News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Counties without federal highways

Started by Poiponen13, December 25, 2023, 06:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

This is a thread about US counties that do not have any federal highways (Interstates and US Routes). This subject is not discussed in Poiponen13 in one thread because it is about real roads and is a question. I know that there are some threads about this subject already, but they have their last post many years ago, so it was better to start a new thread.

So, I have found that eastern Kentucky has a cluster of such counties. Many counties there have no federal highways, only state highways. It would be nice to have a complete list about such counties in AARoads Wiki. What other states have them?

roadman65

Georgia has plenty, despite it having a dense amount of US routes statewide.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Poiponen13

Quote from: roadman65 on December 25, 2023, 07:27:43 AM
Georgia has plenty, despite it having a dense amount of US routes statewide.
If I remember correctly, only 10 out of 159 (6.3%) have no federal highways.

Hunty2022

Lancaster County, VA
Mathews County, VA
Westmoreland County, VA
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

oscar

Four of Hawaii's five counties (all except Honolulu).

Alaska has four unsigned Interstates. They serve Kenai Peninsula Borough, Anchorage Municipality (borough equivalent), Matanuska-Susitna, Denali, and Fairbanks North Star boroughs, and parts of the vast Unorganized Borough. The Census Bureau subdivides the U.B. into census areas, most of which are Interstate-free. The Interstate-less boroughs/equivalents are Aleutians East, Lake and Peninsula, Kodiak Island, Bristol Bay, Northwest Arctic, North Slope, Yakutat, Skagway, Haines, Juneau, Sitka, Petersburg, Wrangell, and Ketchikan Gateway.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 25, 2023, 06:54:03 AM
US counties that do not have any federal highways (Interstates and US Routes).
Calrog, is this you?

Anyway, in Michigan: Luce, Montmorency, Leelanau, Oscoda, Missaukee, Gladwin, Newaygo, Huron, Tuscola, Sanilac, Barry

roadman65

In Florida you have only Liberty and Calhoun.

In New Jersey it's only Cumberland.

Sheryl Crowe

MATraveler128

Massachusetts is easy. Dukes and Nantucket Counties.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

roadman65

New York would have all four Long Island Counties if the OP wanted US routes as the big island has no US routes. However since 1983-84 the LIE has become interstate giving Nassau and Suffolk their first and only interstate.

Sheryl Crowe

Poiponen13

An another step of this "survey" is to find all the counties which also do not border any counties with interstates.

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on December 25, 2023, 09:12:15 AM
New York would have all four Long Island Counties if the OP wanted US routes as the big island has no US routes. However since 1983-84 the LIE has become interstate giving Nassau and Suffolk their first and only interstate.
Don't mention NY and only do a half-#$% job.  There are a lot of counties in NY without a US or Interstate highway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Hunty2022 on December 25, 2023, 07:32:43 AM
Lancaster County, VA
Mathews County, VA
Westmoreland County, VA

Also:

Craig County
Dickinson County (until US 121 is built)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on December 25, 2023, 08:55:21 AM
Calrog, is this you?

Beat me to it.  Anyone want to attempt to explain Calrog and how "Federal Highway" a community faux pas?

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on December 25, 2023, 09:23:35 AM
Don't mention NY and only do a half-#$% job.  There are a lot of counties in NY without a US or Interstate highway.

I'm not going to please you by taking a few extra moments to please look it up just for your sake.  If you want to know what other counties in NY have none, you go look it up yourself!

Sheryl Crowe

Poiponen13

Kansas has only Greeley, Wichita and Lane. Oklahoma has only Haskell.

epzik8

Calvert, Caroline and St. Mary's, MD, although for Calvert and St. Mary's it's simply a case of being in a less-than-ideal location.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JayhawkCO

Colorado has Gilpin, Rio Blanco, Custer, Hinsdale, San Miguel, Pitkin, and Crowley.

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on December 25, 2023, 10:01:54 AM

I'm not going to please you by taking a few extra moments to please look it up just for your sake.  If you want to know what other counties in NY have none, you go look it up yourself!
Hello Viatologists!

The following counties in NY have no federal routes.  Learn about this and more at the Worldwide Transportation Library (WWTL)!

Orleans
Yates
Schuyler
Tompkins
Tioga (maybe for now, depending on whether I-86 ends at the county line or the US 220 interchange in PA)
Wayne
Hamilton
Fulton
Lewis

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on December 25, 2023, 01:30:42 PM

Orleans
Yates
Schuyler
Tompkins
Tioga (maybe for now, depending on whether I-86 ends at the county line or the US 220 interchange in PA)
Wayne
Hamilton
Lewis

There's also Monroe, Chemung, Chenango, and Delaware that have Interstates but no US Routes.

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on December 25, 2023, 10:01:54 AM

Hello Viatologists!

The following counties in NY have no federal routes.  Learn about this and more at the Worldwide Transportation Library (WWTL)!

Orleans
Yates
Schuyler
Tompkins
Wayne
Hamilton
Lewis

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
Well-played!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wriddle082

At the opposite end of this discussion, every county in South Carolina is served by at least two US highways.

mgk920

Quote from: webny99 on December 25, 2023, 01:51:19 PM

Orleans
Yates
Schuyler
Tompkins
Wayne
Hamilton
Lewis

There's also Monroe, Chemung, Chenango, and Delaware that have Interstates but no US Routes.

Kings, Nassau, Queens, Richmond and Suffolk Counties in New York fit that later description, too.

:nod:

Mike

webny99

Quote from: mgk920 on December 25, 2023, 02:07:21 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 25, 2023, 01:51:19 PM

Orleans
Yates
Schuyler
Tompkins
Wayne
Hamilton
Lewis

Kings, Nassau, Queens, Richmond and Suffolk Counties in New York fit that later description, too.

Wow, of course. Knew I was forgetting some. Statewide, that's 17 of 62 without a US Route.

freebrickproductions

I think Wilcox County is the only one of Alabama's 67 counties without a US or Interstate highway. Some of the others get close, wbut ith a US route just barely clipping into them.

EDIT: Geneva County as well. So that's 2/67 counties in Alabama..

EDIT 2: Clay County too. Dunno how I missed that, even though I've straight-up driven through that one...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Brandon

Quote from: GaryV on December 25, 2023, 08:55:21 AM
Calrog, is this you?

My thought too.  There are not federal highways, they are US highways and interstates, built and maintained by the states.  Now, some highways do get federal aid, but they can range from an unmarked highway to an interstate, but they typically are part of the National Highway System (NHS).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.