

That's not a mile marker, though.

Not a mile marker, it's true.
It isn't just Kansas City, either:  these exist in Wichita too.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Tennessee has these:

The numbers in the little plaques at the bottom seem to stand for tenths of a mile, but I haven't measured to verify.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9973395,-83.9598316,3a,15y,36.81h,85.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sieYOnREgV2-s12J4n82bPQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

doorknob60

Boise has these around the area of the I-84/I-184 interchange:

Not sure how many there are, but it's a good handful, each with a different color, letter (which I think always matches the color), and number (I haven't figured out what the number means exactly, a lot of the signs of the same color have duplicate numbers, but not all). I read they're for emergency response which makes sense. They're not useful for normal navigational purposes though.

US 89

Article today on KSL about this: New freeway signs attempt to reduce emergency response times

QuoteThe Utah Department of Transportation is starting a new pilot program to help reduce response times for emergency crews rushing to drivers who need help.

The signs will make it easier for drivers to identify where they are along the road when calling for aid.

QuoteOver the next two weeks, work crews will install 692 blue signs in three different sections of the Salt Lake Valley: Bangerter and I-80, I-80 and I-215 ramps, and the area known as the Spaghetti Bowl.

QuoteThey are installing the signs on feeder ramps in the Spaghetti Bowl connecting I-15, I-80 and state route 201. "We've got a lot of long ramps in there,"  Blackwelder said.

Signs will also go up on ramps connecting Bangerter Highway with I-80 and North Temple, and the I-15 ramps at 500 South and 600 South. All signs should be installed by Feb. 15.

QuoteThere is a backside to the sign that has "Ëśwrong way' on it as well,"  Blackwelder said, in case the driver is facing the wrong way. The signs will be placed every 10th of a mile. The signs use a unique three-letter labeling system. The first letter represents the county, the second stands for the interchange and the third represents the ramp. A 911 operator will understand the three-line code identifying the ramp and distance on the ramp and send appropriate units to the right location.

QuoteThe pilot program costs $500,000. If it works well, they'll add more of these signs across the state where it makes sense.

rickmastfan67

US 89

Bumping this because after almost 3 years, I've finally taken the time to put each ramp identifier on a map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1WsPExOr77PFAvDGW8LsWQVLQsPfJzC4_&usp=sharing

UDOT's claim that the first letter of each 3-letter ramp code refers to the county seems to be inaccurate - all installations are in Salt Lake County, but four first letters are currently in use. Instead, it looks like the first letter refers to which mainline the ramp comes from or is otherwise most directly associated with:

- C: I-215, North Temple
- L: I-80
- S: I-15
- Y: SR 201, SR 154

The standard sign looks like this:

Endpoints of ramps are signed similarly, but have "END RAMP" instead of a milepost:

In cases where an interstate mainline exits or switches freeways - as occurs with I-80 at the Spaghetti Bowl and downtown interchanges - an enhanced mile marker similar to those used on urban freeways in many other states is used:

Finally, all of these signs are double-sided. The back side contains the same milepost information with an additional "wrong way" marker:

formulanone

will_e_777

couldn't the L just be for "Lake" in Salt Lake County
Rocky Mountain man.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.